The new extension rules for people studying

Even if the price doubles, it's still a good deal when you consider that you get to learn the language AND stay in the country for a year without border runs. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

The thing is, at 100,000 Bt year (paid in advance for 5 years) one can stay in country with no extensions, visa runs or other hassle, and get benefits that for many are more appealing than going to school. As the price and inconvenience of studying to stay in country increases, that is a valid point.

Even if it costs 50k baht a year from here on out (which I don't think it will), the school will still be half of what the elite costs and it is paid over time instead of all at once. I do agree that at a certain point, the elite will be a better option for a lot of people. And, if the number of hours went up to something outrageous (someone said 25 hours a week at one point), then I'd probably opt for the elite. But, for now, this is still the better choice and kills two birds with one stone for me.

I don't think 8 hours a week is too much to ask. That's equivalent to less than three classes a week at a US college. Still nowhere near full time study.

12 credit hours a week qualifies as full-time study in the US. That's 12 hours in class per week. Your professors keep you plenty busy for the rest of the week with reading and homework. Perhaps some Thaivisa posters who think that 25 hours is a full-time course load have never gone to college, or went so long ago that they forgot. The baseless and unsubstantiated rumors which get posted on this forum are astounding.

I can't imagine that Thai Immigration would ever require 25 hours, that's just someone doing a wind-up and trolling the forum. 20 isn't unheard of to qualify for a student visa in developed countries. Since Thailand fancies itself a developed nation, they are probably headed to 20 hours in the long run, but I believe it would take a long time to get there, since anyone who can afford to spend that much time studying will choose to go somewhere nicer like Australia or Japan.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If one has already gone through 5 or 6 years with ED Visas to study Thai, could he/she be granted a visa for another year? In otherwords, do they have a limit to the number of years of ED Visas for that?

If one has already gone through 5 or 6 years of staying in Thailand on ED Visas, then that 'one' is 'one' of the 'ones' that the changes are aimed at...!!

Even if the price doubles, it's still a good deal when you consider that you get to learn the language AND stay in the country for a year without border runs. Totally worth it, in my opinion.

The thing is, at 100,000 Bt year (paid in advance for 5 years) one can stay in country with no extensions, visa runs or other hassle, and get benefits that for many are more appealing than going to school. As the price and inconvenience of studying to stay in country increases, that is a valid point.

Even if it costs 50k baht a year from here on out (which I don't think it will), the school will still be half of what the elite costs and it is paid over time instead of all at once. I do agree that at a certain point, the elite will be a better option for a lot of people. And, if the number of hours went up to something outrageous (someone said 25 hours a week at one point), then I'd probably opt for the elite. But, for now, this is still the better choice and kills two birds with one stone for me.

I don't think 8 hours a week is too much to ask. That's equivalent to less than three classes a week at a US college. Still nowhere near full time study.

12 credit hours a week qualifies as full-time study in the US. That's 12 hours in class per week. Your professors keep you plenty busy for the rest of the week with reading and homework. Perhaps some Thaivisa posters who think that 25 hours is a full-time course load have never gone to college, or went so long ago that they forgot. The baseless and unsubstantiated rumors which get posted on this forum are astounding.

I can't imagine that Thai Immigration would ever require 25 hours, that's just someone doing a wind-up and trolling the forum. 20 isn't unheard of to qualify for a student visa in developed countries. Since Thailand fancies itself a developed nation, they are probably headed to 20 hours in the long run, but I believe it would take a long time to get there, since anyone who can afford to spend that much time studying will choose to go somewhere nicer like Australia or Japan.

...well said. When I studied for my MSc degree, I attended 16 hours of seminars and lectures per week, but it was made clear to us that for each hour in class, we needed to spend approximately 2 to 3 hours in library/private study. We actually didn't need to be told that because it was obvious that the classes only provided the basic building blocks.

For those on here who whine about 8 hours per week of class studies, well I guess, they are the ones that these changes are directly aimed at...!!

• Like 1

If someone's financially independent, why would immigration target them for studying, say, muay thai for 5, 6, or even 10 years? This is an appropriate use of the visa.

8 hours a week probably isn't a dealbreaker for me, but four days a week might be. I didn't come to Thailand to be chained to a desk four days a week, if I want to do that I can go home and get paid a lot of money for it, more money than 99% of the Thai population can dream of!

Edited by itsuptome
  • Like 1

Come to Thailand, spend your money and time learning the Thai language and then go straight back home to your country where nobody speaks Thai but feel free to come back on the occasional holiday.

But you can still learn other languages in Thailand, if you choose to do so. Here in Pattaya I have seen schools offer English, German, French, Japanese, Chinese and Russian classes.

Edited by balo

If we are thinking on purely educational lines, then the hours of study are nonsense and have no basis in how we learn. What we do outside the class...reading up, research etc are equally important and to stipulate the same hours for what are in reality hundreds of different courses is just daft and shows no understanding of education whatsoever.

On the other hand, if it is just continuing the "trend".... Then " I told you so".

Come to Thailand, spend your money and time learning the Thai language and then go straight back home to your country where nobody speaks Thai but feel free to come back on the occasional holiday.

Isn't it like that with students visas in every country?

The intention of the student visa is to study, I believe?

The intention of the student visa is to study, I believe?

Well, that's just crazy talk. cheesy.gif

Seriously, though. Contrary to popular belief, there are some of us that are actually interested in learning the language. Honestly, I was wondering just how much instruction I'd really get in 4 hours a week. 8 hours (plus some study time at home) is going to get me fluent a whole lot faster.

• Like 1

are these new rules retroactive?

Next month i back to Thailand with 6 moths left ED visa from a non-formal school. will they give me my 6 monhts left or 30 days?

thank you

The new rules about extensions of stay. Rules for visa have not changed.

If you have a non-imm "O" visa, you will be allowed to stay for 90 days at time, same as before.

If you have an one year extension of stay and re-entry permit, that will be the last one, you will have to leave country for a new visa when it expires. In this case you can be questioned on why you have been been away so long, you may have to show school paperwork, etc.

But you can still learn other languages in Thailand, if you choose to do so. Here in Pattaya I have seen schools offer English, German, French, Japanese, Chinese and Russian classes.

I wonder if someone from the UK could enroll in an English language class

Thanks for your answer but i don't get it. i don't have non-imm "0", but 1non imm with 1 year ED extension. Maybe i don't get the difference between extension and visa. I've 1 year ED visa with multiple entry which i have to report every 90 days, emitted by a non-formal school. Now i am abroad for 2 months and when i back i should get the 6 months left, but considering these new rules i am not sure what will happen at the airport immigration. (PS: i speak thai but don't have paperwork)

Next month i back to Thailand with 6 moths left ED visa from a non-formal school. will they give me my 6 monhts left or 30 days?

thank you

If you have a non-imm "O" visa, you will be allowed to stay for 90 days at time, same as before.

If you have an one year extension of stay and re-entry permit, that will be the last one, you will have to leave country for a new visa when it expires. In this case you can be questioned on why you have been been away so long, you may have to show school paperwork, etc.

Edited by bartlaz

Thanks for your answer but i don't get it. i don't have non-imm "0", but ED visa. Maybe i don't get the difference between extension and visa. I've 1 year ED visa with multiple entry which i have to report every 90 days, emitted by a non-formal school. Now i am abroad for 2 months and when i back i should get the 6 months left, but considering these new rules i am not sure what will happen at the airport immigration. (PS: i speak thai but don't have paperwork)

Sorry, I stand corrected, "ED" visa. Nothing has changed for that. You should be allowed 90 days in country, not 6 months. To be on the safe side, you should carry a letter from the school, school card, etc.

Edited by paz

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks for your answer but i don't get it. i don't have non-imm "0", but ED visa. Maybe i don't get the difference between extension and visa. I've 1 year ED visa with multiple entry which i have to report every 90 days, emitted by a non-formal school. Now i am abroad for 2 months and when i back i should get the 6 months left, but considering these new rules i am not sure what will happen at the airport immigration. (PS: i speak thai but don't have paperwork)

Sorry, I stand corrected, "ED" visa. Nothing has changed for that. You should be allowed 90 days in country, not 6 months. To be on the safe side, you should carry a letter from the school, school card, etc.

thank you. maybe i was unclear too. i meant 6 monhts with previous report at immigration after 90 days, so i can stay 90+90. my visa 1 year non-imm with 1 year ED visa which i have to report every 90 days. i'am worried they tell me this ED expetision is not valid anymore and i get 30 days

I wonder if someone from the UK could enroll in an English language class

If you're Irish with a funny accent then why not.

thank you

G'day Mario2008 and Paz,

I currently hold a 12 month multi-entry ED visa with the last "Enter Before" being 15 Dec 2014. Just wanted to confirm that I should be OK and that the change in rules doesn't affect me? For what it's worth I do attend school but don't do extensions etc - rather just leave the country for a 2-3 day break every 80-85 days.

Cheers,

ptorphy.

I don't know anyone on an Ed visa studying a non-Thai language. When I looked into it I couldn't find any info on it, every school's website only seemed to process the Ed visa for Thai courses. I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.

I don't know anyone on an Ed visa studying a non-Thai language. When I looked into it I couldn't find any info on it, every school's website only seemed to process the Ed visa for Thai courses. I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong.

There are several schools in Bangkok and a few in Pattaya. Not all of them with a website.

Here is one offering English in Pattaya.

http://www.kosonlanguageschool.com/788097/english-language-courses

Just try to google and you will find several non Thai language schools.

Thai is NOT useless at all. I've heard this before from people who drink all night and can't say "How are you?" after 200-hours. When back in the USA, you can go to Thai restaurants and get a good laugh speaking a little thai. Your friends will wonder, "is that language hard?" It will open up doors to conversation. It will help you learn other languages, and have employers give you more credit for being cultured than you deserve. In fact, speaking Thai has way more potential for profit outside of Thai than, say, Spanish. Everyone speaks Spanish, little demand for Spanish-speaking people.

If someone called English useless while living is the USA, I think they would be happier leaving. Useless and unable to speak English is much different.

I don't feel bad for the farangs who are in Thailand and get so mad they don't understand anything. It's their life, let them be miserable. I don't care.

After reading many informative and constructive posts on this topic, I can't help but also read the negative.

TVF is a great source of information but it also houses many who consistently reside in ivory towers that remain determined to have those of us legitimately on ed-visa's meticulously scrutinized whilst we try to promote our own skills and more personal interaction with the Thai's themselves. I am currently on an ed-visa as it is a lawful way of residing here under 50 but my motivations to study aren't purely because I am unable to obtain a retirement visa. I was married to a Thai and in every culture not all marriages are successful so I am now divorced. One reason I would suggest why was because of the language barrier between us. Most of us are willing to comply with the ed-visa rules and over time those who have jumped on board the education wagon as an option out of doing visa runs will get weeded out if they aren't willing to maintain an attendance and attempt to learn. Thai is a difficult language but given time and some personal commitment to study, some Thai's might warm further to more of us rather than just seeing a possible high percentage of foreign expats and sexpats continually willing to sit on the other side of the proverbial fence and be outspoken about the country they chose to reside in.

I agree with many other poster's that if you are going to live here then for your own benefit, your girlfriend or wife's benefit or your newborn child's benefit etc, being able to communicate with all of the above in addition to situational occurrences that may also require conversing with hospital staff, the police or immigration would actually be to your own advantage regardless of your age. Simply implying you have a visa other than an ed means you don't need to bother with the language in my opinion could just be one reason why things are being strengthened. We have all heard in our own countries the catch call of "If they come here then they should learn the language, follow our local rules and integrate with the rest of us". Well, we are now those same people. For those of us who are willing to comply and adjust to the new yearly applications of ed-visa's and the possibility of the spoken increase of school attendance hours will in doing so lessen our chances of problems and will probably be more respected by immigration by showing the initiative. For the doom and gloomers, the sky is not falling but if you are determined to post threats of leaving Thailand, can I suggest you turn your light off when you go? Some have suggested that other visa's may soon come under the same scrutiny. I wonder just how high the ivory tower will stand then?

TVF and its moderators have worked tirelessly during this visa adjustment period to keep its members informed with as mush information as possible. Hat's off to you guys for your efforts and continuous support of the expats who heavily rely on the information that you provide!!! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Some language schools indeed offer courses for other languages not just Thai but those are private lessons with foreigner teachers therefore the fee of those are at least three or four times more than a regular group based Thai class. And you can pick only such language that is not indicated as your native language in your passport. So the elite card is better alternative.

The question is whether just the right to be able to stay in Thailand worth 100k+tax per year or not. By the way, does anyone has info about universities offering international evening classes for adults here that give degree of some short? Some of those curriculums cost 40-50k per semester. I'd rather study there and get something "real" once if I have to pay more.

Another question is that will they make it harder to get another one year ED-visa at the embassies after the current expires. Or do they just want people to leave the country more often by some reason? Same is the question for the extension of stay at the immigration offices. Is that just going to be more frequent or will their attitude change as well?

The question is whether just the right to be able to stay in Thailand worth 100k+tax per year or not. By the way, does anyone has info about universities offering international evening classes for adults here that give degree of some short? Some of those curriculums cost 40-50k per semester. I'd rather study there and get something "real" once if I have to pay more.

8 hours per week + travel time to and from school + the immigration check-ins + the added expense and the headache of it all, just to learn Thai, makes no sense unless someone REALLY wants to learn Thai. Like you said, you could learn something else, something of real value, and be able to extend it past the 18 month limit (if I understood that correctly).

• Like 1

8 hours per week + travel time to and from school + the immigration check-ins + the added expense and the headache of it all, just to learn Thai, makes no sense unless someone REALLY wants to learn Thai. Like you said, you could learn something else, something of real value, and be able to extend it past the 18 month limit (if I understood that correctly).

what 18 month limit?

what 18 month limit?

Before you had a 3 years course time allowed to study Thai and off you go, back to your country, although we could extend again if you wanted to further your studies.

Now since we are studying twice the amount of hours,the course finishes in 18 months instead of 3 years