22 restaurants in Hua Hin guilty of overcharging their customers

webfact

I never realized there were gov't regulated "fixed" prices on prepared food, anywhere on this planet (including the Land of wai2.gif) So what would actually be considered as being GUILTY of "over-charging" a customer? Please enlighten me. I'd really appreciate it. Cheers rolleyes.gif   

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't understand this whole discussion. I've only been living here for two years but have NEVER eaten in a restaurant where the prices were not disclosed. If your foolish enough to order things from a menu does not disclose prices, then sadly thats your problem. I have been to Hua Hin many times. I even check the prices of beers befor I order them. Having said that last night took squeeze to bangkok beat. Good music but nearly fainted at first bill. However no cover charge.
Does anyone jump into a taxi in bkk and say " take me to pattaya, turn meter off. Just tell me what I owe you when we arrive"

From the news this morning on Thai TV it seems the Military is acting on the complaints by Thai customers that was scammed. Thai customers has been filing complaints for years with the local police but nothing happened of course. They interviewed some restaurant owner who showed their menu with the uber prices in front of the camera, then the report switched to the complainants who said they where shown a totally different menu when they ordered the food, and that menu which they ordered from had reasonable prices.

Of course it is OK to scam "falang" but when the scam affects Thai people it seems it is time to take serious action.

• Like 2

Who judges if something is expensive?

Can we complain about the price of wine?

We, the ones who have worked very hard for our money, judge if the prices are excessive, and it is a perfectly valid judgment. Of course, the best statement we can make once we make that judgment, is not to patronize the establishment. There is such a thing as a fair profit. It is when the owners are making a decent living, and the customers do not feel as if they were violated by thieves. So, we let our feet do the talking. I will not eat at a restaurant that does not post the prices on the menu. If that is the case, they have something to hide, and most of the time, they have felonious intentions. My friends and I make it a point of avoiding pirate (restaurants that are out of control with their pricing) joints. We select the ones that are fair with their pricing, and that is who we patronize. Since the authorities are too cowardly to call out these thief joints by name, we can do so by using trip advisor, or other internet forums, that have no concern with cowardly and poorly advised libel laws. It is our responsibility to call out each and every one of those swine, and make sure their business is injured, and suffers. I did that recently with the Kitchen, at the Central Mall in Samui. They were charging 380 baht for a whole chicken. The next week I went in, and the chicken had shrunk to half of its former portion. Not acceptable. I called them on it, and have not been back since. They were very offended. The manager, had a very bad attitude. No sense of customer service. And he was a foreigner. That is the least we can do, is walk, and never come back. It is the least we can do, to try and maintain a reasonable and fair pricing atmosphere here.

• Like 1

Ive just realized ive been overcharged every time I go out for a beer because they are always more expensive in bars/gogo's than the 7/11.... who should I complain to ?

In go go bars you pay more because of entertainment hence can't complain.
But just watch how much they will really charge you for the beer when on entry girls showing price of beer eg.65 bht...later you probably will pay more then 100

Price for a "som tam" is between 30 and 50 Baht for food stalls anywhere around Pattaya and somwhere in the vicinitiy. If you go anywhere close to a restaurant n those regions it is very much more. But how complicated can it be? Get mortar, a boink boink vessel and start bock bock away, talk about primitive coocking lol any idiot can mortar away a spicy salad. let us start talking about the cuisine of southern France for example, are there any "bock bock" and spicy salad there?

LOL. Your comments made me laugh hard! Good one. Preparing Som Tam isn't much of a complicated process but it can still be tricky in getting the right kind of flavor... wink.png Nonetheless, I agree that it should not be priced too expensively like the beach restaurant that is stated in the OP.