Registration and numberplate for Electric Bikes

PhuketGreenbike

Hi there....

I have business in Phuket for rent and sell electric bikes >>>> phuketgreenbike.com

Anybody understands the registration procedures in Thailand????

Obviously the law says,that bikes below 45 km/h speed and below 50cc (or 500 W) cannot be registered.

Does this mean they cannot have insurance?Can they be driven legally on the road?

The Land Transport Office says:sorry,electric bikes are not in the book,so we do not know....

I have pretended to buy an electric scooter through website on Thai company.They confirm,that their scooter cannot be registered.On the question if it is legal on the road,they are quiet......or say they are not sure.

Anybody knows about registration of 50cc miniscooters???I have seen small bikes on the road with numberplate with red bar in the center.Is this special plate??

Thanks for your replies

Josef

I read that they were in the same category as bicycles.  THey cannot be registered as they do not need to be.  If you hit someone or something you are of course liable for any injuries and damage.  Insurance for liability to others can be obtained privately.

Are you seriously telling us you have been selling them without any thought of the legal situation of these bikes?

If you could tell me how to find out what is legal and what not in Thailand..that would be of great help...obviously this are "Bicycles" as they have pedals...thats what some policemen say,I was driving into the yard of Chalong police station and asking...thats what some people at landtransport office are saying...I was driving into their yard and asking....but what is official and in writing???

There must be something,as everybody says 50 cc miniscooter do not need registration....

Are you seriously telling us you have been selling them without any thought of the legal situation of these bikes?

If you could tell me how to find out what is legal and what not in Thailand..that would be of great help...obviously this are "Bicycles" as they have pedals...thats what some policemen say,I was driving into the yard of Chalong police station and asking...thats what some people at landtransport office are saying...I was driving into their yard and asking....but what is official and in writing???

There must be something,as everybody says 50 cc miniscooter do not need registration....

I would not sell them if I did not know the consequences and regulations.

• Like 2

It begs the question , if they need to be registered then surely follows you need insurance too ?

What would happen if someone hired one had an accident and required insurance ?

Could be a difficult situation for the OP to find himself in.

Maybe invest a few baht and go to Sunbelt Asia or similar to find out for sure.

Good Luck and hope you get a definative answer before something like that happens.

Edit ,

Just remembered , several years ago I actually bought an electric bicycle for the MIL from Tescos and they never required any registering process , so is it fair to say no licence needed ??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by N47HAN

It begs the question , if they need to be registered then surely follows you need insurance too ?

What would happen if someone hired one had an accident and required insurance ?

Could be a difficult situation for the OP to find himself in.

Maybe invest a few baht and go to Sunbelt Asia or similar to find out for sure.

Good Luck and hope you get a definative answer before something like that happens.

Edit ,

Just remembered , several years ago I actually bought an electric bicycle for the MIL from Tescos and they never required any registering process , so is it fair to say no licence needed ??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If they can be registered,it is easy,because they can get also insurance......

If they cannot be registered,they cannot be insured because any in insurance is tied to the individual bike with ID number.

So the question is,....even if they do not need....can they be registered and can then get an insurance.

so far,everybody who rents a bike is signing to acknowlwedge that there is no registration and no insurance...use it at your own risk.

But it would be much better if I could solve this issue....

Hope you can sort it quickly if nothing else for your peace of mind.

Would the highway dept. In BKK be able to advise ?
Perhaps worth a phone call ?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by N47HAN
  • Like 1

Its a tough road with the gov officials. I had thai friends make several call to the LTO,even someone meeting with the former head of LTO....

it goes from: We dont know as Electric bikes are not mentioned in the law, to Electric Bikes cannot be registered because they are not in the law.

Big C and others are selling electric scooters,but they do not know or care about registration.

Maybe I have to go and sit on an officers desk in Bangkok........

I've been using an electric 3 wheeler scooter on Phuket  for over 3 years now.

It is a GT150 "Boss" model from Bkk - 400W and gets along up to 35 kmh and reverse gear is useful.

I have permission to use it for local use around Kamala from the local Police chief after reference to the OrBorTor.

(local use is a moot point as it can't climb the hills that surround Kamala to go too far).

However it does give a great deal of independence within those parameters.

After exhaustive inquiries (Phuket and BKK) I also got the answer that it can't be registered because (a) it is electric and (cool.png it is 3 wheels - despite the hordes of modified saelengs around - strictly speaking they are not legal.

As it can't be registered it can't be insured and no licence is required.

A while back Honda brought out a 49cc leaning trike which were popular with under-age students for the same reasons as above.

Unfortunately I couldn't ride it due to balance problems.

I've only been stopped by the BIB to have a gawk - as soon as I say "electric" they smile and wave me on.

Edited by Evilbaz

I've been using an electric 3 wheeler scooter on Phuket  for over 3 years now.

It is a GT150 "Boss" model from Bkk - 400W and gets along up to 35 kmh and reverse gear is useful.

I have permission to use it for local use around Kamala from the local Police chief after reference to the OrBorTor.

(local use is a moot point as it can't climb the hills that surround Kamala to go too far).

However it does give a great deal of independence within those parameters.

After exhaustive inquiries (Phuket and BKK) I also got the answer that it can't be registered because (a) it is electric and (cool.png it is 3 wheels - despite the hordes of modified saelengs around - strictly speaking they are not legal.

As it can't be registered it can't be insured and no licence is required.

A while back Honda brought out a 49cc leaning trike which were popular with under-age students for the same reasons as above.

Unfortunately I couldn't ride it due to balance problems.

I've only been stopped by the BIB to have a gawk - as soon as I say "electric" they smile and wave me on.

Same with me.....I drive a big looking electric scooter without license plate myself....some discussion with police,but no problem...I showed them the spec,which says 40 km/h and 500 W...they said ok,but you can drive it only in your local village....I said ok,phuket is my local village.....

I drive also a 3 wheeler with a solar panel installed as a roof...same thing...some discussion with the police,..but no problem.

The problem is,as i am selling,I need clarity... I want to import the big ones with 6000 W and 100km/h speed....

Easy answer........don't sell them! Let Mr Greenbike sell them instead! wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Easy answer........don't sell them! Let Mr Greenbike sell them instead! wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Answer to which question?

Its a tough road with the gov officials. I had thai friends make several call to the LTO,even someone meeting with the former head of LTO....

it goes from: We dont know as Electric bikes are not mentioned in the law, to Electric Bikes cannot be registered because they are not in the law.

Big C and others are selling electric scooters,but they do not know or care about registration.

Maybe I have to go and sit on an officers desk in Bangkok........

thumbsup.gif The only way