I went to a military controlled beach on Sunday.

benj005

I believe the beach is called Sai Keaw beach. I don't know if the name is correct.

It was a pleasant surprise. It was very clean which I wasn't expecting. The water was crystal clear and a joy to be in. The only thing I didn't like was the ride up the side of the mountain to get to the beach. We were all crammed on a baht bus and the driver was moving very quickly. I thought we were going to spill over. My Thai friends and girlfriend were laughing at me. Has anyone been on this beach?

I've been on Pattaya beach and quickly left because of the filth. I was afraid I might actually step on a hypodermic needle. Edited by benj005

If you go to the Navy beach at the weekend you have to take the 'baht bus' over the mountain (pot luck whether you get a sane driver or not).

If you go during Mon-Fri you can usually take your own car/motorcycle all the way to the beach.

I was told that the beach-side car park is reserved for Navy officers at weekends, but I don't know if that is the true reason.

My wife has to leave her Thai ID card at the security lodge.

There are quite a few foreign couples/families going to the beach so I guess they must hand over their passports.

On one occasion, a few years ago, we were refused entry (no foreigners allowed and no explanation given). I assume there was some special event or VIP visit that day.

The navy military beaches are the hidden gems of Thailand's beaches.  Unlike public beaches, they keep out vendors and hawkers (though the Junta seems to be handling them on public beaches now).   They are usually clearner than the other beaches because the military makes the lower ranking enlisted men clean it.  

• Like 2

The navy military beaches are the hidden gems of Thailand's beaches.  Unlike public beaches, they keep out vendors and hawkers (though the Junta seems to be handling them on public beaches now).   They are usually clearner than the other beaches because the military makes the lower ranking enlisted men clean it.

"the military makes the lower ranking enlisted men clean it."

Pity they don't do the rest of the beaches too ?

In fact, wouldn't it be great, if people doing their national-service could opt for community-service instead, build more/better roads & bridges or schools ? smile.png

But i guess that would upset the current contractors and their tea-drinking arrangements. wink.png

Did you need to show your passport?

I did not need to show my passport. My girlfriend had my passport in her bag so it would have been fine if they requested it. 

No issues. I saw a lot of farang men in skimpy thongs though.  :(

And it was not packed by Russian ? You were very lucky !

I saw a few Russians.

I don't know if they would like to see Americans though. The Russian/ American issues are getting bigger every day. 

Hopefully, we can work something out. 

Edited by benj005

Ao Manao is supposedly one of the best beaches in Thailand.

Here's a pic for those unfamiliar with it.

aow_manao2.jpg

The half moon shaped bay is all owned by the Thai Air Force, so not commercially developed like you see in Phuket or Pattaya.  Unfortunately, a bit off the beaten track (i.e. not near major cities)  so hard to get to compared to other places. (Which may be a good thing.)