Yangon govt eyes space for more telecom towers

DagonKhan

Yangon govt eyes space for more telecom towers

Published on Tuesday, 12 August 2014 00:11

Foreign telecom operators will be permitted to rent land owned by government ministries in Yangon Region to set up transmission towers, according Aung Khin, Yangon Region’s transport minister.

The regional government has set up a team with members from the Yangon City Development Committee, city development and communication departments to facilitate the process, he said.

The team can availability of land plots selected by the telecom operators, Aung Khin added. Rental fees would need to be negotiated with City Hall, officials said.

One of the biggest challenges facing the two foreign operators setting up networks in Myanmar – Ooredoo and Telenor – is finding land for the towers. Some towers have been set up on the roofs of apartment blocks.

http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7170:yangon-govt-eyes-space-for-more-telecom-towers&catid=33:business&Itemid=356

• Like 1

There was an article sometime ago as I recall that mentioned that Myanmar Railways would be leasing land around their railway tracks for the purposes of building towers. Considering they have a circle line that runs around Yangon I would have thought that would have been a good opportunity for these companies. There's one at North Okkalapa I know of, but that predates Ooredoo/Telenor.