Samui airport welcomes the first ever flight from mainland China

Lite Beer

Samui airport welcomes the first ever flight from mainland China

Lucky-Air-3-300x225.jpg

SAMUI: -- Today, 12 of August at 3pm the first every Lucky Air flight from mainland China touched down in Koh Samui with CEO Mr Ding Yongzhen onboard, as well as thee Vice manager of Ankeyunda Air Agent service Co.,Ltd,Mr Chen Yanbin and the Ceo of Fenghe International Travel Co.,Ltd,Mr He jian, the CCT Travel group were there to welcome them.

The route will operate three times a week on Tuesday’s Thursdays and Saturdays direct from Kunming’s Changshui International Airport. Flight 8L9897 will depart at 12.15 local time and arrive in Koh Samui at 2pm, the return flight, 8L9898 will leave Samui at 3pm arriving at 18.45.

The Samui flights will mark Lucky Air’s second international service, following the launch of a weekly flight from Kunming to Singapore via Guiyang in January 2014.

The new route will be operated in tandem with Anke Yunda Air Service, a Tianjin-based tour operator which also operates charter flights from more than 10 Chinese cities to destinations in South Korea, Maldives, Singapore and Cambodia.

Lucky Air is a subsidiary of Hainan Airlines, China’s fourth largest carrier. Their fleet consists of 3 Airbus A319-100, 4 Airbus 320-200, 11 Boeing 737-700 and 4 Boeing 737-800.

stimes.jpg

--Samui Times 2014-08-12

• Like 1

What about all the other airlines trying to get landing rights there? How did they get this? Why can't other airlines get this? What about the maximum flights in out that needs to be considered? How did they get around that?  Who and what are they paying for this privilege? How come for years this has not been possible and now all of a sudden it is?

What about all the other airlines trying to get landing rights there? How did they get this? Why can't other airlines get this? What about the maximum flights in out that needs to be considered? How did they get around that?  Who and what are they paying for this privilege? How come for years this has not been possible and now all of a sudden it is?

This is not a first.

For some time now Firefly, Silk Air and Thai Airways all have been landing daily at Koh Samui.  There are also the occasional charter flights.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Samui is a small island, isn't it ?

China is a large country, isn't it ?

Not sure what your point is, but the tourists do not stay here. They actually go home after their holiday.wink.png I am surprised that you did not realise this.

In my experience - they come to Samui for 3 - 5 days, visit the beach each day, stay and eat in their rental villa, shop at the local supermarket and are well behaved. Bring them on I say. thumbsup.gif

I am glad I do not live on Koh Samui!!

So am Iwhistling.gif 

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

It's simple, Samui is a privately developed and run airport, if an airline is willing to pay for landing rights and it makes economical sense to fly that route then it's doable. 3 extra flights a week in and another 3 out is no big deal. Perhaps a few slots have opened up and this airline had the dollars available to grab them.

I've been sitting at departures and seen a few private jets land, 5 - 8 people deplane and wished I had the money to fly like that.
  • Like 1

For one downhill, for the other improved, others again adapted. You want beach, sea, wind and a hut go to Koh Payam, you want beach, shopping, nightlife and a room in a highrise go to Phuket, you want the middle of that go to Samui. 

• Like 1

Welcome, you quality tourists with your free visas in Lala-Land thumbsup.gif

My visa exempt has always been free, why is it such a big deal for the Chinese to get a free visa for a short holiday?

They are not given visa exempt stamps, they receive free 60 day tourist visas.

Nobody seems to know. One thing is certain. No matter how much cash BA put up to build the airport, they should not be allowed to control it. It is a grievous error on the part of the government to allow this. A horrendous lack of judgment. Prayuth should wrestle control back from BA, and open it up to competitive airlines. BA should be compensated for money spent, but allowing them to operate this monopoly, and charge the prices they do for this route is a travesty at best, and a heinous offense at worst. Any additional airlines allowed to fly into this BA franchise airport is a good thing, and I welcome it.

If only Air Asia and Nok Air could get landing rights, then the party for Bangkok Airways will be over.

• Like 1

Nobody seems to know. One thing is certain. No matter how much cash BA put up to build the airport, they should not be allowed to control it. It is a grievous error on the part of the government to allow this. A horrendous lack of judgment. Prayuth should wrestle control back from BA, and open it up to competitive airlines. BA should be compensated for money spent, but allowing them to operate this monopoly, and charge the prices they do for this route is a travesty at best, and a heinous offense at worst. Any additional airlines allowed to fly into this BA franchise airport is a good thing, and I welcome it.

If only Air Asia and Nok Air could get landing rights, then the party for Bangkok Airways will be over.

And so will it then be for most current residents...

Bangkok Airways (operator of Samui Airport) flies to six destinations in China.

So which is it guys and gals? Do you want the tourists or don't you? Some say want and others say don't wamt, which is it.

[quote name="Ling Kae" post="8238878" timestamp="1407931397"]

[quote name="Gulfsailor" post="8238742" timestamp="1407929255"]

[quote name="Ling Kae" post="8238312" timestamp="1407924095"]
 [quote name="spidermike007" post="8236999" timestamp="1407906789"]
 [quote name="Ling Kae" post="8235027" timestamp="1407855765"]
What about all the other airlines trying to get landing rights there? How did they get this? Why can't other airlines get this? What about the maximum flights in out that needs to be considered? How did they get around that?  Who and what are they paying for this privilege? How come for years this has not been possible and now all of a sudden it is?[/quote] 

[/quote] 
 [/quote]
 [/quote]

So which is it guys and gals? Do you want the tourists or don't you? Some say want and others say don't wamt, which is it.

[/quote]

From a personal perspective I like the bloated prices Bangkok Airways charge. It stops a lot of the budget travelers going to Samui, which as a result means that accommodation is mostly higher scale boutique resorts and villas and less condos and massive high rise hotels, as seen in places like Pattaya and Phuket.

You are so wrong there. Budget travelers will find ways to get here regardless. I see plenty of Chinese budget tourists on AirAsia and NokAir.

In June, I actually checked out and inspected every hotel on beach side Chaweng from Al's Resort to Chaweng Cove and personally I wasn't impressed at all of what's available. A friend needed accommodation so I decided to personally check out what was available. Major issue on nearly all of them is cleanliness. It would look seemingly clean, but on closer inspection such as top of picture frames, doors, etc, there would still be thick of dust.

Besides, here in Samui, there's a rule not allowing buildings than to about height of coconut trees.
Your logic regarding high BangkokAirways prices doesn't really make sense. Edited by Mole

What most current residents?? Speak for yourself man!

I certainly am not one of those, and I'm pretty sure a MAJORITY of both resident expat and native would welcome cheaper direct flights, and in fact, if you are one of those who feels the party will be over, it's even more reason to have AirAia and NokAir here. Edited by Mole

You are so wrong there. Budget travelers will find ways to get here regardless. I see plenty of Chinese budget tourists on AirAsia and NokAir.
<snip>
Besides, here in Samui, there's a rule not allowing buildings than to about height of coconut trees.

<snip>.

Budget travelers, including Thai people take the ferries. They always have. Samui has always been able to cope with them without taking away from the boutique feel.

There once was a 5 story limit law on hotels in Phuket. What ever happened to that?

Three direct scheduled flights from China per week don't worry me, but large wide-bodied charter flights would. That's what ruined Phuket IMO. 

• Like 1