Any visa run updates from Suvarnabhumi Airport after 12 August ?

I arrived to Suvarnabhumi on the morning of August 12. No problems for me (I have Non-imm M with re-entry permit), but the guy in the line next to me was getting a hard time because he had no visa and no proof of onward travel within 30 days... He appeared to be a mainland European, probably Dutch, German, Belgian or somewhere in that vicinity. I got through before his situation had been resolved, but the officer servicing him had left his desk and apparently gone to see a supervisor. Not sure what ended up happening. I've arrived many times on a 30-day stamp with no proof of onward travel and never had a problem at immigration -- could be an early sign of the new crackdown.

"The forum has been quiet so far"

There are Thousands of them locked up in the DM and Swampy detention centre awaiting extradition ?

​Shouldn't joke about it actually Im flying back in on 28th after going out on the 4th, 

I did a run right before the 12th but seems to me they are really picking certain kinds of people to check. I'm American and 30's and its not even a question of them checking because my passport is loaded with stamps and they are not even looking at them or inspecting them at all. I am not going to believe that I will get rejected at the border until I read someone here give their exact details and say that actually got rejected flying into BKK. The reality is just saying they were going to start being strict has already scared a lot of people into leaving the country anyway. If I was Russian or Korean i think I would take it more seriously. 

I arrived to Suvarnabhumi on the morning of August 12. No problems for me (I have Non-imm M with re-entry permit), but the guy in the line next to me was getting a hard time because he had no visa and no proof of onward travel within 30 days... He appeared to be a mainland European, probably Dutch, German, Belgian or somewhere in that vicinity. I got through before his situation had been resolved, but the officer servicing him had left his desk and apparently gone to see a supervisor. Not sure what ended up happening. I've arrived many times on a 30-day stamp with no proof of onward travel and never had a problem at immigration -- could be an early sign of the new crackdown.

i think the reason was he dont have return ticket within 30days.

Then I wonder if them actually checking that is new.

Last year I did 11 or 12 visa exemption stamp runs, and I already had about 6 sets of Thailand stamps in my passport from 2011-12, and not once did they hesitate or pause or ask me any questions, check funds or onward travel plans. Some were at BKK, some at DMK.

Now I have a visa etc, so don't anticipate having any problems, but I wonder how much the 'new' rules will affect day to day operations at the airports. Lots of backpackers come in without onward tickets, because they'll want to just buy a bus ticket from their hostel when they move on.

• Like 1

Hey All,

Whilst this reply is not fully appropriate to the thread (apologies), it may help/relax people obtaining Tourist Visa from London before travelling to Thailand after 12th August, or other Western Countries.

My situation:

Last 3yrs I have 4 visa except border run stamps whilst travelling across neighboring countries.

Also stamps from many other countries in Asia as well as India, Nepal, & a few Chinese monthly rollover visas.

Between November 2013 to June 2014 I received 3 back to back Tourist Visas including X2, 30 day extensions.

I left one month into the 3rd visa to return to the UK where I spent 2 months.

This month and for the first time, I decided to visit London Thai consulate for a 2 month Tourist Visa.

Friendly Thai staff, was seen within 5 minutes, transaction took under a minute. 

Following day passport handed to me.

No questions asked during both days Consulate visits.

Flew out a few days before 12th August.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport, immigration chap checked passport, typed computer, checked passport again briefly, typed on computer, then told me to proceed.

No questions asked, though I was carrying various documents to validate my tourist status and a planned itinerary.

Also had 25k cash on me though I hear you can bring in 50k Baht, more would strengthen your Tourist case.

Have to say the guy organising the immigration lines was chirpy & friendly, the 12-15 immigration lanes were stacked with queues with no visible issues....ching ching!

I had no return ticket, as my plans will change & I dont return to UK until June next year, though was planned to explain all this if necessary....

I was considering a new Passport from the UK, though they have huge backlogs, whether this helps who knows...... best not to unnecessarily worry, until it happens and that appears a huge IF imho.......storm in a teacup maybe?

Good luck & thanks all!

A4C

Edited by all4corners
  • Like 1

Hey All,

Whilst this reply is not fully appropriate to the thread (apologies), it may help/relax people obtaining Tourist Visa from London before travelling to Thailand after 12th August, or other Western Countries.

My situation:

Last 3yrs I have 4 visa except border run stamps whilst travelling across neighboring countries.
Also stamps from many other countries in Asia as well as India, Nepal, & a few Chinese monthly rollover visas.
Between November 2013 to June 2014 I received 3 back to back Tourist Visas including X2, 30 day extensions.
I left one month into the 3rd visa to return to the UK where I spent 2 months.

This month and for the first time, I decided to visit London Thai consulate for a 2 month Tourist Visa.
Friendly Thai staff, was seen within 5 minutes, transaction took under a minute. 
Following day passport handed to me.
No questions asked during both days Consulate visits.

Flew out a few days before 12th August.
At Suvarnabhumi Airport, immigration chap checked passport, typed computer, checked passport again briefly, typed on computer, then told me to proceed.
No questions asked, though I was carrying various documents to validate my tourist status and a planned itinerary.
Also had 25k cash on me though I hear you can bring in 50k Baht, more would strengthen your Tourist case.
Have to say the guy organising the immigration lines was chirpy & friendly, the 12-15 immigration lanes were stacked with queues with no visible issues....ching ching!

I had no return ticket, as my plans will change & I dont return to UK until June next year, though was planned to explain all this if necessary....

I was considering a new Passport from the UK, though they have huge backlogs, whether this helps who knows...... best not to unnecessarily worry, until it happens and that appears a huge IF imho.......storm in a teacup maybe?

Good luck & thanks all!

A4C

Because your the not the type they are looking for. They are looking for people that are out and right back in month after month. Mainly visa exempt.

Not in August. I been Thailand January stayed 20 days then go Cambodia & back by land stay again 15 days and back country .
I back Thailand 26 June no visa . Immigration check my passé port asked me why u come many time u have Thai wife .no l just like country . Since 2006 l been 35 times in Thailand almost full passeport . He didn't ask me ticket out but l shade ticket go siem reap .l stay 26 June to 14 July then l go Cambodia l stay 10 days l back by bus .l get 30 days visa France no problem didn't ask anything .8 august l back country at immigration suwanaphum . Arrive passeport control 2 guy at immigration
At right side 6 people pass guy at immigration and at left side Russia girl (immigration guy) still look at her passeport & stamp many times .l pass after her he scan pssseport & stamp 15 second

Sry for my English Edited by gringo99

I just wonder why people get mad abt Thailand . I have my own condo in Bkk and l rent apartment in Cambodia pay 200$. I have my 1 year visa in Cambodia for only 290$ . I just spend 10 or 20 days in Cambodia then l back Thailand .its really easy to clear abt problem stay in Thailand for sure u not stay all time but why u mind if u not work illegal there .spend 6 month Cambodia & 6 month Thai better than stay in Europe with shit weather lol

I just wonder why people get mad abt Thailand . I have my own condo in Bkk and l rent apartment in Cambodia pay 200$. I have my 1 year visa in Cambodia for only 290$ . I just spend 10 or 20 days in Cambodia then l back Thailand .its really easy to clear abt problem stay in Thailand for sure u not stay all time but why u mind if u not work illegal there .spend 6 month Cambodia & 6 month Thai better than stay in Europe with shit weather lol

So how long do you stay in Thailand before you return to Cambodia ? What type of thai visa do you use ?  

There are Thousands of them locked up in the DM and Swampy detention centre awaiting extradition ?

​Shouldn't joke about it actually Im flying back in on 28th after going out on the 4th, 

Do you mean extradition or do you mean deportation?blink.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do you mean extradition or do you mean deportation? alt=blink.png>

Err , I didn't really mean anything it was a bit of a joke . If it is important to you that the punch line is both factually and legally correct I could ask one of the Moderators to change it for you. i wouldn't like to think my Faux pas was upsetting people

Often on exempt visa . I just make tourist visa for renew my Thai driving licence .sometimes l go just 10 to 40 days stay Cambodia .l never stay more than 6 month year in Thailand
I really think best way to stay in Asia . Cambodia u have ur 1 year visa home so if 1 day u have problem u dnt need go back ur home country . Just go back Cambodia u not scare be denied at border or something like that with Thailand Edited by gringo99