Hua Hin Beach to be better organised

Lite Beer

most beach entrepreneurs have consented to removing their stalls and understand the aim of the clearing.

Oh.. I really believe that! I am sure that they were all thrilled with the prospect of losing their livelihood and gravy train!

/sarcasm

I hope they tear down all those ILLEGAL piered restaurants. They make the place look like a complete shithole.

The place stinks, it is filthy and you would never know it was a beach at all. The local mafia businesses have stolen that public land for their own.

I would love to see the lot bulldozed into the ground and returned to a beach resort.

They have made their money there judging by the crazy prices for basic Thai food. Now its time to go and open on your own land and return the public beach to the public.

Ate there once a long time ago,seafood.30 mins later i was running to the dunny with clenched cheeks.Just finished and my gf at the time came barreling in.We shared that toilet all New Years bloody Eve.Never went back and didnt eat seafood for a long time.

How DO you share a toilet? Back-to-back legs off the sides?? Missionary??  One in the upper deck one on field level??  

The mind boggles (well, mine does), please louse1953 answer this one. Writing is good but a picture speaks a thousand words! whistling.gif

I wonder if all those buildings on the beach will go.

The area around Chao Lay, is where a few wonderful outside restaurants, serving great food at excellent prices are situated and is part of Hua Hin.

I assume, and hope, that they aren't talking about that area. It's not really a beach there anyway, but a series of piers that have been there for years. The umbrella area near Centara is the area that I can see needs a clean-up. If those restaurants are demolished I don't think I'll go back to Hua Hin.

I think they probably are referring to those seafood restaurants illegally built on stilts over the public beach that have ignored orders to clear the area in the past.  Reflect for a moment on who lives just up the road andit might help  you get the picture.  People like staying at resorts illegally built in Khao Yai and some may have been there for many years too but it doesn't make them legal or save them from being demolished in the current environment.  I have been known to eat there myself but, if they are removed in accordance with the law and for the greater good of the environment, I won't shed a tear for them or their owners who have made great profits from their illegal businesses already and probably paid little or no tax. However, I will feel sorry for the staff who will become unemployed.  If it happens, hopefully they will be able to find new jobs.

• Like 2

I always stay at hotels with their own beaches as Hua Hin has nothing to offer in that regard. But it is a clean town and at least its well kept and kind of cool looking, compared to most other town in Thailand which have no interesting architecture or soul.

So you think a town where every building down town is totally covered with condo adverts , and where they are now putting bill boards on the roofs of most buildings, where mini vans control half the legit parking, motor bike taxis cost triple Bkk, this is cool ? Guess you have never travelled.

If it's so awful how come there's so many people on this area of the beach. Last time I was in HH the sunbed/umbrella area was full
of Bangkok weekenders trying to stay out of the sun and eating the seafood I'm sure they wouldn't put up with rubbish food. If you
go for a walk only a short distance south there is plenty of sandy beach with small sunbed areas scattered along the way. I went for a long walk from there right down to Takiab and it was quite good to sit down for 30 mins. half way with a cold beer out of the sun. What's wrong with a bit of choice
some people like to walk to the beach and sit down straight away others like to take a stroll and find a quiet place for themselves.

Tourist, not local no idea.

Johnnie99, on 13 Aug 2014 - 16:28, said:Johnnie99, on 13 Aug 2014 - 16:28, said:

Wait - Hua Hin has a beach?

There is one if they, the Ruling Party did the same as in Phuket and other places

attachicon.gifHua Hin beach.jpg

Look at the road and then and remove all that is on Public Land on the right of this photo to the east/sea, then you will have your real Hua Hin bay and beach.

In Cha Am there is no problem with their beach.

Win facepalm.gif

And I'm sure the Thai's are fully aware of the dangers of asbestos and how to remove it professionally.

In cha am the problem with the beach is the price they charge at public holidays, total rip off.

Nobody goes to Hua Hin for the beach. 90 km. south on that coast the beaches start to improve, and throughout PKK province, from about 20 km north of PKK city, on south, the beaches are amazing. From Thap Sakae, to Ban Krut, and south to Ban Saphan, the beaches are fantastic. But, in HH? The water is funky. No fault of the local officials, like is the case in Samui, where the local officials have been dumping waste water for a generation. But, the area is marshy, and the water is just murky. However, the vending, and the overpriced tourist joints on the beach could be cleaned up, and/or regulated. That would be quite an improvement. Basically, any improvement is better than a free for all. 

We stayed at PKK last November and enjoyed Ao Manao Beach which is on the Royal Thai Air Force Wing 5 base and you have to cross the runway (and sometimes show your passport) to do so. There are loungers on the beach, restaurants which hire them or free if you dine there or have food/drink delivered. There are sideshows and attractions. All very nice, quirky and interesting - and all under the control of the Air Force! We will be passing through there again in November on the way to a few days at Ban Krut and, of course, we expect all the illegal structures and businesses on the beach will have been removed. Won't they? wink.png wink.png wink.png

Sounds like Hua Hin is being used as the model for other Thai tourist destinations to adhere to as in the last few months since the junta took over we have seen the bars and night clubs patrolled on a regular basis and shut down without warning!Then of course the local immigration officer warning tourists to carry their ID with them at all times and a Thai first...authorities warning us that 22 beachside restaurants are overcharging tourists.Now if only Phuket authorities and police had an agenda like this!!

I always stay at hotels with their own beaches as Hua Hin has nothing to offer in that regard. But it is a clean town and at least its well kept and kind of cool looking, compared to most other town in Thailand which have no interesting architecture or soul.

But haven't you heard....No hotel has a beach.  The beaches belong to the people.

Yet another measure which will be generally popular with foreign visitors and residents, but a body blow to the the affected "entrepreneurs" and countless thousands of ordinary Thais who rely on them for an income to feed their families.

While one appreciates the long-term thinking behind the seemingly endless roll-out of clamp-downs and clean-ups, is it really necessary for enforcement be so ruthless and swift, rather than carried out in phases? After all, many of these illicit practices have been established over decades, with officialdom apparently more than happy to turn a blind eye (yes, we all know why). So why the sudden rush to destroy long-established custom and practice which benefited the local community enormously.

In the short term, the economic consequences of this latest proposed clean-up at Hua Hin will be substantial. Some of the displaced entrepreneurs may have sufficient savings to start a business elsewhere. But their low-wage employees will suddenly find themselves with no income, no state help and no prospect of finding an alternative job quickly - a situation which is bound to hit many families hard and push yet more poor people into the ever-open arms of unscrupulous money lenders and loan sharks of which the current regime clearly disapproves. 

It is hard to believe that this is a humanitarian problem the generals would wish deliberately to create - and they must know that, if pushed hard enough, even the humblest worms are bound to turn.

I agree. Hua Hin is a nice town. I am told there is a large Scandinavian ex-pat population there, with money. They place seems to really benefit by their presence, as it continues to improve. The bar scene gets better all the time, from my point of view, and the food scene is great too. A lot going on there. Also hard to beat the geography, in terms of proximity to the international airports, BKK, the coastline south of Hua Hin, etc.I hope to be able to visit frequently in the near future, as I plan to live in PKK province , sometime soon. Great area, especially south of PKK city. 

If it's so awful how come there's so many people on this area of the beach. Last time I was in HH the sunbed/umbrella area was full
of Bangkok weekenders trying to stay out of the sun and eating the seafood I'm sure they wouldn't put up with rubbish food. If you
go for a walk only a short distance south there is plenty of sandy beach with small sunbed areas scattered along the way. I went for a long walk from there right down to Takiab and it was quite good to sit down for 30 mins. half way with a cold beer out of the sun. What's wrong with a bit of choice
some people like to walk to the beach and sit down straight away others like to take a stroll and find a quiet place for themselves.

Tourist, not local no idea.

Yes I'm only talking from Tourist point of view. IMO most people that live near the sea hardly ever visit but the tourist goes to the beach most days

on their holidays. When I visit for holidays I don't hang around near that part of the beach but it's nice to walk along and watch the kite surfers etc

and grab a beer along the way.

PS Most seaside towns go out of their way to accommodate the tourist not just look after the locals no matter where you are in the world.

Plenty of money to be made out of tourism.

Edited by ToneG

But haven't you heard....No hotel has a beach.  The beaches belong to the people.

Last time i heard. The beaches belong to the King ?

Last time i heard. The beaches belong to the King ?

King or people does not matter. But beach does not belong to vendors or their financial supporters.

I wonder if all those buildings on the beach will go.

I hope not and it's interesting that people say that Hua Hin has no beach.
It hasand there are plenty up and down the coast. The area around Chao Lay, is where a few wonderful outside restaurants, serving great food at excellent prices are situated and is part of Hua Hin.
I've been here for 10 years with my family and it would be a disaster to see such an iconic food location disappear just because some fool want to lie on the beach and get brown, with most of them being Europeans who some of whom spend the rest of the year slagging of people with brown skin.
Hua Hin has had a backdrop of history where the wealthy have wanted to build a super marina in the exact same location and this could be yet another attempt to service the whims of the rich and infamous, along with some of those so called bimbo super stars. 
How about spending some time on getting the roads fixed, improve parking and give the police a decent well-earned salary, so they don't have to scam everyone in an effort to feed their starving families.
My first post :)

Hope it's your last. BS

[quote name="spidermike007" post="8242075" timestamp="1407997373"]

[quote name="spermwhale" post="8238130" timestamp="1407922035"]

[/quote]

I agree. Hua Hin is a nice town. I am told there is a large Scandinavian ex-pat population there, with money. They place seems to really benefit by their presence, as it continues to improve. The bar scene gets better all the time, from my point of view, and the food scene is great too. A lot going on there. Also hard to beat the geography, in terms of proximity to the international airports, BKK, the coastline south of Hua Hin, etc.I hope to be able to visit frequently in the near future, as I plan to live in PKK province , sometime soon. Great area, especially south of PKK city. [/quot

You should try living here, your views would change rapidly.