Hotels In Chiang Mai

Blackandwhite

What is favorate hotel in Chiang Mai  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hope I have done this poll properly, not done one before, sorry for any spelling errors

Please suggest others should your favorate not be one of the above.

Had to vote 'other'.. Can't see anything special about the places you listed:

Rydges: Ugly behemoth building should never have been allowed to get built there.

Chiang Mai Plaza: Has a double pricing policy

Mae Ping: Fair enough if you can get a good deal from an agent, like 1200 baht or so. They don't approve of brining in any Thai friends though, which is apparently a consideration for some. :o

Lotus PSK: Huge building, not all to much character to it.. Fair choice.

Amari: Very expensive and far out of town. Not a bad choice if you don't mind the price

Now as for what I would choose.. ;-) I don't know. You're obviously in the high-end, so perhaps check out "Tamarind Ville".. Lot of style to that one, and good central but less-touristy location.

I voted others as all listed are out of my range of prices ...

so many small family hotels in Chiang Mai, nicer, not an impersonate stuff like the plazza :o

It's a long time that I did not spend a night in any of them, but one like the prince hotel could fit me quite well :D

francois

As most of the posters are expats and consequently rent (or own) a house, I don't understand the purpose of this poll/thread.

I did not know that this site was for people living in Thailand only. Sorry about that old mate maybee you should state that somewhere so all the visitors to the site do not bother to register unless they live in LOS. Or is it just a few of your members ( Adjan jb ) that thinks the Thaivisa site belongs only to them for the use only of them, if so then that is cool also !!!!!. In my opion you should welcome all posts. Please can someone advise me Cheers. :o If this is just your old time members being ignorant I belive they should be put right on the purpose of the site.

As most of the posters are expats and consequently rent (or own) a house, I don't understand the purpose of this poll/thread.

I did not know that this site was for people living in Thailand only. Sorry about that old mate maybee you should state that somewhere so all the visitors to the site do not bother to register unless they live in LOS. Or is it just a few of your members ( Adjan jb ) that thinks the Thaivisa site belongs only to them for the use only of them, if so then that is cool also !!!!!. In my opion you should welcome all posts. Please can someone advise me Cheers. :o If this is just your old time members being ignorant I belive they should be put right on the purpose of the site.

Sorry about that. I didn't mean to offend you.

Altho I am a resident of Thailand, I do come to Chiang Mai for visits,and I try to save as much money as I can.

I usually stay in a guest house or sometimes a small hotel as I do not need all the ambiance of a fancy place, To me a hotel is just a place to sleep and shower and prefer someplace that is as quiet as possible and night life is not my prime objective.

I usually stay at the GOLDEN FERN guest house over on 20 soi 8 phrapokklao rd. they have good clean accommodations,air and a clean,good restaurant,and not to far out.

I fear the major difficulty with this poll is that so few of the regular contributors stay in hotels here. The last time I did so was in 1976 and it is now no longer a hotel, just a pile of rubble. (Not much different from when we stayed there.)

If someone else is paying I suppose the Regent might get my vote, but my real vote goes to my home....

What about a place to veg out for a couple of nights away from home?

A place with UBC, great room service, great food, great massage, great beds, giant bath, mountain view..?

Or how about a mountain hideway with a private swimming pool (and UBC!) ?

:o

What about a place to veg out for a couple of nights away from home?

A place with UBC, great room service, great food, great massage, great beds, giant bath, mountain view..?

Well, if you really want to be comfortable then:

Four Seasons

Sheraton

Tamarind Village

And bring plenty of cash.

In November you can go stay at the new Oriental just outside of town. I've been to the grounds for dinner and its spectacular. Again, bring lots of cash.

Guest IT Manager

I have just been advised that Rydges is offering Forum Members a rate of 1,350 baht nett, including American Breakfast, from the day after Songkran. April 16 I believe.

Apparently, it is still full until then.

I have just been advised that Rydges is offering Forum Members a rate of 1,350 baht nett, including American Breakfast, from the day after Songkran. April 16 I believe.

Thanks for the advertising. I hope AJ is giving you something extra in your paypacket.

Guest IT Manager

Yes. I get an extra cup of coffee every morning. And the big bonus is I get to choose if I come downstairs when folks call to complain about me.

Yes. I get an extra cup of coffee every morning. And the big bonus is I get to choose if I come downstairs when folks call to complain about me.

And I thought you were just comming down to talk to those good looking girls in reception.

• 1 month later...

What about the Suriwongse Hotel?

I have never been in Chiang Mai but I am planning to visit it soon. As I read that the Night Market is a must, I thought a hotel at walking distance of it would be nice.

By looking at the map I think the Suriwongse is at a good spot. I have a preference for this above the others because the building from the outside looks more acceptable and it is not as big; only 160 rooms.

Does anybody have any information about the Suriwongse Hotel?

No first hand opinion on the Suriwongse hotel, other than that it looks regular tourist class and is right ON the night bazar road. This is the most touristy area of town you could possibly be in, but if you don't have a problem with that then it's a good choice I suppose. (Depending on how much they want for a room of course. Also check out the Mae Ping hotel which is also walking distance from the Night Bazar.

Actually, getting to the night bazar is easy no matter where you are. Personally I prefer to be inside the city moat, the old town area. It's quieter, less touristy and lots of little lanes and temples to walk past. Any 'red bus' share taxi will take you to the night bazar for 10 baht, and the pink city bus also goes there.

Cheers,

Chanchao

mountain view..?

:D

:D:D:D

Try, Kan (Kanchanaburi) when you are around BKK for a few days, only 2 and a bit hours West of BKK.

Mountains are plenty, UBS, well we are short on these, Private SwimPool naaaaa.

River Kwae Yai is O.K. not as muddy as Ping River, but the views are most beautiful now that the rains have come. Mountains clear as a bell, no Cough Cough Pollution and loads to see if you have your own 4WD like I have. Jolly Frog Restaurant only charges 55 baht for a Large Singha for us and to the Thais, beat that !!!! Chaing Mai ???

and see for yourselves.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/kanchanaburi

Click and discover the real Paradise in Thailand.

and maybe you to Kan Win in Paradise......................... :o

mountain view..?

:D

Try, Kan (Kanchanaburi) when you are around BKK for a few days, only 2 and a bit hours West of BKK.

Mountains are plenty, UBS, well we are short on these, Private SwimPool naaaaa.

River Kwae Yai is O.K. not as muddy as Ping River, but the views are most beautiful now that the rains have come. Mountains clear as a bell, no Cough Cough Pollution and loads to see if you have your own 4WD like I have. Jolly Frog Restaurant only charges 55 baht for a Large Singha for us and to the Thais, beat that !!!! Chaing Mai ???

and see for yourselves.

http://www.pbase.com/win13/kanchanaburi

Click and discover the real Paradise in Thailand.

and maybe you to Kan Win in Paradise.........................

I guess I should have cancelled that request... :o

Dreams fulfilled at home, with a mountain view :D

But, I do like Kanchanaburi a lot. I used to live in Nonthaburi and Taling Chan, with pretty fast access to that area. It was where I went when I needed to escape Bkk for a break...

Especially beautiful in the rainy season, na'? :D

Thanks Chanchao for your comments on the Suriwongse. I will choose a hotel in the centre and try to avoid the tourist groups. I noticed that several hotels have free shuttles to the night market in the evening.

Suriwongse is also in there, and again not a bad price. (Never seen the rooms though).

I also have never used the Suriwongse but from reviews I have read it seems to have passed its 'use by' date for a number of people.

I believe you should try to avoid Suriwongse - lopburi3's info seems to be correct - its heyday is over according to 2 people in the Chiang Mai hotel business I know.

Royal Princess hotel is also right in the middle of the Night Bazaar and should be better value for your money, if u really must be in that area.

If not, follow Chanchaos advice and look at something in the Old City. There are no 3-star-and-up hotels in that area though, but it is very nice and quiet with some cobbled streets and private homes with lush vegetations. Guest houses and temples a-plenty as well.

Thaphae Gate can be considered the city centre, so anything in that area is very central and convenient, but apart from the Night Bazaar, it also has the highest concentration of tourists. Anything close to the moat on either side is central enough as Chiang Mai is a small city.

> There are no 3-star-and-up hotels in that area though

Well, not many but there are some. B.P City Inn (formely Felix Hotel) is solid 3 star. 4 star there's Tamarind Ville (1600 baht or so). Very nice design, but small rooms. Technically Top North Hotel is on the inside of the moat as well so this may qualify. :o 2 star (if that) is the Anodard Hotel. I once met someone who really liked it. Aircon rooms for like 300 baht or whatever. In my mind it may also qualify as THE ugliest building inside the old city..

Note that some guesthouses are really nice, clean and comfortable. Kristi House comes to mind, even without aircon the building keeps really cool, and rooms even have a bathroom with bathtub and hot water. Goes for 180 baht I think.

Anyway.. how low can I go... Muang Thong hotel anyone? ;-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Suriwongse is also in there, and again not a bad price. (Never seen the rooms though).

I also have never used the Suriwongse but from reviews I have read it seems to have passed its 'use by' date for a number of people.

Well past the use by date along with the Amari Rimcome, Phucome (nobody's mentioned) The Imperial Mae Ping, Chiangmai Plaza (little Tokyo) and the "in the process of being Dusitfied" Chaing Inn Plaza, and so many others around town. All are becoming extremely tacky, including one of my old favourites, The Royal Princess on Changklan.

"What is your favourite hotel in Chiangmai" OK, you must work for the TAT and want "propper" information.

Favourite hotel for what? Spending a naughty weekend away with the "Mia Noi"? Putting up the aged rellies when they visit? Putting up the Thai in-laws?

OK here's my favourites........

Weekend away with the Mia Noi...................Mae Sa Valley Resort (well away)

Aged rellies...............................................Imperial Mae Ping ( has SAGA)

Thai in-laws...............................................Felix City Inn (middle of town)

For me to relax..........................................Empress on Changklan (great)

For all the rest that I havn't mentioned, many reasons for not using them.

Shearaton (Westin)...Far too sterile

Regent Resort....Great if you are retired and love golf

Al Farouk......Don't like goat curry

Sri Tokyo......Rising sun land

Phucome......Resident fauna in the bathrooms

Chiangmai Green Hills...too many fag burns in the carpet from wayward hookers

Chiangmai Orchid......Claustrophobic rooms

Imperial Mae Ping....Ditto

Lana Palace....Well...erm... they do have the best chinese restaurant in town

Amity Greenhills.....Void of human life forms

I could go on ad infinitum, but boring.........

Oh yeah, one I forgot...The Duang Tawan in Loi Kroh. When it was open, it had a cocktail bar to rival any in Singapore or Hong Kong, and the crumpet there was out of this world. When it reopens (if?) I just hope they retain the cocktail lounge, complete with 12 inch pianist! (remember that joke?)

Could be great once more!......

Duang Tawan.. is that that huge building that's perpetually under construction?? Was open like a couple of months YEARS ago, then back to their usual mode of operation: being under construction. ;-)

Are you serious about the goat curry at Al Farooq...? might give it a try then. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao