ATM scammers reap Bt1million at Krabi

webfact

CRIME
ATM scammers reap Bt1 million in Krabi

KRABI: -- ATM skimming has already taken more than Bt1 million from 40 ATM users in Krabi province during the past week.

A told of 40 victims had come forward since August 7. The victims include Taweepong Charoenroop, captain of Krabi FC team. He has found that Bt323,868 was withdrawn from his bank account via an ATM transaction without his consent.

Another victim has identified the ATM at the Krabi City Hall as a machine with problems. He put a sign there saying, "Do not use this ATM. I withdrew money from it at 8.20 am on August 13 and found that my account was hacked for use in Taiwan. Best wishes". It is a Krungthai Bank machine.

Pruetipong suspected that a gang from Malaysia had hacked the information about a month ago before beginning to withdraw cash.

The bank reportedly has assured its customers it will take responsibility for damages. Krabi police chief Maj General Nantadej Yoinuan said after the problematic ATMs were identified, police would check recordings from closedcircuit security cameras.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/ATM-scammers-reap-Bt1-million-in-Krabi-30240842.html

[thenation]2014-08-13[/thenation]

I happening eveywhere now, and it seems like it is easy here in Thailand right now.So many stories about this scam. I don't use ATMs outside banks anymore. Always go to the bank. Show my id, withdraw from a transaction by a machine, get the paper and take the money and out. Take a little more time, but absolutely secure and no fee smile.png

Could not agree more. After being skimmed on my Kasikorn card, I cancelled the ATM card and use my bank book inside the bank with passport ID. And I was offered no apology or refund or even look at the ATM video, by the Kasikorn.

I happening eveywhere now, and it seems like it is easy here in Thailand right now.So many stories about this scam. I don't use ATMs outside banks anymore. Always go to the bank. Show my id, withdraw from a transaction by a machine, get the paper and take the money and out. Take a little more time, but absolutely secure and no fee smile.png

I always try to use ATMs INSIDE the bank - and not just in Thailand either.

Who has a daily withdrawal limit above £6,000? Is it irresponsible of the bank or the customer...aside from the (alleged) thieving little s#![$.

hahaha totally agree, this happened to me in BKK but i have a limit of 20,000 thb per day and have a phone message everytime cash is taken out of my account, so if this happens i'm off to the bank in seconds and block the account !

• Like 1

After being skimmed on my Kasikorn card, I cancelled the ATM card and use my bank book inside the bank with passport ID. And I was offered no apology or refund or even look at the ATM video, by the Kasikorn.

That is what KBank call "Service Excellence"

• Like 2

I wonder who foots the bills for all those millions that are being syphoned out fro the ATM?

the banks? the insurance companies? all I know, that some how, in the end, the customer,

you and I, will foot the bill for the losses......

Apparently is related to lack of chips in Thai credit (debit) cards - Quote below of post from elsewhere, worth a try if you have to use a unchipped card

Mr Chumpon revealed a new technique to help prevent ATM cards from being skimmed: when removing the card from the ATM, do not remove it in one swift move.

“Skimming devices need a ‘clean swipe’ to obtain the data from the magnetic strip,” he said.

“So you when you remove your card from the ATM, pause halfway through, then remove the card. You could even reinsert it part-way. Anything that breaks the rhythm of a clean swipe. This should help prevent the card from being skimmed when you remove it from the machine.”

• Like 2

I always use ATMS I have two accounts  , one with the big money and one with another bank , never use the ATM for the big money , just change by computer to the small money account . Never have to go to the bank again . Can't stand bank lines and if I am ripped of by the small money ATM card  NO PROBLEM .clap2.gif clap2.gifclap2.gif clap2.gif  Never had a problem anyway , nobody has my pin except me .

"Pruetipong suspected that a gang from Malaysia had hacked the information about a month ago before beginning to withdraw cash."

It seems they are skimming the data and then waiting a month or more before using it.

Thai banks are going to have to decide the cost/benefit of implementing chip technology. When the chips come watch out for higher ATM fees.

Apparently is related to lack of chips in Thai credit (debit) cards - Quote below of post from elsewhere, worth a try if you have to use a unchipped card

Mr Chumpon revealed a new technique to help prevent ATM cards from being skimmed: when removing the card from the ATM, do not remove it in one swift move.

“Skimming devices need a ‘clean swipe’ to obtain the data from the magnetic strip,” he said.

“So you when you remove your card from the ATM, pause halfway through, then remove the card. You could even reinsert it part-way. Anything that breaks the rhythm of a clean swipe. This should help prevent the card from being skimmed when you remove it from the machine.”

Ah Ha, Not sure? Who does this trick help? If this is the answer why is it heard only on one post on a relatively obscure web forum.

Just make sure you remember that the after-hours ATMs that can be accessed by swiping your ATM card can also be compromised—at the door, rather than the ATM.

It seems the best way is still to cover the keypad as you enter your data.

Got skimmed twice this year. First time was in April (30,000 THB) and the last time in June (46,000 THB).
Bangkok Bank still hasn't returned the money that was gone.

You really think they will refund ? I think you will have a long wait. Kasikorn told me they have no refund policy.

This is very disturbing. We’ve been living in Egypt for the last six years, where this kind of crime is virtually unknown. But we’re moving to Thailand in October. We will have to upgrade our security thinking when we do.

Is this primarily a problem that involves cards without CHIP & PIN technology, or are we all vulnerable?

This is very disturbing. We’ve been living in Egypt for the last six years, where this kind of crime is virtually unknown. But we’re moving to Thailand in October. We will have to upgrade our security thinking when we do.

Is this primarily a problem that involves cards without CHIP & PIN technology, or are we all vulnerable?

What the European body has found is that the vast majority of ATM fraud for their citizens occurs outside of the continent—in SE Asia, South America and the U.S.—as they have widely implement C+P technology. It is still important to cover the keypad when you enter your pin, as the cheapest and most widely used skimming devices involve a camera device located somewhere in the ATM.

The primary reasons that fraud still affects Europeans outside of the EU, even though they have C+P cards, is that ATMs in countries where C+P technology has not been established properly use a secondary magnetic strip on the ATM card that European banks are forced to include, so that their customers can use ATMs abroad. Also, other types of devices have been intercepted, such as claws that physically prevent bills from being dispensed and devices that prevent your card from being returned to you. If you ever lose a card in an ATM, report it immediately—in the U.S., one of the biggest problems is that people lose their cards after hours and just wait until the next business day to report the card taken; meanwhile, the skimmers attack their account. The vast majority of skimming happens immediately, or within minutes, after the data has been stolen.

Bank book and passport inside the bank only - I've never used my Thai atm card.

This means I tend to make large withdrawals but I feel safer carrying a large amount of cash than using the atms - at least if someone tries to rob you can resist and see who is doing it.

Why ???, you think banks are honest .

Could not agree more. After being skimmed on my Kasikorn card, I cancelled the ATM card and use my bank book inside the bank with passport ID. And I was offered no apology or refund or even look at the ATM video, by the Kasikorn.

Kasikorn hand photos on to BIB.They are the people to see,let me take the evidence for a few hours and make copies.Soi 9 at its best.

After being skimmed on my Kasikorn card, I cancelled the ATM card and use my bank book inside the bank with passport ID. And I was offered no apology or refund or even look at the ATM video, by the Kasikorn.

That is what KBank call "Service Excellence"

Get it right before you whinge.There is paper work and official requests made before you can get camera footage.Takes time.You rekon your bank in your home country would jump to your demands.

Top 1st post mate.

"Pruetipong suspected that a gang from Malaysia had hacked the information about a month ago before beginning to withdraw cash."

It seems they are skimming the data and then waiting a month or more before using it.

Thai banks are going to have to decide the cost/benefit of implementing chip technology. When the chips come watch out for higher ATM fees.

Bangkok Bank has chips but still got magnetic strip.