I thought this was the land of smiles!

benj005

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even in Thailand it is possible for 1 out of 63,000,000 to have a bad day now and then

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That's true. I guess I should just let it go.

Still it just wasn't this girl. I've had rude service when I was shopping in the Bangkok Mall last week.

Maybe Thais are truly becoming more westernized? sad.png

When I was in South Korea the service was normally outstanding, Much better than what I've experienced in Thailand so far.

perhaps your attitude invites this rudeness?
I'm being honest. I didn't have an attitude. I must of said thank you at least 3 times. Yes, she spoke English so she knew what I was saying.

I'm just going to chalk it up to having a bad day.

and yet you made the OP

Thailand is known as Land of Smiles and so you`re right OP, there might actually be some mileage in discussing if it still deserves that informal title. But it perhaps wasn`t the best way to start that discussion using a one off example you had in a coffee shop.

LOS - what a fantastic thing for a country and the people to be known for.

Of course in reality Thais do not go around all day with a permanent grin. And as someone pointed out a Thai smiling can have lots of different meanings.

It would be ridiculous and impossible to measure if Thais are less `smiley` these days than they use to be. I can only say from my experience over the years that the Thai smile does seem in less abundance, particularly in service sectors than it use to. Maybe it`s because I`m that use to it that I don`t notice it as much. Many tourists that I speak to that have been coming to Thailand for a long while say the same. Or maybe I`m turning into a grumpy old man and just don`t appreciate it as much! :-)

That said Thais are a lot more smiley than my fellow countrymen in the UK. Doesn`t matter where I am if I smile at a Thai then more often than not I get a warm Thai smile back....and I like that. Who doesn`t?

• Like 2

To me it always seems to be the younger ones that have sour expressions.....I've always thought maybe the first "job" situation and some structure is in order.....maybe first exposure to farangs.....maybe the first time around a job environment away from a family business......maybe they just discovered they cannot play and do what they like all the time but actually have to work to provide for themselves and possibly family.....maybe they're ticked because everyone of their friends are playing with their smart phones and they don't have one yet.....

It just doesn't happen in Thailand - there's sourpusses manning counters in every country.....

• Like 1

Maybe it was you, maybe she was having her period, maybe she just caught her husband cheating. I assure you she is an exception rather than the norm, as long as you have a generally happy disposition, almost everybody will smile at you.

• Like 2

To me it always seems to be the younger ones that have sour expressions.....I've always thought maybe the first "job" situation and some structure is in order.....maybe first exposure to farangs.....maybe the first time around a job environment away from a family business......maybe they just discovered they cannot play and do what they like all the time but actually have to work to provide for themselves and possibly family.....maybe they're ticked because everyone of their friends are playing with their smart phones and they don't have one yet.....

It just doesn't happen in Thailand - there's sourpusses manning counters in every country.....

Yes it is the younger ones. Maybe the next generation are showing the signs of modern civilization. When before, it seemed acceptable to see an old foreign man canoodling with a Thai girl barley out of her teens, maybe now they don't think it is 'right' like most of the civilized world.

I'm curious about where this happened. Almost always had top-notch service upcountry. In more touristy places like Bangkok it's less consistent. Last time I was there I asked a cafe (in Thai language) if I bought a coffee drink I could use their wifi. Lady looked smugly at me and said (in English) "Wifi No". I pointed out the wifi from the cafe clearly on my phone, again a smug frown and "Wireless No". <deleted>. Then again after this I walked down the street to the local coffee shop and asked about the wifi, they said they didn't have but drew a map to an internet cafe. If it's in Pattaya I would say "you'll find similar attitudes in tourist parts the world over". Upcountry maybe just a sourpuss, most are quite friendly up there.

I think the reason this thread happened was because it was so exceptional - if you had a similar encounter in the UK you wouldn't bat an eyelid. Worst CS experience I ever found was Atlanta airport ~ 20 years ago. Bar staff were ignorant and hostile from the outset, and maintained a really bad attitude throughout - change was not given (assumption of tips!). We didn't stay long.

Don't worry about it OP, I don't think your experience signifies a paradigm shift in culture...

Edited by wotamess
  • Like 1

I think this post is fabulously unrealistic. Do you really expect every single person in the entire country to fit into your stereotype of a constantly smiling fool? Allow the average Thai person to be human. Not everyone is going to be smiling all the time. Of all the countries in the world I have visited, the Thai people have the best attitude in my opinion. If you compare them to a country like Vietnam, where the people walk around with perpetual frowns on their faces, or France, or China? Or Russia, if we must include an extreme example. We are talking generalities here. But, the level of lightheartedness, and cheerfulness I see on a daily basis, by the majority of people, proves this, in my book. Sure there are grumpy people. The real question is, why does that bother you so much? Have you stopped to ask yourself that? Have you introspected to the extent, that you have asked why one grumpy cashier who was not super nice to you, bothered you so much you would write this post? Who cares? She was having a bad day. Or her mom just died, or her brother was in an accident, that she will have to pay for. Or a hundred other potential reasons, why she could not be there for you, to fulfill your expectations of her, when you stopped into her shop. Would Bond have been upset that she did not smile at him? Water off a ducks back, my man. Buck up. If I think about the casual encounters I used to have in California, it boggles the mind. I used to come back from a several months in Thailand, feeling very lighthearted. I would go out of my way to make strangers laugh. This was in LA. One of cities of the world, almost completely devoid of humor. Most of the local population did not even realize I was joking with them. They would just react with a scowl. Why are you wasting my time? Why are you such a fool? Why are you not serious, like the rest of us. What on earth are you smiling about? Are you insane? Should I call the police? Please leave now.

I do not have an expectation that everyone here will be nice to me. But, I am often touched by how many are. Sometimes I find that the Thai people have a sixth sense. They really react to what you put out there. If you approach them with really good energy, are friendly, warm, open, lighthearted, and respectful, I find a very high percentage of people sense that energy, and react to it. And if they do not, so what? Just get on with your day.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

I think the reason this thread happened was because it was so exceptional - if you had a similar encounter in the UK you wouldn't bat an eyelid. Worst CS experience I ever found was Atlanta airport ~ 20 years ago. Bar staff were ignorant and hostile from the outset, and maintained a really bad attitude throughout - change was not given (assumption of tips!). We didn't stay long.

Don't worry about it OP, I don't think your experience signifies a paradigm shift in culture...

And people in Georgia are some of the friendliest in the US. That says a lot. Then again, who would want their jobs?

Even in Thailand it is possible for 1 out of 63,000,000 to have a bad day now and then

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That's true. I guess I should just let it go.

Still it just wasn't this girl. I've had rude service when I was shopping in the Bangkok Mall last week.

Maybe Thais are truly becoming more westernized? sad.png

When I was in South Korea the service was normally outstanding, Much better than what I've experienced in Thailand so far.

Maybe Thailand is just not for you. Many of us really like the Thai people. There are some sour apples, but not many compared to the West. Just because the have better training in Korea, does not mean they are friendlier. Try putting better energy out there. It really works here. Maybe they were just reacting to you?

First, you start off a transaction w/ a polite, friendly Sawatdee Krab," pronounced correctly, and smile. Suddenly you don't seem like an alien from Planet Idiocy (perhaps such a being has been encountered just before you) but a nice, intelligent, empathetic real person. Works wonders. Then if the Thai service lady does seem grouchy, I often just look a little plaintive (mock plaintive, actually) and request, "Yim, na?" (Smile) and follow up with "Yim Siam" (Thai smile). Usually gets a nice smile and things are pleasant thereafter. Used this just today at Black Canyon coffee.

The oft-repeated prideful but facetious argument will be that you shouldn't have to do that: you're owed royal treatment (Japanese service, perfect English, with no tipping), the customer is king, blah blah. Irrelevant. You're not owed anything. Best not to waste time ranting and dreaming about what you think should be and instead deal w/ the reality of what is. Control the situation as much as possible to get what you want with a minimum of hassle and time-wasting.

Edited by JSixpack

And people in Georgia are some of the friendliest in the US. That says a lot. Then again, who would want their jobs?

Funny, you're assuming that I'm white - Virtually everyone I saw employed at Atlanta airport was black. Very bad attitude, big nasty mofo - even the women. I am not being racist, but stating the facts - they hated us "white buoys" and took every advantage; they were disgusting to us - we never left the airport so never had the opportunity to see what Georgian people were like - hatred on sight is disgusting by any means.

.... the many smiles of Thailand. They range from "I love you" all the way to "I despise you". Thai's can differentiate, Farangs can not !

Certain smiles are a MUST. Generally, buying something from somebody MUST be be finalized with a smile. = (He/she puts rice on my plate.)

Fast track learning:

Go to the bar, drink your beer and make it clear that you are not interested in "additional-services". By going back to the same bar the next day you will notice, that the smile you receive is not the same as the day before. (He/she is not going to put rice on my plate.) ....... the many smiles of Thailand.

Have been looking at Thai-Smiles for many a years with Thai-Wife next to me as a "Quasi- Translator of smiles". Worst smile: If smiling lips are drawn up slightly higher on one edge than the other it means that........... no, let's leave it at that! Wife says Farangs will not notice, only Thais.

Cheers.

Yes it is the younger ones. Maybe the next generation are showing the signs of modern civilization. When before, it seemed acceptable to see an old foreign man canoodling with a Thai girl barley out of her teens, maybe now they don't think it is 'right' like most of the civilized world.

spot on, most of people have no idea whats going on the social media, like facebook. Years after years you have a growing strong feelings, mostly disdain, geared towards (ederly and sometime young) foreigner with younger thai wives... Mostly because of jealousy, shame, badmouthing, gossip, nationalism....and of course some thai truely dislike us!

At the end of the day because of all this brainwashing, our reputation as a foreigner is completely shit!

Edited by Bender

"At the end of the day because of all this brainwashing, our reputation as a foreigner is completely shit!"

Not so sure about that. Maybe in the over-touristed areas but I find they treat us extra nice outside of those spots. They make an effort to speak "Passa F-rang", etc.

of course, i agree i might have been to harsh, not everything is white or black, you have some shade of grey.

But still you have no idea whats going on internet... the waistress did read few bad story about farang, and shse did make her up her idea about us... who knows?

"they treat us extra nice outside of those spots"

well in their eyes you worth a nice house...whistling.gif