I thought this was the land of smiles!

benj005

Thailand. Land of Smiles. True, but a smile can mean many things. Happiness, expectation, unease, nervousness, frustration and maybe even anger. We all have bad days occasionally. Cut the young lady some slack.

Not all young people are surly.

Not all Thais smile all the time.

Not all French are rude.

Not all Germans stake out sun beds.

Not all Australians are yobs.

Not all Americans are loud.

And on and on. And let's face it. Thailand has been going through some tough and uncertain times of late.

Have a nice day.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to many Amazon Coffee at gas stations....I thought they are self-service...are they not...

There is no Amazon coffee self service anywhere.

All the ones I been to, I had to drink their coffee myself.

• Like 1

My experience of "normal" Thailand (mostly Bangkok) is that it is not LOS. Service is very similar to the UK/US. Some friendly and smiley, many indifferent. I am pleased to see this thread as "LOS" is mentioned so often to TVisa that I was beginning to think it was me. Those who receive constant smiles must be those who are stuck in tourist/expat centred establishments.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I walked to the mall today. 9 random people smiled at me on my way to the shopping center. 3 school children, 2 motorcycle repair men. 1 bank guard, 2 taxi drivers, 1 lady cleaning the toilets.

My guess is that you were making direct eye contact with those random people and they felt uncomfortable.

:)

I walked to the mall today. 9 random people smiled at me on my way to the shopping center. 3 school children, 2 motorcycle repair men. 1 bank guard, 2 taxi drivers, 1 lady cleaning the toilets.

i find that too. if i take the initiative to smile , it is always returned in spades. thais are sometimes too shy to initiate with a farang but always seem very happy to reciprocate once they are sure you are friendly. its one of the things i love about the country!

• Like 1

i find that too. if i take the initiative to smile , it is always returned in spades. thais are sometimes too shy to initiate with a farang but always seem very happy to reciprocate once they are sure you are friendly. its one of the things i love about the country!

The opposite of grumpy old men.....a fatal attraction by the reads of it...

The opposite of grumpy old men.....a fatal attraction by the reads of it...

why fatal?

They are not "too shy" there's simply no need. Do you see Thai's walking around grinning at complete strangers all the time? Nothing wrong with giving a smile, from time to time, but do realise all the smiles you are receiving are simply automatic reactions. Try walking around with a neutral look making about the same eye contact you would in the West and see how many smiles you get. Seriously, try it.

They are not "too shy" there's simply no need. Do you see Thai's walking around grinning at complete strangers all the time? Nothing wrong with giving a smile, from time to time, but do realise all the smiles you are receiving are simply automatic reactions. Try walking around with a neutral look making about the same eye contact you would in the West and see how many smiles you get. Seriously, try it.

smile.png

automatic reaction? lol

So you're saying that if you're a miserable git few people will smile at you?

Well there's a shock.

Actually I'm saying if you walk around grinning like the village idiot, you'll probably get some smiles back. It's not rocket science is it.

So you're saying that if you're a miserable git few people will smile at you?

Well there's a shock.

Actually I'm saying if you walk around grinning like the village idiot, you'll probably get some smiles back. It's not rocket science is it.

smile.png

I have a good life. I'm a happy person. I smile. I wouldn't call anyone the village idiot. There are happy people in the world.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with spreading your happiness. My comments were addressing the original topic of whether Thailand is genuinely LOS as, like the OP, I noticed that smiling is not nearly as prevalent as suggested. Nevertheless it is a more smiley place than England.

Edited by TacoGuy

Well there we have it. It's a smilier place than England, even if you're a miserable git.

Should we change the acronym to LOSBNESPS (Land of smiles but not every single person smiles)?

Edited by SoiBiker

"Land of smiles" is just a label or call it a virtual mask, it has not been created by the Thais but Western.

It is a USP. An advertising agent from the West came to Thailand and looked around. He went back to his office in the West and looked around and came up with a USP, unique selling point.

Many people he saw in Thailand were smiling and many people he saw in the West were not.

This can be proven easily. Go to a mall in Bangkok Thailand and another in Ferguson Missouri and count the people smiling. On second thought you may not want to go to Missouri.

Edited by thailiketoo

"Land of smiles" is just a label or call it a virtual mask, it has not been created by the Thais but Western.

Yes definitely a tourist slogan.

Yes, like you wouldn't say come to Kiev land of smiles. Or visit scenic Gaza land of smiles.

One takes a national trait or characteristic and make a tourist slogan. A lot of people smile in Thailand. People smile for different reasons. In Thailand sometimes people smile because they are nervous or embarrassed. At Thai birthday parties they smile in some countries they shoot AK-47's at birthday parties. Some places for fun the kids throw rocks and firecrackers at soldiers in Thailand they smile at troops in tanks and give them flowers and take selfies.

post-187908-0-77513200-1408522103_thumb.

Edited by thailiketoo