I thought this was the land of smiles!

benj005

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Land of smiles" is just a label or call it a virtual mask, it has not been created by the Thais but Western.

It is a USP. An advertising agent from the West came to Thailand and looked around. He went back to his office in the West and looked around and came up with a USP, unique selling point.

Many people he saw in Thailand were smiling and many people he saw in the West were not.

This can be proven easily. Go to a mall in Bangkok Thailand and another in Ferguson Missouri and count the people smiling. On second thought you may not want to go to Missouri.

You didnt say whether in the Bangkok Hall they still smile after you purchased

"Land of smiles" is just a label or call it a virtual mask, it has not been created by the Thais but Western.

It is a USP. An advertising agent from the West came to Thailand and looked around. He went back to his office in the West and looked around and came up with a USP, unique selling point.

Many people he saw in Thailand were smiling and many people he saw in the West were not.

This can be proven easily. Go to a mall in Bangkok Thailand and another in Ferguson Missouri and count the people smiling. On second thought you may not want to go to Missouri.

You didnt say whether in the Bangkok Hall they still smile after you purchased

Oh mall. I was wondering what Bangkok Hall was. Sure they still smile. Thailand is a smiley place. Ever heard of a whinging Thai? Some ethnic groups and/or nationalities even take pride in complaining about everything. It is difficult for these people to tolerate happy people. They spent hundreds of years trying to convince cultures to keep a stiff upper lip and only got a lot of unhappy natives that do the head wobble.

Different cultures are different. In India they have the head wobble and in Thailand the smile. Since one can't really say come to India the land of the head wobble they don't say that there.

Even in Thailand it is possible for 1 out of 63,000,000 to have a bad day now and then

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

That's true. I guess I should just let it go.

Still it just wasn't this girl. I've had rude service when I was shopping in the Bangkok Mall last week.

Maybe Thais are truly becoming more westernized? sad.png

When I was in South Korea the service was normally outstanding, Much better than what I've experienced in Thailand so far.

perhaps your attitude invites this rudeness?

go to subway ekkamai @ gateway. Youll see the soupuss faces op talks about.....lol. Maybe its neverending pms.

I thought Thais like to smile. This is what I've seen on travel brochures. Come visit the land of smiles! Well it's not all sunshine and roses fellas,

I was in Amazon Coffee yesterday purchasing a cappuccino for my girlfriend and I. The girl serving us had a sourpuss on her face. No smiles. Nothing.

She then slammed our coffees on the table, and gave me a smirk. If I wanted sh*tty service I'd go back to America. Obviously, I have met some wonderful Thais. The sour pusses are the people that I tend to remember though.

Do you guys agree, or do you think it's just my imagination?

Uhh, do you expect all Thais at all time to smile at you?

If so, then you have you to wake up. Not everyone is the same at all times. Even though Thais tend to smile a lot it does not mean all Thais, smile all the time. They are, believe it or not, human beings.

• Like 1

OK. Can't we let this thread die. I made it when I was a little peeved. You have people that are awesome , and you have people that are just I'll tempered. They come in all races. I've met some wonderful people during my time in Thailand. Hopefully, I will continue to meet even more amazing people. How you treat and respond to people dictates how they will treat you.

I remember a coworker telling me "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Thanks. :)

Edited by benj005

OK. Can't we let this thread die. I made it when I was a little peeved. You have people that are awesome , and you have people that are just I'll tempered. They come in all races. I've met some wonderful people during my time in Thailand. Hopefully, I will continue to meet even more amazing people. How you treat and respond to people dictates how they will treat you.

I remember a coworker telling me "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar."

Thanks. smile.png

so apologize

Thanks. :)

Sometimes you catch the bees also at they bites

I smell the scent of a dying man...

If so, can we leave on a funny? - or if you don't get it, just do like me and smile when everyone else is in hysterics (probably at my expense...).

"It's not that you're wicked, or naturally bad - it's knowing you're foreign that's driving you mad!" Flanders & Swann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8

Edited by wotamess

• 3 weeks later...

Well usually service in athailand is very good, but on of the most rude ccustomer services Ive ever exprienced happened in Thailand. Like literally throwing money back at me when I puted fo food, but also ive got best customer service also from Thailand. I can understand why some dont like farangs at all, so they act very rudely. But its only a minority.