Hua Hin vendors plead for leniency

webfact

THE JUNTA
Hua Hin vendors plead for leniency

The Nation 

30240895-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Hua Hin vendors on Wednesday pleaded for mercy to the National Council for Peace and Order after the Prachuap Khiri Khan governor ordered a clean-up of the beach and the demolition of their shops.

While the group was filing the complaint, crews tore down one of the targeted 66 shops, as shop attendants at the beach resisted them and told them the shop owners had gone to seek help from the NCPO.

Jongkonlanee Ritthirong, the leader of the group, said the governor's order, which was claimed to be based on NCPO policy, .lost many merchants their jobs.

The vendors over the past three decades had always followed the rules but were told to move out.

This order was directed only at small shops, not the encroaching resorts and restaurants of some big-time operators.

Regarding complaints about overcharging, she said that the shops clearly showed their prices on menus and that their Bt150 "som tam" spicy papaya salad normally sold for that at tourist attractions like Pattaya and Phuket.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Hua-Hin-vendors-plead-for-leniency-30240895.html

[thenation]2014-08-14[/thenation]

Hua Hin Beach Vendors Defend High Price, Land Encroaching
By Khaosod English

14079343031407934494l.jpg
A tourist at Hua Hin beach with a receipt of 1,800 baht for only four dishes, August 12 2014.

PRACHUAP KIRI KHAN — Beach vendors in the popular seaside town of Hua Hin are defending their “overpriced” food and encroachment on public land.

Thirteen representatives of more than 160 stalls along Hua Hin beach arrived at the Government House in Bangkok today to submit a petition to the chairman of Thailand’s military junta, requesting he spare them from local authorities who have vowed to take action against the vendors.

The controversy arose when a number of tourists reported paying as much as 7,000 baht for meals from food stalls in Hua Hin over the recent holiday weekend.

According to photos of the bills posted on social media, many staple Thai dishes, like som tum and pork fried rice, cost as much as 150 to 400 baht each. The standard market price of those dishes ranges from 30 to 40 baht.

Following a number of complaints, local administrative officials in Hua Hin threatened to regulate the price of food served at these beach stalls and evict any vendors operating on public land.

The petition submitted to Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha today argued that an imminent eviction will severely affect the livelihood of the local vendors, many of whom have been selling goods on the beach for over 30 years.

"It will really affect us," Hua Hin vendor Chongkolnee Rittirong said. "But the authorities won't take action against private businesses that build residences and restaurants encroaching on the sea area."

"I would like the NCPO to give fairness to beach vendors," Ms. Chongkolnee said, using the acronym for the junta's National Council for Peace and Order.

She also defended the high prices of food sold at the beachside stalls, explaining that the prices were clearly shown on menus and do not greatly differ from vendors in other popular tourist destinations like Phuket and Pattaya.

"Previously, the vendors tried proposing a central price that the entire beach would agree on, but the state did not respond to our proposal at all," Ms. Chongkolnee said. "I would like those who say our food price is too high to check their facts before posting stories about it [on social media]."

Hua Hin’s mayor Noppon Wutthikul said yesterday that he has received many comments from tourists requesting a measure to control the high prices.

He also insisted that the authorities will have to evict the vendors from the beach to stop their encroachment.

"There cannot be stalls on the beach," Mr. Noppon said.

The NCPO has not yet commented on the matter. However, after seizing power in a coup d'etat on 22 May, the junta dispatched troops to crack down on vendors and beach chair renters on public beaches in Phuket, a top destination for foreign tourists. The campaign also rooted out illegal taxi stands on the island and arrested almost 100 people in connection with an underground taxi mafia.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1407934303&typecate=06&section=

[khaosod]2014-08-14[/khaosod]

clear all this trash out, this is public areas not for people to put business on , if they want to open a business do like many others in Hua Hin rent a shop and get all the licences and have some food hygiene standards etc ...it makes me laugh with the bull "we make for 30 years" ...if i went to a faulty ATM giving free money day after day..i would be in clink

These places are great fun, but they need to be regulated better.  I was at one and went to the toilet.  It was right NEXT to where they were cleaning the dishes.  I mean right there.  Disgusting.  The whole cooking area was horrible.  Almost made me puke.  Dishes were washed in old, cold water only.  I'm not sure any soap was even being used.  Maybe a little.

• Like 1

Bottom line ... most of the expats in Hua Hin who I know welcome these moves, for reasons detailed in earlier posts.

I think most of my out of town Thai friends will also welcome these changes, as they also frequently complain of the very very very high prices on the Hua Hin beaches.

• Like 2

Hua Hin vendors refuse to move out

HUA HIN, 14 August 2014 (NNT) -- Vendors on the famous beach of Hua Hin have refused to move out after being told to do so by Prachuab Khirikhan authorities, in line with the beach clean-up plan.

Hua Hin governor Vera Sriwatanatrakul said he would explain to the vendors the plan of the National Council for Peace and Order to reorganize busy tourist beaches nationwide in a bid to attract more foreign tourists.

According to the governor, Prachuab Khirikhan's Hua Hin beach has long been encroached on by a number of vendors and resort owners, who have illegally built their own facilities right on the beach, which compromise its view. The province needs to move all the vendors to designated places close to the beach and start cleaning up the beach and improving the landscape.

[nnt]2014-08-14[/nnt]

• Like 2

I stayed in Hua Hin once, I was going to stop for 4 or 5 nights but left after just the one night. The reason was the beach! The hotel had a door leading directly onto the beach, it was like going from day into night. As in the top photo, all of the parasols over-lapped, it was like a little village without sunlight! When I'd managed to escape close to the water's edge I was almost knocked down by a bozo on a horse galloping up and down the stretch of sand trying to punt horse rides! I enjoy a beer on the beach but not to be cocooned in the World's biggest sauna.

• Like 1

I send all my friends and customers to this beach,

Suan Son Beach
A great alternative to Hua Hin main beach

Suan Son Beach has now become a weekend getaway for Thai families as well as the top choice on the �place to visit� list of the foreigners who come to spend their leisure here in Hua Hin

Suan Son Pradipaht or Sea Pine Tree Garden is located in a military camp about 9km south of Hua Hin. This beach has long been accepted as one of the most popular beaches in Hua Hin. Belonging to the Army Welfare office, the beach is open from around 5.30 am until midnight.

How to go�
Suan Son Beach is located within easy reach. It is at Km. 241 on Petchkasem Rd. only 9km from the centre of Hua Hin. You can take Tuk-Tuk, Songtaew, motorbike or your own vehicle. There is a low entrance fee of 10 baht for motorbikes, 20 baht for cars and 40-80 baht for buses (depending on the size). Go get refreshed at this famous beach, relax and enjoy the view of this beautiful beachside area. It can be assured that it is the best way to spend any of your free days.
A tranquil and relaxing place to visit�
This amazing beach in Hua Hin gives you a glimpse of genuine Thai beach life. It is one of the places you might want to consider, when escaping from the commercial tourism. Suan Son Beach was officially opened to the public as a tourist destination at the end of 2001.

The beach is very good for swimming and other beach activities, with fewer rocks than there are at Hua Hin main beach. The remarkable feature of this beach, as the name suggests, is the Sea Pine trees (Son) that grow in rows giving an orderly look.

These Pine trees provide adequate shade for one to sit and relax while admiring the beauty of nature, cool sea breeze touching one�s face calmly. The vast area of Suan Son Beach makes it possible for various kinds of group activities such as football, which always is an almost permanent feature of this beach. Taking a walk on the white powdery sand along this beach is another almost certain thing one would to coming to this beach in Hua Hin.
Get a comfortable stay here�
Another reason why people keep coming to this Suan Son Beach is because of the variety of accommodation that is available here. Hotels and bungalows with required facilities in this delightful atmosphere is the ideal place to spend your time. You have a wide range of types and price of the room you want to stay in. The price of hotel rooms ranges between 1,600 baht to 7,000 baht per night for general people. As for bungalows, the price ranges from 1,800 baht to 3,400 baht. Get full rest in these well-maintained accommodations at Suan Son Beach and rejuvenate yourself, receive the fresh and cheerful feeling nature will provide. Though Suan Son Beach is billed as one of the most popular beaches in Hua Hin where people prefer to pay a visit and spend their time, it retains its beauty and freshness perfectly well.
Feel free to enjoy yourself in a safe place�
One major advantage of this place is the soldiers belonging to the military camp who take care of the place, so the tourists and the guests who stay in the area will feel safe. You may even take a tour around this spacious camp to get a better idea and feel of the place. The well-laid garden is another attractive element here. Various restaurants serve a wide variety of food at reasonable prices. Be happy and relaxed to the full extent, on the sandy beach that virtually connects to Khao Tao which is some 3 kilometers to the south. The sparkling sea in the front, Khao Tao on your right, Khao Takiab on your left is one of the rare views you can have only here

• Like 1

Finally getting rid of the filthy vendors, they are mean rip off artists, making a home for the rat population. Make them buy licenses, permits, then they can be legal, but what about there attudes? What can you do about that? don't buy from them, they are not going to change there ways, they will always be Dirty Mean, people. Get Rid of Them.

Hua Hin beach vendors defy evacuation order

8-14-2014-1-32-07-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

HUA HIN: -- Vendors at Hua Hin beach have refused to move out after being told to leave by Prachuab Khirikhan authorities in an effort to reorganise beach stalls under the military junta' s beach clean-up plan to return the beaches to nature.

Hua Hin governor Vera Sriwatanatrakul said he would try again to explain to the vendors the plan of the National Council for Peace and Order to reorganise food stalls and food vendors on beaches nationwide in a bid to teturn the beaches to the people and to attract more foreign tourists to experience its natural beauty.

The governor said Hua Hin beach has long been encroached on by a number of vendors and resort owners, who have illegally built their own facilities right on the beach, which have become an eyesore.

The province needs to evict all the vendors to designated places close to the beach and start cleaning up the beach and improving the landscape.

But the vendors, numbering about 200, continued to defy the order, claiming why authorities just want to evict only small operators, while ignoring major operators who have built permanent structures on the beach and were allowed to continue doing business.

They said this was unfair to them.

Besides they claimed that the designated place for them to sell is too far away from the beach and is not commercial viable enough for trade.

But authorities explained that they did not ignore the major operators as now legal action has been taken and processed to evict them and this would take some time.

(Photo : ThaiPBS file)

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/hua-hin-beach-vendors-defy-evacuation-order/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=hua-hin-beach-vendors-defy-evacuation-order

[thaipbs]2014-08-14[/thaipbs]

• Like 1

What beach? Oh yeah - the one where you have to enter through a little stinky soi, because everything else is blocked by concrete bunkers. Can;t believe anyone would opt to live in that $#!thole in the first place, letting alone doing business...