I will be a day late...

I went today to the US embassy in Bangkok to ask for a month extension on my double entry visa. I've never did this before so I thought I had everything correct. I didn't. The problem was I shouldn't have gone to the US embassy to ask for a one month extension. I needed to go to Thai immigration which is about an hour from the US embassy. Once I found this out I knew I wasn't going to make it in time. It was getting late and with Bangkok traffic it was just impossible.

The last date on my tourist visa is August 17th which is a Sunday. I'm going to go to Thai immigration early Monday morning which is the 18th. Probably at 8 am. I want to get this done quickly.

Am I going to run into any issues being a day late? Will I be fined? I will try to explain what happened to me today. I'd go tomorrow but I doubt immigration is open.

Thanks.

No comment from me about you going to the embassy.

Since your permit to stay ends on a Sunday they will not charge you an overstay fine and you will get the 30 day extension.

Just be sure you go on Monday.

Since your permit to stay ends on a Sunday they will not charge you an overstay fine and you will get the 30 day extension.

I'm going early Monday.
Right away.

Just a question. My visa ends on August 17th which is a Sunday. Immigration is closed Sat and Sun, so does Thai immigration recognize that this might be an issue. That people may renew their visas on Monday?

Thanks.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Just a question. My visa ends on August 17th which is a Sunday. Immigration is closed Sat and Sun, so does Thai immigration recognize that this might be an issue. That people may renew their visas on Monday?

Thanks.

You can't renew visas, ever. You are applying for an extension of stay, not an extension or renewal of the visa.

If the visa expires, that means you cannot use it again to enter (i.e. cross the border into) Thailand. The expiration or "use by" date should be printed on the actual visa.

The important date in terms of the extension is the date stamped into your passport when you last entered Thailand at the airport or at a border. That stamp shows you how long you can stay in Thailand before either leaving or getting an extension.

Two different things and two different dates. 1. is the actual visa you got at an embassy (not the US embassy, but a Thai embassy) and 2. the hand stamp you got when you entered the country.

And yes, if the date is a Sunday or holiday you can go in on the following Monday.

"No comment from me about you going to the embassy."

You're showing great restraint. I wonder if anyone at the US embassy was laughing.

Edited by Suradit69