BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
drifterrafirma

What Tefl School Did You Attend?

I am trying to decide which TEFL school I should attend in Thailand. What school did you attend? Knowing what you know now, would you have chosen a different school? If not, what made your school a wise choice?

David

This wouldn't be another attempt to try and start a TEFL course slagging thread, would it???

I took the CELTA. It's the hardest, most expensive, highest pressure and the best for what it's intended for, teaching adults. Would I take another course. No way. I'd never go through that again.

:o

I took Text&Talk because I didn't think I'd be teaching adults only. It helped me a lot, and I don't regret taking it. Also, as a prospective customer at the time, T&T was responsive and CELTA wasn't. Money was not a factor.

I took the CELTA. It's the hardest, most expensive, highest pressure and the best for what it's intended for, teaching adults. Would I take another course. No way. I'd never go through that again.

:D

I assume you rate it as the hardest becasue you have completed more than one TEFL related course? Otherwise how would you know. :o

I completed a CELTA at International House in Piccadilly, London & I can thoroughly recommend them.

I wouldn't say that it was pressured exactly, sure there was a good deal of work to get through, but that's only for the first two weeks. Just use your common sense & do what they tell you to do & when they tell you to do it & you'll be fine (so long as the course selection guidlines are followed, that is - some training centers are more interested in your money than whether your qialified to take the course, allegedly) It's about then that you get a 1-2-1 interview with a teacher trainer & they give you the score, continue as is & pass or pull your socks up & impove else you'll fail (one woman actually failed our course, out of a class of around 18). I took my foot off the pedal so to speak at the two-week mark & it became more of a pleasure to complete the course. In fact in week four I really did sod all other than to go through the motions, so to speak. :D

PS. I'd like to do another TEFL in Thailand cos I'd like to find out more about the differences, that is in teaching Thais as opposed to European asylum seekers. Text n' Talk seem to be a popular choice for this, I know several of their graduates personally... all of which have not only managed to get a job but retain it as well! How's that for a recommendation then. :D

Edited by a269652

:D

I assume you rate it as the hardest becasue you have completed more than one TEFL related course? Otherwise how would you know. :o

Yes, ok, you have a point, but I still think I'm right. It is difficult, but like you say, if you do as you're told and keep up with the work, most fairly bright people could get through it. Only two people in our class dropped out and that was within the first three days. They saw early on that they didn't want to deal with the way it was structured, or they couldn't cope with it. After the first four days I considered withdrawing, but I was unwilling to let $1,400 go to waste and stuck it out. After the midpoint when they consulted with each of us and told us what we needed to pass, I felt better and the last two weeks went by without much trouble. It's important to stay up to date on each day and each step because there is no 'final exam'; you are assessed the whole way through. 100% attendance is mandatory (they are absolutely militant about attendance).

Edited by mbkudu

Only two people in our class dropped out and that was within the first three days.

Didn't have any drop outs on our course, just the one failure. One wonders why people wouldn't persevere after paying the money, I guess some just don't do the research & find out what doin' a CELTA involves.

After the first four days I considered withdrawing, but I was unwilling to let $1,400 go to waste and stuck it out.

###### nosey of me but why exactly? 1400USD for your course eh! I paid about 1100 GBP :o Possibly the most expensive CELTA course in the world.

100% attendance is mandatory (they are absolutely militant about attendance).

I don't recall that, I thought you could get away with a day or two off without it counting against you. I think they give you a final assessment mark in the attendance category. I was one of those 100% ers... :D

Only two people in our class dropped out and that was within the first three days.

Didn't have any drop outs on our course, just the one failure. One wonders why people wouldn't persevere after paying the money, I guess some just don't do the research & find out what doin' a CELTA involves.

After the first four days I considered withdrawing, but I was unwilling to let $1,400 go to waste and stuck it out.

###### nosey of me but why exactly? 1400USD for your course eh! I paid about 1100 GBP :o Possibly the most expensive CELTA course in the world.

I did prepare well in advance, but I completely botched the first written assignment and had to re-do the whole thing. This caused to me to fall behind. The instructor at this point was very supportive though and helped me get through it. I'd imagine that the trainers in the UK and Bangkok get paid the same, but the office staffing, rent and other overhead is probably cheaper than in the UK, hence the lower cost.

100% attendance is mandatory (they are absolutely militant about attendance).

I don't recall that, I thought you could get away with a day or two off without it counting against you. I think they give you a final assessment mark in the attendance category. I was one of those 100% ers... :D

They were absolutely adamant about attendance. One trainee was two hours late and had to schedule a lesson outside of the normal hours to make up for it. This is especially true with the teaching practice. If any part of the lesson is missed, they won't give you the certificate. My last

practice lesson landed on a holiday, so I had to give it the following Monday while all the others were eating snacks and taking photos during the party at the end. :D Missed out about half the fun; no big deal though.

I guess we didn't supply the scratching and hair pulling he was hoping for. It's such a beat subject that it's not worth fighting over anymore.

Are you suggesting that I wanted to initiate arguments by starting this thread? I am a prospective teacher looking for some guidance and nothing more. I apologize for failing to give you cause to insult me based on my low post-count, or whatever other foolish and ignorant reason you may have for assuming bad intentions on my part.

However, I would like to thank those took the time to make civil, helpful comments. I am still trying to decide whether I want to pursue a career in teaching or professional fighting. Either one will see me in Thailand soon enough; if teaching, I will teach in english in Thailand, if fighting, I will attend a muay thai camp. Sadly, the constant bickering and negativity of the teachers on this forum has led me to wonder whether I would really want to work alongside such sad souls.

Are you suggesting that I wanted to initiate arguments by starting this thread? I am a prospective teacher looking for some guidance and nothing more. I apologize for failing to give you cause to insult me based on my low post-count, or whatever other foolish and ignorant reason you may have for assuming bad intentions on my part.

However, I would like to thank those took the time to make civil, helpful comments. I am still trying to decide whether I want to pursue a career in teaching or professional fighting. Either one will see me in Thailand soon enough; if teaching, I will teach in english in Thailand, if fighting, I will attend a muay thai camp. Sadly, the constant bickering and negativity of the teachers on this forum has led me to wonder whether I would really want to work alongside such sad souls.

I agree that the negative stuff about teaching is sometimes over emphasized on this (any) teaching forum, but that's to be expected - people aren't going to ask questions about problems they don't have!!!

Teaching English in Thailand is usually great fun, however it's not perfect. I much prefer my life here to the life I had in the UK as I feel I'm actually contributing to people's lives by teaching them. In the UK my only reason to work was pound sterling.

And this board has many regular contributors who have years of experience and happily pass it on to anyone who asks - a good resource I think. Do the boxing and the teaching.

drifter, this is a very contentious subject at times, with some folks saying "My TEFL course can beat your TEFL course" and other folks saying "You don't need no stinkin' TEFL course" and so on. You got good replies, even though it's a topic which here and on other TEFL forums, is often started by a troublemaker. It's good to see that your question was sincere. Good luck.

Some of us weren't such sad souls until we taught in Thailand for a good while. :o It's not an easy row to hoe.