What Tefl School Did You Attend?

I took the CELTA. It's the hardest, most expensive, highest pressure and the best for what it's intended for, teaching adults. Would I take another course. No way. I'd never go through that again.

:o

I took the CELTA. It's the hardest, most expensive, highest pressure and the best for what it's intended for, teaching adults. Would I take another course. No way. I'd never go through that again.

:D

I assume you rate it as the hardest becasue you have completed more than one TEFL related course? Otherwise how would you know. :o

I completed a CELTA at International House in Piccadilly, London & I can thoroughly recommend them.

I wouldn't say that it was pressured exactly, sure there was a good deal of work to get through, but that's only for the first two weeks. Just use your common sense & do what they tell you to do & when they tell you to do it & you'll be fine (so long as the course selection guidlines are followed, that is - some training centers are more interested in your money than whether your qialified to take the course, allegedly) It's about then that you get a 1-2-1 interview with a teacher trainer & they give you the score, continue as is & pass or pull your socks up & impove else you'll fail (one woman actually failed our course, out of a class of around 18). I took my foot off the pedal so to speak at the two-week mark & it became more of a pleasure to complete the course. In fact in week four I really did sod all other than to go through the motions, so to speak. :D

PS. I'd like to do another TEFL in Thailand cos I'd like to find out more about the differences, that is in teaching Thais as opposed to European asylum seekers. Text n' Talk seem to be a popular choice for this, I know several of their graduates personally... all of which have not only managed to get a job but retain it as well! How's that for a recommendation then. :D

Edited by a269652

:D

I assume you rate it as the hardest becasue you have completed more than one TEFL related course? Otherwise how would you know. :o

Yes, ok, you have a point, but I still think I'm right. It is difficult, but like you say, if you do as you're told and keep up with the work, most fairly bright people could get through it. Only two people in our class dropped out and that was within the first three days. They saw early on that they didn't want to deal with the way it was structured, or they couldn't cope with it. After the first four days I considered withdrawing, but I was unwilling to let $1,400 go to waste and stuck it out. After the midpoint when they consulted with each of us and told us what we needed to pass, I felt better and the last two weeks went by without much trouble. It's important to stay up to date on each day and each step because there is no 'final exam'; you are assessed the whole way through. 100% attendance is mandatory (they are absolutely militant about attendance).

Edited by mbkudu

Only two people in our class dropped out and that was within the first three days.

Didn't have any drop outs on our course, just the one failure. One wonders why people wouldn't persevere after paying the money, I guess some just don't do the research & find out what doin' a CELTA involves.

After the first four days I considered withdrawing, but I was unwilling to let $1,400 go to waste and stuck it out.

###### nosey of me but why exactly? 1400USD for your course eh! I paid about 1100 GBP :o Possibly the most expensive CELTA course in the world.

100% attendance is mandatory (they are absolutely militant about attendance).

I don't recall that, I thought you could get away with a day or two off without it counting against you. I think they give you a final assessment mark in the attendance category. I was one of those 100% ers... :D

Only two people in our class dropped out and that was within the first three days.

Didn't have any drop outs on our course, just the one failure. One wonders why people wouldn't persevere after paying the money, I guess some just don't do the research & find out what doin' a CELTA involves.

After the first four days I considered withdrawing, but I was unwilling to let $1,400 go to waste and stuck it out.

###### nosey of me but why exactly? 1400USD for your course eh! I paid about 1100 GBP :o Possibly the most expensive CELTA course in the world.

I did prepare well in advance, but I completely botched the first written assignment and had to re-do the whole thing. This caused to me to fall behind. The instructor at this point was very supportive though and helped me get through it. I'd imagine that the trainers in the UK and Bangkok get paid the same, but the office staffing, rent and other overhead is probably cheaper than in the UK, hence the lower cost.

100% attendance is mandatory (they are absolutely militant about attendance).

I don't recall that, I thought you could get away with a day or two off without it counting against you. I think they give you a final assessment mark in the attendance category. I was one of those 100% ers... :D

They were absolutely adamant about attendance. One trainee was two hours late and had to schedule a lesson outside of the normal hours to make up for it. This is especially true with the teaching practice. If any part of the lesson is missed, they won't give you the certificate. My last

practice lesson landed on a holiday, so I had to give it the following Monday while all the others were eating snacks and taking photos during the party at the end. :D Missed out about half the fun; no big deal though.

Are you suggesting that I wanted to initiate arguments by starting this thread? I am a prospective teacher looking for some guidance and nothing more. I apologize for failing to give you cause to insult me based on my low post-count, or whatever other foolish and ignorant reason you may have for assuming bad intentions on my part.

However, I would like to thank those took the time to make civil, helpful comments. I am still trying to decide whether I want to pursue a career in teaching or professional fighting. Either one will see me in Thailand soon enough; if teaching, I will teach in english in Thailand, if fighting, I will attend a muay thai camp. Sadly, the constant bickering and negativity of the teachers on this forum has led me to wonder whether I would really want to work alongside such sad souls.

Are you suggesting that I wanted to initiate arguments by starting this thread? I am a prospective teacher looking for some guidance and nothing more. I apologize for failing to give you cause to insult me based on my low post-count, or whatever other foolish and ignorant reason you may have for assuming bad intentions on my part.

However, I would like to thank those took the time to make civil, helpful comments. I am still trying to decide whether I want to pursue a career in teaching or professional fighting. Either one will see me in Thailand soon enough; if teaching, I will teach in english in Thailand, if fighting, I will attend a muay thai camp. Sadly, the constant bickering and negativity of the teachers on this forum has led me to wonder whether I would really want to work alongside such sad souls.

I agree that the negative stuff about teaching is sometimes over emphasized on this (any) teaching forum, but that's to be expected - people aren't going to ask questions about problems they don't have!!!

Teaching English in Thailand is usually great fun, however it's not perfect. I much prefer my life here to the life I had in the UK as I feel I'm actually contributing to people's lives by teaching them. In the UK my only reason to work was pound sterling.

And this board has many regular contributors who have years of experience and happily pass it on to anyone who asks - a good resource I think. Do the boxing and the teaching.

drifter, this is a very contentious subject at times, with some folks saying "My TEFL course can beat your TEFL course" and other folks saying "You don't need no stinkin' TEFL course" and so on. You got good replies, even though it's a topic which here and on other TEFL forums, is often started by a troublemaker. It's good to see that your question was sincere. Good luck.

Some of us weren't such sad souls until we taught in Thailand for a good while. :o It's not an easy row to hoe.

You know sometimes I read peoples responses about teaching, and I wonder ewhy some of you are teaching, really.....if its that much of a pain, DON'T TEACH.....

I've taught in Los Angeles, California for over 17 years, in the heart of the beast that is L.A., and love my job, love my students. I have taught in Korea in the 90's on a one year sabbatical, and loved it. In fact I wanted to live there....

No matter where you work/teach, you're going to have to deal with the bullcrap of the workplace, you're going to have to deal with the up's & down's of life, deal with it....No buddy ever promised any one of us a rose garden, life some times is a bitch...So when you have a beautiful moment, cherrish it, love it, and let your heart embellish in it......

You know there are some people who are not made out to teach, so move on, find something else to do, because if you don't, all you do is harm the kids...And for teaching in another country, I've said this before, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"......adapt, change is a beautiful everyday part of life. Learn the customs, culture, way of life, and leave your hang ups and assumptions at home....

Teaching is wonderful & noble profession, but it takes a special person to do it well, and to enjoy it everyday....and.... I can't begin to think of how many times my students have lifted my spirit with a good morning, a happy smile, and funny story, an inquisitive question, or a learning experience. If you don't realize how blessed you are to teach, then don't teach....

By the, PeaceBlondie......can a guy like me with a teaching credential, and eventually 25 years of experience, & a masters degree get a quality position when I want to retire in 8 years?

Peace to all, & don't forget to live in the present, that's why they call it a gift!

Mayacan

You know sometimes I read peoples responses about teaching, and I wonder ewhy some of you are teaching, really.....if its that much of a pain, DON'T TEACH.....

I've taught in Los Angeles, California for over 17 years, in the heart of the beast that is L.A., and love my job, love my students. I have taught in Korea in the 90's on a one year sabbatical, and loved it. In fact I wanted to live there....

No matter where you work/teach, you're going to have to deal with the bullcrap of the workplace, you're going to have to deal with the up's & down's of life, deal with it....No buddy ever promised any one of us a rose garden, life some times is a bitch...So when you have a beautiful moment, cherrish it, love it, and let your heart embellish in it......

You know there are some people who are not made out to teach, so move on, find something else to do, because if you don't, all you do is harm the kids...And for teaching in another country, I've said this before, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"......adapt, change is a beautiful everyday part of life. Learn the customs, culture, way of life, and leave your hang ups and assumptions at home....

Teaching is wonderful & noble profession, but it takes a special person to do it well, and to enjoy it everyday....and.... I can't begin to think of how many times my students have lifted my spirit with a good morning, a happy smile, and funny story, an inquisitive question, or a learning experience. If you don't realize how blessed you are to teach, then don't teach....

By the, PeaceBlondie......can a guy like me with a teaching credential, and eventually 25 years of experience, & a masters degree get a quality position when I want to retire in 8 years?

Peace to all, & don't forget to live in the present, that's why they call it a gift!

Mayacan

All very nice and thoughtful, but a bit overly dramatic, don't you think? All we were doing was talking about training courses.

Well, it may seem overdramatic for this one topic about training courses, but the professional career BA/MEd sort of teacher probably detects that some of my posts, and some of the other posters's comments, drip of pessimism. If you want to teach, and really enjoy it, you'll take the bullcrap along with the smiling faces and seeing those light bulbs go on inside the brains of some of the students. To me, no matter how hard I complain, teaching is personally rewarding.

CMU and Text and Talk academy are the only 2 TEFL schools recognized by the Thai board of education. I’m not an English teacher but I work for a government university in my degreed field and know many of our foreign language staff, which have supplied me with this information so, I would suggest checking them out if you are going to take a TEFL course. Hope this helps we need good educated English teachers here not hacks that want to extend their vacations.

We need good educated English teachers here not hacks that want to extend their vacations.

I hope you're willing to pay them a decent wage. If not, they'll probably move on like so many others to other countries that have higher wages and better benefits. Employers in Thailand are asking for: A recognised TEFL certificate, at least a bachelor's degree and experience (in many cases not necessary), and for this a teacher can expect to earn 25,000-40,000 baht per month. There is nothing wrong with asking for these qualifications, but they should be backed up with good pay. At these pay scales you are guaranteed a steady supply of hacks that 'want to extend their vacations.' It's a shame that so many teachers start out here, gain good experience after a few years, make a good impression on their students, and then move on to other pusuits or teach in other countries for more money. It is simply because most Thai employers are fine with that and don't mind taking on the next hack instead of increasing their pay. Sh#t, in some cases I'd even be ok with just 50 baht an hour more to keep me in a job. That's $1.30 an hour more.

Now I'm being overly dramatic. :o

Edited by mbkudu

Chichester College (U.K.) sponsors a TEFL school in BKK with a convenient offering of courses and programs. I attended one such program two years ago to brush up on my teaching skills, and got my TEFL certificate to boot. I attended a weekend program which allowed me to continue my week-day teaching without interruption. The school offered professional instructors and small student-to-teacher ratio in the classes. I would recommend it without reservation. Click here for contact info.

"CMU and Text and Talk academy are the only 2 TEFL schools recognized by the Thai board of education".

Means exactly what is says and some decent schools actually take it into consideration, I was just offering some possible useful help for anyone wanting to take a TEFL course. These schools also give you a real education and it is possible to not get a good or passing grade.

As far as the other comment about wages think about what I said

“We need good educated English teachers here not hacks that want to extend their vacations”.

That is why the wages are so low because there are many unqualified people willing to do the job for a low wage, if you can hire someone for 300B per hour why not your in business to make money not teach English. On the other hand there are jobs that pay between 500B and 1,200B per hour teaching English providing you have a masters or doctorate in certain fields teaching specific English. Just trying to give helpful information I’m not criticizing anyone or trying to hurt anyone’s feelings, but if I made a living teaching English I sure would be pissed that I had to compete with people that had no education.

"CMU and Text and Talk academy are the only 2 TEFL schools recognized by the Thai board of education".

These schools also give you a real education and it is possible to not get a good or passing grade.

I received a real education at International House in London, and I'm sure many others have done similar with different schools in different locations.

What does a school need to do to become recognised by the Thai Board of Education and what exactly are the benefits? It it was particularly beneficial then I might expect other schools to register.

Edited by a269652

CMU and Text and Talk academy are the only 2 TEFL schools recognized by the Thai board of education. I’m not an English teacher but I work for a government university in my degreed field and know many of our foreign language staff, which have supplied me with this information so, I would suggest checking them out if you are going to take a TEFL course. Hope this helps we need good educated English teachers here not hacks that want to extend their vacations.

CELTA and Trinity TESOL aren't recognized?

CMU? are you sure?

When I contacted Dr Mat at CMU's TEFL this is what he replied:

'...It was approved and accredited by a sitting of Chiang Mai University's academic board

and Chiang Mai University's President to be incorporated within the overall

curriculum offered at CMU...At the end of the successful completion of the program students receive a 120 hour TEFL Certificate fully accredited by Chiang Mai University and

signed by the university's president.'

No mention of recognized by anyone other than themselves.

As I understand it: 'Accredited' by the Thai board of education (Ministry of Education) means that your TEFL course's curriculum has been examined and approved by the MoE and added to an existing school licence.

Not that difficult and there are more than 2 TEFL schools in Thailand that are 'accredited'.

Edited by Loaded

I’m just going to shut up and not post anything in English forums. I’m just trying to pass on useful information; I’m not looking to get anyone’s panties up in a bunch. I do have a little experience here and I have helped quite a few people get some nice jobs. When I am at work today I will take a walk down to the faculty of language and confirm what I have told you about Text and Talk and CMU. I have nothing to gain if you check these schools out it was just a suggestion based on what I was told by what I would consider a reliable source.