Visa fees increased

Sheryl

• 2 weeks later...

Ordinary visa goes back ot becoming a Business visas

goes in effect Oct 1st

not now

expect long term extensions to climb to over $325 soon after. Plus u will need get a wp for $100

I expect the ordinary visa to emerge for those retired an not seeking work or wokring.

goes in effect Oct 1st

not now

expect long term extensions to climb to over $325 soon after. Plus u will need get a wp for $100

I expect the ordinary visa to emerge for those retired an not seeking work or wokring.

Good to know, but won't the same system of only two visa types continue even after Oct 1st? Or are you saying that there will be three visa types (tourist, business and ordinary) after then? Or just that there will be a name change of the ordinary to become business?

OK so things will become a little more expensive but that's OK.

goes in effect Oct 1st

not now

Good to know, but won't the same system of only two visa types continue even after Oct 1st? Or are you saying that there will be three visa types (tourist, business and ordinary) after then? Or just that there will be a name change of the ordinary to become business?

OK so things will become a little more expensive but that's OK.

Sadly, Richard claims to know what the Cambodian government does not. It has been indicated that there may be a new class of visa that isn't an ordinary visa - when that visa gets introduced no-one has any idea. There has been no statement regarding increases in long-term visa fees whatsoever. The ordinary visa was once a business visa and it's unlikely to revert to class.

• Like 1

Yes there will be ( at this time) only 2 visas

Ordinary visa return to being called the business visa

Tourist visa.

I am NOT CLAIMING anything

only what i think (expect) will happen

ie an ordinary visa will be brought in for those not interested in working.yet looking for a 1 year extension.

as to the long term

current ordinary visa is $25 which allows you to extend for up to 1 year for another ( apx ) $285

you seriously think that they will raise this visa to $35 yet leave the 1 year extension at $285

Reaper; get real!!! you never have an idea or opinion?

Edited by phuketrichard

Tourist visa.

ie an ordinary visa will be brought in for those not interested in working.yet looking for a 1 year extension.

as to the long term

current ordinary visa is $25 which allows you to extend for up to 1 year for another ( apx ) $285

you seriously think that they will raise this visa to $35 yet leave the 1 year extension at $285

I'm of the opinion that if they actually start enforcing the work permit - they won't need to touch long-term visa fees. I do think they'll change the visa system at some point in the future but this being Cambodia that could be a long way off. Otherwise; there's nothing on the cards for fee increases at all - don't you think they'd have announced all the rises together if they were going to do so?

Tourist visa.

as to the long term

I'm of the opinion that if they actually start enforcing the work permit - they won't need to touch long-term visa fees. I do think they'll change the visa system at some point in the future but this being Cambodia that could be a long way off. Otherwise; there's nothing on the cards for fee increases at all - don't you think they'd have announced all the rises together if they were going to do so?

Anyway, if any of you hear of any confirmation about increases in extension fees it would be good to post it. But if as you, reaper say there is nothing to confirm this, we'll just assume that for newcomers or those whose previous visa extensions expired and were out of the country, the deal is you now have to pay 35 us (up from 25) for an ordinary visa, and around 285 for the 1-year extension (although this fee seems to vary from around 280-293 anyway).

• Like 1

Tourist visa.

as to the long term

Anyway, if any of you hear of any confirmation about increases in extension fees it would be good to post it. But if as you, reaper say there is nothing to confirm this, we'll just assume that for newcomers or those whose previous visa extensions expired and were out of the country, the deal is you now have to pay 35 us (up from 25) for an ordinary visa, and around 285 for the 1-year extension (although this fee seems to vary from around 280-293 anyway).

Affective October 1.

So Khwaibah, you're saying that as of Oct 1, the extension fees will also be increased for 1-year ordinary visa extensions? If so, by how much?

I'll say to 420 USD for a 365 day visa extension. Thats based on the fact that they go up to 35 USD for a 30 day visa.

Press%20Releas%2014%20Aug.jpg

Edited by khwaibah

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm taking a wild guess, but I don't see Cambodia hiking the long-term visa fees. They are already well beyond Thailand's -- about $175 visa and re-entry permit -- versus Cambo's $285 (granted, a business visa versus Thailand's retirement extension/visa). If ASEAN requirements for reciprocity mean anything, Thailand might hike its fees selectively. Of course, if Cambodia eventually introduces a "retirement" visa, its fee might be less.

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

We better stop speculating about an increase in fees for long term visa. It is an important subject matter for many and guesstimating does not help anyone and is without practical value. Right now the lowest reported rate is 282 USD in PP. This "fee" includes a lot of benefits for the middlemen and staff involved. Presumably also some very prominent people. Let's hope these people keep their green pasture well fenced and intact.

^^^^ Huh? It's called opinion, which is everywhere on the internet. I don't care whether you agree with my speculation or not, the principle is that everyone guesses, speculates, rumour-mongers, whatever, about everything on every forum in the world. Your call for the end of discussion and speculation might as well be a call for the winds to stop.

Also, let's be straight here. Whether a visa is $235 or $285, many will pay it. It would take a very very high visa fee to stop people from going somewhere they really want to go and it would kill tourism of the country that set such a high fee.

well, the topic is about the increase in visa fees which is valuable information. This increases are real and documented. Taken the subject to the sphere of speculation dilutes the thread and we end up with useless clutter.

So maybe a thread clearly marked as discussion of what might happen is in place. This way we keep the chit chat separate and the hard data on hand easy to access.

The other reason I am a bit hesitant about such discussions is the scare mongering.

Perhaps, ending on a practical note: Did anyone pay less than 282 USD for a 1 year visa? and maybe be a second question when was the last time you bought one? This way we get an idea about the real situation.

well, the topic is about the increase in visa fees which is valuable information. This increases are real and documented. Taken the subject to the sphere of speculation dilutes the thread and we end up with useless clutter.

So maybe a thread clearly marked as discussion of what might happen is in place. This way we keep the chit chat separate and the hard data on hand easy to access.

The other reason I am a bit hesitant about such discussions is the scare mongering.

Perhaps, ending on a practical note: Did anyone pay less than 282 USD for a 1 year visa? and maybe be a second question when was the last time you bought one? This way we get an idea about the real situation.

285 USD October 17 Siem Reap.

There was a discussion on a Cambodian platform some time ago and the people described pretty much the same as Sheryl has shared. The only slight difference was that the alleged official price for a 1 year visa was reportedly a bit less, somewhere between USD 180-190.

I think it is telling that we do not even have a precise idea of the "official" price for a one year visa.

Interestingly, the Siem Reap price is identical with the PP price despite the fact that the passport has to travel to PP (I assume). The 282 at Lucky motors was supposedly the lowest in PP in July. Other agents charge a bit more. So no real price difference between PP and SR.

In SHV the price is reportedly about 292 USD at an established travel agency on the road leading from the Lion's Roundabout down to the pier at Serendipity beach. Seems they just added the price for a return trip on a standard bus to the "official" "unofficial price."

My visa took from Friday morning around 9 AM to Tuesday afternoon 4 PM = maximum three working days although they claimed initially that it would take four.

Kwaibah, how long does SR take to get it? That might be helpful for people in the town who think about getting one.

I used to pay $1,000 per year for a Chinese visa (via an agent who managed to save me flying to Singapore to get it done). I'd pay the same for Cambodia if it meant no hassle living...

Wow that's crazy. But there's no consistency when it comes to obtaining Chinese visas, just as with Cambodian visa extension pricing.

In 2010 I easily got a 30-day Chinese tourist visa in Phnom Penh by handing my passport to my hotel, providing a photo, US$85 for fast processing at 8.30am. I got my passport back with visa at 5.30pm. In 2012 I obtained a Chinese tourist visa, again valid for 30 days with a letter of invitation from Chiang Mai. By then the requirements had changed, but it wasn't too difficult. I later obtained a Chinese work visa from Bangkok in 2013, without too much trouble either. Since it was just a contract position and I got another job in Thailand my visa then expired so when I needed to travel to China again this year, a simple invitation letter from a counterpart in China and one from my own company based outside of Thailand got me a 30-day business visa in Bangkok.

However it was even easier in Sydney - a similar letter from China got me a 1-year business visa with 90 day entries. No need for flight tickets, hotel bookings or anything else, just that one letter and that was last month. The key was that in Bangkok the most they will give you is a double entry unless you can produce an invitation letter from the Chinese government. Crazy huh? No idea if Thais can get a 1-year multiple entry in Bangkok but given that they're subject to the same rules as other foreigners who apply in Bangkok (either you have an invitation letter or hotel bookings + flights or alternatively an itinerary showing train/boat tickets into/out of China) somehow I don't think so as I have never heard of any Thai obtaining a 1-year multi despite it being listed as being available because Bangkok is known as being rather strict. But as a westerner, apply back home or in another western country (if they allow you) and one simple document still gets you a visa quite easily and I'm talking about a 1-year multi entry if you want, not just a mere 30-day visa. Of course you'll have to fork out $1000 or more for a return airfare if you're residing in Thailand or Cambodia to get there, but yeah I agree that I would be willing to pay a reasonable sum of money for a visa if it means I can easily obtain it somehow provided that it would otherwise be very difficult to obtain a visa for said country.

Having said that, clearly for China at least there are enough ways of obtaining a visa quite easily without having to pay through the nose - it's just another case of the inconsistency of the Chinese visa process despite tightening up of visa regulations a couple of years ago.

In Cambodia, there seems to be less variation in price for the 6-month and 1-year extensions. I'd just pick an agent and go with them. OK maybe shopping around and comparing prices might not hurt, but in the end the difference between the cheapest and most expensive agent will probably only be 10 bucks anyway, so unless you're walking or you have your own motorcycle, you'll spend more on taxi or tuk-tuk fares or even fuel driving between agents than any potential money saved.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

I'm taking a wild guess, but I don't see Cambodia hiking the long-term visa fees. They are already well beyond Thailand's -- about $175 visa and re-entry permit -- versus Cambo's $285 (granted, a business visa versus Thailand's retirement extension/visa). If ASEAN requirements for reciprocity mean anything, Thailand might hike its fees selectively. Of course, if Cambodia eventually introduces a "retirement" visa, its fee might be less.

Hardly a comparison of apples to apples. To qualify for any sort of long-term Thai visa allowing a one year stay at a time, either a mountain of paperwork is required (for employed individuals in Thailand) or you need a big chunk of money in the bank and a couple of other documents (for retirement visas and of course need to meet the minimum age requirements).

For Cambodia you can be doing whatever you want, doesn't matter how old you are or how much money you have in the bank other than the ability to pay for the initial visa fee + extension. As agents take care of everything you don't even need to lift a finger to use a pen.

So it doesn't make sense to say that Cambodia charges far more than Thailand for a long term visa. First of all, it doesn't - it's maybe 100 dollars more and after you have paid for the multi re-entry permit for Thailand at 3800 a pop (since a normal extension of stay is only single entry and expires if you leave the country without a re-entry permit) both are about equivalent price-wise. But comparing the different prices charged by Thailand, with it's numerous visa options and Cambodia, which effectively only has one (for long termers) is silly because while a large chunk of people won't qualify for most of Thailand's long-term visas, virtually everyone can qualify for a Cambodian long-term visa extension.

Similarly it's not wise to compare either country to any other country in ASEAN. For example, Laos is very easy to enter and continuously re-enter on back-to-back visa free (if your nationality is eligible) or visa-on-arrival entries. Short term in-country extensions may be possible but longer term business and work visas are more difficult to get, quite unlike Cambodia.

Vietnam is still a fairly simple affair, but quite pricey these days. Apparently a continuous stay of up to 9 or so months with extensions is fine, followed by a visa run.