Student of the Shanghai American School apologises for his peer’s brutality in the Green Mango

Lite Beer

Student of the Shanghai American School apologises for his peer’s brutality in the Green Mango

Jack-pre-attack-300x300.jpg
Jack prior to the attack

KOH SAMUI: -- After the viscous attack on a South Australian man, Jack Hansel-Bartel in the Green Mango nightclub in Koh Samui by Raymond Chang and Ryan Wang, one of their fellow students at the Shanghai American School has apologized for the behavior of his peers.

He said “As a Shanghai American School alumnus of the same graduating class as Ryan Wang and Raymond Tony Chang, I would like to apologize for the actions of my peers.

Please know that their actions are in no way representations of the average Shanghai American School student or the average Chinese-American youth: we really are better than this (although it might be hard to believe now). I don’t know how or why the altercation happened, but I do know that the right thing for Raymond and Ryan to do right now is to owe up to their actions, apologize, and compensate. The moronic behaviors and bad choices of two boys and one of their fathers does not reflect us, and I hope I have salvaged Shanghai American School’s reputation, even if by a marginal amount. So once again, sorry for the mindless and brutal actions of the two individuals I shamefully call my peers.”

The brutal attack took place on the 9th of July as Jack, Raymond and Ryan celebrated their graduation in Koh Samui. Previously unknown to Jack the two American- Chinese students attacked him in the early hours of the morning. Jack required emergency plastic surgery to his upper jaw and lip and is now facing a further 12 to 18 months of more surgery that is expected to give him back 80% of his previous appearance. Prior to the attack Jack had completed the IB Diploma at NIST International School in Bangkok and had a modeling career that was due to take him into TV commercials for three months before he planned to fly to Australia in August to begin a course at the Monash University. Both his modeling career and education have now been put on hold.

Immediately after the attack Raymond and Ryan fled the scene but were later apprehended after what Jack’s mother Annie describes as the tireless efforts of Police Colonet Satit and Lieutenant Danchai of the Bophut Police Station.

After being apprehended Wang and Chang were given bail and had travel restrictions put on them that stated they could only engage in essential travel. Having told the court that they had essential travel plans to attend the funeral of a relative, Annie’s fears were raised when she discovered photographs of the boys enjoying holidays that did not fall in line with the essential travel guidelines laid down, on social media wesbites.

In view of the discovery the Samui Provincial Court ask the men to surrender their passports pending trail. On arrival at the court the father of one of the boys attacked at Channel 7 camera man directly outside the court building, the channel later broadcast the attack on national television.

In a shocking twist to the story, having had their passports revoked and six weeks after the attack, Wang and Chang have now pressed charges against Jack for assault and misdemeanor. Horrified that her injured son could be arrested Annie contacted the army’s National Council for Peace and Order who reviewed the case and said they would oversee the entire process in conjunction with Colonel Satit.

Colonel Werachon said that the NCPO is heavily combating corruption in Thailand and that it is a main priority for the governing military junta. He advised that both Thai and foreign nationals such as Jack should be secure in the fact that the NCPO, in conjunction with the Koh Samui police department, is determined to make sure this is a fair and transparent legal process

stimes.jpg

--Samui Times 2014-08-16

i was sitting in coffee club on chewang main beach road the morning this group arrived , they all piled into the coffee shop, I can tell you they are a bunch of spoilt brats that to be perfectly honest I would be ashamed to call any of the ones I saw (group of about 20) a relative.

loud obnoxious and after ordering their food and drinks after 10 minutes wait (and irritating all the other customers with their constant non stop selfie taking) all stood up to leave??

if this is what this kind of elite education gives you then god help us.....none of them looked like they had enough energy to blow out a candle let alone fight anyone

• Like 1

This Shanghai American School Alumni should shut the **** up.

Whole article goes on about preserving the reputation of some school, which we never asked and don't care about. And who are you to speak? Mind your own business.

After reading the article, I have more hatred on this alumni and their school than if I never read it. Thanks for bringing it up.

It really shows the character of these kids. It's all about face, and they will do anything to keep it. A sincere apology and care about the victim would have been enough, and it shows the public how good hearted this alumni is. BUT NO, it's so obvious, "ohhhhh I come from a prestigious rich school, I just want to let you know, we are not all like that, I just need to maintain my school's good reputation, so people will think highly of me" SPOILED BRAT! think about others!! bah.gif

• Like 2

Unfortunately this is typical behavior of these elitist Chinese punks. I would hope Thai courts have them spend 6 months in jail before banning them from LOS. Let them learn how the real world works. "You ain't in China anymore. Your status here is nothing more than a punk wannabe. " Enjoy some Thai love in prison!

• Like 1

They cannot seriously be able to create charges against the victim 6 weeks later? If he also assaulted the attackers wouldn't this be known at the time ? Is this the old we'll press charges on you so that you drop the charges against us? But the police would see through that would they not ? Unless moulah is involved I simply cannot see the police pushing this through at all.

On what grounds could he face being arrested ?

I find this a bit of a stretch to honest. Where are jacks lawyers in all this ?

The police and the ncpo ?

Actually I would like to add that I have spoken to this mother once before. Over a month ago and briefly.

Model citizen of Bangkok I am advised by many and worked hard here with her son for many years. Very highly thought of and well known.

Ms Hanson please feel free to reach out to me. I am unsure how I can help but did face a legal battle here in Thailand once myself with my girlfriend who was the victim of an attack. If there is any way that I can help or offer advice I would be willing to do so. For jack to be facing arrest I feel that there is something very fishy indeed going on and it's not the som Tum with nam plaa!

• Like 2

What these "rich" Chinese kids allegedly did was abhorrent, but when (ultra numerous) poor criminals do this, I never hear the Thaivisa "falang" talking about "typical" poor punks.

Is it that so many Thaivisa people have a strong chip on their shoulder against rich Asians, especially Chinese? (Just a question)

Just look at how many other posts in other threads are against the "Thai-Chinese". Funny thing is, many of these Thaivisa people have been screwed over by their wives' non-Chinese Thai families and never by the Thai-Chinese, yet the anger is against this group.

I wonder why that is, considering that I'm sure it has absolutely nothing to do with Thaivisa falangs feeling inferior to rich Asians? (again, just a question) wink.png

Whole article goes on about preserving the reputation of some school, which we never asked and don't care about. And who are you to speak? Mind your own business.

After reading the article, I have more hatred on this alumni and their school than if I never read it. Thanks for bringing it up.

It really shows the character of these kids. It's all about face, and they will do anything to keep it. A sincere apology and care about the victim would have been enough, and it shows the public how good hearted this alumni is. BUT NO, it's so obvious, "ohhhhh I come from a prestigious rich school, I just want to let you know, we are not all like that, I just need to maintain my school's good reputation, so people will think highly of me" SPOILED BRAT! think about others!! bah.gif

Sorry, but I think that you are being a bit harsh on the guy that wrote the apology.

Maybe, just maybe, that like us he feels that what happened was wrong. I could be mistaken, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

A we can see from some of the later posts, there is a lot of angst about 'rich kids/spoilt brats' etc. But - not everyone is the same.

If I understand the latest situation, the NCPO has had the charges against Jack dropped, the suspects have had their passports taken and their lawyer has had his wrist slapped for being a naughty boy. Surely this is positive stuff.

The NCPO has not had the charged dropped. He has been charged with (1) a misdemeanor and (2) assault. There is no medical evidence of any assault.

The fine for a misdemeanor is usually 500 baht. assault not causing injury maybe 1-2000. The cost for the Samui policeman to fly to Bangkok and back 10,000 min. Now Mrs Hansen has to raise cash for a full trial! - Thai justice.

• Like 1

"What these "rich" Chinese kids allegedly did was abhorrent, but when (ultra numerous) poor criminals do this, I never hear the Thaivisa "falang" talking about "typical" poor punks."

Well can you give some examples of "typical poor punks" violently attacking a f-rang then getting away with it, getting him arrested etc.? Also I've come across the same in home country, where a rich brat I went to school with ended up drinking while intoxicated, wrecking head-on into a car, walking away while the poor old man in the other car was killed instantly, and of course the rich little s**t got away with a slap on the wrist. This pisses off people everywhere.

"Just look at how many other posts in other threads are against the "Thai-Chinese". Funny thing is, many of these Thaivisa people have been screwed over by their wives' non-Chinese Thai families and never by the Thai-Chinese, yet the anger is against this group."

Well yes the anti-Chinese sentiment runs strong even among SE Asians like Thais, Vietnamese, etc. The impression is that the rich ones gained their wealth through corruption, racketing schemes, theft of resources, etc., rather than contributing anything positive into the human condition.

If something ever goes missing when you're around Thais, jokingly say a China-man stole it and you will hear laughs all around.

Sorry, but I think that you are being a bit harsh on the guy that wrote the apology.

Maybe, just maybe, that like us he feels that what happened was wrong. I could be mistaken, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

A we can see from some of the later posts, there is a lot of angst about 'rich kids/spoilt brats' etc. But - not everyone is the same.

If I understand the latest situation, the NCPO has had the charges against Jack dropped, the suspects have had their passports taken and their lawyer has had his wrist slapped for being a naughty boy. Surely this is positive stuff.

The NCPO has not had the charged dropped. He has been charged with (1) a misdemeanor and (2) assault. There is no medical evidence of any assault.

The fine for a misdemeanor is usually 500 baht. assault not causing injury maybe 1-2000. The cost for the Samui policeman to fly to Bangkok and back 10,000 min. Now Mrs Hansen has to raise cash for a full trial! - Thai justice.

Their lawyer would probably advise making a counter complaint for assault. Seen that happen many times in the UK. Lawyers aren't interested in truth or justice - they're interested in getting a not guilty verdict or mitigating punishment if a guilty verdict.

Let's hope the Thai courts take this into account when sentencing if they are found guilty. No sentence reduction for honest helpfulness.

Daddy probably assumed he could buy the boys out of the charges and avoid any charges himself. Let's hope the new mood in Thailand proves him wrong. The 2 Police Officers seem more professional so let's hope the NCPO stop any interference from those less so.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It really shows the character of these kids. It's all about face, and they will do anything to keep it. A sincere apology and care about the victim would have been enough, and it shows the public how good hearted this alumni is. BUT NO, it's so obvious, "ohhhhh I come from a prestigious rich school, I just want to let you know, we are not all like that, I just need to maintain my school's good reputation, so people will think highly of me" SPOILED BRAT! think about others!! alt=bah.gif>

The point being, what those 2 kids did was wrong in every perspective. And for one of the alumni to bring this up in his name and with regards to his school's reputation is not anyone's clear interest right now.

Imagine one of your family members is dead caused by some employee of a company. Then another Public Relations staff comes out telling you how they were sorry their other staff committed murder. What's your reaction? "Sorry my ***, mind your own business" You really have to put yourself in that position to understand, an apology isn't simply an apology. It's the message it gives. Wouldn't it be nice to have the person who committed the crime apologize to you directly? That to me, seems very sincere and accepting. I find it very rude, to pretend to apologize for others.

Second, an apology would have been enough. But no, it continues. The Public Relations staff continues to tell you "We would like to make it clear that we are a very good company, and would not like our image to be destroyed by this particular one staff. We are very good people, I am very ashamed of that particular staff. Please keep buying things from us. Peace"

Hope you get the point why this harshness is needed. Scums. It's exactly the same thing, if some boss of a company causes harm to your family, and some manager shows up at your door, explaining how sorry he is. Do you believe him? Do you want to smack him? And the boss never shows up.

Give it a thought.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

It really shows the character of these kids. It's all about face, and they will do anything to keep it. A sincere apology and care about the victim would have been enough, and it shows the public how good hearted this alumni is. BUT NO, it's so obvious, "ohhhhh I come from a prestigious rich school, I just want to let you know, we are not all like that, I just need to maintain my school's good reputation, so people will think highly of me" SPOILED BRAT! think about others!! alt=bah.gif>

The point being, what those 2 kids did was wrong in every perspective. And for one of the alumni to bring this up in his name and with regards to his school's reputation is not anyone's clear interest right now.

Imagine one of your family members is dead caused by some employee of a company. Then another Public Relations staff comes out telling you how they were sorry their other staff committed murder. What's your reaction? "Sorry my ***, mind your own business" You really have to put yourself in that position to understand, an apology isn't simply an apology. It's the message it gives. Wouldn't it be nice to have the person who committed the crime apologize to you directly? That to me, seems very sincere and accepting. I find it very rude, to pretend to apologize for others.

Second, an apology would have been enough. But no, it continues. The Public Relations staff continues to tell you "We would like to make it clear that we are a very good company, and would not like our image to be destroyed by this particular one staff. We are very good people, I am very ashamed of that particular staff. Please keep buying things from us. Peace"

Hope you get the point why this harshness is needed. Scums. It's exactly the same thing, if some boss of a company causes harm to your family, and some manager shows up at your door, explaining how sorry he is. Do you believe him? Do you want to smack him? And the boss never shows up.

Give it a thought.

Indeed, it is a pretty shallow apology.

The school has to take it on the chin that a lot of people think he is a typical spoilt rich &lt;deleted&gt; who's conduct reflects that of many in the alumni.

Gojng to school doesn't confer some type of gold stamp of good behaviour. Plenty of idiots in all schools, rich and poor.

Well lucky Ms Hansen harnessing those Embassy contacts the police contacts and contacts at ncpo

Although she seems to have never thanked the embassy which is odd when she is very happy from what I have seen to thank the police colonel stit and ncpo colonel werachon and sas students that have helped in the case - and one student in particular who was willing to go public. She definately does not strike me as being at a loss as who to thank so it seems very off indeed as to why she would neglect to thank her #Australian Embassy. She even thanked the Thai people for their support which I thought was quite broad and perhaps she had run out of people to actually thank ! I hope she can recall the embassy next time she espouses her gratitude to all parties assisting her ! Or perhaps it's covert assistance - an embassy wouldn't perhaps want to be seen assisting a national or perhaps it's a covert security issue! However, the national ruling military can be seen to assist a foreigner without security risk it seems. Please. Someone please headline #Funny stuff happening with Ms Hansen and Aussie Embassy !!!

Insert laughter here......