Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun! (inc photos)

canarysun

Hua Hin by Train - All Aboard Viewers!

Hello again Viewers!

Last year i took the train to Hua Hin. The Train leaves Bangkok's Hua Lampong Railway Station daily at 09.20 at a reasonable price of 44 Baht ( please note all my trips are on very low budget cost ) It takes about 4 hours and wonderful scenery all the way on this fabulous 3rd Class Ordinary Train.With the window open you will get the most " delightful breeze " viewers that will keep you nice and cool " en route " ( not advisable to open the window if you are wearing a wig ...) The Train then arrives a few hours later in a rather colorful and popular train station called Hua Hin. Here are a few of my photos from a packed 2 day trip to Hua Hin and the Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park ( absolutely fabulous! )

Farang Jaidee ( " on the tracks " )wai2.gif

It's the ordinary 2nd class with the windows open that I enjoy so much, comfortable reclining seats, in 3rd class it can be okay for a couple of hours but sitting in an upright wooden seat it is not fun for much more than a couple of hours but you won't bust your budget paying for 2nd...the Diesel Rapid Car (DRC on timetables) 2nd class services I wouldn't recommend at all, noisy, freezing aircon, often frosty windows and you pay a lot more than ordinary 2nd class.

• Like 1

I look forward to your stories and pix, I used to do the same thing a few years back and had great fun, I was thinking I really ought to start roaming again!

NO beer!

When did this happen?

I quote rak sa_ngop

Travelling by train in Thailand has lost its appeal ever since they stooped selling beer.

I used to love sitting in the restaurant carriage of the Nong Khai train sucking a few bottles of beer while trying to eat my splashing around Tom Yam Kung soup.

Will those days ever return???

shock1.gif

• Like 1

Travelling by train in Thailand has lost its appeal ever since they stooped selling beer.

I used to love sitting in the restaurant carriage of the Nong Khai train sucking a few bottles of beer while trying to eat my splashing around Tom Yam Kung soup.

Will those days ever return???

I take my lady, a bottle of Regency, some Pla Duc or Pen Quin Gai, and order a bucket of ice, mixers, rice, soup, and veggies served in our cabin--better service in the first class.

• Like 2

Nice idea, please also post pictures of the toilets.

Who cares about toilets, as long its there. Don't think train tourist have big expectations apart from beeing able to do what needed.

Good enough for me the Price taken into in consideration.. Not convenient mode of travel if on ordinary train and class..

rolleyes.gif

What is this romanticisng of Train travel in Thailand?

Most of them are awful. Rundown, dirty, hot, crowded, tin boxes. The toilets stink, you could get 100 different types of food poisoining from the vendors, they are always late, the views are generally rubbish...views of actual rubbish most of the time.

They are very cheap, I will give you that.

What is this romanticisng of Train travel in Thailand?

Most of them are awful. Rundown, dirty, hot, crowded, tin boxes. The toilets stink, you could get 100 different types of food poisoining from the vendors, they are always late, the views are generally rubbish...views of actual rubbish most of the time.

They are very cheap, I will give you that.

"UP TO YOU" wink.png

• Like 1

Will you post more details I would like to know more. I write blogs for a few mates who have hostels in Vietnam an Thailand and would suggest that you could provide guest blogs can you PM me your email address and I will be happy to put you guys together or if you want you can provide the facts and pics and I will produce the sizzle

I only took the Train from BKK to Hat Yai once

worst part was getting out of BKK which took a long time

Can you buy a ticket from one of the stops, like Bang Sue (MRT stop) or others on lines going other directions ,

Yes you can. I always jump off at Bang Sue coming back to Bangkok and then take the MRT into town. Going out of Bangkok I prefer to start from Hualampong for practical reasons. It might of course depend on where in Bangkok you live.