Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun! (inc photos)

canarysun

Can you post some "day trips" leaving early 6-7-8am and getting back to BKK around 8pm ,

staying a few hours in a decent size town to check it out.....

and if there is a train station like Bang Sue that you can get close to by BTS -MRT ?

I would rather spend time looking at fields than the back of buildings crawling thru BKK

As I am sure you know that Thailand rail travel as is the whole of south east asia and the world could not be better covered as it is by The man in seat 61 ( wwwseat61.com } anyways good luck on your venture I have travelled to Thailand from the uk by land, sea, and air. by land ( rail ) was for me my best ever travel experience.

the website wwwseat61.com seems dead , was that the correct URL ?

OOPS it seems to be here http://www.seat61.com

and here is the page for Thailand

http://www.seat61.com/Thailand.htm

Edited by BKKdreaming

Travelling by train in Thailand has lost its appeal ever since they stooped selling beer.

I usually buy a second class ticket and then meander around the third class cars to find an opportunity to engage in conversation within earshot of where some Thais are drinking and inevitably I get invited for a shot or two of lao khao. Once feeling a little tipsy I head back to the second class car and then get conversational there. If you speak even a little Thai, the trains almost always provide a wonderful social experience. And as a backup plan, I always take a small bottle (ben) with me to mix my own drink if necessary.

Well I think, it makes a nice change and gives some good info on ideas for peeps to go and try... I can see the appeal of the adventure of just getting on board and going with the flow instead of being cosseted in an upper class carriage or Luxury air con Bus, and what a great price for the journey? Keep the posts coming please and the pics too!

• Like 1

I would try it if they could stay on the rails! I think last year there was around 200 derailments (maybe more) and I saw the Orient Express just "fell" of the rails a few weeks back.

Hundreds of people are killed every day on the roads in Thailand.But most people still use them! (I try not to!) But apart from flying "travelling by train" is still a much safer option! F.J
  • Like 2

Travelling by train in Thailand has lost its appeal ever since they stooped selling beer.

I usually buy a second class ticket and then meander around the third class cars to find an opportunity to engage in conversation within earshot of where some Thais are drinking and inevitably I get invited for a shot or two of lao khao. Once feeling a little tipsy I head back to the second class car and then get conversational there. If you speak even a little Thai, the trains almost always provide a wonderful social experience. And as a backup plan, I always take a small bottle (ben) with me to mix my own drink if necessary.

I totally agree with you! I actually don't drink but yes that's another great thing with travelling by train you can chat " with the world and there wife" I have met some lovely people and some great characters on the 3rd class trains! F.J
  • Like 1

I would try it if they could stay on the rails! I think last year there was around 200 derailments (maybe more) and I saw the Orient Express just "fell" of the rails a few weeks back.

Hundreds of people are killed every day on the roads in Thailand.But most people still use them! (I try not to!) But apart from flying "travelling by train" is still a much safer option! F.J

I will anytime prefer train from bus (minibus) "I’ve experienced far too many bus rides with a kamikaze driver – seemingly hell bent on risky the lives of all of the passengers on board – playing chicken with oncoming traffic to shave a few minutes off our journey" Copied from article...

Can you post some "day trips" leaving early 6-7-8am and getting back to BKK around 8pm ,

and if there is a train station like Bang Sue that you can get close to by BTS -MRT ?

I would rather spend time looking at fields than the back of buildings crawling thru BKK

Hello viewer! How about Nakhon Pathom? 2 hours approx out of town.Most of the trains stop in Bang Sue or you have trains going places out of Wongwian Yai & Thonburi Railway Station ( Bangkok Noi ) Nakhon Pathom is a fab place! I will post some info and pics soon F.J

I used to love sitting in the restaurant carriage of the Nong Khai train sucking a few bottles of beer while trying to eat my splashing around Tom Yam Kung soup.

Will those days ever return???

Had you ever drink with those who work on a train wearing their uniform and sing karaoke with them?

I did :-p

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hello viewer! How about Nakhon Pathom? 2 hours approx out of town.Most of the trains stop in Bang Sue or you have trains going places out of Wongwian Yai & Thonburi Railway Station ( Bangkok Noi ) Nakhon Pathom is a fab place! I will post some info and pics soon F.J

Sounds good , can you post the early times they leave BKK area and the last few trains returning ?

and some pics when you can

Unclesiberia. Please tell me how you traveled from the UK to Thailand by train? Was it the train that goes from Brussels,through Russia,Siberia,Mongolia to Hanoi then you find your way to Thailand? I enquired about this but i was put off because I would have had to share a small cabin with three other men for a couple of weeks.Things could turn nasty and maybe a bit smelly.But it would be the trip of a lifetime.

I look forward to your stories and pix, I used to do the same thing a few years back and had great fun, I was thinking I really ought to start roaming again!

NO beer!

When did this happen?

I quote rak sa_ngop

I used to love sitting in the restaurant carriage of the Nong Khai train sucking a few bottles of beer while trying to eat my splashing around Tom Yam Kung soup.

Will those days ever return???

shock1.gif

Why is it that everywhere most men go, there has to be beer? No wonder there is so much alcoholcism.
Why not ?
  • Like 1

A lot of those would have been south of Chiang Mai. A lot of the old wooden sleepers had rotted out. Now many kms south of CM has had the whole track bed replaced with new ballast, welded rail and concrete sleepers.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There are travellers, then there are those who prefer to get from A - B as quickly as possible, sadly they lose out on many of the rich experiences of life the real travellers enjoy.

1st class aircon cabins are a very solitary & very cold experience. (Bkk - Sura Thani return in 2005)

Earlier this year I did CM - Bkk by day - sadly no 2nd class fan. i.e. no open windows on this train.

..... and Hua Hin - Sura Thani. Surprised at the good speed of travel on this run.

Despite the many kms covered, didn't see any hawkers selling smelly (or otherwise) food this year. Much of that has been stopped.

No beer???? What's that about? I never drink in the daytime so didn't hear anything about this.

Would suggest Thailand is not an ideal country for someone who dislikes "smelly food".

Edited by Lancashirelad

What is this romanticisng of Train travel in Thailand?

Most of them are awful. Rundown, dirty, hot, crowded, tin boxes. The toilets stink, you could get 100 different types of food poisoining from the vendors, they are always late, the views are generally rubbish...views of actual rubbish most of the time. They are very cheap, I will give you that.

Luckily you have the internet and Thaivisa to live vicariously through....

Luckily I have standards.

I know some people consider slumming it part of their life experience.

I know some people who wouldn't know a life experience if it jumped up and bit them on the left testicle.

• Like 2

I've travelled a lot throughout Thailand on tours, visa runs etc and haven't seen many rail tracks. Those that I've seen rarely have any trains on them. For instance, there's a station near to Pattaya, but from what I understand there are only 2 trains per day running this line!!! For a country with ASEAN aspirations all I can see is that the pathetic Thai railway network has suffered badly from under-investment in the hands of previous governments. Yes, it's quaint, but outdated. If Thailand wants a fully integrated 21st century transport system big money will have to be spent very soon. Hopefully, some of the tourist attractions such as Hua Hin station can be preserved for posterity in this process.

I've travelled a lot throughout Thailand on tours, visa runs etc and haven't seen many rail tracks. Those that I've seen rarely have any trains on them. For instance, there's a station near to Pattaya, but from what I understand there are only 2 trains per day running this line!!! For a country with ASEAN aspirations all I can see is that the pathetic Thai railway network has suffered badly from under-investment in the hands of previous governments. Yes, it's quaint, but outdated. If Thailand wants a fully integrated 21st century transport system big money will have to be spent very soon. Hopefully, some of the tourist attractions such as Hua Hin station can be preserved for posterity in this process.

I live in Pattaya and very often use the train to take me to Si racha for the afternoon ( 5 baht ) and sometimes just take the train to Bangkok ( 31 baht ) just for the ride and fab scenery! I hope that the "high speed trains" never develope as these slow laid back trains are just fab! F.J

Hello Again Viewers!

Some of you don't seem to quite understand the reason why i ( and many people ) choose to travel by train in Thailand.It has and will never be the most " luxurious " way to travel around! I am single and live a very simple and basic life here in Thailand and i can honestly say that " the best things in life are free " When the sun is shining then i will be on the beach soaking up the lovely weather ( not stuck indoors ) When i travel its about " going on an adventure " taking the most scenic and most exciting journey possible! The trains are not quick but i am not in a rush! ( for anything ) The 3rd class ordinary trains are " good enough " to travel in, a seat, a window and loads of leg room too! its a fantastic way to see and explore new things and see the most beautiful old railway stations en route.What view do you get on a bus? and don't you just hate aircon? ( i do ).The trains are also very cheap with an average 4 hour train journey will cost between 30 to 40 baht. How much would a 4 hour train journey cost in Europe? I am not a " Train Geek " & i don't have " Train Posters " on my bedroom wall .... I have great fun on the trains and would highly recommend it! see you " on the tracks " soon........!

Farang Jaidee ( " on the tracks " )wub.png

Coming up next i will post my " River Kwai Adventure " ( Kanchanaburi ) stay tuned viewers............. x

I can see what you are getting at, if you are a gregarious sort of person and are looking for a little adventure a train journey isn't bad. I personally prefer air-con,in fact without it it's torture as far as i am concerned. Travelling by train in Europe is expensive but the trains are modern,clean,safe and on time which for someone wanting to get to point B from point A is a big plus. I speak Thai but i prefer to stay away from Thais drinking alcohol, they are unpredictable and at times downright dangerous,drunks anywhere tend to be obnoxious. I have to travel to Bangkok from Surin twice a year, i choose the train because it's safer than going by bus and i wont drive myself in Bangkok,but these journeys are something i have come to dread,it is just so damned uncivilized.

• Like 2

I will anytime prefer train from bus (minibus) "Ive experienced far too many bus rides with a kamikaze driver seemingly hell bent on risky the lives of all of the passengers on board playing chicken with oncoming traffic to shave a few minutes off our journey" Copied from article...

The problem is that 99% of the minibuses destinations don't have any trains

As I am sure you know that Thailand rail travel as is the whole of south east asia and the world could not be better covered as it is by The man in seat 61 ( wwwseat61.com } anyways good luck on your venture I have travelled to Thailand from the uk by land, sea, and air. by land ( rail ) was for me my best ever travel experience.

Yes, I agree - the site above has great, detailed info, and not just about Thailand.

RE Thailand, if you like a relaxing, more solitary experience, the first class sleeper (1900 THB Bangkok - Chiang Mai) is great. The whole train is available, but you can retreat to your private cabin anytime. Two experience have had perfectly adjustable AC also (sorry, no wind in your hair). Toilet was wet, as always, but clean, and stinky only when not moving. Also not much waiting for it in first class.

RE food and drink: they will deliver to your room, but were quite demanding about tips. I like to tip, but don't like compulsion, so I got my own food / drink in the station. But the resto car sounds like fun.

RE time: in my experience, (BKK Chaing Mai and Hua Hin), the trains have ALWAYS been late. Chiang Mai was 3 hours late once. So factor that in. It's the journey far more than the destination.

If you like train travel, you'll probably like it!