Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun! (inc photos)

canarysun

Great photos!

We've only taken the train on an overnight up to Laos, and it was great fun.

Last week, we spent too much time enjoying the sunset in Ayutthaya to catch the last van back, so we just went over to the train station and got a fun ride back to Bangkok for 20THB.

Definitely going to take the train more just to see more of Thailand.

Great photos!

Last week, we spent too much time enjoying the sunset in Ayutthaya to catch the last van back, so we just went over to the train station and got a fun ride back to Bangkok for 20THB.

Thankyou - " kind words "

Yes i spend a lot of time in Ayutthaya it's my " Hub " outside of Bangkok and i meet up with loads of backpackers there sharing ideas and stories! It's also a great place to " sleep over night " as there are some cheap and basic rooms near the railway station from 150 baht a night! Also the Railway Staff are so nice and helpful and the Station Master is a " true gentleman to the highest order " F.J

Great to know that someone likes to ride on trains as much as I do. If you ever feel the urge to live dangerously, then come and take a train ride in the Deep South. Yes, you can come by train from Bangkok to Hatyai (if the line isn't bombed, which is something as rare as a blue moon). From Hatyai to Sungai Kolok, there are trains the whole day through from the early morning to mid-afternoon.

I always travel by third class because I have this nightmare about someone farting in an airconditioned coach. The view is good, if you like trees and I do like trees. The company is good if you like schoolgirls and there are plenty of them riding in third class. No, no, I am not like that but then again I would rather have a schoolgirl sit next to me if the alternative is an old fart stinking of stale beer and overnight sweat plus over-rated dreams of grandiosity.

So how dangerous is a train ride in the Deep South?

The last time (and the very first time) I was ever shot at on a train was something like two decades ago. Since then I have always looked forward to experiencing a bomb-related derailment but, so far no such luck. Still I can always hope.

• Like 1

I've travelled a lot throughout Thailand on tours, visa runs etc and haven't seen many rail tracks. Those that I've seen rarely have any trains on them. For instance, there's a station near to Pattaya, but from what I understand there are only 2 trains per day running this line!!! For a country with ASEAN aspirations all I can see is that the pathetic Thai railway network has suffered badly from under-investment in the hands of previous governments. Yes, it's quaint, but outdated. If Thailand wants a fully integrated 21st century transport system big money will have to be spent very soon. Hopefully, some of the tourist attractions such as Hua Hin station can be preserved for posterity in this process.

The thai rail network is a great way to travel around Thailand at slow speed only! people who love travel will enjoy it and its uber cheap in third class. Lots of single track so trains have to stop to let other train coming the other way pass. Lots of delays so again don't be in a rush. Service frequency can be very poor. I have taken the morning train to Hua Hin and Prachuap from Bangkok many times but I always return on the bus as the return trains depart at 21:00 or 0200 (can't remember the exact times but it's never an option).

Third class is fine for a few hours in the daytime but third class during the hot season is pretty tough! Day train Hayai to Surathani slow service stops everywhere takes about 10 hours has been baked into my memory as a bit of a hell journey. Same with trains to Buriram and Korat during hot season. Better on the aircon bus during this time.

Yes the trains and lines are antiquated but credit where its due ....i travel from Phrachuap to Bangkok usually twice a month, train leaves PKK at 11.30 pm arrives 6.00am morning..... time for breakfast then visit bank and accountant shoping etc return train 3pm back home 9pm.

Done it many times and suprisingly i would say trains are on time (well within 30 mins) 90% of the time

However timing wise .....In my younger days I did the Trans Mongolian( Moscow Ulaan Battar Beijing) 7 days travelling arrived in Bejing 3 minutes lateclap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

I look forward to your stories and pix, I used to do the same thing a few years back and had great fun, I was thinking I really ought to start roaming again!

NO beer!

When did this happen?

I quote rak sa_ngop

Travelling by train in Thailand has lost its appeal ever since they stooped selling beer.

I used to love sitting in the restaurant carriage of the Nong Khai train sucking a few bottles of beer while trying to eat my splashing around Tom Yam Kung soup.

Will those days ever return???

shock1.gif

Why is it that everywhere most men go, there has to be beer? No wonder there is so much alcoholcism.
Why not ?

Why not ? You got the answer: "No wonder there is so much alcoholcism" facepalm.gif

Unclesiberia. Please tell me how you traveled from the UK to Thailand by train? Was it the train that goes from Brussels,through Russia,Siberia,Mongolia to Hanoi then you find your way to Thailand? I enquired about this but i was put off because I would have had to share a small cabin with three other men for a couple of weeks.Things could turn nasty and maybe a bit smelly.But it would be the trip of a lifetime.

I can't imagine a more interesting and exciting trip! I did Beijing to St. Petersburg. What an interesting trip. Hard at times, basic conditions almost all the time, but great memories. Especially the one with me in a cabin with 3 other gregarious Russians. What an amazing time we had! I was so hungover the next day I had to miss my stop and continue on. Just couldn't get out of bed!

If you travel off season, it's relatively easy to get a private cabin. I had one probably 70% of the time over my 30 day journey.

Sorry to go off topic.

wai2.gif

What is this romanticisng of Train travel in Thailand?

Most of them are awful. Rundown, dirty, hot, crowded, tin boxes. The toilets stink, you could get 100 different types of food poisoining from the vendors, they are always late, the views are generally rubbish...views of actual rubbish most of the time. They are very cheap, I will give you that.

Luckily you have the internet and Thaivisa to live vicariously through....

Luckily I have standards.

I know some people consider slumming it part of their life experience.

I know some people who wouldn't know a life experience if it jumped up and bit them on the left testicle.

There are some life experiences that one can do without,being bitten on the left testicle is one of them,desperate to get home from sweaty Bangkok and finding that instead of a tortuous 6 and a half hours it is taking 9 hours is another

Great photos!

Thankyou - " kind words "

Yes i spend a lot of time in Ayutthaya it's my " Hub " outside of Bangkok and i meet up with loads of backpackers there sharing ideas and stories! It's also a great place to " sleep over night " as there are some cheap and basic rooms near the railway station from 150 baht a night! Also the Railway Staff are so nice and helpful and the Station Master is a " true gentleman to the highest order " F.J

Canary sun you have to careful mentioning backpackers on this forum as half of the members are not travelers and are liable to anti-backpacker rants.

I have stayed on the river close to Ayuthaya station many times as an alternative to staying in Bangkok. Commute into Bangkok in the morning and return afternoon or evening. Hotels and guesthouses minutes from the station. It's great for flights from Don Muang as well as the train stops at the airport.

I am not a train spotter but I always thought the steam engines rusting away, overgrown with jungle in a yard near Makasan station were very exotic and glimpse of old Thailand. Hualamphong to Makasan was 2 baht the last time I used it. 5 baht to Lat Krabang.

• Like 2

I traveled by train from Singapore to Chiang Mai stopping off at Kuala Lumpur,Ippoh,AloreSatar,Hayai,Nakkon Si Thammarat,Chumphon,Kok Samai,Prachup Kiri Khan,Hua Hin,Bangkok,Pitsanulok,Prae then Chiang Mai.(Sorry for spelling).It took me three months,staying for a few days in these places and, apart from a couple of delays,everything ran smoothly. Two suggestions :The height from the platform to the door of the trains was very high.About 4 feet.You need to be a weightlifter to get your bag up onto the carriage. The passageway down the centre of the train was far too narrow.I had to carry my bag up to my chest to move along the train. Are you listening Thai Railways?But the most important thing of all is that nothing bit my left testicle.

• Like 1

I recall one train trip from Phitsanuloke to Bangkok some years ago. We had not got tickets in advance and wound up sitting in third class if my memory is correct. I don't recall how long the trip lasted but it seemed to take forever, of course that may have been due to the hard plastic / fiberglass seats, no air conditioning, standing room only (we did get seated though standing may have been more comfortable than the plastic seats), the guy one row away with his caged rooster (at least it was in a cage), and then there was the bathroom that looked like it was the one they used in the filming of the Mummy returns!!! Ah yes, fond memories!

trainspotting-toilet-3_5929.jpg

I look forward to your stories and pix, I used to do the same thing a few years back and had great fun, I was thinking I really ought to start roaming again!

NO beer!

When did this happen?

I quote rak sa_ngop

Travelling by train in Thailand has lost its appeal ever since they stooped selling beer.

I used to love sitting in the restaurant carriage of the Nong Khai train sucking a few bottles of beer while trying to eat my splashing around Tom Yam Kung soup.

shock1.gif

Why is it that everywhere most men go, there has to be beer? No wonder there is so much alcoholcism.
Why not ?

So you want beer to be available everywhere you go? Well that's your problem, and I mean problem. There is nothing wrong with sociable drinking, but surely a couple of days rest from alcohol is not to much to ask.

When I came to Thailand eight years ago, there were two Farang friends who were never without alcohol by their side, they are now both dead.

• Like 1

I think the train is better than the bus , which is better than the minibus

At least with the train you normally do not have someone driving towards you on the wrong side of the road with no lights !

and yes flying is even better if you book the cheaper flights months before !

but you cannot expect 1st world service in 3rd class !

And I quess another question is , what phone carrier has the best service out in the middle of no where on the train ?

We do need to put photos up on twitter wherever we are !

Nakhon Pathom - " All Aboard Viewers " !

Here is a fab trip out Viewers! Ideal if you are staying in Bangkok too! Take the 09.20 Train ( Hua Hin train ) from Bangkok's Hua Lampong Station ( Thonburi is also available if you wish ) and it will take about 1 hour 30 mins on the fabulous ordinary 3rd class train at a cool 14 Baht ( a busy train will keep your eyes on the scenery and non stop banter with the locals! ) I love Nakhon Pathom It's a busy little place,the people are amazingly friendly ( just like myself viewers..) and loads going on! Most travellers stay just for one day but there was too much to see and do and for me being " the adventurous traveller " I stayed for 2 nights.Rooms for the night in N.P from about 200 baht ( standard price ) Plenty of roadside stalls and restaurants offering thai dishes from around 30 baht.Now i just love " Parks " don't you viewers? and Nakhon Pathom has the most fabulous park and it all " comes alive " in the early evening with the locals out jogging and out for a casual stroll.

Loads of " Buddha things " to see and photograph and all quite close to the busy Train Station! Take one of the old buses and head out to " The Rose Garden " 30 minutes out of town,lovely kept gardens and i even found an elephant wandering about ....( as you do....)

This little 2 night trip cost me around 1,200 baht " all in " ( please note viewers that i don't drink and have no interest in visiting Bars whatsoever so the costs are nice and low )

Here are a few photos from the trip!

Farang Jaidee ( " On the tracks " )

post-193254-0-91921500-1408413835_thumb.

post-193254-0-73090200-1408413862_thumb.

post-193254-0-37882000-1408413890_thumb.

post-193254-0-86166900-1408413934_thumb.

post-193254-0-14966000-1408413951_thumb.

post-193254-0-49213000-1408413981_thumb.

post-193254-0-44154000-1408414017_thumb.

post-193254-0-51008200-1408414065_thumb.

post-193254-0-74768200-1408414097_thumb.

post-193254-0-17613900-1408414233_thumb.

post-193254-0-76656500-1408414268_thumb.

post-193254-0-21871200-1408414317_thumb.

• Like 2

NO beer!

When did this happen?

I quote rak sa_ngop

shock1.gif

Why not ?

So you want beer to be available everywhere you go? Well that's your problem, and I mean problem. There is nothing wrong with sociable drinking, but surely a couple of days rest from alcohol is not to much to ask.

When I came to Thailand eight years ago, there were two Farang friends who were never without alcohol by their side, they are now both dead.

Now where do I say I want alcohol wherever I go.believe it or not some people drink responsibly.

So get if off your high horse and take a chill pill.

" Extra Train Information " Are you making a note viewers..?

Those of " our viewers " that have never travelled by train in Thailand.I have attached a photo that i took a while back on the train from Bangkok's Wongwian Yai to Mahachai Line it shows what the basic 3rd Class Carriage looks like inside! (Most of the Thais can travel for free on many of the ordinary 3rd Class Trains.) Yes they are a bit " raggedy " but great fun !

You don't need a watch so just " sit back, wind down the window, and let the wind through your hair !!!!! "

F.J wai2.gif

post-193254-0-33180100-1408418709_thumb.

NO beer!

When did this happen?

I quote rak sa_ngop

shock1.gif

Why not ?

and only 98 years old

• Like 1

Unclesiberia. Please tell me how you traveled from the UK to Thailand by train? Was it the train that goes from Brussels,through Russia,Siberia,Mongolia to Hanoi then you find your way to Thailand? I enquired about this but i was put off because I would have had to share a small cabin with three other men for a couple of weeks.Things could turn nasty and maybe a bit smelly.But it would be the trip of a lifetime.

A Breakdown of the journey as follows : my home town PRESTON, LONDON, BRUSSELS, COLOGNE, TO MOSCOW TRAVELLING THROUGH GERMANY, POLAND, BELARUSS, TO MOSCOW ( THREE DAYS DOWN TIME ) TRANSIBERIAN ( 1ST CLASS ) TO VLADIVOSTOK ( THREE DAYS DOWN TIME ) VLADIVOSTOK TO HARBIN IN NORTHERN CHINA. ( TWO DAYS DOWN TIME ) HARBIN TO BEIJING (THREE DAYS DOWN TIME } THEN TRAVELLED SOUTH TO KUNMING AND THE BORDER WITH NORTH VIETNAM. THEN THE UNI EXPRESS HANOI TO SAIGON ( HO CHI MIN ) THEN COACH ACROSS BORDER TO PHNOM PENN AND THEN RAIL TO BATAMBANG ( NOW CLOSED FOR MASSIVE REFURBISH ) TAXI TO THAI BORDER THEN ON TO THE BIG MANGO. BANGKOK TO SINGAPORE. ( FLEW BACK UP TO BANGKOK AND THEN RAIL AGAIN TO PATTAYA.

I BOUGHT MY BELARUSS TRANSIT VISA, RUSSIAN VISA, AND CHINESE VISA THROUGH INTOURIST IN MANCHESTER.ALL OTHER VISA WHERE BOUGHT ON WAY. THIS JOURNEY WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER AND LIMITED NUMBERS OF PEOPLE TRAVELLING. MY CABIN ON THE TRANS SIBERIAN ( 6 DAYS ) WAS TWO BERTH AND ONLY OCCUPIED BY ME AFTER TREATING THE STEWERDESS TO SOME PERFUME. IF YOU ARE REASONABLY FIT YOU WILL BE OK TO DO THIS TRIP IN WINTER. GOOD LUCK. YOU WONT GO SHORT OF ANYTHING ON THIS JOURNEY AND I MEAN ANYTHING.

Could you just run through the " itinerary " again as I still seem to be lost in Preston......

Curious OP (Jaidee),,

do you know if it's possible to travel from PrachinBuri to Hua Hin by rail without needing to get off anywhere along the way? I have a friend that lives in Hua Hin and miss playing golf with him. I never tried taking the mini-vans or buses as you always need to change at least once along the way and I don't enjoy dragging my golf bag and travel bag through crowded areas. The station here is small and easily navigated as is the station in Hua Hin. Had never thought of this mode of transportation until reading your posts. smile.png

edit to add: I'll follow this post in case you don't have time to pm me

Edited by mrwebb8825

Curious OP (Jaidee),,

do you know if it's possible to travel from PrachinBuri to Hua Hin by rail without needing to get off anywhere along the way? I have a friend that lives in Hua Hin and miss playing golf with him. I never tried taking the mini-vans or buses as you always need to change at least once along the way and I don't enjoy dragging my golf bag and travel bag through crowded areas. The station here is small and easily navigated as is the station in Hua Hin. Had never thought of this mode of transportation until reading your posts. smile.png

edit to add: I'll follow this post in case you don't have time to pm me

Hello! I think the answer to your question is probably " No " but Thai Railway do have there own website which gives you choices of destinations and prices,times and air con or wind in your hair options.Its a basic site but simple and really all you need ( apart from a sense of humour )

Regards F.J

Please...anyone ever see a Service Dog in second or first class?

Canarysun can you let me know. I appreciate it.

You can take a dog in first class as long as you have both berths in the cabin.

Not in second.

Thank you so much.

Anyone ever do first class with a dog along? By the way I do mean a dog not an ugly girl. Lol,but my girl will also be with me.

Edited by IAMSOBAD