Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun! (inc photos)

canarysun

Canarysun have you ever seen a service dog on any of your trips?

Hello!

No I have never seen a "service dog " on a train.I have seen small dogs ( bloody irritating..) And even a " Squirrel " running around the 3rd class carriage (I always did seem to attract " the worlds wildlife ".....) F.J x

Curious OP (Jaidee),,

do you know if it's possible to travel from PrachinBuri to Hua Hin by rail without needing to get off anywhere along the way? I have a friend that lives in Hua Hin and miss playing golf with him. I never tried taking the mini-vans or buses as you always need to change at least once along the way and I don't enjoy dragging my golf bag and travel bag through crowded areas. The station here is small and easily navigated as is the station in Hua Hin. Had never thought of this mode of transportation until reading your posts. smile.png

edit to add: I'll follow this post in case you don't have time to pm me

[ The answer to your question is no.

trains depart PRACHIN BURI 5 times daily to BANGKOKS HUALAMPHONG where you will change, then you will have a choice of twelve trains down to HUA HIN. don't worry about changing trains BKK HUALAPHONG is a breeze all one level . and everywhere is accessible. the station is quite small all platforms are walk in walk of to an arrival/departure hall. this website will give all your info

www.railway.co.th/checktime/checktime.asp?lenguage=ENG

and to give you a little more info don't forget www.themaninseat61

(enjoy your trip.)

Curious OP (Jaidee),,

do you know if it's possible to travel from PrachinBuri to Hua Hin by rail without needing to get off anywhere along the way? I have a friend that lives in Hua Hin and miss playing golf with him. I never tried taking the mini-vans or buses as you always need to change at least once along the way and I don't enjoy dragging my golf bag and travel bag through crowded areas. The station here is small and easily navigated as is the station in Hua Hin. Had never thought of this mode of transportation until reading your posts. smile.png

trains depart PRACHIN BURI 5 times daily to BANGKOKS HUALAMPHONG where you will change, then you will have a choice of twelve trains down to HUA HIN. don't worry about changing trains BKK HUALAPHONG is a breeze all one level . and everywhere is accessible. the station is quite small all platforms are walk in walk of to an arrival/departure hall. this website will give all your info

(enjoy your trip.)

Dear Viewer..

I priced the trip up and the total cost of the journey is 70 baht ( optional fresh n up at 3 baht ) The only problem is that these " wind in your hair " trains can get delayed! In fact some stations the Thais actually turn up late as they know the train will be late which causes more delays! lol I would just " go with the flow " I never wear a watch and do not live my life like "John Cleese" in " Clockwise " perhaps you can practice a few " Golf Swings" in Hua Lampong station ..... F.J x

Curious OP (Jaidee),,

(enjoy your trip.)

Dear Viewer..

I priced the trip up and the total cost of the journey is 70 baht ( optional fresh n up at 3 baht ) The only problem is that these " wind in your hair " trains can get delayed! In fact some stations the Thais actually turn up late as they know the train will be late which causes more delays! lol I would just " go with the flow " I never wear a watch and do not live my life like "John Cleese" in " Clockwise " perhaps you can practice a few " Golf Swings" in Hua Lampong station ..... F.J x

Curious OP (Jaidee),,

(enjoy your trip.)

Dear Viewer..

Curious OP (Jaidee),,

(enjoy your trip.)

Dear Viewer..

Many thanks to you both for the quick and useful replies. Not sure what they'd think about me "taking the big dog out" for a few practice swings but it might be fun just to see the reactions. :) Also, 70 baht is less than it would cost me for a mini van just to get to the madhouse interior of Bangkok. We've got a school break coming up in a few weeks and Oct. is usually when the reduced rates for a month kick in so I will be eyeballing that rail journey. :D

I have family coming over here in a few months and was wondering How can one travel by train from Bangkok to Pattaya or vice versa, but also see Mae Klong Market where the street vendor have shops on the railway line and how much will it cost?

Thanking you in advance

I have family coming over here in a few months and was wondering How can one travel by train from Bangkok to Pattaya or vice versa, but also see Mae Klong Market where the street vendor have shops on the railway line and how much will it cost?

Thanking you in advance

Dear Viewer....

i will be posting that " little adventure " later with the " market on the tracks " ( a nice day out ) i am not " online all day " as i am outside most of the day enjoying the sunshine "

stay tuned............

F.J wub.png

Thanking you in advance

I think only one train to Pattaya per day, and takes a very long time. Don't bother. Take the bus from Ekamai or Morchit.

• Like 1

I've travelled a lot throughout Thailand on tours, visa runs etc and haven't seen many rail tracks. Those that I've seen rarely have any trains on them. For instance, there's a station near to Pattaya, but from what I understand there are only 2 trains per day running this line!!! For a country with ASEAN aspirations all I can see is that the pathetic Thai railway network has suffered badly from under-investment in the hands of previous governments. Yes, it's quaint, but outdated. If Thailand wants a fully integrated 21st century transport system big money will have to be spent very soon. Hopefully, some of the tourist attractions such as Hua Hin station can be preserved for posterity in this process.

(You are correct in saying that two trains a day use this line, well two[passenger trains to be correct and only Monday to Friday. now talk about freight goods and oil tankers regular and daily).

I had a very nice train ride to Bangkok from Surin a few days ago,not only did the train pull in to Surin on time ( normally an hour late ) it was 5 minuets early !!! It arrived in Bangkok on time, i couldn't believe it. I met up with 3 very nice house wives and had a nice chat all the way. The train was clean. Unfortunately the journey back was up to Thai standard, one and a half hours late on arrival,never the less the journey to Bangkok showed it can be done properly if they pull their fingers out.

• Like 1

Thanking you in advance

It costs about 20 Bt http://www.railway.co.th/Ticket/TrainStopStation_Time_All.asp?IdTrain=283&Leg=en

Sukhothai : ( historical park ) " All Aboard viewers! "

Hello Viewers and greetings to you all !

Here is another fab trip i went on last year i thought i would share it with you all !

From Bangkok's Hua Lampong station i caught the 07.00 train ( Rapid ) to Phitsanulok at a cool 179 baht ( ordinary trains from just 69 baht ) I chose the Rapid train as it is a long 6 hour journey!

A long train ride with some great scenery as always with some great buddha temples and interesting things all hidden away in the mountains so keep your eyes on the scenery!

On my arrival at Phitsanulok ( a big train station with friendly Railway Staff ) i then headed to the bus station and caught a nice old cheap bus to Sukhothai ( about a 1 hour journey ) which took me to " The end of the world " ( well it felt like it! ) I found a nice new room for 200 baht, a 7 eleven and a restaurant ( shack style ) offering delicious Thai meals for around 30 baht ( standard prices in Thailand ) I booked in for 2 nights ( zzzzzzzzzz )

The next morning up " with the lark " at 05.00 and caught the bus to the " Historical Park " about 35 minutes away. Sukhothai itself didn't excite me but the Historical Park was " absolutely fabulous " infact it was " stunning " free entrance and you will need at least 4 hours of walking about or you can rent a " cool bicycle " for a few baht from close by.Take a picnic lunch and enjoy this delightful location ! Don't you just love picnics viewers???

All in all it was well worth the long journey and i came back with some nice photos too! Here are just a few of my photos from my adventure! i hope you like them !

see you on another train adventure soon viewers.......

Farang Jaidee ( " on the tracks " )wub.png

Thanks for the promo. I hope to be going to Sukhothai myself soon ( never been before ).

Do you have a name for the guest house, please?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Sukhothai : ( historical park ) " All Aboard viewers! "

Hello Viewers and greetings to you all !

Here is another fab trip i went on last year i thought i would share it with you all !

From Bangkok's Hua Lampong station i caught the 07.00 train ( Rapid ) to Phitsanulok at a cool 179 baht ( ordinary trains from just 69 baht ) I chose the Rapid train as it is a long 6 hour journey!

A long train ride with some great scenery as always with some great buddha temples and interesting things all hidden away in the mountains so keep your eyes on the scenery!

On my arrival at Phitsanulok ( a big train station with friendly Railway Staff ) i then headed to the bus station and caught a nice old cheap bus to Sukhothai ( about a 1 hour journey ) which took me to " The end of the world " ( well it felt like it! ) I found a nice new room for 200 baht, a 7 eleven and a restaurant ( shack style ) offering delicious Thai meals for around 30 baht ( standard prices in Thailand ) I booked in for 2 nights ( zzzzzzzzzz )

The next morning up " with the lark " at 05.00 and caught the bus to the " Historical Park " about 35 minutes away. Sukhothai itself didn't excite me but the Historical Park was " absolutely fabulous " infact it was " stunning " free entrance and you will need at least 4 hours of walking about or you can rent a " cool bicycle " for a few baht from close by.Take a picnic lunch and enjoy this delightful location ! Don't you just love picnics viewers???

All in all it was well worth the long journey and i came back with some nice photos too! Here are just a few of my photos from my adventure! i hope you like them !

see you on another train adventure soon viewers.......

Farang Jaidee ( " on the tracks " ) alt=wub.png>

Thanks for the promo. I hope to be going to Sukhothai myself soon ( never been before ).

Do you have a name for the guest house, please?

Hello Viewer!

From memory ( which isn't good...) when you catch the bus to Sukhothai you have the option of the " old town " and the " new town " I think the historical park was in the old town and i stayed in the new town.The bus station was the " end of the line " and there were a few guest houses within a 2 minute stroll from the bus station I don't remember the name sorry.When travelling about on my train adventures nearly everywhere (apart from Hua Hin) you can find a clean basic rooms from 200 to 220 baht per night it seems to be the standard Thai rate.

Mr Jaideethumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Can you post some "day trips" leaving early 6-7-8am and getting back to BKK around 8pm ,

staying a few hours in a decent size town to check it out.....

and if there is a train station like Bang Sue that you can get close to by BTS -MRT ?

I would rather spend time looking at fields than the back of buildings crawling thru BKK

Hello viewer! How about Nakhon Pathom? 2 hours approx out of town.Most of the trains stop in Bang Sue or you have trains going places out of Wongwian Yai & Thonburi Railway Station ( Bangkok Noi ) Nakhon Pathom is a fab place! I will post some info and pics soon F.J

Think you are the first person in the world to describe Nakhon Pathom as "fab"

Probably the only train trip of note I took in last few years was the jungle line in Malaysia,think it maybe closed now. just over the border ,take train to Gervis(sp) then back up western route to Thailand. Third off if over 60 too in Malayasia

Buriram (Phanom Rung Historical Park) " All Aboard Viewers! "

Hello Viewers!

Well it's another day and time for another train adventure! are you ready viewers..? The end of last year i went to visit Buriram to explore the fabulous " Phanom Rung Historical Park ".........

I caught the 10.05 Express Train out of Bangkok's Hua Lampong station and as always stunning scenery for most of the journey especially the surrounding areas of Buriram. This little train journey takes 6 hours on the Express train and it's one of my favourites for the fab scenery! ( train cost 217 baht )

On My arrival at Buriram Railway Station I was " lynched " by a " vision of delight " ( a Thai lady ) my eyes were " locked on target like an F16 " as this lady then proceeded to offer " erotic dialogue " in my right ear.. I thanked the lady for her " kind offer " and continued on my journey......

A basic clean room in Buriram can be found from 200 baht per night but i found a " rather splendid " room in the " Thai Hotel " just a few minutes stroll opposite the Railway Station at 300 baht ( not cheap but excellent value for money! ) Usual Thai food available from just 30 baht and even a " farang bar & restaurant " in town if you wish!

The next day i caught the bus from the central Bus station and headed to Phanom Rung Historical Park ( motor bike taxi for the final 12 Km journey up the windy roads...) The Park was fabulous and well worth a visit as long as you don't mind climbing all the steps!

Having worked as a professional tour guide in Spain for quite a few years i think it's so much better to " do it alone " rather than a guided tour ( unless i am guiding of course viewers.....)

I shall be returning To Buriram soon as i really enjoyed my time there and lots of interesting places to visit by train just a few minutes down the track and all for about 3 baht ! I would recommend at least 3 days to get to see the sights.Maybe i shall return to see " my vision of delight " one day who knows..................

Farang Jaidee ( " On the tracks " ) wub.png

post-193254-0-89065600-1408934828_thumb.

post-193254-0-90393600-1408934892_thumb.

post-193254-0-38690300-1408934922_thumb.

post-193254-0-41329800-1408934956_thumb.

post-193254-0-16616500-1408934988_thumb.

post-193254-0-01870300-1408935031_thumb.

post-193254-0-86023300-1408935061_thumb.

post-193254-0-37455100-1408935092_thumb.

post-193254-0-17247800-1408935153_thumb.

post-193254-0-08334600-1408935187_thumb.

• Like 1