Wonder if present farang Issan residents are mostly city slickers

thehelmsman

Most are currency slickers after the financial meltdown there was a big surge of foreigners moving to isaan specially Brits who got 75 baht to the pound back in the day before the financial meltdown most hate living there.

im not in iaasan,

i live in the sakoew province, but i was from farm stock, my mum still has a 5 acre smallholding,

so me living in the village and starting a small pig farm was were i wanted to be,

now not just the pigs, but chickens, 3 typs of duck,fish, pigeons and even budgies,

but many will know i still go to work too, so i have the best of both worlds

Yes, I was a bit surprised at the nonsense of many of the answers on that thread. It sort of developed into a Thai bashing thread without coming out into the daylight as such. I should think that relatively few TV members actually live on a farm even in Isaan and that even fewer have a farming background.

post-77463-0-29774300-1408313122_thumb.j

I'm not in Issan but just a few kilometers away. The attachment is a picture of my new Limo that I bought in the US and had it dis-assembled, containerized and shipped here, all 117 parts. I just finished assembling it and it has started its job of harvesting corn. As far as cattle is concerned the Thais around me buy them,breed them, raise them and sell them the same way that we did in the US.. And the reason that they do it is for one, and only one reason, MONEY! They don't eat a lot of beef locally but they do raise and sell them.

I've lived all my life previously in cities..... but they come a lot slicker than I am. I've been a birder since I was 14, though, and was at boarding school in the countryside.

I've now lived in Isan for 6 years, and I love the space, the greenery, the smell of fresh rain (occasionally)... and, as auctioneers would say, the occasional waft of smoke from burning corpses does not detract. We have pigs, chickens, cattle, buffaloes, riceland and some fruit; I eat the fruit and the eggs, and leave the rest to those who know better. When I make the occasional trip back to Chiangmai, I feel like a country cousin, and that suits me fine. Bangkok? Not if I can help it.

• Like 1

been with animals all my life,city slicker? more like a valley's licker.

brought up in the mining valley's of wales,the land of sheep shaggers and that funny shaped ball.

greyhounds and horses were my life,with the occasional two legged dog thrown in.

that was till I came to LOS.

2yrs,in patts.3yrs in bkk, and now settled and loving every minute of my life in issan with my beloved and my wife.

as for farm animals,i love beef,pork,chicken and duck,and oh boy cant wait till someone farms some SHEEP.

T.I.T. TAFFY IN THAILAND.

Live in Isaan, which I love, but I don't farm, and unlike a lot don't invest, buy, lose,farm land. That being said, I grew up in rural California, both parents worked on farms in central valley. I however, did well in school went to college and after seeing how hard my parents worked, vowed it would be a cold day in hell before I took to farm labor.

I love to watch a farang working hard on 'his' rice farm....now where's my Gin & Tonic?

• Like 1

Most Farangs living in the sticks have "Family-Ties". That's nice.

Without this, on their own, they would cry out "what am I doing in such a place" and hop on the the next bus back to BKK.

The Farang developing into a Farmer is based on the thinking that the land that surrounds the big house must be put to good use to eventually bring back some of the capital outlays associated with the cost of the big house.

City slicker or not.

Farang will eventually realize that (unless on a very big scale), farming doesn't pay. Especially not in Thailand. This may be the reason that at least 1 family member works as a hotel-receptionist in Pattaya.

And that's the way it is and will not change in the near future. No offense.

Cheers

Without this, on their own, they would cry out "what am I doing in such a place" and hop on the the next bus back to BKK.

The Farang developing into a Farmer is based on the thinking that the land that surrounds the big house must be put to good use to eventually bring back some of the capital outlays associated with the cost of the big house.

City slicker or not.

Farang will eventually realize that (unless on a very big scale), farming doesn't pay. Especially not in Thailand. This may be the reason that at least 1 family member works as a hotel-receptionist in Pattaya.

Cheers

The village I'm in is typical I suppose, farming rice is primarily for food supply.

I'm not in Issan but just a few kilometers away. The attachment is a picture of my new Limo that I bought in the US and had it dis-assembled, containerized and shipped here, all 117 parts. I just finished assembling it and it has started its job of harvesting corn. As far as cattle is concerned the Thais around me buy them,breed them, raise them and sell them the same way that we did in the US.. And the reason that they do it is for one, and only one reason, MONEY! They don't eat a lot of beef locally but they do raise and sell them.

Very impressive to see this kind of machine in Thailand! Must have cost you quite a lot to buy it, have it dis-assembled, containerized, shipped, released from the customs in BKK and brought to where you use it. I ever visited the John Deer factory in Davenport back in 1975. I just wonder if it is worth your investment.

We bought a Thai Sengyont rice harvester 2 years ago and I must say it is really worth the investment. Where I live we can harvest twice a year.

Yes, I was a bit surprised at the nonsense of many of the answers on that thread. It sort of developed into a Thai bashing thread without coming out into the daylight as such. I should think that relatively few TV members actually live on a farm even in Isaan and that even fewer have a farming background.

Suppose if it wasn't for nonsense TV wouldn't be as entertaining to read.

Thai Visa should carry a disclaimer..'For Entertainment Purposes Only'

Very impressive to see this kind of machine in Thailand! Must have cost you quite a lot to buy it, have it dis-assembled, containerized, shipped, released from the customs in BKK and brought to where you use it. I ever visited the John Deer factory in Davenport back in 1975. I just wonder if it is worth your investment.

We bought a Thai Sengyont rice harvester 2 years ago and I must say it is really worth the investment. Where I live we can harvest twice a year.

Actually we have three combines, a JD4435 and a JD9500 both purchased complete here and the one pictured, a JD 6620. The markup on the combines purchased here is very high and the savings on the import was 40-50%. Unfortunately the 4435 is a maintenance nightmare and parts are expensive with long lead times. The 9500 is big and cannot be used in some areas due to limited access through small village roads. The 6620 is smaller and has been modified to have a narrow horizontal profile. We not only harvest our own crops but sell the service to other farmers. Will we ever recover our ROI? Probably not in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Suppose if it wasn't for nonsense TV wouldn't be as entertaining to read.

Thai Visa should carry a disclaimer..'For Entertainment Purposes Only'

Most of the remarks were predictable and not particularly funny.

• Like 1

I live in a small village in Isaan, Come from a small town in Somerset, land of Cider so am certainly not a City slicker, can't imagine many of them living here for any length of time, a couple I know in the surrounding area are very depressed & hate it. I like living in the sticks as more than a week or so in a large town or city depresses me, I like people in small manageable quantities not en masse....

• Like 2

I was raised on a farm, closest neighbour was almost 1km away, next closest we needed the binoculars to see their house on a far hillside.

Rural Isaan is urban compared to that lol, although I don't live on a farm here, or even in a village, we're in an Amphur as neither my wife or I are interested in personally farming.

I might finance and manage a farm at some point (if it looks like a profitable investment), but considering the cost of Thai labour compared to the cost of my labour, I see no reason at all for me to ever get my hands dirty lol.

Oh and I love living in Isaan, I'm in Bkk now doing some study but would love to be back in Isaan (which is my intention once I finish studying).

I only holiday in the village and live in a city in Australia, so from that pov, I get to about week 2, or day 10, and the cabin fever sets in. The neighbours love me cause,they make a small fortune from empty beer cans. I think I could live in a small city, but not fulltime in an Issan village. Suppose maybe it's my age, Im 39, I just get so damn bored, and it kind of ruins my holiday to be honest.

I respect the guys that live there. Having a nice house would help, and I think you would need a hobby or farm or whatever to keep sane. Learning the language would be very important also.

• Like 2

What Cattle Thread? I should go read the entertainment contained therein...

Wayned looks like he's got a good setup with some mechanized farming equipment.

I'm technically from the city now but I'm about as close to growing up on a farm as you could get without actually having grown up on a farm. I was raised in Small town Saskatchewan and my parents on both sides all farmed and raised cattle.

From what I saw on my visits the cattle were pretty substandard and need of something to raise the quality of the beef...

Country born and bred, raised on a 2000ha cattle/sheep farm with a bit of cropping. Nearest neighbour was about 7kms away. More then half my family are still farmers or involved in farming in Australia, my sister has a 22,000 ha farm that is mainly cropping.

My time is split between a farm in Isaan and a 300ha farm in Australia.

In Isaan I don't live in a village, but out on the farm, wouldn't live in a city or town if I had a choice.

• Like 1

I live on 5 rai here in Khonkaen in the village and the wife has around 100 rai farming land and has been a farmer for the last 12 years since her father died on the farm and took over the business, so the last few years i have been learning about farming and enjoying the freedom of having space to move and the land to do what i want on, i have spent the last year renovating the main old house on the farm and it is looking fantastic and will move in next week after living 1 year in a converted workers house.

Life is grand and only 20 ks into Khonkaen for all that we need and nights out with other farang's.

City slicker or not.

Cheers

On the question of scale, I have to agree with you. I have been around agriculture all my life and, size matters! What characterizes most isaan farms is they are small, and tend to be subsistence farming. Thats the real error many make. Wifey say's buy a few rai of rice paddy and we're in clover, so to speak, won't cut it. If as a farang 'if' you could but several hundred rai of land and farm commercially you might make it pay, but even then it tough.

It's part of that culture gap I think. For a Thai just being able to provide enough rice to sustain the family for a year, with a little cash left over is good enough, for a farang it's just not a profit generating business to sustain the lifestyle you probably want

• Like 1

I was raised on a small dairy and worked a large dairy thru high school. My lady has enough land to provide rice for eating for the year. Always a fresh pot of sticky rice everyday and a large cooker of steamed rice. She has more land she lets family farm for free. By the time you pay the labor to plant and harvest, there's no money.

• Like 1