How do you guys supplement your teacher's income while in Thailand?

benj005

We all know $35,000 baht just doesn't cut it anymore, and if you live in Bangkok you'll probably not be able to put any money away. How do you supplement your meager incomes so you can actually save and/or have some spending money?

I was thinking about teaching online. That looks promising. Maybe even doing privates. I did a few privates per week in South Korea and made some decent side money. I don't know what the rate is in Thailand. In Korea, I was charging $40 won an hour, which was equivalent to $41 USD.

Does anyone teach or tutor online? That looks like the best option, and something I'd be most interested in. Thanks.

Edited by benj005

Degree and experience get into a position at 50k or higher...those places that pay 35k are usually for non degree or non natives. In the meantime hit up corporate part time evening stuff

I was just offered a position for $32,000 baht a month teaching conversation to secondary students. Free condo included. It ends at the end of September. I don't know if this is a good thing.

I was just wondering if I could start online teaching or privates I could bring up the pay. Still deciding if I'm going to do it.

The thing is I have 2 years experience teaching in South Korea, and a teacher's license. Should I hold out or take the job?

Edited by benj005

^ teaching license from where?

New Jersey. Rowan University.

I can teach both special/regular education. I've been looking at international schools for a possible position. The thing is they don't count hagwon experience in Korea as teaching. I disagree but I can see why they don't. I was a teacher's aide for 3 years in NJ and that's not counted as well.

Edited by benj005

Well go for EP programs. If you can afford to wait a month or so then the new term starts end October .. there are plenty of 40-50k jobs on Ajarn.com

Is it difficult to find a job now?

With the visa crackdown I'm wondering if we will have our pick of schools. A lot of schools are afraid that there are going to be major shortages.

Thanks.

Degree and experience get into a position at 50k or higher...those places that pay 35k are usually for non degree or non natives. In the meantime hit up corporate part time evening stuff

Not in government schools, which is the vast majority of schools. 30k to 40k is normal in government schools for native English speakers with degrees and experience.

We can't all work in private schools.

• Like 1

To answer question in short yes. Build up contacts and you will get around 500 baht an hour for private lessons. Online work sucks and usually doesn't pay much more than local rates. 15-20 dollars an hour is the standard.

I am unclear of your credentials. You said that you have a teachers license but then you said from a University. Teacher's credentials are from state to state and have nothing to do with universities. As for your lack of experience, it is true unless you were a full time teacher in an accredited school in your home country or other international schools, you will not get positions that pay well. The other thing that you will run into soon is that your license most likely will expire in a few years. You will need to look at your states requirements to keep your license current. The good news is that you will get the Thai's teacher's license because of your qualifications.

35k baht is low but isn't poverty. Budget well, build up your resume and try to get better jobs. You might want to try China for lower tiered international schools and build up your credentials for a few years and try Thailand again. Or just take the average salary jobs here and grind away.

• Like 1

To answer question in short yes. Build up contacts and you will get around 500 baht an hour for private lessons. Online work sucks and usually doesn't pay much more than local rates. 15-20 dollars an hour is the standard.

I am unclear of your credentials. You said that you have a teachers license but then you said from a University. Teacher's credentials are from state to state and have nothing to do with universities. As for your lack of experience, it is true unless you were a full time teacher in an accredited school in your home country or other international schools, you will not get positions that pay well. The other thing that you will run into soon is that your license most likely will expire in a few years. You will need to look at your states requirements to keep your license current. The good news is that you will get the Thai's teacher's license because of your qualifications.

35k baht is low but isn't poverty. Budget well, build up your resume and try to get better jobs. You might want to try China for lower tiered international schools and build up your credentials for a few years and try Thailand again. Or just take the average salary jobs here and grind away.

$500 baht sounds decent. That's something that I'd like to look at in the near future.

I have a special education degree from Rowan University. Its located in NJ. I'm aware that different states have their own requirements. I graduated in 2005. I am the last class that has an actual special education degree. I'm grandfathered in. NJ did away with the separate special ed degree. Now, its offered as a supplement to a regular teaching degree. For instance, teachers can now get a degree in regular education while taking a years worth of special ed classes. That would make them dual certified which is highly recommend. In my case I have taken the Praxis general content knowledge test that is mandatory to teach in NJ. I am also dual certified. I can teach both regular and special education.

I've called the state on two separate occasions and asked if I needed to update my teachers degree. I got a no both times. They told me that I didn't need to do it. Regardless, this is something I still would like to do. I've been putting it off. I should at least take a few more Praxis tests.

If I need to start at the bottom I will do what I need to do. $35 baht might be fine for a place like Korat, but not for Bangkok. Do you agree?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by benj005

I feel like you are thinking in reverse. If you are working full time, and unable to support yourself, doesn't that necessarily mean that you are underpaid? Now you want to keep working even more just to keep up with the bills. It is time for a big change.

Hello Benj005. When I read your reference about Rowan University I couldn't help but reply. Not that I can give you any advice about your situation but I'm also a native of Philadelphia and a retired educator from Burlington County, NJ. Received a BA in Psychology from LaSalle University (College in those days). Couldn't do much with that degree so went on to Millersville University (then State College) in Pennsylvania, which was one of the very few that had degree programs for special education. Received my M.Ed. from Millersville and went on to teaching in several schools in Penna. and NJ before finally landing my job in Burlington County and continued in that school for 25 years. Did my Educational Administration certifications at Rowan (then Glassboro State). Retired as an Assistant Principle 6 years ago and moved to Thailand. I do volunteer teaching at the local Village school specifically the lower elementary grades.

My point being is that I am here on a very nice Pension and supplemented by SS. I have a very nice life here. My point is perhaps (don't know your age) you should consider going back to NJ and securing a position in Special ed. There has always been a demand for male spec. ed. teachers, at least when we were hiring, and the salaries range in the $40-$50,000 range for "starting" teachers. Visit Thailand on your summer breaks and eventually retire here when the time comes.

Just some thoughts for you.

Hello Benj005. When I read your reference about Rowan University I couldn't help but reply. Not that I can give you any advice about your situation but I'm also a native of Philadelphia and a retired educator from Burlington County, NJ. Received a BA in Psychology from LaSalle University (College in those days). Couldn't do much with that degree so went on to Millersville University (then State College) in Pennsylvania, which was one of the very few that had degree programs for special education. Received my M.Ed. from Millersville and went on to teaching in several schools in Penna. and NJ before finally landing my job in Burlington County and continued in that school for 25 years. Did my Educational Administration certifications at Rowan (then Glassboro State). Retired as an Assistant Principle 6 years ago and moved to Thailand. I do volunteer teaching at the local Village school specifically the lower elementary grades.

My point being is that I am here on a very nice Pension and supplemented by SS. I have a very nice life here. My point is perhaps (don't know your age) you should consider going back to NJ and securing a position in Special ed. There has always been a demand for male spec. ed. teachers, at least when we were hiring, and the salaries range in the $40-$50,000 range for "starting" teachers. Visit Thailand on your summer breaks and eventually retire here when the time comes.

Just some thoughts for you.

Thanks for the reply streetlite.

I will be 45 years old in a few weeks. I know the dangers of staying in a place like Thailand for too long. I don't want to be that guy who taught here for 20 years and has nothing to show for it. I understand the money stinks here unless you teach at the international schools.

I don't know if you keep up with the news in NJ. Chris Christie has been assaulting teacher pensions and the atmosphere is not that great. Another thing is the requirements to teach in NJ are getting steeper. I need to pass the praxis math/science or else most public schools will not hire me. I have the content knowledge under my belt. I just need this these 2 tests. I can do this in Thailand. They have testing centers right here in Bangkok.

I was just offered a position on an island. The curriculum is setup for me. Its teaching conversation to secondary students. The pay is only $32,000 baht. I also get a free condo which is amazing. They need me to leave today if I want the job. They had a teacher that left unexpectedly and need someone ASAP. I was thinking about taking this job and seeing how it goes. Maybe stay a year and then make NY way back to NJ to search for a possible teaching position. I was home this winter and got depressed. This is something I'd like to avoid.

I suggest you make a long term planning on what you want with your life and career.

Probably teaching at second rate schools on a lousy salary in a country that is far from famous for it's education system won't get your very far.

Go where you can make the best out of your credentials and don't get stuck in Thailand for the wrong reasons unless you are sure you want to take the consequences of going on here!

• Like 1

I feel like you are thinking in reverse. If you are working full time, and unable to support yourself, doesn't that necessarily mean that you are underpaid? Now you want to keep working even more just to keep up with the bills. It is time for a big change.

I'm afraid supplementing teaching salaries is a widespread response to inadequate teaching salaries. Don't get me started! When I started teaching I worked at convenient store, for H&R Block, etc. Well, don't want to dwell on that...now I am happy to be retired in Thailand (could not afford same level of living in U.S.).

I would say the longer you wait to actually work in your field of SPED, the possibilities of getting good paying jobs will become fewer and fewer. Getting solid references from people overseas can also be a problem. If you are looking ahead 20 years, investing in a Masters degree would be wise, would open up a lot of possibilities. Of course it all depends an what you truly want, how you want to live now and later on. If I needed to hire an online teacher for a college/university, I'd be looking at degrees accompanied with actual teaching experience and methods employed.

I would say the longer you wait to actually work in your field of SPED, the possibilities of getting good paying jobs will become fewer and fewer. Getting solid references from people overseas can also be a problem. If you are looking ahead 20 years, investing in a Masters degree would be wise, would open up a lot of possibilities. Of course it all depends an what you truly want, how you want to live now and later on. If I needed to hire an online teacher for a college/university, I'd be looking at degrees accompanied with actual teaching experience and methods employed.

Of course. I understand what you're saying. I would think that teaching overseas holds a lot of advantages for someone who wants to find a teaching position in the states. Especially if you're going to work with minorities. Also, living overseas says a lot about the person. It says that he/she can thrive anywhere. Most people have a difficult time living in new places for an extended period of time, let alone teaching and living in a foreign country. Edited by benj005

There should be a Teaching union to tackle this underpaying of Teachers in Thailand, my sister is in Kuwait teaching and she is getting a nice wage with a house and flights home paid for, I am not a teacher but I believe Thailand are taking advantage of teachers here, like not paying them for the summer holiday etc. <deleted> are you meant to do for money.

From what I have learned over the years here is that it has been 30,000 for over ten years but still Thailand seems to have no shortage of teachers.

30,000 is not enough to put up with working for Thais, add a zero and this is what they are paying other professions to work here.

• Like 1

There should be a Teaching union to tackle this underpaying of Teachers in Thailand, my sister is in Kuwait teaching and she is getting a nice wage with a house and flights home paid for, I am not a teacher but I believe Thailand are taking advantage of teachers here, like not paying them for the summer holiday etc. <deleted> are you meant to do for money.

From what I have learned over the years here is that it has been 30,000 for over ten years but still Thailand seems to have no shortage of teachers.

30,000 is not enough to put up with working for Thais, add a zero and this is what they are paying other professions to work here.

Those in power crack down on any union very quickly. Even if the word union gets uttered, people get fired. That does not mean they can't be formed, but they have fear on their side no doubt. In the history of almost every other country there is somebody who stands up and effectively fights though, for whatever reason I don't see that happening here. Education is a part of it too. The less educated the people are, the less likely they will be to rise up. Don't think the govt does not consider that.

Anyway, I totally agree with you, but I think the people putting up with these 30k baht salaries are just as much to blame however.

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 1

There should be a Teaching union to tackle this underpaying of Teachers in Thailand, my sister is in Kuwait teaching and she is getting a nice wage with a house and flights home paid for, I am not a teacher but I believe Thailand are taking advantage of teachers here, like not paying them for the summer holiday etc. are you meant to do for money.

Those in power crack down on any union very quickly. Even if the word union gets uttered, people get fired. That does not mean they can't be formed, but they have fear on their side no doubt. In the history of almost every other country there is somebody who stands up and effectively fights though, for whatever reason I don't see that happening here. Education is a part of it too. The less educated the people are, the less likely they will be to rise up. Don't think the govt does not consider that.

Anyway, I totally agree with you, but I think the people putting up with these 30k baht salaries are just as much to blame however.

Why are they to blame? Most are here as backpackers and need extra spending money. All they are doing is filling a position that needs to be filled. I blame the schools for doing shady deals.

I was just offered a position for $32,000 baht a month teaching conversation to secondary students. Free condo included. It ends at the end of September. I don't know if this is a good thing.

I was just wondering if I could start online teaching or privates I could bring up the pay. Still deciding if I'm going to do it.

The thing is I have 2 years experience teaching in South Korea, and a teacher's license. Should I hold out or take the job?

Do you speak Thai? If not HOW are you going to explain to the student what you are going to teach, they will not know what you are talking about!

Edited by Doc46