How do you guys supplement your teacher's income while in Thailand?

benj005

Degree and experience get into a position at 50k or higher...those places that pay 35k are usually for non degree or non natives. In the meantime hit up corporate part time evening stuff

I was just offered a position for $32,000 baht a month teaching conversation to secondary students. Free condo included. It ends at the end of September. I don't know if this is a good thing.

I was just wondering if I could start online teaching or privates I could bring up the pay. Still deciding if I'm going to do it.

The thing is I have 2 years experience teaching in South Korea, and a teacher's license. Should I hold out or take the job?

Do you speak Thai? If not HOW are you going to explain to the student what you are going to teach, they will not know what you are talking about!

You're a tosser. I've seen this same argument many times. Use of grammar-translation is so like, 200 years ago...get with it mate.

Edited by aarontendo

Degree and experience get into a position at 50k or higher...those places that pay 35k are usually for non degree or non natives. In the meantime hit up corporate part time evening stuff

I was just offered a position for $32,000 baht a month teaching conversation to secondary students. Free condo included. It ends at the end of September. I don't know if this is a good thing.

I was just wondering if I could start online teaching or privates I could bring up the pay. Still deciding if I'm going to do it.

The thing is I have 2 years experience teaching in South Korea, and a teacher's license. Should I hold out or take the job?

Do you speak Thai? If not HOW are you going to explain to the student what you are going to teach, they will not know what you are talking about!

Most EFL teaching jobs in Thailand prefer teachers who cannot speak Thai - it should be an "English only" environment.

If you are a REAL teacher (degree, teacher's certificate, etc.) then get to an international school. That is the ONLY way you will ever make a decent living. I've worked at both international schools and private Thai schools, the international schools will beat the Thai schools in every aspect hands down every time. The Thai school I worked at topped out at 55-60k baht, and they were most likely NOT to renew your contract as they can get two more entry level teachers for the same price. The Thai school schedule was inherently Thai - school got out for October break "plus or minus" five days from the supposed date, and this was strictly based on the mood of the director. At ANY international school, you know the starting dates, holiday dates, ending dates for at least the next five years out, and you set your watch to it.

If you are a REAL teacher (degree, teacher's certificate, etc.) then get to an international school. That is the ONLY way you will ever make a decent living. I've worked at both international schools and private Thai schools, the international schools will beat the Thai schools in every aspect hands down every time. The Thai school I worked at topped out at 55-60k baht, and they were most likely NOT to renew your contract as they can get two more entry level teachers for the same price. The Thai school schedule was inherently Thai - school got out for October break "plus or minus" five days from the supposed date, and this was strictly based on the mood of the director. At ANY international school, you know the starting dates, holiday dates, ending dates for at least the next five years out, and you set your watch to it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "real teacher", but teaching corporate/business classes and exam preparation (IELTS, TOEFL, GMAT, SAT. IGCSE etc.) can pay nicely. Most of the teachers I work with are earning more than 75,000 a month for around 25 hours teaching a week and charge 1,500/2,000 an hour for private classes. And there is no need for extra-curricular work, parents evenings and other "school" duties.

It's really a myth to say that only international school teachers are well paid.

Most EFL teaching jobs in Thailand prefer teachers who cannot speak Thai - it should be an "English only" environment.

Exactly. I've taught in South Korea and it was the same. They wanted an English only environment. It was the same in the public schools as well. The ESL teachers who taught the mexican students couldn't speak Spanish. It wasn't a requirement.

We all know $35,000 baht just doesn't cut it anymore, and if you live in Bangkok you'll probably not be able to put any money away. How do you supplement your meager incomes so you can actually save and/or have some spending money?

Saving is most of the time impossible on 35 K with a family and an "ordinary" life style.
I was thinking about teaching online. That looks promising. Maybe even doing privates. I did a few privates per week in South Korea and made some decent side money. I don't know what the rate is in Thailand. In Korea, I was charging $40 won an hour, which was equivalent to $41 USD.

The Internet is everywhere. Why couldn't you teach students from South Korea online from Thailand?

Does anyone teach or tutor online? That looks like the best option, and something I'd be most interested in. Thanks.

You've got to get in, before you get out. facepalm.gif

"Do you speak Thai? If not HOW are you going to explain to the student what you are going to teach, they will not know what you are talking about!"

I wish posters that weren't teachers would either do some research or just not blah blah blah unrelated garbage to the topic.

"Do you speak Thai? If not HOW are you going to explain to the student what you are going to teach, they will not know what you are talking about!"

I wish posters that weren't teachers would either do some research or just not blah blah blah unrelated garbage to the topic.

I think you'll find that teachers in Thailand understand that speaking Thai is absolutely not necessary when teaching English.

I run a pick-up a motorbike and a house in Bang Saray and 35,000 would be more than enough for me so I'm not sure where you get .........

"We all know 35k just doesn't cut it anymore" .

Could you have paid for the pickup, motorcycle and house on the 35k as well as live?

I suggest you make a long term planning on what you want with your life and career.

Probably teaching at second rate schools on a lousy salary in a country that is far from famous for it's education system won't get your very far.

Go where you can make the best out of your credentials and don't get stuck in Thailand for the wrong reasons unless you are sure you want to take the consequences of going on here!

God, I'm glad I didn't read a post like this before I came to Thailand, would have imagined it was the pits here. I would have deprived myself of the 12 best years of my life.

• Like 2

NOT TRUE.... it depends on the school and what they can get away with. I have been teaching in Thailand for 8 years. I started out at 25K cash under the table because the school was too cheap to get a work permit. 50K jobs are a rarity. I work in Pattaya and have been with the same company for 6 years now (Private Thai School) and only make 45... AND THEY PAY WELL FOR PATTAYA.

Edited by rmicheald

I run a pick-up a motorbike and a house in Bang Saray and 35,000 would be more than enough for me so I'm not sure where you get .........

Could you have paid for the pickup, motorcycle and house on the 35k as well as live?

No, I couldn't.....But seeing as I was making a new start in a new country I though it might be a good idea not to go empty handed, so I had enough to set me up with the above and buy one condo to rent out for an income. The OP was saying that 35,000 a month doesn't cut it for everyday expenses....As my condo is only occupied for about six months of the year my income works out at less that 35,000 a month.

PS. The OP is almost as old as I was when I came here so I assume that he might have the where-with-all (money and know how) to set himself up in a similar fashion...he should...because he has received a far better education that the one I got.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

NOT TRUE.... it depends on the school and what they can get away with. I have been teaching in Thailand for 8 years. I started out at 25K cash under the table because the school was too cheap to get a work permit. 50K jobs are a rarity. I work in Pattaya and have been with the same company for 6 years now (Private Thai School) and only make 45... AND THEY PAY WELL FOR PATTAYA.

Protip: If your school is working you illegally they don't give a damn about you having a degree or not.

Why in God's name you were working for 25k in the first place....that's the sort of behavior that only encourages these skinflint employers to keep wages low.

Yep pretty much this. Let me define what I mean when I say get by on 35k. Can you fly in and get started, run your life, and fly home again on that salary. I mean let's make an assumption that you come in with around 120,000 baht or so, enough to hold ya over a couple months while looking for work.

If one comes in and buys a condo or house, and a car or motorcycle then yes by all means 35k can cut it. After all, you pretty much pay utilities and food at that point don't you?

Protip: If your school is working you illegally they don't give a damn about you having a degree or not.

Why in God's name you were working for 25k in the first place....that's the sort of behavior that only encourages these skinflint employers to keep wages low.

It doesn't encourage them to keep wages low..... it literally keeps the wages low. Big difference. These places are making absurd amounts of money. Do you think wall street is going to close its doors because you wont accept a 40k salary. No, they will have to start paying more if nobody accepted it. But, people do accept it, so they keep paying it. Why wouldn't they? I would do the exact same thing if it were my business.

Every farang out there that takes a job for 30k shoves the proverbial dildo up the ass of others who want to legitimately work here long term. Look at it like this..... if I have a business, and a competitor is undercutting me..... well, I am not too worried, I know my expenses and I have priced myself accordingly to stay in business.

In Thailand all bets are off because you have a revolving door of the undercutters who can't make it. They make the impossible salaries "possible" by way of being able to high tail it out of here. That is exactly what is going on, and I wish people would understand it. When the people come in and say "30k is workable"..... well, that may be true until you run into a problem, which a long term person will, have a child, want a house...... pretty much ANYTHING. People, get over this thought that 30k is enough. It is not! It does not matter that your single ass is able to live for a few months off of this, it is not a sustainable salary. Not even close!

Edited by isawasnake
  • Like 2

Reason 30,000 is still standard salary (at least upcountry) is supply-and-demand. Simple, they can pay that and people bite. They couldn't get away with 10,000 (entry salary for Thai teachers, plus grey money) because there would be no biters, they don't have to pay 50,000 (standard salary in China) as they have plenty of biters have 30,000, no? It's a middle-class Thai salary.

And on supplementing teachers' income, apart from privates I am getting some good ideas off the site gradmoneymatters.com, geared towards recent grads but the information is applicable to all.

To answer the OP's question. It's sometimes really rough to live on 33 K with a family and a car. I'm doing some translations from English into German and Vice Versa from time to time to keep a sort of a balance.

Now I know how nice it was when I still had savings. Even a little problem with my car, etc, that cost more than 3 K gives me a big headache.

So, some seminars for Thai English teachers, English camps, etc are always a good way to "upgrade" the quality of life.

The first time that I brought my marriage ring to a prawn shop, as we needed money, when I changed jobs for visa, work permit and traveling to freaking Khurusapha.

Salary levels are based on the market, and what people are willing to accept.

35k is fine for most people, even with a family etc, and 25k would suit a single backpacker who isn't planning on staying at 25k all their life.

Teaching jobs, with their 16-24h weeks and excessive holidays/cancelled classes are extremely relaxed compared to jobs in farangland (although some schools make 40h weeks look attractive due to administration issues etc).

Teaching is a lifestyle job, a labour of love which pays the bills.

If you were in farangland with a family and a wife who doesn't work, would teaching do much more than just pay the bills?

If you had a wife who was also teaching, you'd have another 15k-50k per month (depending on their experience etc), so would probably be fine (particularly if they were on 15k, or less, they'd be early in their career so you'd be unlikely to have kids)

If you want to provide for a family on a single income you need money from elsewhere, and do more than just pay the bills, then you need to sacrifice some if that lifestyle via after school/weekend/holiday classes. That's what Thai teachers do to get ahead, and we're no different.

Private classes aren't difficult to find, especially if you can speak Thai, have a Thai wife or Thai friends/contacts. Even living in the countryside I've had lots of people interested (I always turned them down though as I didn't want to sacrifice my lifestyle).

All of this is actually part of the reason I'm staying in Thailand, rather than returning to NZ (which is what my wife wants). As returning to NZ we'd find it more difficult to raise a family on a single salary than what we would in Thailand (and teaching here is much more relaxing than 40h weeks + have good opportunities for extra income if I do special classes).

• Like 2

To answer the OP's question. It's sometimes really rough to live on 33 K with a family and a car. I'm doing some translations from English into German and Vice Versa from time to time to keep a sort of a balance.

Now I know how nice it was when I still had savings. Even a little problem with my car, etc, that cost more than 3 K gives me a big headache.

So, some seminars for Thai English teachers, English camps, etc are always a good way to "upgrade" the quality of life.

The first time that I brought my marriage ring to a prawn shop, as we needed money, when I changed jobs for visa, work permit and traveling to freaking Khurusapha.

Yeah fair enough, but this is sorta the point some people have made. On 33k a month what happens when something doesn't go as planned? The 33k budget starts to breakdown once an emergency comes up. I will say though also that if people are happy and living their life I certainly don't want to pass judgement on that...

Salary levels are based on the market, and what people are willing to accept.

35k is fine for most people, even with a family etc, and 25k would suit a single backpacker who isn't planning on staying at 25k all their life.

Teaching jobs, with their 16-24h weeks and excessive holidays/cancelled classes are extremely relaxed compared to jobs in farangland (although some schools make 40h weeks look attractive due to administration issues etc).

Teaching is a lifestyle job, a labour of love which pays the bills.

If you were in farangland with a family and a wife who doesn't work, would teaching do much more than just pay the bills?

If you had a wife who was also teaching, you'd have another 15k-50k per month (depending on their experience etc), so would probably be fine (particularly if they were on 15k, or less, they'd be early in their career so you'd be unlikely to have kids)

If you want to provide for a family on a single income you need money from elsewhere, and do more than just pay the bills, then you need to sacrifice some if that lifestyle via after school/weekend/holiday classes. That's what Thai teachers do to get ahead, and we're no different.

Private classes aren't difficult to find, especially if you can speak Thai, have a Thai wife or Thai friends/contacts. Even living in the countryside I've had lots of people interested (I always turned them down though as I didn't want to sacrifice my lifestyle).

All of this is actually part of the reason I'm staying in Thailand, rather than returning to NZ (which is what my wife wants). As returning to NZ we'd find it more difficult to raise a family on a single salary than what we would in Thailand (and teaching here is much more relaxing than 40h weeks + have good opportunities for extra income if I do special classes).

Eh fair enough, I've only been here a couple of years myself. I think theres a lot of truth here, but I think one has to consider if emergencies come up.

Additionally, and this a big one, but there's not much in the way of a pension or social security system here. This is all well and good, but even on my teaching salary I worry about what will happen in my older years.

I agree that teachign here is pretty low stress overall, and that's gotta be worth something. Also, agreed that back home a single income household would be difficult.

35,000 is plenty enough to live on n BKK as long as you don't stay in a 4 star hotel with several bar girls.

there should be even money left for a trip to Tahiti or Las Vegas twice a year whistling.gif

And replacing the BMW with the latest model every three years.

• Like 1

Yeah fair enough, but this is sorta the point some people have made. On 33k a month what happens when something doesn't go as planned? The 33k budget starts to breakdown once an emergency comes up. I will say though also that if people are happy and living their life I certainly don't want to pass judgement on that...

Life sometimes sucks and it's always something happening that surprises you, or call it an emergency.

I can only speak for myself, as I do have a caring wife, who always supports me, even staying 24/7 with me at a hospital after a motorcycle accident for quite a few weeks. Same goes for our 16 year old son.

We do care for each other, wouldn't I have such a nice family and friends here, I'd go back and do something to have a higher pension.

Then of course the right insurance, in my case the Thai social security, that already paid much more for me what i paid in for 10 years.

Our son, already 16 now is a great guy and when I see the whole picture, I can be happy to be where I am.

Shit does happen and that all the time. It's just the way how people deal with it.

Live and let die.-thumbsup.gif