Residence Certificate in Chiang Mai

lj cm

The new place to get it is opposite Promenada Shopping Center. It’s the old (long) building in the back. In the front is a new “Hug” building.

When you enter, go left to office no. 4 and in there, at the back, to the left, is a small desk, that is supposedly a special Falang service. Two young (civilian) people took care of the papers and I could get the Certificate the next day. I don’t know what it “officially” cost, because I had already included 500 Baht with my papers. They seemed happy about that.

I think you misunderstand the subject. You need a ‘Residence Certificate” when you buy a Motorbike, Car or in my case, renew a Driving Licence. You go to Immigration, fill out the Form and get it the next day. There is no such thing as a “grace period” on that one. Officially it’s free and I think I got it for free one or two times 20 years ago. Since then it’s been 100B, 200B and from last year 500B. No receipt!.

The certificate is free. If some immigration staff ask you 500bath, you shoul tell them you are very surprised about it "oh! What! It's not free?" and they will reconsider the price.

The more we pay for this certificate, the less it will be free of course...

Sent from my LG-P895 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Its 500 baht for next day service .If you have a week to 2 weeks grace ...... its free !

With a receipt? wink.png

A receipt when its free ? I only needed a residence certificate for my 5 year driving licence renewal so time was not important and I waited 15 days.It was ready on the day shown on the slip they gave me.

By being 3 days overdue for renewing my 5 years licence,not deliberate I was sick, I got 6 years not 5, its how their computer program is set up.

"grace" was a confusing term on my part,apologies.

The certificate is free. If some immigration staff ask you 500bath, you shoul tell them you are very surprised about it "oh! What! It's not free?" and they will reconsider the price.

Chok dee .......its 500 baht for next day.Free if you wait 10-15 days. Used to be free for next day but that finished weeks/months ago.

More probably you'll reconsider the length of time you're prepared to wait for it!

I think you misunderstand the subject. You need a Residence Certificate when you buy a Motorbike, Car or in my case, renew a Driving Licence. You go to Immigration, fill out the Form and get it the next day. There is no such thing as a grace period on that one. Officially its free and I think I got it for free one or two times 20 years ago. Since then its been 100B, 200B and from last year 500B. No receipt!.

Never paid for one in nearly 30 years, and no reason why I should start giving them money now. It's always been free.

p.s. your type face is ofensive to the eyes!

What documents do I need to bring to obtain this? I have a tourist visa and am renting a condo for 4 months.

You need the application form, one picture and copy of passport picture page, visa and TM card. Furthermore copy of your renting contract.

But you can not get it on a tourist visa. What do you need it for?; because you can also not buy a motorbike or car (or get a driving license) on a tourist visa.

I think you misunderstand the subject. You need a Residence Certificate when you buy a Motorbike, Car or in my case, renew a Driving Licence. You go to Immigration, fill out the Form and get it the next day. There is no such thing as a grace period on that one. Officially its free and I think I got it for free one or two times 20 years ago. Since then its been 100B, 200B and from last year 500B. No receipt!.

Never paid for one in nearly 30 years, and no reason why I should start giving them money now. It's always been free.

Cranky old goat. haha

Cranky old goat. haha

How long have you known me? Do you really think I will change ? :):P

What documents do I need to bring to obtain this? I have a tourist visa and am renting a condo for 4 months.

You need the application form, one picture and copy of passport picture page, visa and TM card. Furthermore copy of your renting contract.

But you can not get it on a tourist visa. What do you need it for?; because you can also not buy a motorbike or car (or get a driving license) on a tourist visa.

Thanks - was hoping to get a driving licence in Chiang Mai. I have heard mixed reports of whether or not this was possible on a tourist visa and was planning on giving it a try to see what happens...

5 hundred baht is very reasonable to pay, a while back they stopped preforming this service and you had to go to your consulate cost 50dollars at the US consulate. Nice drive for those without a consulate service

5 hundred baht is very reasonable to pay, a while back they stopped preforming this service and you had to go to your consulate cost 50dollars at the US consulate. Nice drive for those without a consulate service

Really ! when? I can never remember the subject of non availability of residence letters coming up on this forum. Most countries don't have a consulate here as you know, would have to go to Bangkok.

Really ! when? I can never remember the subject of non availability of residence letters coming up on this forum. Most countries don't have a consulate here as you know, would have to go to Bangkok.

This is just one of the few threads that ran about this: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632161-residence-certificate-cm-immigration-will-not-issue/page-1

Absolutely correct. The important thing is to know, you can get it and where to get it. That's why I wrote the post.

If you get it for free, good for you; but it doesn't really matter, if you have to pay 100-500 Baht.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a new motorcycle and the dealer asked for the Cert of Res... I said OK, I'll go get one.

I went today.... they happily asked if I wanted to come pick up tomorrow, I said yes, ok 500 baht they said. My friend stepped in and said she called Bkk immigration and was told free... ok, go to window 3...
Window 3 guy hands me a little paper....come back Oct 24.....30 days....55555

I'll have my friend call in 2 weeks and see if it's ready. I think they are punishing me for what she said....55555.

Hope the police don't try to jam me up.. I'll show them the receipt for the bike and the receipt for immigration.

What else can I do?

I just don't see the need for this document. Have a retirement visa, 5 year DL, 1 year lease, ... very same documents immigration asks for... why won't transport office accept?...

^^^^the 500 baht is for express preminium servicesmile.png

in your case and many others its very wise to cough up,or pay the consenquences

really you have just purchased a motor bike, whats another 500 baht to get on with your life, u want to buck the system here ,go ahead

u will run a long last, every time,make no mistake about that

^^^^the 500 baht is for express preminium servicesmile.png

in your case and many others its very wise to cough up,or pay the consenquences

really you have just purchased a motor bike, whats another 500 baht to get on with your life, u want to buck the system here ,go ahead

u will run a long last, every time,make no mistake about that

Up to you what you do. I don't subscribe to your weakness. Nothing "wise" about it.

The reason so many corrupt people get away with what they do is because of people giving in... giving your lunch money to the bully.

I'll let my friend enjoy the fight. I don't really care if I get it tomorrow or next year.... I have submitted my documents and it's up to immigration. either way, I'll get my document... I have no emotion in the game.

OMG! The carping from foreigners that goes on!

There is absolutely no argument that the bureaucratic process of getting a residence certificate is a pain in the after- regions of the body.

One can argue about the pains of bureaucratic process anywhere until the cows come home, but in this case the process is really pretty straight forward. And, if you have traveled the world at all beyond casual tourism --- and it seems many malcontents who have posted here have not --- then you will realize that bureaucratic excess is endemic worldwide, and particularly in less economically-developed countries of the world.

So many people seem appalled about trivial personal inconvenience. Regarding the 500 bhat for the convenience of speeding a transaction (it is not a bribe or money under the table; it is a service), it is piddling small change in the passage of life.

There are important things to be concerned about, not this matter!

There is absolutely no argument that the bureaucratic process of getting a residence certificate is a pain in the after- regions of the body.

One can argue about the pains of bureaucratic process anywhere until the cows come home, but in this case the process is really pretty straight forward. And, if you have traveled the world at all beyond casual tourism --- and it seems many malcontents who have posted here have not --- then you will realize that bureaucratic excess is endemic worldwide, and particularly in less economically-developed countries of the world.

So many people seem appalled about trivial personal inconvenience. Regarding the 500 bhat for the convenience of speeding a transaction (it is not a bribe or money under the table; it is a service), it is piddling small change in the passage of life.

Very true and very well put but ...... you're forgetting one thing. TITV.

Very true and very well put but ...... you're forgetting one thing. TITV.

"TITV" ? The "V" means "very?" I understand what you mean, but, no, this is not at all a "TIT" characteristic in my experience. I am not making apologies for bureaucratic confusion. It is a reality experienced in poor countries generally and still in more advantaged countries. There are a number of root causes. If anything, from personal experience, the Thai approach to problems (from bureaucrats) is remarkably considerate.

This is certainly not true in all cases. There is venality in this world (as in all worlds), but when push comes to shove, if you wish to define the "Thai cultural approach" to many sorts of problems is very helpful with no envelopes passed under the table.

I really sometimes wonder where people who carp on this Chiang Mai forum (and there are so many) come from. Most often I think they bring certain attitudes with them, personal prediclections not cultural bias per se, theirtheir own personal dissatisfactions with life. If you are at all empathetic or experienced in any other culture than your "root" culture, then you should come to appreciate more where you are. If you have difficulty, you are free to move on.

Some people feel the need to crow...without knowing a thing about the the other roosters. The self appointed ambassadors who hijack a thread with "feel free to move on" if you don't follow my way of thinking.

One thing those people haven't learned in their worldly travels is how to accept their own unhappiness and don't dump on others.

ANYWAY

As I've said, up to you how you handle the profiteering... I have nothing but time and would rather spend the 500 baht on something other than giving the dog a bone.

Either charge for the thing or not, I'll pay the required fee, but I won't pay for a service if I don't need it.

Archived