Thai-Burma Fishing

martabak

I'd like to check out some fly fishing in the Thai-Myanmar border, then head straight into Myanmar - what are my options, and is Western Thailand still dangerous? Does anyone have any experience fly fishing in Thailand or Myanmar?

Edit: I'm totally prepared to be ridiculed :)

Edited by martabak
  • Like 1

That...is a very interesting question!

To be honest I have no idea about fly fishing around here, but would be interested in finding out too.

Do you mean fly fishing in the rivers, or in the sea around the islands?

I'll try to get your question added to the next newsletter to see if we can get more replies.

Don't think links are allowed on here, search "Bangkok Fishing Guide" or "bkkfishingguide" a local chap who goes by the name of Tap does private and group tours. Reasonable costs and friendly guy. The guy is fluent in English and Thai. He does all types of fishing tours to all parts of Thailand, has trip reports on the website. Also updates his facebook page pretty regularly with his clients trips and even makes a snazzy video for clients. Used his service and had a great day.

Fly fishing has been exploding in popularity there, you could even do fly fishing at local ponds for amazonian fish or other large fresh water species. Lure fishing is also exciting at local ponds for barramundi / snakehead if you are into that style of fishing.

There are a handful of other guides out there, some are guided by foreigners hence a higher price tag. I think its better to stick with locals since they know the area better, can communicate better both ways, and also uses their own cars for pick up instead of taxis or rental cars which an jack up the price and waste time.

• Like 2

Thanks! It would be river fishing for Mahseer, later in the year. If you know of any guides who speak English, French, or BI, I'd be keen to get in touch!

I've heard that there is some fishing for Golden Mahseer near Mae Sariang. I've also heard that the size is disappointing. Just hearsay and no real details, unfortunately.

Thanks! It would be river fishing for Mahseer, later in the year. If you know of any guides who speak English, French, or BI, I'd be keen to get in touch!

I've heard that there is some fishing for Golden Mahseer near Mae Sariang. I've also heard that the size is disappointing. Just hearsay and no real details, unfortunately.

you are correct, size would be disappointing for places that are easy to reach. I've seen some fishing pics on thai fishing forums, it looked like they travel very deep into the forest, there are some decent size Mahseer at hard to reach places.

I for one certainly hope you're not ridiculed.....& if you are, it would be most likely by people who don't understand the attraction of fly fishing. I'd really like to catch a mahseer....

I travel all over the world, from Thailand, to fly fish in other countries - mostly saltwater these days, but fresh as well from time to time. I'd be really interested to hear what you find out, & what sort of experiences you have. So far, in the 7 years I've lived here, I haven't even tried casting a fly in Thailand.

Good luck

• Like 1

There won't be any ridicule in this topic if I have anything to say :D

I used to live in a very small 'village' in Tasmania for a while, and my home was on the Tyenna River. It is one of the best trout fishing rivers in Australia, and it was always great chatting with the fly fisherfolk who came from afar to try their luck (skills!)

I was also a big fan of the old series "A River Somewhere", which showed 2 Australian TV chaps travelling around the world to some very far flung locations in search of good fly fishing.

Thanks for the advice everyone - I'll keep you informed if I work something out. Mike - I'll get in contact with the Bangkok guy - cheers!

My reference to ridicule wasn't regarding fly fishing - I have little to no knowledge about Myanmar, nor any part of Asia north of Singapore (I do however know Indonesia very well), so was concerned that my plot to fish in the rivers of a somewhat 'new' and de-militarised country would be seen as foolish (pollution/safety reason, or attract unwanted attention).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

martabak, if you are interested in brown trout consider Pahalgam, Kashmir.

I left there yesterday and this year was a bust due to worst floods in 22 years but have fished there each of the past 5 years and the area is extremely scenic with plenty of pan sized browns about. The biggest fish are 3 hours out of town and require a tented overnight buf have that planned for next May. Himachal Pradesh also has plenty of fly fishing options including mahseer.

Best of luck in Burma.

If it Mahseer you are after then go to India. You may need some salt water fly rods as they grow to quite a size.

Google it, Jim Corbett reserve or Himalaya's are your best bet, but it does not come cheap.

For the big guys you will need VERY substantial gear