Language schools suffering: Thailand

webfact

Language schools suffering

photo-1-300x225.jpg

PATTAYA: -- It has become evident that the present official campaign to stamp out visa abuse, as perceived by the authorities, is serious and likely to be sustained.

It is no longer possible for foreigners to travel to the border to obtain a back-to-back 30-day visa exemption and a similar crackdown at Thai airports has already started. Basically this means that those aliens entering the country with a 30-day visa can extend their stamp for seven days at a Thai Immigration office but must then leave the country. If they wish to return quickly, they would need to obtain a 60- or 90-day visa at a Thai embassy or consulate.

Many foreigners attempting to live in Thailand by renewing 30-day stamps on visa runs are thought to be working illegally, i.e., without a work permit. These include teachers in private language schools which claim that the costs of obtaining the paperwork are higher and that some teachers quit anyway in a high turnover profession.

Pattaya Today spoke to four qualified English language teachers, three members of a band and two diving instructors, all of whom said they must return to their home countries. They said they would be unlikely to obtain visas at a Thai embassy abroad as they had so many visa exemption stamps and renewals at land borders.

The process of acquiring a work permit is laborious and requires a non immigrant “B” visa to start the process. Employers, such as language schools, say the documentation and costs are very high.

A permit, issued by the Ministry of Labour, can take up to three months to issue and the employer becomes responsible for paying income tax on the salary. The minimum, taxable monthly salary for most nationalities is 50,000 baht. A spokesman for the Chonburi Department of Employment said that some foreigners seemed to think the issuing of work permits was as routine as giving a driving license, but this was far from being the case. She added that, as regards teachers, many of them did not intend to remain in Thailand for a long time which complicated the issue.

There are 40,000 schools nationwide which are obliged to teach English through native speakers and many are facing dire problems. [read more...]

Full story: http://pattayatoday.net/news/latest-edition/language-schools-suffering/

-- PATTAYA TODAY 2014-08-19

• Like 2

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awful. Why is it so difficult to get a working visa in Thailand? Thailand needs to follow in South Koreas footsteps. All of the paperwork is done while the prospective teacher is in his/her home country. Before I taught in SK I needed my bachelors degree notarized and apostilled. The same with my FBI check. Included was my sealed transcript. Once done I sent the items to my recruiter who then secured my working visa for the year. The process took 3 months mainly because of the FBI check.

Why can't Thailand implement something similar?

it's not getting the work permit that's difficult, it's the reluctance to pay tax (and thus declare) foreign workers:

"A permit, issued by the Ministry of Labour, can take up to three months to issue and the employer becomes responsible for paying income tax on the salary. The minimum, taxable monthly salary for most nationalities is 50,000 baht."

Edited by ColdSingha

Good because these <deleted> language schools try to pay part-time teachers 300 baht an hour. Glad to see them hurting...

$10 US an hour with no taxes for unskilled labor in Thailand seems rather generous to me.

Making a lot of assumptions that the only work is the direct teaching. There's always prep of some kind unless this is a joker who is just playing movies in his class. Mind you, that's highly likely in Thailand.

• Like 2

Good because these <deleted> language schools try to pay part-time teachers 300 baht an hour. Glad to see them hurting...

$10 US an hour with no taxes for unskilled labor in Thailand seems rather generous to me.

Making a lot of assumptions that the only work is the direct teaching. There's always prep of some kind unless this is a joker who is just playing movies in his class. Mind you, that's highly likely in Thailand.

Trust me, qualified Western educators in Thailand pull down considerably more than 300 baht an hour.

Trust me, qualified Western educators in Thailand pull down considerably more than 300 baht an hour.

Qualified western educators don't work for hourly wages so you got me there.

The 50,000 Baht per month is a requirement for a 1-year extension but not for a work permit. Guess the key problem is the lack of a bachelors degree, maybe the lack of a clean police record in a few cases...

I got a police check before I left the US. Never asked for it or needed to show it and I worked legally with a work permit.

• Like 1

Pattaya Today spoke to four qualified English language teachers, three members of a band and two diving instructors, all of whom said they must return to their home countries. They said they would be unlikely to obtain visas at a Thai embassy abroad as they had so many visa exemption stamps and renewals at land borders.

I almost peed my pants when i read that. three members of a band and two diving instructors make FIVE qualified what?

So they only spoke to four of them, maybe number five was deaf and blind? "Qualified teachers"......

Better go back and reread that sentence. They spoke to 9 people all together.

You're a product of the solid gold western education system, I assume?

'nuff said

~

• Like 2

Allow native speaker retirees the right to work part time as teachers, put some of the tax towards claimed medical shortfalls....

None immigrant visitors on a retirement extension are retired and should not work or collect money locally during their stay in the Kingdom.

I know of people that are on retirement extensions and they teach English for free at their village home.

In regards of medical shortfalls, it is time that all visitors on a none immigrant visa must show proper medical/health insurance when applying for an extension of stay.

• Like 1

Allow native speaker retirees the right to work part time as teachers, put some of the tax towards claimed medical shortfalls....

None immigrant visitors on a retirement extension are retired and should not work or collect money locally during their stay in the Kingdom.

I know of people that are on retirement extensions and they teach English for free at their village home.

In regards of medical shortfalls, it is time that all visitors on a none immigrant visa must show proper medical/health insurance when applying for an extension of stay.

The vast pool of talent present in "retired" people is wasted here, restricting their participation benefits few if any local people.

I almost peed my pants when i read that. three members of a band and two diving instructors make FIVE qualified what?

So they only spoke to four of them, maybe number five was deaf and blind? "Qualified teachers"......

Better go back and reread that sentence. They spoke to 9 people all together.

You're a product of the solid gold western education system, I assume?

'nuff said

~

My apologies.

• Like 1

The vast pool of talent present in "retired" people is wasted here, restricting their participation benefits few if any local people.

You are joking of course... most genuine retirees would have no interest at all in being teachers.

By definition if they are a teacher then they are not a retiree.

This sort of blanket statement is what leads people to 'try' for a teaching job here.

You should be aware that salaries are very much dependent upon a wide variety of factors, not just being a 'qualified Western educator'.

Some school pays at first as low as 30,000B per month, others start higher.

Don't let's propagate the idea that even a proper British qualified teacher can earn a fortune and encourage the unfortunates to come too.

• Like 2

You are joking of course... most genuine retirees would have no interest at all in being teachers.

By definition if they are a teacher then they are not a retiree.

They are retired from their previous career!

• Like 1

"The minimum, taxable monthly salary for most nationalities is 50,000 baht." What about changing these silly draconian laws, and actually adapt the tax to the real salary, and not on one based on race or nationality.

Time to wake up and step in to the 21st century. Give residency and work permit to those married to a Thai national, ease up burocracy for work permits....wishful thinking probably.

Thai laws are made on another planet far from reality, no wonder so many break the law.

For teachers there is no minimum salary .. strange. Considering they want teachers with Bachelors in education or a standard degree and a Masters in education!

No compassion towards these language schools at all. First if most regular schools would finally hire a 'farang' to give at least one hour of conversation class to each class there would be no need to have these shaddy language schools. Second pay the teachers a good salary and do the paperwork. The language schools who employ farang without proper papers should as severly punished as are the farang.

Another loophole/ ilegal activity problem sorted, and some moan, i wonder why

No compassion towards these language schools at all. First if most regular schools would finally hire a 'farang' to give at least one hour of conversation class to each class there would be no need to have these shaddy language schools. Second pay the teachers a good salary and do the paperwork. The language schools who employ farang without proper papers should as severly punished as are the farang.

I feel a better headline would be,

Schools who have neglected to, or couldn't be bothered to, get proper paper-work for teachers are now having problems.

• Like 2

I was offered 230 thb per hour to teach SAT Math. I seriously doubt they would have gotten me the paperwork. No need to jeopardize a perfectly good O-A. Plenty of takers, though. It is necessary to eliminate the illegals. Unfortunately, it may have to get worse (for the students) before it gets better. I would not object to proving my health insurance at all, and I know a lot of the retirees lie through their teeth about the 65000 per month.....often more like 6500. So, yeah, immigration wonders why these people can't pay their medical bills. Selfish as can be. Some were likely in Pattaya bars for 10 years straight, without missing a night (or morning). If they had put aside 100 thb every time they went to a bar......and now carried a high deductible...they could practically pay their premiums with the interest. Health care is so much cheaper here than the US; yet many of the expats refuse to pay their fair share, but instead rely on "help me" pages on Facebook, when they do a drunken motorcycle crash.