Language schools suffering: Thailand

webfact

30,000 a low wage?????? Its twice what a thai nurse would earn!!

Really!! Maybe twice what a nurse starting out but after 5 years, not so much. After 10 presuming advancement about the same. And considering no access to easy loans like a Thai nurse or teacher etc then for a foreigner it is low. For a Thai it's ok. You would surprised how many Thais earn 30k plus.

You would be surprised how much Thai farmers make. Father and mother in law are farmers.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good because these <deleted> language schools try to pay part-time teachers 300 baht an hour. Glad to see them hurting...

They dont try to..they DO only pay this and keep getting away with it to because the desperado farang keeps accepting it

Unskilled Thai. 300 baht per day minimum wage for working 10+ hours in the heat.

Unskilled Farang. 300 baht per hour, for speaking for 60 minutes.

Could be worse.

and the thai who run the agency charge the school 1000 bht per hour for the farang and then give farang 300 and put in pocket 700 and sit in aircon and doing nothing. Also farang takes risk of getting caught

this is why the farang who know are angry but silly for you if you do it

You truly deserve your username.

30,000 a low wage?????? Its twice what a thai nurse would earn!!

Really!! Maybe twice what a nurse starting out but after 5 years, not so much. After 10 presuming advancement about the same. And considering no access to easy loans like a Thai nurse or teacher etc then for a foreigner it is low. For a Thai it's ok. You would surprised how many Thais earn 30k plus.

You would be surprised how much Thai farmers make. Father and mother in law are farmers.

Land/plantation owning farmers, or general farm hand farmers working other people's land?

Quite a difference.

Good because these <deleted> language schools try to pay part-time teachers 300 baht an hour. Glad to see them hurting...

there are people in the USA that dont even make that much!

What about all these guys making $ 5 an hour at Mac Donald's and other places?

And those who're doing three jobs to survive? Then those who do have enough money, but are not happy in their country?

And the job-and homeless people...........facepalm.gif

Dont understand what your getting at. are you agreeing with me? I said there are people in the USA that don't even make $10 an hour and this guy is complaining that is not enough money here in Thailand where cost of living is much less than the US.

there are people in the USA that dont even make that much!

What about all these guys making $ 5 an hour at Mac Donald's and other places?

And those who're doing three jobs to survive? Then those who do have enough money, but are not happy in their country?

And the job-and homeless people...........facepalm.gif

Dont understand what your getting at. are you agreeing with me? I said there are people in the USA that don't even make $10 an hour and this guy is complaining that is not enough money here in Thailand where cost of living is much less than the US.

What a question....of course do I agree with you. Those Americans working at fast food chains making nasty food and nasty money, while people here complain about 300 baht ( 10 bucks an hour) wouldn't be enough.

&lt;deleted&gt; is wrong with this world?

• Like 2

The headline should be

Mostly illegal language schools are suffering now, as they can't get enough tourists who extend their stay because of that.

And I've seen quite a few of them. Language schools and people working for them. Holy buffalo shit.

The headline should be

Mostly illegal language schools are suffering now, as they can't get enough tourists who extend their stay because of that.

And I've seen quite a few of them. Language schools and people working for them. Holy buffalo shit.

the point i make is not that 300 per hour is not enough,my point about agency

what if in your own country?? What you call an agent who took 70 percent of your continueing wage as comission,pay no tax and break the law by not providing work permit and he himself face no risk because the farang that is being shafted is the one who gets in trouble by authorities?

Maybe your name quite fitting also Lost in Isaan a little to long?

The vast pool of talent present in "retired" people is wasted here, restricting their participation benefits few if any local people.

You are joking of course... most genuine retirees would have no interest at all in being teachers.

By definition if they are a teacher then they are not a retiree.

People with the correct qualification who are retired or working in another profession should be free to volunteer

Currently they criminalise themselves by volunteering which is absurd.

Good because these language schools try to pay part-time teachers 300 baht an hour. Glad to see them hurting...

They dont try to..they DO only pay this and keep getting away with it to because the desperado farang keeps accepting it

Unskilled Thai. 300 baht per day minimum wage for working 10+ hours in the heat.

Unskilled Farang. 300 baht per hour, for speaking for 60 minutes.

Could be worse.

and the thai who run the agency charge the school 1000 bht per hour for the farang and then give farang 300 and put in pocket 700 and sit in aircon and doing nothing. Also farang takes risk of getting caught

this is why the farang who know are angry but silly for you if you do it

So the agency have no overheads, rent,electricity, staff wages etc?

You will find the core business already pays the bills, from the owner and thai staff who teach students English by not even speaking one word of it and then charging 1000 baht per hour

then exploiting

The headline should be

what if in your own country?? What you call an agent who took 70 percent of your continueing wage as comission,pay no tax and break the law by not providing work permit and he himself face no risk because the farang that is being shafted is the one who gets in trouble by authorities?

Even language schools in Europe find ways not to pay taxes, almost everybody in my family back in Europe made taxes for big companies, never wanted to walk in those shoes.

Let's take Germany as an example. There're also agents who take money to get somebody a job. Is that a bad deal, when you're oaky with what they pay you?

Too many unqualified farang were and still are working here at language,, or other schools.

I see your last sentence as a compliment. Better lost in Isaan for 12 years than calling myself Dingdong tourist,, or Pee Baah. Auf Wienerschnitzel. -facepalm.gif

Allow native speaker retirees the right to work part time as teachers, put some of the tax towards claimed medical shortfalls....

None immigrant visitors on a retirement extension are retired and should not work or collect money locally during their stay in the Kingdom.

I know of people that are on retirement extensions and they teach English for free at their village home.

In regards of medical shortfalls, it is time that all visitors on a none immigrant visa must show proper medical/health insurance when applying for an extension of stay.

Why is it any of your business if people on a retirement visa have medical insurance or not?

Do you even consider that some people can't get insurance? Should they leave friends and family and go.......where?

Please think before writing such gibberish!

• Like 1

Allow native speaker retirees the right to work part time as teachers, put some of the tax towards claimed medical shortfalls....

None immigrant visitors on a retirement extension are retired and should not work or collect money locally during their stay in the Kingdom.

I know of people that are on retirement extensions and they teach English for free at their village home.

In regards of medical shortfalls, it is time that all visitors on a none immigrant visa must show proper medical/health insurance when applying for an extension of stay.

Why is it any of your business if people on a retirement visa have medical insurance or not?

Do you even consider that some people can't get insurance? Should they leave friends and family and go.......where?

The Op was damn right that all foreigners should have an insurance in Thailand. Of course can't you get into an insurance, when you wait too long.

I've helped quite a few very sick foreigners, who had no insurance and had to go through hell to get things sorted out, without going into details now.

You should have known that you're getting older. Should they leave family and friends? No, but they should use their brain that people usually get sick when older.

Sorry, as I know that it's completely off topic now. My apologies.

The headline should be

Well holy smoke, now I get it. You shouldn't be an unqualified English teacher here, you need to open a language school!

All figured out, guess you made the wrong career move or something. You need to correct that pronto.

The Op was damn right that all foreigners should have an insurance in Thailand. Of course can't you get into an insurance, when you wait too long.

I've helped quite a few very sick foreigners, who had no insurance and had to go through hell to get things sorted out, without going into details now.

You should have known that you're getting older. Should they leave family and friends? No, but they should use their brain that people usually get sick when older.

Easy to say, but what if one year you were refused insurance!

If the Thai government would at least offer a basic plan, maybe that would help.

If the Thai hospitals did not charge so much more for foreigners than nationals, then maybe insurance would be easier to buy.

Nothing to do with age also in some cases.

Nothing to do with the use of the brain also!

It is a fact some people can't get cover or afford the sometimes ridiculous costs.

In the article in Pattaya Post, I found this:

An allied problem, according to the Immigration Bureau, is that some foreigners trying to live in Thailand do not have sufficient funds for their stay. The current crackdown is designed to weed them out as well. Lack of funds causes some aliens to be a burden on the Thai health service. Research has suggested that nonpaying foreigners may be costing the country 100 million baht a year.

How can foreigners cost anything, when guarantee for payment is required upfront in all hospitals, EVEN if you are on the brink of dying? I was run down on my bike and hurt seriously and the ICU plus the hospital which did the surgery on me both required proof of my insurance before they did ANYTHING!

Mai Koh Chai????

But Thai law requires both private and public hospitals to supply emergency care to migrant laborers, and the Thai gov picks up the bill. Go figure, huh?

Insurance?

Sorry to go off topic, wasn't 500 baht added into every international ticket flying into Thailand around 2 yrs ago? with the excuse being that too many foreigners were requiring medical care and not paying, so with xx million visitors every year they added 500 baht on to all the tickets. Not the same the 500b departure tax added into the ticket price around 10 years (previously it had to be paid in cash at the airport).

Insurance?

Sorry to go off topic, wasn't 500 baht added into every international ticket flying into Thailand around 2 yrs ago? with the excuse being that too many foreigners were requiring medical care and not paying, so with xx million visitors every year they added 500 baht on to all the tickets. Not the same the 500b departure tax added into the ticket price around 10 years (previously it had to be paid in cash at the airport).

No it was not added. It was talked about but never done. dont think it was 2 years ago this was discussed I believe about 1 year ago.

As for the airport tax that was added to your ticket so you didnt have to pay on your way out. So nothing really changed and actually made it

easier for the traveler. However if i recall correctly it did increase from 200B to 500B cant recall if the increase was before it was added to the ticket price or not.

I actually liked the change as it was pain to always remember to have cash with you when leaving.

As for paying the hospital i know two guys that had surgeries at Bangkok Christian hospital and they were both setup with a payment

plan. They both had work permits and been living in Thailand for a few years so maybe if you have a work permit they allow payments. Not sure as i never asked details but i do know for a fact that they did not pay in full and had payment plans. so easy for them to leave and the hospital to get stiffed.

The 50,000 Baht per month is a requirement for a 1-year extension but not for a work permit. Guess the key problem is the lack of a bachelors degree, maybe the lack of a clean police record in a few cases...

The salary requirement does not apply to teachers, so this is not a hindrance to getting the WP for them. Language schools are businesses (for maximising profit) and have high staff turnover. Many of their teachers also do not have degrees. hence many employers do not bother with WP's for the teachers.

Easy to say, but what if one year you were refused insurance!

If the Thai government would at least offer a basic plan, maybe that would help.

If the Thai hospitals did not charge so much more for foreigners than nationals, then maybe insurance would be easier to buy.

Nothing to do with age also in some cases.

Nothing to do with the use of the brain also!

It is a fact some people can't get cover or afford the sometimes ridiculous costs.

You might it sound like there is one big insurance company in the sky.........if there was actually a single payer plan available to foreigners all for the same cost; countries would be ridding themselves of the indigent by the planeload, in a similar fashion to Fidel Castro emptying out his mental hospital/prisons and dumping them on Miami........dream on. Healthcare for those over 65 is quite cheap in America...so cheap the system will be bankrupt by 2030.

BTW, departure tax was 500 cash at the airport, and is now 700 in the price of your ticket.

Maybe language schools are lazy or maximizing profits or maybe the people they hire do not qualify by degree or they transient people

To work at regular, teachers must teach minimum 20 hours per week.

Do most language school teachers work at least 20 hours per week?

I can understand not giving work permits and extending visa on 15 hours a week working.

Work permit probably has a period of employment.

Do most language school teacher stay one year with a company?

Nope.

Nope.

we have plenty of foreigners who work in admin - they never set a foot inside a classroom. How does that work? How do they get a work permit if they are not teaching?

I'm retired, and have qualifications in teaching English to speakers of other languages, but not a degree. I'd happily do some part time teaching given the chance.

Goodness, you talk a lot of nonsense on here. You were earning 1,000,000 (1 million pounds a year) annually when you worked for yourself !!!!

Then you go on to state that its not always about the money.

You have said before that you are teaching now to supplement your hotel empire !

Soooooo which is it.............. money's not important but you need it for your business empire.............. or................... you work for free ! blink.png

Money's not important........... pfffffffffffft.

The minimum wage for a foreign worker is dependant on the region your from, however for most of Europe, Australia, America etc it's 50,000. I can't believe people have taken jobs for less than this.

Why is it always about the money? As an employee in the UK, I earned 550,000 baht/month salary, rising almost 4,000,000 baht/month when I worked for myself, (yes I have got my number of zeros correct).

If I want to teach in Thailand for 30,000 baht/month, then that's my choice. But please 'streamline' the visa/WP process.

I live in Thailand, but usually teach in Cambodia, Lao PDR and Myanmar, where the process for obtaining a WP is so much easier, (or no WP at all, in the case of Myanmar)

There is much more to life than just money....

Sounds like Simon43 speaks a lot of crap.

Goodness, you talk a lot of nonsense on here. You were earning 1,000,000 (1 million pounds a year) annually when you worked for yourself !!!!

Then you go on to state that its not always about the money.

You have said before that you are teaching now to supplement your hotel empire !

Soooooo which is it.............. money's not important but you need it for your business empire.............. or................... you work for free ! blink.png

Money's not important........... pfffffffffffft.

The minimum wage for a foreign worker is dependant on the region your from, however for most of Europe, Australia, America etc it's 50,000. I can't believe people have taken jobs for less than this.

Why is it always about the money? As an employee in the UK, I earned 550,000 baht/month salary, rising almost 4,000,000 baht/month when I worked for myself, (yes I have got my number of zeros correct).

If I want to teach in Thailand for 30,000 baht/month, then that's my choice. But please 'streamline' the visa/WP process.

I live in Thailand, but usually teach in Cambodia, Lao PDR and Myanmar, where the process for obtaining a WP is so much easier, (or no WP at all, in the case of Myanmar)

There is much more to life than just money....

Sounds like Simon43 speaks a lot of crap.

Actually from my experience of Simon43 on this and other sites. Not so.. he does seem to have a fetish on getting married and divorced though :-D

Nope.

Nope.

we have plenty of foreigners who work in admin - they never set a foot inside a classroom. How does that work? How do they get a work permit if they are not teaching?

I thought we were talking about English teachers at language schools.

Sure, many people in Thailand have work permits for non-teaching jobs.

I assume to get a work permit then you must have a contract for minimum number of hours.

Is it likely for most people to get work permit and visa for 1 year working 10 hours a week?

Language schools probably have a limited number of work permits based on number of documented students.

i thoght a work contract, work permit, and visa coincided.