Data Retrieval.

the scouser

My hard drive died on me last week. Windows refused to load and, instead, a message was displayed which said something like "hard disk status = bad. Imminent failure. Back up your data now." However, as Windows would not load, I could not back up my data.

I've now bought a new base unit and was wondering if it's possible for me to get any files off the now-deceased old hard drive? There's nothing too important on there except loads of photos of our son which I never copied to CD/DVD and my missus is giving me grief.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Scouse.

Guest endure

You need to install the old drive as a slave unit in your new PC to see whether it's possible to get any data off. It's not difficult but better done by somenone who knows the innards of a PC. Could the people who you bought the new base from do it for you?

Could the people who you bought the new base from do it for you?

I bought it from Currys and I get the general impression that the adolescent spotty oik who sold me the new machine knows less than I do (and that's quite an achievement).

You're right that I do need someone to do it for me as I'd be scared stiff of messing up my new hard drive, so I'll try and find someone who at least engenders a bit of confidence.

Cheers,

Scouse.

I have heard you can get the old hard drive to work a little longer by putting it in the freezer for a while and then installing it back into your computer and immediately unloading all your data from it.

I haven't done this myself but a Google search shows others have and some succeed.

Guest endure

You can also get them to work temporarily by hitting them with a small hammer - the skill is knowing where and how hard to hit them :o

You might try buying a USB housing and put the old drive in it (they should come with full instructions and don't cost much) - no need to open computer and no way you can mess up the present HD that way. After you get or don't get data from the old drive buy a new drive for the USB and use it for backups every week or so.