Givi or Shad topbox

Swamp Thing

As you may have read on another thread, I have recently purchased a PCX 150.

I have decided I would like to have a topbox fitted to it and thought that making my choice would be easy. I went to GT Rider in Pattaya Tai with the intention of checking out the cases made by Givi and making my choice. When I got there, I found that many of the cases in there were made by a company called Shad. I have done an online search, but haven't found out which is superior quality, if any.

Are they pretty much the same in construction? Any advice or recommendations welcome.

If you actually plan to take it off the bike and use it as luggage avoid as much of the painted plastic and tailight panels.

They are made of brittle plastic that will crack upon impact.

The Shad40 was my favorite so far because it is mostly the black polypropelene which is almost indestructable and UV stable.

I have a Givi e55 and hate it because all my ABS panels cracked from hits and the tail light areas got moldy from the rain.

Also the lock mechanism is plastic so it opens from hard braking.

I don't plan to take it off the bike, but to leave it on as a fixture.

It seems like Shad gets the thumbs-up so far.

The sales guy at Mityon Honda told me that Givi is better quality, and I think that may be marginally true. Both are pretty good and solid, but I think that the locking mechanism on the Givi is better. I like the shapes of the Shad boxes better. I have a PCX 150 with a Shad 34 box on the back, which as a great shape and has red panels on the sides that match my red PCX perfectly. It is a great looking box for that bike. But, I am not sure if the red Shad 34 is still available (assuming that your PCX is red). The top of the Shad box vibrates a bit when I first take off, but other than that it seems to be solid, well made and looks very good. I had a bigger Givi box on my Phantom and it was also very good, but not stylish. I think that you would be happy with either box, and suggest that you base your selection on the one that looks best on your bike and is the size that suits your needs -- the big ones look pretty bad on a small scooter, but they do offer more carrying space.

I have a Givi 35 litre top box which I use interchangeably on my PCX and Versys. This box must have done over 30,000 kms through rain and shine (including a couple of drops smile.png ) and it still works perfectly.

Bear in mind that there are Malaysian made Givis which are cheaper than the Italian made ones. Mine are in fact Malaysian made and I find them absolutely perfect in terms of sizes and looks.

post-143305-0-06962800-1408518255_thumb.

I have a Givi 35 litre top box which I use interchangeably on my PCX and Versys. This box must have done over 30,000 kms through rain and shine (including a couple of drops smile.png ) and it still works perfectly.

Bear in mind that there are Malaysian made Givis which are cheaper than the Italian made ones. Mine are in fact Malaysian made and I find them absolutely perfect in terms of sizes and looks.

attachicon.gif20121227_145940.JPG

Have you tried changing the angle of that (I assume MRA X-Creen) spoiler? I was looking at getting the version I mentioned already and upon reading up on it, some people report less buffeting of the helmet if the spoiler actually sends some air towards your noggin. Would like to get another data point if you have anything you'd want to share about it.

attachicon.gif20121227_145940.JPG

Have you tried changing the angle of that (I assume MRA X-Creen) spoiler? I was looking at getting the version I mentioned already and upon reading up on it, some people report less buffeting of the helmet if the spoiler actually sends some air towards your noggin. Would like to get another data point if you have anything you'd want to share about it.

I can't "steepen" the angle of the main spoiler as I have my GPS mount directly behind it. Before I had the GPS mount, it was at a steeper angle but I found the buffeting a bit much. At it's current angle, it's not perfect but I can live with it

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I've been watching some vids on YouTube on installing a topbox. It appears to me that the fittings aren't very strong. Also, it is bolted on. Has anybody experienced their topbox being stolen when their bike is parked?

Also, are the topboxes usually fitted by the purchaser or does the shop usually offer a fitting service?

Thanks for the replies.

I've been watching some vids on YouTube on installing a topbox. It appears to me that the fittings aren't very strong. Also, it is bolted on. Has anybody experienced their topbox being stolen when their bike is parked?

Also, are the topboxes usually fitted by the purchaser or does the shop usually offer a fitting service?

I don't think that Givi (or Shad for that matter) does a specific rack for the PCX (most of the racks are bike specific due to mounting points etc). As a result, you will have to purchase an after market rack and these are of course not as strong as OEM ones.

Therefore, I would not advise a top box larger than 35 litres. The larger the top box, the more tempted you will be to fill it to the brim and it might just be too much stress for the rack.

As to top boxes being stolen, I would imagine that this is very rare. It takes time to remove the nuts and bolts and the thief would then need to cut the box open as the locking mechanism is quite good.

Good point, I had a Shad 40 on my Nouvo and after 5 years the sheetmetal cross brace where my rack was bolted to almost broke off entirely, the pogoing of the topbox tore through about 10cm of steel.

I can use a 55L on my Tricity because the rack bolts through massive aluminum pieces backed by the steel frame at 4 points.

I don't know how a rack is mounted to a PCX's frame so the weight the box will hold is a concern over the long term.

I'm sure almost all topboxes lock to their baseplates when the lock is engaged so theft would require hacking off the rack because the boltheads to the baseplates are captured by the topbox.

At least was the case with the Givi 33, Givi 55, and Shad 40 I have tried.

I would buy a Shad just to spite Givi for making their flagship box a P.o.S.

• Like 1

all i know, to prevent the breaking down top boxes and panniers, there are methods of installation to prevent it. I remember reading it something related with adventure bikes.

PCX = adventure bike???? You're losing it II, 555555 (see you tomorrow. I'm riding down afterwards with Matt, if the rain stops!!)

all i know, to prevent the breaking down top boxes and panniers, there are methods of installation to prevent it. I remember reading it something related with adventure bikes.

PCX = adventure bike???? You're losing it II, 555555 (see you tomorrow. I'm riding down afterwards with Matt, if the rain stops!!)

Losing?

I was not talking about pcx.

But maybe same way might be used.

Edited by ll2