Norwegian Chiropractor arrested by Pattaya Immigration Police

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

deleted post

In your eyes does that include the western individual/NGOs and agencies working with Thai authorities to try to capture and prosecute child sex traffickers, endangered species dealers etc etc

It is such a pity that they can't do it without the foreign help (prompting?).

Edited by petercool

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems counter productive since there is a strong need for this type of service and the people that can do it are very rare in Thailand. Falong could be able to help Thais in many occupations but the work permits are so difficult to get. I do not imagine that any Thai will step in to fill the void created by putting a Chiropractor out of business.

Do you suggest that laws should be broken?

Are you sure you are a suitable resident of Thailand?

My suggestion is that it is too difficult for some Falongs to work legally here and that it should not be, especially when there are very few Thais to fill such jobs, ie: laws should be lightened up.

Yes, I am sure, thank you for your concern.

• Like 1

Undercover foreign operative? They are really getting clever now.

If this Vince guy is as good as people say he is he should be able to find a way to sort out this mess he's in now, clear his fines, and come back. If he finds a Thai partner who is is licensed and accredited it wouldn't be too difficult to get a work permit.

... and be on the mercy of his Thai "partner"

if he is clever he will strictly avoid that

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 1

This seems counter productive since there is a strong need for this type of service and the people that can do it are very rare in Thailand. Falong could be able to help Thais in many occupations but the work permits are so difficult to get. I do not imagine that any Thai will step in to fill the void created by putting a Chiropractor out of business.

Was he a qualified Chiropractor?

Yes.

Was there not recently a post commenting on how good the clinic is? Or was for that matter.

He is/ was excellent and is accredited just not in Thailand .

From my understanding to get accredited in Thailand he would have to speak really good Thai and pass a few tests.

It's a real shame because he really was is/was excellent , much better than his competition in north Pattaya

Yes, I do remember that one stumbling block in the nearly impossible requirements was that the Chiropractor must speak very good Thai and read Thai, way more language qualifications than needed to provide the service, especially since almost all of the customers are Falong.

Undercover foreign operative? They are really getting clever now.

If this Vince guy is as good as people say he is he should be able to find a way to sort out this mess he's in now, clear his fines, and come back. If he finds a Thai partner who is is licensed and accredited it wouldn't be too difficult to get a work permit.

... and be on the mercy of his Thai "partner"

if he is clever he will strictly avoid that

It's clear that he made a choice. His decision to operate as he did was probably a result of being ill advised.

Now he is at the mercy of the Thai immigration police and the Thai judicial system. Given the choice I'd take the Thai partner.

• Like 1

Did this guy used to work in the clinic at bottom of nun pleb wan, there was a young falang guy doing the same there back about a year or so ago, and kinda looks familiar, he seemed to be accepted for working there, I don't know for sure, but I does make you stop and look when you see a falang working in mostly thai enviroments, but it shouldn't I know.many others opening places left righ &centre, kebab shops by the dozen but we get shafted as if we are aliens, oh we are classed as them,lol

If he was qualified then he should have set up the business legally. There are foreign doctors in Thailand operating within the law. The only one being counter-productive, assuming he was qualified at all, was him. Can you just picture all the righteous indignation here at the hub of counter-productive pontificating if he "treated" someone and caused irreparable damage and it was found out that he wasn't licensed to practice?

Your argument that someone who is operating illegally should be allowed to continue makes absolutely no sense and Thais have a perfectly adequate system for training and licensing medical practitioners without the need for itinerant farang to hold them by the hand. Can you imagine what would happen if some fully qualified Thai doctor opened a clinic in Norway without bothering with any of the legal requirements? Presumably even if this guy was qualified in Norway he wouldn't just rent a storefront shop and start treating people without some licensing procedure.

Falong could be able to help Thais

Simply because they're farang, I suppose. The need for sunscreen must imply omniscience.

The qualifications to be legal are illogical in this example if you look into it.

Never said he should be allowed to continue working illegally.

"perfectly adequate system for training and licensing medical practitioners " OH, riiighttttt.......

If you have not witnessed the need many Thais have for western assistance and you are a falong then you must have no special skills to offer them. Nothing to do with skin color.

It's a real shame because he really was is/was excellent , much better than his competition in north Pattaya

And that is the base problem.

How dare he be better at something.

although insecurity and unwillingness to allow foreigners to be perceived as clever does exist in thai society non thai's actually have taken and passed the thai chiropractic exam which is given in english or was in the past. i know someone that passed and was hired to work with a thai chiro.

he invested study time and a reasonable fee for the exam.

Edited by atyclb

Did this guy used to work in the clinic at bottom of nun pleb wan, there was a young falang guy doing the same there back about a year or so ago, and kinda looks familiar, he seemed to be accepted for working there, I don't know for sure, but I does make you stop and look when you see a falang working in mostly thai enviroments, but it shouldn't I know.many others opening places left righ &centre, kebab shops by the dozen but we get shafted as if we are aliens, oh we are classed as them,lol

Correct - he went out on his own. Chatter is suggesting his landlady reported him .... guess he'll lose his hefty deposit now!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Do you suggest that laws should be broken?

Are you sure you are a suitable resident of Thailand?

My suggestion is that it is too difficult for some Falongs to work legally here and that it should not be, especially when there are very few Thais to fill such jobs, ie: laws should be lightened up.

Yes, I am sure, thank you for your concern.

Sorry off topic but it is annoying, its Farang not Falong

But how many Thai QUACKS who have paid for sudo fake licences are putting people at risk of perminent damage.

Thailand is the HUB of quackery.

Anyone who looks into the ethics of those practicing ANY form of healthcare here would think twice about seeking any kind of treatment.

• Like 2

So this Chiropractor though that he can operate a practice visible to all in impunity and

get away with it? he need to have his head examined ....

He was given bad advice, and or he thought he had paid the right people off.

• Like 2

I saw this guy a few years back. He cracked my neck and a few hours later I suffered concussion and disorientation, and couldn't find my way home. Obviously I never went back. Thank goodness there are now more decent (and legal) chiropractors in Thailand.

• Like 1

I saw this guy a few years back. He cracked my neck and a few hours later I suffered concussion and disorientation, and couldn't find my way home. Obviously I never went back. Thank goodness there are now more decent (and legal) chiropractors in Thailand.

I'm sorry you couldn't find your way home, but to never go back home seems a bit drastic. Unless of course, you're just having a bit of fun, which I think is probably what you're doing.

The whole Work Permit system is riddled with corruption. Many I am sure would have no problem with applying for one and getting one legally, but I was made to sign a form saying that I was making 80,000 Bht clear every month even though on many months (especially after the 300 Bht minimum wage came in) I was actually losing money ! However I was being taxed on this hypothetical 80 thousand and was literally driven into bancruptcy. If everything was straight and above board things would be much better, and if this state of affairs could ever be achieved many would operate legally I am sure. Incidentally on a short trip to Bangkok it soon became clear that most of the waitresses are still being paid only 100 Bht per day, so one wonders and feels like a mug for paying the 300 - 400 Bht ! Silly me :(

• Like 1

What is a FALONG ????

Did the guy even check if he could get a work permit, i dont think so. He had a student visa, so obviously he hasnt the funds, so lets open a clinic, sod the laws, bye bye

i'm sure he meant "falang" (I believe that is the word used by Thais to refer to a 'farang' when talking to another Thai, using 'farang' only when talking to a 'falang'. :-) I agree with your comment..........and that he, being short the necessry funds to go the legal route, chose to roll the dice on the other side and lost!I Checking on the web, it appears that, had he gone the legal route AND was a skilled chiropractor (some question as to that in the article) it looks as though he would have been able to make a success of it!