Ducati Panigale 899

JonnyF

Mine's ready for collection on the 22nd of this month so anyone who's ordered one can expect a call pretty soon I'd imagine.

Congrats Jonny & Hili too!

I see you have your Ninja up for sale...Still looks in great shape

Thanks Mania; but whos Ninja you talk about?

Jonny has a GSXR if iam not wrong and i sold a R6 :)

• Like 1

Mine's ready for collection on the 22nd of this month so anyone who's ordered one can expect a call pretty soon I'd imagine.

Jonny has a GSXR if iam not wrong and i sold a R6 smile.png

Hey Hili, you're both right - I'm selling the Ninja but keeping the GSXR. Don't really want to sell the Ninja but I'm already getting grief from security at my condo about taking up too much space...

• Like 1

Jonny has a GSXR if iam not wrong and i sold a R6 smile.png

Hey Hili, you're both right - I'm selling the Ninja but keeping the GSXR. Don't really want to sell the Ninja but I'm already getting grief from security at my condo about taking up too much space...

What will he say when you park 899 instead?:lol:

jonnyf you have great taste in bikes ,in 10 days time you will be in possession of my two favourite bikes....thumbsup.gif

Thanks, the 899 was the first bike that just screamed at me for quite a while. All the other bikes I was trying to convince myself I wanted them as opposed to actually wanting them (if you know what I mean?).

Due to work commitments I don't rack up the miles like I used to - so I really fancied something to put a smile on my face on the weekends I get on the bike. Smiles per miles as opposed to bang per buck I guess :)

• Like 2

the 899 was the first bike that just screamed at me for quite a while. All the other bikes I was trying to convince myself I wanted them as opposed to actually wanting them (if you know what I mean?).

+1 & I know exactly what you mean & agree

Nothing in recent years here in Thailand to really say WOW about

This is something that gets 2 thumbs up thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

jonnyf you have great taste in bikes ,in 10 days time you will be in possession of my two favourite bikes....thumbsup.gif

Thanks, the 899 was the first bike that just screamed at me for quite a while. All the other bikes I was trying to convince myself I wanted them as opposed to actually wanting them (if you know what I mean?).

Due to work commitments I don't rack up the miles like I used to - so I really fancied something to put a smile on my face on the weekends I get on the bike. Smiles per miles as opposed to bang per buck I guess smile.png

no, also good bang for the buck too jonny! that electronic suite, quality components, a nice engine and full sexiness and you got a free termi too worth something.

plus smiles per miles for surebiggrin.png

cool man! hope one weekend you ride with us with that beauty!

Edited by ll2
  • Like 1

Lovely.

But you still get wet if it rains.

If there's a three wheeler one with a roof and windshield.

I'd be tempted

A 3-wheeler? With a roof and windshield?

And you're worried about getting wet?

Maybe just buy a Robin Reliant?

Ducati is heading in the right direction with it's Panigale line. They're overpriced of course and, coming from someone who's owned 2 Ducatis in Thailand, upkeep could be an issue but hopefully Audi have sorted out the unreliability issues (also known as a Ducati having 'soul') and maybe these bikes will be spending less time in the workshop in future.

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Lovely.

I'd be tempted

Ducati is heading in the right direction with it's Panigale line. They're overpriced of course and, coming from someone who's owned 2 Ducatis in Thailand, upkeep could be an issue but hopefully Audi have sorted out the unreliability issues (also known as a Ducati having 'soul') and maybe these bikes will be spending less time in the workshop in future.

You might have had problems with your two Ducatis but I haven't had any serious problems with my two Ducatis. I know guys with new BMW's with more issues than I have ever had. You can have a reliable bike with soul. With my monster I had no issues, and with the Multi I only had a fuel sensor error. Was fixed in 30 minutes.

Lately Ducati have been making reliable bikes (even before Audi bought them). Same like Ferrari. In the past they would break done a lot but nowadays they are fairly reliable.

People on these forums have a tendency of saying that they won't buy a Ducati because it isn't reliable. I think that is mostly B/S and the main reason is that they are expensive to buy (NOT to maintain).

• Like 1

Lovely.

I'd be tempted

You might have had problems with your two Ducatis but I haven't had any serious problems with my two Ducatis. I know guys with new BMW's with more issues than I have ever had. You can have a reliable bike with soul. With my monster I had no issues, and with the Multi I only had a fuel sensor error. Was fixed in 30 minutes.

Lately Ducati have been making reliable bikes (even before Audi bought them). Same like Ferrari. In the past they would break done a lot but nowadays they are fairly reliable.

People on these forums have a tendency of saying that they won't buy a Ducati because it isn't reliable. I think that is mostly B/S and the main reason is that they are expensive to buy (NOT to maintain).

I'd agree with that, this will be my first Ducati but the recent Ducati's seem to be pretty reliable from what I've read on the forums, they seem to have stepped it up a notch in terms of service intervals and reliability. I have no interest in 'soul' but I happen to like the recent models and while I love Jap inline 4's, I've had one for the last 4 years and fancy a change.

As for reliability, even on this forum we've had issues with pretty much every brand of bike (e.g. a well maintained Versys engine blowing up) and the issues with BMW Barcelona's "servicing" have been well documented on other Thai forums.

Given the reports of their latest models and their commitment to the Thai market, I'm not too worried...

Okay. But how many kl have you put on your bikes? Hopefully you're a serious rider and not a Thonglor poser as many riders I met at the dealers were. I mean, putting on full gear just for a ride to J Avenue. etc.

Mine were fine at first but after I put some serious miles on them they started to fall apart. Now most bikes will need work after high mileage but with the Ducs and the 848 especially, it was every month with the problems increasing in seriousness each month and it just turned into a money pit. i was so happy when I sold it.

I admit, the experience left me a little biased against them. Before I was a full-on Ducatisti but how much can one take before waking up.and smelling the roses?

I would say that Ducatis ARE more reliable now but feel this is a recent thing. But give me an inline-4 any day.

And I still think the 'soul' thing is a bunch of arse.

Okay. But how many kl have you put on your bikes? Hopefully you're a serious rider and not a Thonglor poser as many riders I met at the dealers were. I mean, putting on full gear just for a ride to J Avenue. etc.

Mine were fine at first but after I put some serious miles on them they started to fall apart. Now most bikes will need work after high mileage but with the Ducs and the 848 especially, it was every month with the problems increasing in seriousness each month and it just turned into a money pit. i was so happy when I sold it.

I admit, the experience left me a little biased against them. Before I was a full-on Ducatisti but how much can one take before waking up.and smelling the roses?

I would say that Ducatis ARE more reliable now but feel this is a recent thing. But give me an inline-4 any day.

And I still think the 'soul' thing is a bunch of arse.

I have done an average of 1000km/month the last 3 years. With full gear and on tracks. That's basically all the time I have.

Lovely.

I'd be tempted

I'd agree with that, this will be my first Ducati but the recent Ducati's seem to be pretty reliable from what I've read on the forums, they seem to have stepped it up a notch in terms of service intervals and reliability. I have no interest in 'soul' but I happen to like the recent models and while I love Jap inline 4's, I've had one for the last 4 years and fancy a change.

As for reliability, even on this forum we've had issues with pretty much every brand of bike (e.g. a well maintained Versys engine blowing up) and the issues with BMW Barcelona's "servicing" have been well documented on other Thai forums.

Given the reports of their latest models and their commitment to the Thai market, I'm not too worried...

A 899 for 750 with a Termi slip on is a great deal. Also compared to the Japanese bikes that are available.

You will love this bike.

• Like 1

Lovely.

I'd be tempted

Yep years and years, duc ownera got fooled like 'hey, these are not a problem, just ducati has soul!'

Actually i dont believe problems as soul of a bike too.

Also it is alot more expensive to maintain a ducati even here in Thailand and everywhere on Earth.

But after Audi problems are getting less still not zero according to the forums.

Still, I believe ducati 899 might be the most reliable ducati so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to admit I'm getting excited now. Pick her up on Friday. Here's a video that Tanin referred to on another thread, quite an honest review, he slates it for the first 8 or so minutes as he's got it in sports mode and then switches to race mode.

Anyway, like I said it's an honest review as he criticizes a few things (he's a blogger and tests bikes for a living) but really enjoys the bike... Think he bought one in the end...

• Like 2

I got through 9 minutes then couldnt take the narrator anymore. Certainly didnt like him saying it didn't have a lot of power my god its 150hp. Also him saying its like a girl? i'll be waiting for the tvf review;)

Well you should watch the rest where he is in race mode, he says perfect about 5 times I think, better than 1199 and so on.

Awesome bike.

You are a lucky man JonnyF.

I got through 9 minutes then couldnt take the narrator anymore. Certainly didnt like him saying it didn't have a lot of power my god its 150hp. Also him saying its like a girl? i'll be waiting for the tvf review;)

yeah I'm with you yankee his voice is a little annoying but as jonnyf says he knows his bikes has ridden most of the top models ,he also has great editing skills.sometimes he just comes across a rich tosser he took his own gsxr 750 off roading in one off his video bloggs trashed the bike and got quite a bit of stick over it...biggrin.png

Here's a quick review of the 899 vs 1199- http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/03/26/ducati-1199-panigale-vs-899-panigale-comparison-review-photos-specifications/- the 899 was faster on an extremely tight track (the 'Streets of Willow'- I've ridden it on my Hayabusa, and it's like a go-kart track and not much fun on anything bigger than 600cc), so it's likely a better bike for the road.

If the price difference were the same 120K ($4000) in LOS I'd still go for the 1199 (plus I like that it's made in Italy), but the 650K difference in LOS is really huge, and the 899 seems to offer a more civilized package.

The big concern I'd have with a Panigale of any size is tne engine heat- that seems to be its biggest drawback, especially in LOS- riders have worked on adding heat shielding (to no real effect) or altering their seating positions to avoid being roasted. I'm also interested to hear what it's like to live with in tne local climate. I think it will be an issue if you ride in jeans as tne frame supposedly heats up quite a bit (to tne point where it can cause mild burns).

• Like 1

Odd your link didnt work RSD but I found it & it is the same link? Here

(I see now your link has a "-" on the end)

But with the tight track compare part aside I am pretty impressed with the specs

& agree with you it would likely be a more civilized road package than the 1199

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

^

Thanks- saw your post too late to edit the link (since upgrading to iOS 8, everything I post from my iPad seems to be screwed up...)

My planned move up north was delayed until the end of this year so I ended up canceling my order for the HP4 (though it's still available through importers even though BMW Thailand is done with their allotment) as I want to see how the redesigned S1000RR turns out (I told BMW to hold my deposit so I can get one from the first delivery if it turns out to be something special)- I also want to see the new H2, R1, and rumored 1299 Panigale. Still, I find the 899 very interesting at 750K, but as I noted, the heat issues worry me (possible fueling issues or uncomfortable riding position are no big deal, but a roasted ass is a concern;)).

Edited by RubberSideDown

Yeah I read about the heat issues, I think all big bikes have heat issues in heavy traffic to some extent - I've had heat rash on the inside of both thighs from my gsxr600. The S1000RR frame reportedly gets so hot you have to stick your leg out to get away from it. Similar stories on the R1 and I've even heard er6f riders complaining that the fan directs a hot blast directly onto their leg. I'm expecting a bit of heat in heavy traffic but I'll be wearing either Kevlar or leather on the bike so I'm not expecting it to be too bad.

Riding in normal jeans or shorts through downtown Bangkok I'm sure you'd feel it but then it's got nearly 150hp so it's going to generate heat.

^

I looked into tne 1199 quite a bit- I've never read about heat issues with another bike anywhere near what's been in reviews and Internet boards (the HP4 and S1000RR aren't close to the same level- even my ZX-14R isn't bad on a hot day, and that's over 200hp)- the 899 might not be as bad, but this is an issue that Ducati has tried (and failed) to resolve. Tne nature of the engine and the routing of the exhaust seems to create heat (directed at the ride) well beyond the ordinary.

I'd be happy to own one (and I still could see buying an 1199 in the right circumstances), but I think if I lived in BKK it would worry me. It's obviously a great bike, and if you have it as a second bike (which I believe you do) that would make it much easier to live with.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

The Ducati Thailand website says red is 750k THB and white is 1M THB, is that correct? If so, that's one hell of an expensive paint job smile.png

Do they import white ones?

Yes.

Really love the white one. A white 848evo is nice too.

5196485123_223241c9ab_z_zps454f5c24.jpg

Edited by Nickymaster