Ducati Panigale 899

JonnyF

I always figured the majority of heat issues were from

back when the pipes swept up under the seat.

Now with the low exit I would have thought the heat would be

about the same as other similar sized bikes. Have read some here originally

thought the new 650 Honda was also hot at first but got accustomed to it

Edited by mania

^

Nope- it's a big issue among owners- I've read all the Ducati boards and magazine and Internet reviews- they all mention the heat. Ducati started offering new heat shielding from 2013, but it didn't really help much according to many owners. Even the short Cycle World comparison makes mention of it.

When a newb mentions the heat on Ducati1199.com, for example, they make a joke out of it and say 'What heat?' It's something you have to live with on the 1199 at least- I don't know as much about the 899.

If I lived where I could generally avoid traffic, the heat wouldn't worry me, but in a big city, it could be rough going. Then again, maybe it's not as bad as I think.

Edited by RubberSideDown

If one does not like heat, run away from any ducati model.

Cbr650f is the coldest engine i have ever encountered for a bike in its size especially after break in. Much more cooler than my cbr600rr before and nearly cbr250 and 500 levels of heat.

Ducati 899 is a bike made for fast riding and track and sure not for city riding. It is not designed for slow rides.

Jonny great bike man. I m sure if it is me, i cant sleep tonight and has been sleepless for a week already!

I dont think heat issue will be annoying for spirited weekend rides.

Edited by ll2

Nope- it's a big issue among owners- I've read all the Ducati boards and magazine and Internet reviews- they all mention the heat. Ducati started offering new heat shielding from 2013, but it didn't really help much according to many owners. Even the short Cycle World comparison makes mention of it.

Yes I saw that in the review.

Well good we will hear from Jonny what he thinks as Bangkok is a real test for any bike wink.png

I remember reading a good many posts by a guy on Adventure Forum who rode a 1199 Panigale

across the USA right after he bought it. I do remember him mentioning the heat at times

Cbr650f is the coldest engine i have ever encountered for a bike in its size especially after break in.

Wow glad to hear of the big change after break-in

I remember your initial review of the bike

Only gripe about the engine, it gets hot fast -

of course normal still it does not heat the seat and where you place your legs in tank magically.

But chassis, front plastics, swingarm, pipe all lava hot.

• Like 1

Some of the pictures of burns (blistering etc) are actually quite serious. From what I could find there isn't much you can actually do to reduce the heat output, just start wearing clothes that are heat resistant.

Hoping the guys who have bought don't find it as bad or can find a solution to the heat source.

Nice bike though i have a couple of m8's who had Ducati's in the past, they say its very difficult to get parts in Oz & takes for ages for them to arrive from Italy....i hate to think how long it would take to LOS facepalm.gif

Edited by Felixthecat

Nice bike though i have a couple of m8's who had Ducati's in the past, they say its very difficult to get parts in Oz & takes for ages for them to arrive from Italy....i hate to think how long it would take to LOS facepalm.gif

There are more Ducatis being sold in Thailand (a year) than in Australia at the moment. Most are sold in Bangkok by a few dealers. They are well equipped with parts, and if not available they do a good job ordering them within a short period of time. I am always amazed how much Ducati Tong Lo has in stock.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 2

Yeah these bike are not made for slow moving stop n go traffic. Once you keep going, you won't notice much of the heat. It's a compact bike with a lot of power. If you sit on one of those Superbikes you are basically hugging it. The heat has to go somewhere.

I had some heat issues with my Monster but with the Multistrada it's perfect. No problem. It's a very "open" bike.

Since they fabricates the bikes here that situation should be different (at least for the models assembled here)....

I wonder how many of the issues can be directly related to the price/prestige of the machine? Kinda like how BMW and Mercedes always score lower than say Ford on those ratings simply because the owners of cars that are nicer have their expectations set higher?

• Like 1

I wonder how many of the issues can be directly related to the price/prestige of the machine? Kinda like how BMW and Mercedes always score lower than say Ford on those ratings simply because the owners of cars that are nicer have their expectations set higher?

That is an interesting thought dave

I am looking forward to Jonnys review.

Having read his posts for years I feel we will get a unbiased/credible report

I will say again having looked at this up close it is about the most beautiful thing I have seen

on two wheels here in Thailand. Really tugs the right strings between form & function

Beautiful example

Yes I saw that in the review.

Well good we will hear from Jonny what he thinks as Bangkok is a real test for any bike wink.png

I remember reading a good many posts by a guy on Adventure Forum who rode a 1199 Panigale

across the USA right after he bought it. I do remember him mentioning the heat at times

Cbr650f is the coldest engine i have ever encountered for a bike in its size especially after break in.

Wow glad to hear of the big change after break-in

I remember your initial review of the bike

Only gripe about the engine, it gets hot fast -

of course normal still it does not heat the seat and where you place your legs in tank magically.

But chassis, front plastics, swingarm, pipe all lava hot.

at the end, it is changed. right after getting the bike it was feeling hot especially during first thousand kms but not anymore.

glad you follow my posts mania! feeling good!

at the end, it is changed. right after getting the bike it was feeling hot especially during first thousand kms but not anymore.

Glad to hear that it changed

Nah I dont follow posts but have a good memory so I remember that "Hot as Lava" phrase & just

put it in the search

I also remember another guy (not you) claiming he could no longer ride in shorts on his new 650

Which is probably a good thing....Best to dress with a bit more coverage wink.png

Edited by mania

That is an interesting thought dave

I am looking forward to Jonnys review.

Having read his posts for years I feel we will get a unbiased/credible report

I will say again having looked at this up close it is about the most beautiful thing I have seen

on two wheels here in Thailand. Really tugs the right strings between form & function

Beautiful example

can you define that Mania? you feel?

who can write a honest review and who is a wannabe never sat on a real sport bike? so you can feel that huh?

c'mon man!

Edited by ll2

Glad to hear that it changed

Nah I dont follow posts but have a good memory so I remember that "Hot as Lava" phrase & just

put it in the search

I also remember another guy (not you) claiming he could no longer ride in shorts on his new 650

Which is probably a good thing....Best to dress with a bit more coverage wink.png

yeah it cannot?

yeah, sure we dont ride with short on a sportbike especially a 'real sportbike' in your terms, right?

who can write a honest review and who is a wannabe never sat on a real sport bike? so you can feel that huh?

c'mon man!

LL what is going on with you lately?

Your posts sound like you drink in the day & do drugs at night

In the day your a angry poster & at night your a Peace bro poster,,,, tongue.pnglaugh.png

If that is the case please do drugs all day instead wink.png

Respect is earned by what has come before

With Jonny's posts it has always been clear

He does not waffle or worship brand. He sticks to the facts

Lets not clutter up/ derail Jonny's Ducati thread eh?

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

I always figured the majority of heat issues were from

back when the pipes swept up under the seat.

Now with the low exit I would have thought the heat would be

about the same as other similar sized bikes. Have read some here originally

thought the new 650 Honda was also hot at first but got accustomed to it

this is what I thought with my Daytona mania justsohot becauseunderseat pipe but from talking with other owners the pipe position is not a problem it's the frame that heats up its a completely different feelling from just having the fan blowing heat onto you or feeling heat from the engine casing.
  • Like 1

Speculation is that the heat is due to the positioning of one of the cylinders, which raises the temp of the frame.

I would doubt that the reports have anything to do with the brand- there aren't many people with a Panigale as their first motorcyçle (though no doubt there are some), and most are making comparisons to other bikes they've owned.

Again, some owners say it's no big deal- we'll have some first-hand reports soon enough.

• Like 1

c'mon man!

In the day your a angry poster & at night your a Peace bro poster,,,, tongue.pnglaugh.png

speaking of derailing a thread, thanks for being sensitive on it but what about the thread that i opened abut ktm test rides and you and another ranter derailed mania? with the help of a couple of intuitive squids? so tell me who is wallowing and waffling?

and not only derailing and also trying to discredit me with strong words. what is the reason for that?

and still i believe you are the one waffling around and not sticking to the facts by trying to discredit me just bc some do things and kind enough to post reviews and photos about it and you just talk?

what i see here is, you get hard feelings over people here at times and assume things about them due to a mysterious reasons and hope you stop that.

brand loyalist my ass, if i am that brand loyalist, you will never see me test riding all ktm and mv agusta models 150 km away from my house which i needed to leave like 06:00 in the morning on sunday morning, or you never hear me posting things aboiut a benelli model honestly.

and again kissing as...ss of someone else. are you always like that man? wow

and speaking of drugs, just mind your tongue man. although you are joking, i believe not appropriate even as a joke.

no more peace bro until you stop your nonsense and apologize mania. that was yesterday.

anyway, other TV bikes in Thailand forum users, i will not be posting such lengthy topics explaining bikes, test rides or any information. this is what i am thinking now just bc people like mania! you can thank him.

and maybe mania pulls his a..ss from his freshly laid eggs and go do test rides - if he got invited of course - and posts here with photos next time.

Edited by ll2

well dave, as..s burning and leg blistering heat i am sure not related with any expectation level! it burns or it does not.

this is what I thought with my Daytona mania justsohot becauseunderseat pipe but from talking with other owners the pipe position is not a problem it's the frame that heats up its a completely different feelling from just having the fan blowing heat onto you or feeling heat from the engine casing.

Speculation is that the heat is due to the positioning of one of the cylinders, which raises the temp of the frame.

I would doubt that the reports have anything to do with the brand- there aren't many people with a Panigale as their first motorcyçle (though no doubt there are some), and most are making comparisons to other bikes they've owned.

Again, some owners say it's no big deal- we'll have some first-hand reports soon enough.

Makes sense & that as I remember V twins always run hotter in the rear cylinder understandably.

Also the using the engine as a stressed frame member?

Anyway I guess we will hear soon enough wink.png

Edited by mania

Or using the frame as part of the cooling system? But i guess if this bike is a "real sportsbike" it doesnt matter at all. Its build for going fast while the rider is dressed in thick leather, not for city commuting in Bangkok dressed in shorts.

I am not a sportsbike fan but this bike looks so nice, even i would like to own one. Its a design classic. Guess i would park it in my living room wub.png

• Like 1

c'mon man!

speaking of derailing a thread, thanks for being sensitive on it but what about the thread that i opened abut ktm test rides and you and another ranter derailed mania? with the help of a couple of intuitive squids? so tell me who is wallowing and waffling?

and not only derailing and also trying to discredit me with strong words. what is the reason for that?

and still i believe you are the one waffling around and not sticking to the facts by trying to discredit me just bc some do things and kind enough to post reviews and photos about it and you just talk?

what i see here is, you get hard feelings over people here at times and assume things about them due to a mysterious reasons and hope you stop that.

brand loyalist my ass, if i am that brand loyalist, you will never see me test riding all ktm and mv agusta models 150 km away from my house which i needed to leave like 06:00 in the morning on sunday morning, or you never hear me posting things aboiut a benelli model honestly.

and again kissing as...ss of someone else. are you always like that man? wow

and speaking of drugs, just mind your tongue man. although you are joking, i believe not appropriate even as a joke.

no more peace bro until you stop your nonsense and apologize mania. that was yesterday.

anyway, other TV bikes in Thailand forum users, i will not be posting such lengthy topics explaining bikes, test rides or any information. this is what i am thinking now just bc people like mania! you can thank him.

and maybe mania pulls his a..ss from his freshly laid eggs and go do test rides - if he got invited of course - and posts here with photos next time.

You have really lost the plot man..[as polite as i can say this to you..]

• Like 2

If you still want to get a Termi Slip On with a value of around 90,000 THB (I reckon) for free when ordering this beautiful bike, you only have a few days left. Hurry up! thumbsup.gif

According to Ducati this special offer ends Sep 30.

http://www.ducatithailand.com/company/special_offers.do

Price of the Termis without import duties.

http://store.proitalia.com/termignoni-ducati-899-panigale-titanium-slip-on-exhaust

Edited by Nickymaster