Young girl survives 9 years after abandoned by ghost-fearing parents: Ubon Ratchathani

webfact

Fair points Tim Tang. I should have toned it down. Apologies.

This story touched me deeply so I am probably lacking perspective (I have a daughter we informally adopted from within our previously dirt-poor Thai family)

Not a problem! I appreciate you kind manner and I don't take anything personally on this site anyway. If this story is true I will be the first to renounce my skepticism, but I still remain suspicious because I've had 5 daughters and I can tell you that a THREE YEAR OLD would not survive the scenario that has been presented. You having a daughter yourself must realize that this story is a bit too much to believe. 5 years old...maybe! 3...not a chance.

You are not alone TimTang, I agree with everything you said except when you said "five years old". I would say much more than that even.

HL

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair points Tim Tang. I should have toned it down. Apologies.

This story touched me deeply so I am probably lacking perspective (I have a daughter we informally adopted from within our previously dirt-poor Thai family)

Not a problem! I appreciate you kind manner and I don't take anything personally on this site anyway. If this story is true I will be the first to renounce my skepticism, but I still remain suspicious because I've had 5 daughters and I can tell you that a THREE YEAR OLD would not survive the scenario that has been presented. You having a daughter yourself must realize that this story is a bit too much to believe. 5 years old...maybe! 3...not a chance.

You are not alone TimTang, I agree with everything you said except when you said "five years old". I would say much more than that even.

HL

Let me have another look at the "Tarzan" movie, then I'll get back to you. I'm not sure at what age a human could possibly fend for itself but it does intrigue me to find out if there is any evidence in the history of humanity that may legitimize this story. From my personal experience I would agree with you; even at 5 a child would be hard pressed to survive on it's own. Impossible I don't know; but THREE...not a chance.

Truly admire that little girl for putting up such a brave fight. She'll make it in life, not matter what.

As for the parents... I hope they will receive the punishment they deserve. What cowardly lowlifes! I am lost for words...

As for the parents... They believe in flesh eating ghosts and un-dead boogie men from the beyond. They have first hand accounts and photographic evidence to prove the girl was cursed. Many of the locals in the girl's village will be able to confirm sightings of the ghosts.

Sad, but true.

In Africa (there are YouTube/live-leak videos) parents who believe their children are possessed by the devil burn them alive.

And I would be willing to bet that these supposedly possessed children just happened to be unplanned and also promised to be a burden on the families resources. How convenient that they found a way to get rid of unwanted children by miraculously discovering that they are possessed.

• Like 1

Wasn't there another young boy with a similiar life in the news just recently. Can anyone find the link to his story. It's a shame she is now in the news, now that she is 12 someone will arrive shortly to kidnap and traffic her.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/745652-4-year-old-lahu-boy-found-living-alone-since-two-in-chiang-rai/

I posted an open letter to thaivisa about this and being here as long as I have a bit jaded so figure if thaivisa can checkout story setup a fund account for and we all adopt her as our own give back to Thailand more than Thailand given us I trust Thaivisa don't trust Thai's. Call it the it takes a village fund where anyone can donate too. Just 1 beer less a week guys. Would give this young lady her dream and you good Karma.

• Like 1

This from that story - and you may well wonder:

A search of the state database in Chiang Rai province revealed that Kae Khae did in fact have his own name; he was registered at birth in Lahu language as Ja-Ue Santhoh.

However, he abbot of Wat Huay Pla Kang, Phra Ajarn Phobchoke, said Kae Khae needed a new name because both his official and unofficial names may bring bad luck.

When he grows up, his old name, which is rooted in bad circumstances, will leave him scars," Phra Ajarn Phobchoke said. "But his new name should, more or less, bless him for a brighter future."

Well, perhaps prosecution and a sufficiently deterrent penalty on the so-called parents - and the witch doctor, if they can find him - might give the superstitious Thais pause for thought.

But then, when politicians are shackled by superstitious beliefs, what hope is there for the wider population?

MONARCHY
The King extends help to Ubon Ratchathani girl

Nila Singkhiri
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- His Majesty the King has graciously extended his help to a 12-year-old girl who had been fending for herself virtually all alone throughout the past several years.

The girl had lived alone in her village since her parents, accused of being cursed ghosts, were forced out of their village in Ubon Ratchathani's Sri Muang Mai district nine years ago.

The fourth grader at Baan Kum Ma Nai Rong Khae School managed to get by with help from her neighbours, free school meals and sheer determination to survive. After her case caught media attention, the royal help has arrived.

Distorn Vajarodaya, who chairs the Rajaprachanugroh Foundation, yesterday assigned the local branch of his foundation to pick up the girl who would be put under His Majesty's patronage.

His Majesty will give her scholarships until she completes her education at the highest level she is able to achieve.

The girl will start studying at the Rajaprachanugroh School 32 from August 25 onward.

Village headman Bunleu Sangchompoo recounted the incident to The Nation, saying that about nine years ago several villagers had mysteriously fallen ill and died. Later, when a shaman was called to look into the goings on, he claimed that the girl's father was a ghost and demanded that he leave the village immediately.

The girl's parents left that very night, dropping their daughter off at a house where she now lives, he said. The house she lives in was built by the tambon Na Lern Administrative Organisation.

The youngster said she has to wake up early every morning to clean a local shop and tend to a toddler or an old person in order to earn Bt5 or Bt10 in milk money for school.

While she usually skips breakfast, she is ensured a free lunch at school and even allowed to take some food home for dinner. The girl said she had been putting aside a few baht for her education.

"I want to be a doctor in a white gown when I grow up," the girl said excitedly.

Schoolteacher Chaveenut Pawang said that the young girl was quiet, diligent and always helped her teachers. However, she struggles with her studies.

"She tries to recite lessons and read by herself with a teacher's help. She keeps trying to help herself and doesn't ask for anybody's assistance. She also volunteers for work so she can earn something to put aside for her education. She has been giving her savings to her teacher to deposit in her Government's Saving Bank account, which now has some Bt600," the teacher said.

School director Srimoon Chuysuk is calling on people who would like to help to contact him via (089) 284 9860 at any time.

On Tuesday, Ubon Ratchathani governor Serm Chainarong presented the girl with Bt6,000 in assistance money.

The child will be put under the care of a youth and family welfare agency for an adjustment period before she is sent to Rajaprachanugroh School 32.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/The-King-extends-help-to-Ubon-Ratchathani-girl-30241453.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-21

• Like 2

primitive thai people believing in ghosts,spirits...poor child

It's not primitive how the country, especially in this area has developed. When parents tell their kids that there're ghosts around, they;ll believe them.

When we visit my father and mother in law out in the sticks I always have to use my horn three times, when arriving and leaving.

I had grade 12 students who believed in ghosts and I tried my best to change their mind. But then two younger men in a village got killed in road accidents.

The village heads and monks decided to kill all the black dogs, trunk a white towel with the dead dog's blood and nail it onto their huts, that the ghost couldn't get in to take more lives.

Straw puppies were also nailed on their huts : " Here're no young men in this house, dear ghost", while they painted boys' fingernails, to "fool" the ghost.

Different countries, different cultures. I remember what I'd learned in history about burning "witches" in Europe and other nonsense.

This story is not about primitive Thai people, it'a about weird guys who left their daughter alone.

Edited by lostinisaan

Tim Tang is right.

But also the news isn't very clear.

From this quote "According to those neighbors, Kiew, now 12, refuses to live with them because she’s afraid of being a burden."

She was abandoned by her parents at the age of 3. Then we continue to read, how she took care of herself and the jobs. But don't correlate those two together. Take it into different blocks.

Clearly story:

At the age of 3, her family abandoned her. She was left in the house crying and so on. Neighbors took care of her during this time. It is still officially true, she is abandoned without a guardian. During this time, when we became 5 years old, she would eat at the neighbors place, but return to her house to sleep. Because she would hope that her family would come back, if even one day, same with how you ditch your dog, he will be waiting there till you return.

As she grew older, probably age 7, she matures in life, and realizes her burden on the neighbors. She decides to start working, and paying for her food and school, because she is an individual angel. She does not want to live at other people's place anymore. From that point on, she spends most of her time at her own shack, instead of relying on neighbors. Possibly even refusing the invitation to eat at neighbors anymore.

It's easy to assume all of the stated news information happened ALL at the age of 3, but it isn't. It progresses and changes slowly through these years. Media language is deceiving.

I am very heartwarm of the King's action. Very noble and honorable. The foundation will be able to ensure that she gets the right money spent at the right places, and someone to look after her and possibly she can make friends now, since she will be in contact with more people. She will still face challenges now, life is not perfect, she will be discriminated by other kids, but her spirit will show others, how special she is as an individual. A role model for others, regardless of age in life.

However, the foundation only provides her with necessities, we could still all help out, if her account is indeed genuine. So she can enjoy the other "extras", normal kids enjoy in life. Chocolates, candies, etc. that foundation would not usually provide.

• Like 1

The Nation

"The girl had lived alone in her village since her parents, accused of being cursed ghosts, were forced out of their village in Ubon Ratchathani's Sri Muang Mai district nine years ago."

Coconuts

"Nine years ago the Ngogsuk family received the terrifying news. According to a local shaman, they were haunted by a rampaging, flesh-devouring ghost. The family hastily fled their village in rural Ubon Ratchathani. But not all of them."

"But ditching your 3-year-old girl in a shack out of fear she’s a ghost? That defies explanation."

And all this time, we thought the girl was the ghost.....

Next time, coconuts write, keep your coconut explanations to yourself, and just report news as it is.

• Like 1

It is great to see that the King is going to support her. She will now have a good life after the scumbag parents left her alone.

Well done your majesty and I bow to you as you are truly a magnificent human being,

• Like 2

I posted an open letter to thaivisa about this and being here as long as I have a bit jaded so figure if thaivisa can checkout story setup a fund account for and we all adopt her as our own give back to Thailand more than Thailand given us I trust Thaivisa don't trust Thai's. Call it the it takes a village fund where anyone can donate too. Just 1 beer less a week guys. Would give this young lady her dream and you good Karma.

If it was in a village fund the child would not receive a baht, The village elders would buy new Mercs and phones and this girl would be no better off.

• Like 2

Having read through all the posts there seems to be one common desire by all posters...that is to provide this poor girl with money to free her from this burden that has been placed on her.

This is starting to look more and more like a Nigerian scam to pull hearts strings so people will pump money into her bank account. Who set up her bank account and where is that money going.

It may be best to wait until it's proven that this is a legitimate story before you start sending money to some obscure bank account that was set up by WHO? So her parents abandoned her BUT they decided to set up a bank account. HOW CONVENIENT!!!

The King is scammed - shock horror.

Should have read the whole story-line before pushing the cynical button. at least the others stopped at scepticism.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Seems that you'll have to buy me a new keyboard, as I spit my coffee all over it, when reading your post. It's dead now.cheesy.gif

Having read through all the posts there seems to be one common desire by all posters...that is to provide this poor girl with money to free her from this burden that has been placed on her.

This is starting to look more and more like a Nigerian scam to pull hearts strings so people will pump money into her bank account. Who set up her bank account and where is that money going.

It may be best to wait until it's proven that this is a legitimate story before you start sending money to some obscure bank account that was set up by WHO? So her parents abandoned her BUT they decided to set up a bank account. HOW CONVENIENT!!!

The King is scammed - shock horror.

Should have read the whole story-line before pushing the cynical button. at least the others stopped at scepticism.

cheesy.gif:cheesy:cheesy.gif

Seems that you'll have to buy me a new keyboard, as I spit my coffee all over it, when reading your post. It's dead now.cheesy.gif

[unless you are now using another one or a smartphone of course] if your keyboard is dead, how did you write your latest post? wink.png

Ok I did some searching and this info seems to be the best so far.

Can I post this link? Sorry if it's not allowed.

https://www.facebook.com/UbonWanNi/photos/pb.377483335708310.-2207520000.1408413654./582773808512594/?type=1

The first comment on that picture has some telephone and some government savings account number. Could someone who can read thai, do some more verifying and if it's not a scam?

Hi,

The part on the Facebook page you refer to says:

Extra information: If any kind-hearted and generous people want to help Nong Kheeow (nickname), you can contact Mr Srimun Chuaisuk, headmaster at Ban Kham school, on tel no 0892849860. (The school is in an area not reached by mobile phone masts, so you can only phone in the morning and evening when the mobile phone will be reachable). You can also transfer money to the bank account of Miss Pisamai Ngawksuk (The girl's real name) at The Government Savings Bank, Sri Meuang Mai branch, Ubon Ratchathani, province, account no 020078909825.

The details of the girl's name and the headmaster's contact details in the above Facebook post match up with that given in this Matichon news story about the girl and her plight:

http://www.matichon.co.th/news_detail.php?newsid=1408413813 (19/08/14)

PS

Just came across this breaking news story on Nationstv that apparently the King, hearing of her plight has just arranged for her to be transferred to a children's home to be taken care of and also arranged for a scholarship for her to continue her studies. She'll start school on the 25th of this month.

http://breakingnews.nationtv.tv/home/read.php?newsid=732204 (21/08/14)

Nice end to a story. May still be an idea to donate for those that wish to.

If anyone is interested in helping kids whose outlook is almost as dire as Nong Kheeows' outlook was, (her third day at school today, under the Kings' sponsorship!) I can recommend the Hand to Hand Foundation in Pattaya. Founded by Margie, the aim of the foundation is to help keep families together instead of having kids sent off to an orphanage, when the family falls on hard times. They have a school in Duck Square for the little kids, for the older kids they provide scholarships to regular schools to pay school fees, & provide uniforms & food. A little bit goes along way with these scholarships - they range from 11,000 baht p.a., up to 15,000 p.a. for the older kids.