Hat Yai: Co-pilot of budget airline passes out during flight and later dies

webfact

LION AIR
Co-pilot of budget airline passes out during flight and later dies

BANGKOK: -- A co-pilot of a budget airline collapsed during flight after taking off from Hat Yai for about 20 minutes to Bangkok on Wednesday.

The pilot of Lion Air flight SL 8537 then made an emergency return to Hat Yai Airport and rushed him to a hospital. He was later pronounced dead at the hospital.

The co-pilot, a Dutch national, whose name was not revealed was later pronounced dead at the hospital. The flight had 152 passengers on board and all were safe.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Co-pilot-of-budget-airline-passes-out-during-fligh-30241361.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-20

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an airline I wont fly on either.

I met a guy & his wife at White Beer'd a few weeks ago.

It was about 11:30pm, he was very drunk and flying to Samui at 8:30 am the following morning.

Crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Co-pilot faints on flight to Don Mueang

BANGKOK: -- A co-pilot of Thai Lion Air fainted while on a flight from Hat Yai to Bangkok, forcing the pilot to return and make emergency landing at Hat Yai airport.

The Dutch co-pilot died later at the Prince of Songkhla University Hospital in Hat Yai.

The incident happened today on Flight SL 8537 from Hat Yai to Don Mueang airport on which 152 passengers and crew members were on board.

Twenty minutes after taking off from Hat Yai airport, the pilot noticed his co-pilot seated beside went unconsciously.

He immediately radioed the control tower at Hat Yai airport to prepare ambulance and seek emergency landing.

The plane landed safely and the Dutch co-pilot was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead afterwards.

It was immediately known the cause of his death.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/co-pilot-faints-flight-don-mueang/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-08-20

Copilot passes out midflight, dies
The Nation

30241407-01_big.jpg

HAT YAI: -- A co-pilot for budget airline Lion Air collapsed mid flight, 20 minutes after taking off from Hat Yai for Bangkok yesterday.

The pilot of flight SL 8537 returned to make an emergency landing at Hat Yai Airport so the copilot could be taken to hospital. However, the copilot - a Dutch national identified as Peter Esberte - was later pronounced dead at the hospital. The cause of the death was unknown as of press time.

The flight had 152 passengers on board and all were safe.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Copilot-passes-out-midflight-dies-30241407.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-08-21

Bagging Lion air? What about praising them for being able to land the plane safely while 50% of the landing team was having a heart attack at the controls?

In my small home town, a major industry is helicopters and fixed wing (smaller aircrafts). 20 years ago when I used to go out a lot I would always see pilots drunkingly sculling down their last pints and shots a few minutes before 10pm as they had to stick to the 8 hour dry before you fly rule as they all started flying at 6am. They were the people like the poster above who I would avoid.

• Like 2

It was about 11:30pm, he was very drunk and flying to Samui at 8:30 am the following morning.

Crazy.

Completely legal in the USA. Have to refrain from drinking only 8 hours prior to your flight. Some airlines however require 12 hours but law only requires 8.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I can not get into details here but lets put it nicely; Nok Air is not taking safety serious.

I would be curious, where can I search for information? how are they allowed to fly, are regulations too lax, or not enforced? I just got off a Nok flight an hour ago :-/ thanks

• Like 1

WOW - maybe I will give Lion Airlines a big miss. I wonder how old was the co-pilot. Sad end to his flying career.

I would say that being on a flight that ONE of the flight crew becomes incapacitated would be about as common as being on a flight that crashes. In fact, pilots have to have an ECG done at each medical, which depending on their age can be as often as every six months. It would be safe to say that a bus driver or taxi driver in Thailand would have had an ECG done far less often than a pilot, yet we enter these transport forms without batting an eye.

Air travel today is safer than it ever was. The unfortunate incident with MH17 was no fault of the air crew. The recent crash in Iran on the initial information appears to be aircraft fatigue / poor maintenance. Taiwan appears to be pilot judgement error. On the face of it all, any airline is facing the SAME risk in the flight deck with medical episodes. With the 10's of thousands of flights worldwide daily, pilot incapacitation is well below .01%.

However it is your money, and you are free to spend it on any mode of travel you wish.

This airline I would personally wait for further training and flight testing before I would hop on board. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2552460/Back-drawing-board-Kenyan-built-plane-bits-scrap-vows-try-flight-attempt-sees-steer-field-crash.html

What a very strange comments that people will NOT fly Lion Air because a pilot dies on the flight deck. What does this have to do with Lion Air.

Having said this I am aware off certain short comings in Lion Air but things are improving fast. They are a huge airline now Malindo/Batik/wings/Lion Thai/Lion. They have their own flight school, training center and simulators. Right now Thai Lion is a much safer airline to fly on than Nok Air. Unfortunately I can not get into details here but lets put it nicely; Nok Air is not taking safety serious.

P2F; yes I am aware of this; Ryanair comes to mind and many other airlines in the world... So if a pilot is willing to pay to fly why Lion Air can take those guys too,

LOL sounds like you have vested interest in Lion AIr....

9 serious incidents in only the past 13 years! with 25 recorded fatalities.....

work that one out Captain.. cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Crazy.

"Fresh as a rose" the next morning... some people can do it. Yet others cannot even walk straight unless they have their little dose. All a matter of habit. Plane finds its own way