What is Langkawi like these days?

Johnpound46

I was in (on?) Langkawi in September 1988. It was very quiet back then, I don't think I saw two other tourists for a whole week, my girlfriend and I were about the only ones. We stayed at a guesthouse in Kuah, forgot the name, it was run by a very nice Indian man, I think his name was mister Vellu, and his four sons. The guesthouse will probably be long gone by now. Went to the beach, went to Telaga Tujuh, rode around the whole island on a motorbike that we had rented from mister Vellu, and it was really a quiet and very nice week.

As I understand it, Langkawi is now almost always quite crowded with tourists, there are no more cheap guesthouses. Anyone been there recently? I'd love to get some recent info. Thanks.

From what I know when you enter into Malaysia your insurance is invalid you need to buy insurance on the border at immigration you should also by law show your Thai number plate in English and I understand that they immigration can be very strict on the depth of tinted windows on the vehicle having said all that I know of one or two people who have travelled into the country having done none of the above that I have mentioned hope this helps a little.

Can you compare with some faous places in Thailand ?

Is it more like Phuket or more like KOH PHANGAN or KOH CHANG ?

Thanks.

Simple answer. Nothing like any of these. Or at least not like they are now. This is a very different place, different culture. Let me put it this way, Penang ( next door) is a largely Chinese island. LK is a largely muslim island...but probably nowhere else in Malaysia are they so relaxed about this, duty free alcohol etc. However they keep it under control, hence the limit on beach bars etc, you can have a good time...don't go over the top. If your idea of a good time is partying with bar girls then forget it, this place is not for you. Should you fly into LK then the first thing you notice (or maybe not( is that the airport is surrounded by rice fields. The beach comes alive at about 5pm when the local kids come around and play football. Big island, very cheap car /bike hire. You want women, take your own, be aware Thai food limited.

Ps. If I had to compare it to a Thai island it would definitely be Koh Samui @ 1986-92.

Edited by roamer
  • Like 2

Langkawi is ok ... if you are muslim... or if you want duty free booze...

NO muslim, NO want duty free booze, BUT,

I like LANGKAWI! I bring my family, two boys (6 -10) or at least my GF with me, all OK. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Langkawi is ok ... if you are muslim... or if you want duty free booze...

NO muslim, NO want duty free booze, BUT,

I like LANGKAWI! I bring my family, two boys (6 -10) or at least my GF with me, all OK. thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Likewise. The duty free booze is a bonus. You can be a non-muslim teetotaller and still have a great time on a very picturesque and laid back island.

• Like 1

Langkawi is not for the typical "Thailand tourist".

too quiet, no "sanook", no girly-Bars, little to no nightlife.

but it makes for a VEEEEEEERY relaxed holiday. it is quite a big island and once you leave the few touristic beaches and travel inland or to the North, you feel like there is no tourism at all. sadly, the islands nicest beach by a margin (Tanjung Rhu, veeeeeery far away from all the other beaches as it is located on the Northern coastline) is now mostly inaccessible to the public, as two 5-star-resorts have somehow annexed it with the approval of local authorities.

and yes, as the island has Duty-free-status, alcohol, both at shops as well as in Resto's and Pubs is inexpensive.

Even those imported beers from Europe that cost an arm and a leg even in alco-friendly Thailand (let alone Malaysia) are very affordable ! ah, another ERDINGER HEFE WHEATBEER please !

oh, and car-rent is dead-cheap, for a small car you won't pay more than 50 RM (500 Baht) a day. a plethora of small car rent businesses await you at the arrival area at LGK airport, same at the jetty where the ferries from Malaysia Mainland and Thailand arrive.

but then again: it is VEEEEEERY quiet and certainly not for everyone

• Like 1

Langkawi is not for the typical "Thailand tourist".

too quiet, no "sanook", no girly-Bars, little to no nightlife.

but it makes for a VEEEEEEERY relaxed holiday. it is quite a big island and once you leave the few touristic beaches and travel inland or to the North, you feel like there is no tourism at all. sadly, the islands nicest beach by a margin (Tanjung Rhu, veeeeeery far away from all the other beaches as it is located on the Northern coastline) is now mostly inaccessible to the public, as two 5-star-resorts have somehow annexed it with the approval of local authorities.

and yes, as the island has Duty-free-status, alcohol, both at shops as well as in Resto's and Pubs is inexpensive.

Even those imported beers from Europe that cost an arm and a leg even in alco-friendly Thailand (let alone Malaysia) are very affordable ! ah, another ERDINGER HEFE WHEATBEER please !

oh, and car-rent is dead-cheap, for a small car you won't pay more than 50 RM (500 Baht) a day. a plethora of small car rent businesses await you at the arrival area at LGK airport, same at the jetty where the ferries from Malaysia Mainland and Thailand arrive.

but then again: it is VEEEEEERY quiet and certainly not for everyone

Yep. That's a pretty good sum up of Langkawi. Met a few "typical" Thailand tourists over the years deciding it wasn't their bag.For me it's a pretty perfect chill out place but as you say not for all.