8 Russian Tourists get more than an Off Road tour when brakes fail on 4 x 4 in Samui

webfact

8 Russian Tourists get more than an Off Road tour when brakes fail on 4 x 4 in Samui

4-x-4-smash-1.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- 8 Russian tourists travelling on a ‘Samui Off Road Mountain Tour’ vehicle got a bit more ‘Off Road’ than they planned for today when their jeep’s brakes failed.

The jeep was on its return journey on a steep downhill section of Soi 5 (Maenam) with a tight left turn at the bottom, when the brakes failed to work. The jeep driver attempted to make the turn at the bottom of the decline, but too much speed took the jeep skidding sideways off the road and some 10 metres into trees and bushes.

Samui Rescue teams from Bantai, BoPhut, and ByLaem rushed to the scene to help the tourists injured in the accident. In all, 8 Russians – most of them in their 50′s – were taken to Bangkok Hospital by the rescue ambulances.

All were suffering shock, and injuries – fortunately not considered serious – included cuts, abrasions and contusions, a possible broken arm, and possible broken ribs. One lady and gentleman – both in thier early 50s – also suffered cuts to their heads.

One of the rescue workers was heard saying that they ‘very lucky’ that the injuries were relatively minor.

Soi 5 in Maenam has seen more than its fair share of accidents involving jeep tour vehicles leaving the road after their brakes have failed on steep downhill sections. Invariably these incidents have resulted in numerous tourists being taken to hospital… their holiday on our ‘magical island’ ruined

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-08-21

Driving home up soi 5 at 4PM yesterday afternoon I passed 3 samui rescue trucks cominng down sirens on, heavy traffic going both ways.

A neighbour told me a safari truck had rolled down a ravine and that there were multiable serious injuries. Thats all I know.

These guys generally drive very fast I meet them going home every afternoon the people sitting on the top don't appear to have seatbelts on.

A couple of years ago one hit my neighbours house after driving too fast and missing the turn. There were very serious injuries especially the upper riders who were propelled into a brick wall at high speed.

One of the rescue workers was heard saying that they ‘very lucky’ that the injuries were relatively minor.

He should have said they where very unlucky with the brakes .....

It seems that the garage people make your horn louder if they can't fix the brakes ....

Time for inspection on all Thai vehicles older than 5 years is in order, and no under the table money for a positive card !!!

The only way out of this mess

wai.gif

• Like 1

Notice that the truck has seats on the roof, and that passengers sitting there usually do not wear seatbelts. I wonder what happens to people sitting there if the brakes actually work and the driver breaks hard, or if the truck rolls over.

Passengers in the back or the roof do not have seat belts.

Knowing these roads, they are very steep, and rough in spots, especially coming down Soi 5 but the road coming up from Lamai is steep and much rougher when the head to the Lamai Big Buddha Temple, where some stop for lunch........and daily use of them should require a regular vehicle inspection especially the brakes. (Perhaps weekly or monthly at most)

Slowing down would be good too, far to many drive too fast both on narrow Sois and the ring road facepalm.gif

One company has a fleet of new vehicles this year I have noticed... but some others are not looking in the best of condition ..... Safety concerns over profit comes to mind.... sad.png

Lucky for the tourists on that truck, that they were not more seriously hurt... wink.png

• Like 1

Why oh why can they not slow down through the gears it is so easy, all the drivers know is how to start vehicles, excilerat and brake, that's it. I am from New Zealand and we have so many mountain roads,coming down most of these I very really brake as I choose a low gear to come down.

• Like 2

Knowing these roads, they are very steep, and rough in spots, especially coming down Soi 5 but the road coming up from Lamai is steep and much rougher when the head to the Lamai Big Buddha Temple, where some stop for lunch........and daily use of them should require a regular vehicle inspection especially the brakes. (Perhaps weekly or monthly at most)

Slowing down would be good too, far to many drive too fast both on narrow Sois and the ring road facepalm.gif

One company has a fleet of new vehicles this year I have noticed... but some others are not looking in the best of condition ..... Safety concerns over profit comes to mind.... sad.png

Lucky for the tourists on that truck, that they were not more seriously hurt... wink.png

How about more 'I'm not getting in that!' upon seeing a clapped out MOT failure or drunk/yabbad up driver, particularly from parents with children.

Half of these trucks are not road worthy.

Half of those roads are not truck worthy!smile.png

Then don't drive on them wink.png , island safaris they are meant to off road ? I think so.

• Like 1

I often have seen these guys driving like kamikazes, up and down these hills. They are unskilled drivers, mostly, and have little regard for their passengers. At least with the kamikaze pilots they were alone. These guys are driving around a whole group of tourists. Same goes for the mini van drivers. Really, the issue here is traffic safety, and the absolute and complete absence on the part of the police. They completely refuse to have anything to do with traffic safety on Samui. They are completely absent on the job. Maybe not enough revenue in it for them? For whatever reason, part of the reason why drivers are so terribly irresponsible on Samui, has to be the responsibility of the police. If there were awake, and at least pretending to be alive and well, and competent, so many lives would be saved. The military drastically needs to slap these clowns around.

• Like 1

Often, "brake failure" is stated as the cause of the crash here. I think over half the time it is just an excuse for reckless driving, going too fast, not using engine braking, applying the brakes too hard and skidding, not taking account of road conditions (e.g. sand, water, etc.). The driver often wants to avoid the blame and any consequences stemming from that of his driving causing the crash.

Does anyone ever check if the "brakes failed"? Or is a payment to the police sufficient for the police to accept this unlikely version of events as gospel?

Not sure which company it was but one of these trucks (full of tourists) came fully on my side of the road at high speed along the road just past replay condo. I had to swerve off the road... Seems these guys are the up there as some of the worst drivers on samui... Surely their companies get bad reviews for this sort of reckless driving on sites like tripadvisor ?!