(The Puzzle) That's Why..

PimonratC

whistling.gif

From The Flatbed Sutra of Louie Wing

On the authentic path of Zen, your own particular manifestation here and now, that is, your present body and mind is not to be abandoned, ground down, and overcome, but to be fully actualized. The great scholar, mythologist, and bodhisattva (enlightening being) Joseph Campbell, referred to this actualization of your own true nature as becoming transparent to transcendence. The realm of life and death or samsara is itself the realm of joyous serenity or nirvana. The quiet and peaceful experience of emptiness becomes a dark, uneventful cave of death for those who turn their backs on the world of the myriad things and cultivate dispassion for the flowers of emptiness.

---------------

For those with the bright seeing clarity of the true Buddha eye the 10,000 Myriad Objects are no barrier, but the true path to understanding.

--------------------------

Did you understand that answer to your puzzle?

xcowboy.gif.pagespeed.ic.OqunRvp1aP.png

On the authentic path of Zen, your own particular manifestation here and now, that is, your present body and mind is not to be abandoned, ground down, and overcome, but to be fully actualized. The great scholar, mythologist, and bodhisattva (enlightening being) Joseph Campbell, referred to this actualization of your own true nature as becoming transparent to transcendence. The realm of life and death or samsara is itself the realm of joyous serenity or nirvana. The quiet and peaceful experience of emptiness becomes a dark, uneventful cave of death for those who turn their backs on the world of the myriad things and cultivate dispassion for the flowers of emptiness.

I don't understand the final sentence. It's suggesting that "Mr Blue" (in the "puzzle") has turned his back and is experiencing "a dark, uneventful cave" ?

I'd prefer to experience "flowers of emptiness" rather than "a dark, uneventful cave".

Is that how Buddhists generally feel? Do they want to withdraw into a cave-like void ?

Edited by RandomSand

wind-breathing-2-18-2.png

Feel of moonlight starlight and the sky.
All the wind blow by, the air that moving.
They were never mine and never for anything.
What about this breath ?
There is no me in the air that moving.
There is no me in this breathing.
Just something that happening changing and passing.
Just like this breathing.
Just like the wind.

Rumi, Thief of Sleep: Quatrains from the Persian. Foreword by Deepak Chopra. Hohm Press.

Love is from the infinite, and will remain until eternity.
The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.
Tomorrow, when resurrection comes,
The heart that is not in love will fail the test.
From Thief of Sleep
by Shahram Shiva
When your chest is free of your limiting ego,
Then you will see the ageless Beloved.
You can not see yourself without a mirror;
Look at the Beloved, He is the brightest mirror.
From Thief of Sleep
by Shahram Shiva
Edited by RandomSand

I don't understand the final sentence. It's suggesting that "Mr Blue" (in the "puzzle") has turned his back and is experiencing "a dark, uneventful cave" ?

I'd prefer to experience "flowers of emptiness" rather than "a dark, uneventful cave".

Is that how Buddhists generally feel? Do they want to withdraw into a cave-like void ?

-----------------------

No, not all do.

Unfortunately there are those who may.

It is like the glass of water that is either half-empty or half-full ..... whichever way you see it.

Some Buddhists unfortunately see it as a dark cave to withdraw into, a place to hide in ritual and shun the world.

That's why I added the last line:

For those with the bright seeing clarity of the true Buddha eye the 10,000 Myriad Objects are no barrier, but the true path to understanding.

The quiet and peaceful experience of emptiness becomes a dark, uneventful cave of death for those who turn their backs on the world of the myriad things and cultivate dispassion for the flowers of emptiness.

Ahh... I think what's being said is; There is no Nirvana (to be found in meditation) for the one who (in meditation) turns their back on the world (via meditation).

Am I reading this correctly ?

Edited by RandomSand

whistling.gif

---------------

--------------------------

Did you understand that answer to your puzzle?

xcowboy.gif.pagespeed.ic.OqunRvp1aP.png

who has declared this to be so?

samsara is one thing ...and Nirvana is not

flowery words...inventing an excuse not to bother meditating

I have never studied Zen ...but it looks to me that this sutra is an invention.

I have never studied Zen ...but it looks to me that this sutra is an invention.

The Flatbed Sutra of Louie Wing: The Second Ancestor of Zen in the West -Paperback– 21 Jun 2009

by Ted Biringer(Author)

Following a life-altering event, Ted Biringer experienced "the source of authority" behind the teachings of the great Zen masters.

Biringer created Louie Wing to personify the true nature of your mind: "the mystery, wonder, and infinite potential of the unnamable dimensionless void."

Louie, a 6'6" farmer of Italian ancestry, unloaded a shipment of berries and then stumbled into self-realization. His autobiography closely parallels the famous autobiography chapter in The Platform Sutra of Huineng, except that it includes locations such as Seattle and names such as Donna and Daniel.

Louie's autobiography, like every chapter that follows, is packed with unpackings, pointings, uncoverings, questions, acknowledgements of truth, revelations of meaning, koans, and instructions. If you love Zen, if you love expressions of truth regardless of the tradition, you will be enriched by Louie Wing.

Edited by RandomSand

• 2 weeks later...
The quiet and peaceful experience of emptiness becomes a dark, uneventful cave of death for those who turn their backs on the world of the myriad things and cultivate dispassion for the flowers of emptiness.

That's an interesting concept. I've often been intrigued by this practice of isolating oneself in a cave with no human contact, and being just with oneself, to analyse one's own thoughts without interruption, far removed from the constant hustle and bustle of everday activity.

I imagine it as a period without distraction; an opportunity to plumb depths not possible whilst living in normal society.

However, The Flatbed Sutra of Louie Wing seems to have put a damper on this process, and on this entire forum, judging from recent activity. wink.png