Baby hurt as car ploughs into Phuket clothing store

webfact

Baby hurt as car ploughs into Phuket clothing store
Darawan Naknakhon

1408610285_1-org.jpg
The car wrecked the clothing store from end to end.

PHUKET: -- A five-month-old baby was injured this morning when an out-of-control Toyota car rammed into a clothing store.

The car hit a motorcycle, then crashed off the road, snapping a water pipe before crashing through the glass door of the shop, then ploughing onward through the store, stopping only when it reached the far end.

Police were told that 54-year-old Somsong Tirabatjek was overtaking a three wheeler on her motorbike on Yaowarat Rd when she was hit by the car, which was coming in the opposite direction.

The car driver then lost control and crashed into the Pumpui Apple clothing shop.

Ms Somsong had facial injuries and was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for treatment. The baby, suffering from head injuries, was taken to Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

The Toyota driver, who was not named, was taken for questioning by police.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/baby-hurt-as-car-ploughs-into-phuket-clothing-store-47971.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-08-21

It doesn't say where the baby was, in the store, on the motorbike or in the car. I remember once riding with a woman who's 4 yo was standing on the front seat banging on the air bag . When I mentioned how the child could be killed in a number of ways doing this, I was told to not worry so much. Safety just doesn't really exist and I wish more tourists were made aware of this- they are like lambs to a slaughter ..

"Police were told that 54-year-old Somsong Tirabatjek was overtaking a three wheeler on her motorbike on Yaowarat Rd when she was hit by the car, which was coming in the opposite direction." This means that 54-year-old Somsong Tirabatjek is responsible for this accident. She were overtaking when she had oncoming traffic. What is the problem? Thai traffic culture ?

• Like 1

Let's see, no child safety seat because cheaper to just hold baby on lap while driving.

Let's see, TV reader jumping to conclusions without knowing any of the facts.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

It doesn't say where the baby was, in the store, on the motorbike or in the car.

I often have to read these reports three times to understand what actually did happen and to whom. Somehow the reporters logic is different than mine when it comes to describing events like this.

I can only assume that the baby was with the motorbike as the baby was mentioned just after Ms Somsong "Ms Somsong had facial injuries and was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital for treatment. The baby, suffering from head injuries, was taken to Bangkok Hospital Phuket."

Let's see, no child safety seat because cheaper to just hold baby on lap while driving.

Let's see, TV reader jumping to conclusions without knowing any of the facts.

Based on the colour of the car, I'd say it's clearly a case of self-acceleration.

• Like 1

Safety is not a word understood in Thailand.

My G/F's niece was driving her m/bike with her young son standing in front of her resting his hands on the handlebars, when she had to stop suddenly.

The boy pitched forward and smashed his front teeth, actually breaking them off just above the gumline, and she and her family thought this was hilarious, despite the poor lad sobbing his heart out.

I hope the baby recovers and this mess is sorted out.

Drivers, passengers, pedestrians, shoppers, workers, etc., are all in danger of being injured or killed by erratic, poorly qualified, oblivious and intoxicated drivers.

Some suggestions:

Look four ways when crossing the street (yes, I've had scooters come up from behind me on the sidewalk) and continue looking while you are crossing.

Consider where you sit when visiting a venue near the street. Try not to be an easy target for the car out of control..

Wear you seat belt and require your passengers do the same.

Chat with your motorcy driver, before you commit, to see if he/she has been drinking. I've begged off a couple of times when my driver was slurring his speech.

Wear your helmet and fasten the chin-strap.

Don't be paranoid. Be smart.

Safety is not a word understood in Thailand.

My G/F's niece was driving her m/bike with her young son standing in front of her resting his hands on the handlebars, when she had to stop suddenly.

The boy pitched forward and smashed his front teeth, actually breaking them off just above the gumline, and she and her family thought this was hilarious, despite the poor lad sobbing his heart out.

Sad story, poor lad, silly family.

Kids as passengers on motorcycles, without helmets, on laps, in arms; babies and small kids standing and not in car seats; 10-12 year olds driving cycles; cops riding around with unhelmeted passengers; seat belts not working or absent; the list is endless.

Small wonder that Thailand rates in the top echelon of traffic related deaths.

I love Thailand, but not the lack of safety awareness.

• Like 1

Who is going to be the first poster to retract all of their crap posts? The baby was asleep in the shop. not on the ,motorbike with twenty family members drunk and whacked out on yaba, or in the car without a helmet, seatbelt, babyseat and unlicensed. It was in shop asleep as babies are wont to do even in totally out of control countries such as Thailand.

HINT - read the full article before you post.

• Like 2

^ I agree the assumptions are remarkable but I don't see where it says in the article where the baby was.

Another source, a blog has it a 5 year old child.

We really should have a comparison thread where the three main sources are held to what they print. Who would get it right and who would get it wrong most of the time ?

^ I agree the assumptions are remarkable but I don't see where it says in the article where the baby was.

We really should have a comparison thread where the three main sources are held to what they print. Who would get it right and who would get it wrong most of the time ?

The origiinal news source has updated the article. If you would have read that before you posted you would have had that information.

The origiinal news source has updated the article. If you would have read that before you posted you would have had that information.

However as I hadn't read it, and isn't posted on the thread, I'm posting my comment based on the article that is in thread and had the assumptions made about it.

However as I hadn't read it, and isn't posted on the thread, I'm posting my comment based on the article that is in thread and had the assumptions made about it.

So you're posting based on old information, and since you read the thread as well you know the information you're posting is based on is outdated. But I guess this information suits you better than the correct, up to date information.