Second fatal stabbing in Samui's popular Chaweng area

webfact

There is certainly a lot of very bad news coming out of Samui lately. The thing is Thais flip out far worse than a farang does in a confrontation. The situation of the German being murdered by 3 Thai youths is just such an example. In that case in UK or a simllar country you wouldn't dare sit on somebody elses motorbike in the first place. If you did the owner would be shouting at you agressivly pretty quickly. You would jump off in a flash and say sorry mate and hope the owner doesn't pursue you. Here a Thai loses face and has to prove his man hood, so he kills the German.

As for this story, yes it could have happened anywhere, two brothers have a problem with each other.

I was in Samui 20 years ago and just 6 weeks ago also, I loved it and found no agression anywhere. (I was only there a week though.) Still a nice place to go for me.

• Like 2

Reading the article AGAIN, where did it say Meth had any part in this fight and killing between 2 brothers??? I guess you just assumed that, and we all know the meaning of assume, or do you?? And no mention of alcohol, but probably when you saw BOTTLE, you automatically assumed gain?

I do agree the killer looks strange, but hell on a bad day I look worse than him.

Same shit in Phuket after 9 yrs here ive seen it all and hate the island life..2 more moth and were off up north away from the village idiots.

FYI ~ You'll not escape the village idiots, by moving north. They're everywhere. The best advice( in rapidly ASEAN changing Thailand) is to wai.gif to every Thai. Keep all contacts with Thais (everywhere, these days), simple, polite and very, very distant, if you're wise. whistling.gif

Speaking only of Chaweng, but during my last 2 visits I got the impression it was more of a sh*thole than both Patong and Pattaya. It seemed to me like all the scum who were even to low for the 2 aforementioned cities had relocated there. Sad, as 15 years ago it was a quite lovely.

That's some achievement to be shittier and attract scummier scum than in those places. Shame really, as Samui 15-20 years back was a lovely place.

It still is, apart from the odd 'No-go' area applied by many that live here.

I agree with you evadgib. Samui is a great place to live.

I am in my 15th year on Samui and I have never even seen a fight (apart from the occasional verbal with construction workers working late at night).

Unlicensed riding of motorbikes aside - wifey and I feel that Samui has to be one of the safest places. Mind you, we don't take drugs nor do we go out drinking until the sun rises.

More than 40 years ago - in my home town in the UK, I was often 'offered a fight' on a Friday night when walking home from the pub or the chippy. Samui is a kindergarten compared to that!

And as for the 'it used to be paradise 20 years ago' brigade - get a life people. Nowhere is the same after 20 years of development. Wifey and I were married on a beach in the Seychelles 25 years ago. Stunning place. Absolutely beautiful. We went back 15 year later - not the same of course. Loads of new hotels and development. Still stunning though.

A friend of mine was fed up with Samui when they started putting deck chairs and tables on Choengmon beach, so he built a house on a near-deserted beach in Sril Lanka. Guess what. Two years later they have built a new International airport less than 20 kilometers away, and they are now building a motorway to the area.

Fact of life. If you think that a place is great - so will lots of others - and it will definitely change. Move with the times or keep moving on. Progress will catch up with you. Sadly, there are also a few undesirable elements that follow progress

Agree with all of the above - I visit (holiday) Samui because I have family there, I choose to live in Issan - cheaper, quieter, gentle people. I also chose to live on a boat 12 years ago in the UK - why? apart from the financial advantages - if the neighbors piss me off I lift anchor and move - why? OK 1'm not afraid to speak my mind or face down some aggressivexxxx - but experiance shows that winning the argument or the fight is not necessarily the end of the affair - nowadays a lot of people do not play fair, so unless you are prepared to bury the problem (literally) ...... move onward and upward. And don't get shitfaced after 2.00am unless you're at home.................

Edited by Rooo
profanity
  • Like 1

Chaweng has never been a nice place. It has been run by the Thai island mafia all along. It was built with no thought to infrastructure. I lived there nearly 20 years ago and I can tell you it was never nice. I did like the lady boy show at the time however.

Speaking only of Chaweng, but during my last 2 visits I got the impression it was more of a sh*thole than both Patong and Pattaya. It seemed to me like all the scum who were even to low for the 2 aforementioned cities had relocated there. Sad, as 15 years ago it was a quite lovely.

honeymooned there 25yrs ago,lovely behond my dreams nearly went back in 2003 to look for land.what a mistake that would have been.what is happening here in Thailand,the past 20yrs has led to tooooooooo many flat bums who have just reaped the rewards and done NOTHING.

You are clearly being irrationally influenced by the "nay sayers" on this forum. I first came to Samui 11 years ago and two years later bought land and built houses to rent for my Wife. We enjoy going out at night, mainly to restaurants and yes The Nori is one of our favourite Indian Restaurants with a lovely and very welcoming owner. We also pop in to places like the Solo Bar, or Bodi Bar (but not Ark Bar which we find incredibly boring) and have never ever had a problem. I strongly recommend you take your blinkers off and have a look at what is happening in other so called devloped Countries - for instance, yet more riots in USA! Stabbings galore in the UK and so on. I feel far safer here than in the aforementioned Countries and hope to stay until I happily turn up my toes.

A lot of the negative comments will come from ppl who have never been there. I totally agree with yours and Trop's post. Having been there 7 times I felt safe at every hour of the day and night, much more so in Samui than home in Sydney.

It all comes down to perspective, based upon life experience. Having grown-up in Chicago, Sydney is considerably more safe than (smiling faces, w/ a knife (at the ready) hidden behind their backs) Samui, Patong, Pattaya, and ghetto neighborhood mentality Bangkokians. The difference between a wise man, and a fool, is simple. The arrogant, know-it-all fool has to learn everything the hard way.You've been lucky, Aussie! Count your blessings. If I could afford the living costs of Sydney, then I would definitely be there, instead whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

my wife's advice to bring our family up on the main land rather than on koh samui is looking more and more prophetic by the day

insanity the last few days, 2 stabbings and home made bombs

Come on you are forgetting the thousands of people that don't have problems

Any part of the world this can happen even the mainland

So if this the mentality of people here

He moment something happens in the news they move

Going to be moving allot then

• Like 2

my wife's advice to bring our family up on the main land rather than on koh samui is looking more and more prophetic by the day

dont be a <deleted> we didnt move because we read a headline we moved because the general atmosphere has become more and more toxic over the last 10 years. the rate of both violent and petty crime, particularly burglary has soared and we became sick and tired of living in "birdcages" to feel safe and secure our valuables. the village we lived on had over 20 burglaries in one year alone <deleted>

moving to hua hin has been a breath of fresh air, although not perfect we feel far safer and rarely hear of crime in the expat community. i'm not dissing samui, it is what it is but it is a far cry from when we first moved there 10 years ago

Chaweng has an ugly beach ,(they put rocks out as a break water ) .I much prefer Lamai ,which has also a more low key night life.

Are you talking about the natural and protected reef at the northern end of Chaweng around Ark Bar? It's great when people with as much knowledge as you contribute to the debate biggrin.png

Good luck finding even a single rock in the water at the main stretch of Chaweng Beach.

Chaweng beach is where I fell in love with Thailand. That was 2006.

Went back to Chaweng last year for a few days, it is much more built up now which was a tad disapointing.

Jb1

dont be a we didnt move because we read a headline we moved because the general atmosphere has become more and more toxic over the last 10 years. the rate of both violent and petty crime, particularly burglary has soared and we became sick and tired of living in "birdcages" to feel safe and secure our valuables. the village we lived on had over 20 burglaries in one year alone

moving to hua hin has been a breath of fresh air, although not perfect we feel far safer and rarely hear of crime in the expat community. i'm not dissing samui, it is what it is but it is a far cry from when we first moved there 10 years ago

Don't be so nave just because u don't hear about it don't mean it ain't happening

Anyway it's your choice but now is a busy season

More people more crime

I feel save hear so to me that's all that matters

I have been burgled and

Had a few minor problems but I have been burgled in England also Bangkok and pattaya

For my hua hin is too boring

Got to take the rough with the smooth

Saying that I shall probably jinked myself and get run over and shot now but until then ...

• Like 2

That's some achievement to be shittier and attract scummier scum than in those places. Shame really, as Samui 15-20 years back was a lovely place.

It still is, apart from the odd 'No-go' area applied by many that live here.

I agree with you evadgib. Samui is a great place to live.

I am in my 15th year on Samui and I have never even seen a fight (apart from the occasional verbal with construction workers working late at night).

Unlicensed riding of motorbikes aside - wifey and I feel that Samui has to be one of the safest places. Mind you, we don't take drugs nor do we go out drinking until the sun rises.

More than 40 years ago - in my home town in the UK, I was often 'offered a fight' on a Friday night when walking home from the pub or the chippy. Samui is a kindergarten compared to that!

And as for the 'it used to be paradise 20 years ago' brigade - get a life people. Nowhere is the same after 20 years of development. Wifey and I were married on a beach in the Seychelles 25 years ago. Stunning place. Absolutely beautiful. We went back 15 year later - not the same of course. Loads of new hotels and development. Still stunning though.

A friend of mine was fed up with Samui when they started putting deck chairs and tables on Choengmon beach, so he built a house on a near-deserted beach in Sril Lanka. Guess what. Two years later they have built a new International airport less than 20 kilometers away, and they are now building a motorway to the area.

Fact of life. If you think that a place is great - so will lots of others - and it will definitely change. Move with the times or keep moving on. Progress will catch up with you. Sadly, there are also a few undesirable elements that follow progress

" in my home town in the UK, I was often 'offered a fight' on a Friday night when walking home from the pub or the chippy" I come from a small Northern town in the UK, and Friday/Saturday nights the main street is more like Dodge City than Dodge City! So things ain't changed much, except now you are "offered a fight" by a gang, and a refusal always offends!!! To my friends back in Blighty who ask "Do you feel safe in Thailand?", I give the same answer as Tropicalevo - 15 years here and I've never seen a fight yet, and I do enjoy a late drink myself sometimes. Maybe I'm lucky, or just don't go to the wrong places!.

• Like 1

That's true. The first 2 times I visited, I stayed in Chaweng, but the place is noisy and crowded. Not what I want for my vacation. Last time, I stayed on white sand beach (north shore). Much better. Hey, it's a big island. No need to stay in Chaweng.

• Like 2

Might be getting a few dregs of society moving over from Pooket while there is army presence there.About time they gave Samui a visit

I saw circa 12 army and police making their presence know at Fishermans Village on saturday evening. They looked impressive.

A google search shows there were 29513 recorded stabbings in the year to June 2012 in the UK. Just recorded stabbings.

Samui feels far, far safer.

This was a tragic family issue. R.I.P.

• Like 1