MPT set to announce price war with Ooredoo

DagonKhan

MPT set to announce price war with Ooredoo

State-owned telecom operator Myanma Posts and Telecommunications (MPT) is planning to reduce its local calling rates per minute, according to sources from the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.

Initial reports say MPT is preparing to cut its per-minute rates from Ks 50 to Ks 20, or lower.

MPT currently charges Ks 50 per minute for local calls from 7am to 11pm and Ks 25 per minute from 11pm to 7am.

The move is regarded as a response to the debut of a rival in the market, Ooredoo Myanmar, and a second next month, Myanmar Telenor, which analysts say is likely to pose the biggest immediate threat as it will offer both a 2G and 3G network, allowing it to expand its coverage area at a faster pace than Ooredoo, which has only a 3G network.

Full story here: http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7290:mpt-set-to-announce-price-war-with-ooredoo&catid=33:business&Itemid=356

• Like 1

Excellent - bring it on!

(and also bring on working and reliable infrastructure, lets not have Yangon become like Jakarta where I recently experienced just how bad & congested a city's mobile networks can be) smile.png

I couldn't agree more.

I'm confused as to what is happening though. Right now I have two phones from "MPT", one is GSM and that is MPT 100% I believe, the other is WCDMA and is MEC, which I understand is Myanmar Economic Corporation. I've heard all sorts of stories about who MPT is tied up with providing it's GSM/WCDMA service that I'm no longer sure which is which! Add into that the recent news about the Japs investing US$2bn and I'm wondering what the deal is.

Ultimately I don't really care as long as I get a good service at a cheap price. Got to stop typing as this is all costing me Ks2/minute....thumbsup.gif

• Like 1