Briton on holiday in Thailand catches 10 stone carp using a piece of bread

Lite Beer

Briton on holiday in Thailand catches 10 stone carp using a piece of bread

ten-stone-carp-300x202.jpg

BANGKOK: -- After battling for almost an hour with his hands gripped to his rod and adrenaline pumping through his body, a British tourist has caught the world’s biggest Siamese carp – weighing the same as a person.

Andy Harman, from Reigate, Surrey, finally reeled in the whopping 10st 6lbs fish while on holiday in Thailand – after he had it on the line for an exhausting 50 minutes.

The keen angler, who was holidaying at the idyllic three-acre Palm Tree Lagoon fishing resort in Ratchaburi, used the simple bait of bread to lure the mammoth fish in – followed by a huge amount of patience and muscle work.
At 150lbs, the monster weighed in at 16lbs heavier than the previous record , which, strangely, was also caught by someone from Surrey on holiday in Thailand.

Keith Williams, of Carshalton, got the perfect 56th birthday present when he caught a 134lb carp at Gillham’s fishing resort in Krabi.
Mr Harman told GoFishing.co.uk: ‘It was eventually netted via a rectangular arapaima cage as it was too big for a landing net.

‘It beat my previous Siamese carp best of 84lbs and although it is bigger than the current IGFA [international Game Fish Association] record I’m not going to be putting a claim in as I’m currently fishing for one believed to be even bigger at another venue that to date has not been landed before.
After posing for a few obligatory photos with his prize, Mr Harman released the giant carp safely back into the water.

Mr Harman is the former winner of prestigious angling award the Drennan Cup, and is very used to tackling monstrous – in 2012 he landed a 450lb arapaima from Bung Sam Ran Lake, also in Thailand.

A former British barbel record holder, he now lives in Australia, and travels all over Thailand in search of the world’s biggest catches.

ten-stone-carp-1-300x200.jpg

In 2011 he succeeded in catching Thailand’s holy trinity of fish – a Siamese carp, a Mekong catfish and an arapaima – during a three-day excursion.
Siamese carp are the largest species of carp, and are only found in the Mae Klong, Mekong and Chao Phraya river basins.

They are among the largest freshwater fish in the world, and can weigh up to an enormous 660lbs, though it is believed none that large currently exist.

They make a tasty meal, which means their numbers have declined rapidly.

Because they are so popular for both food and fishing, they have been deliberately stocked in lakes for centuries, and are farmed all over Asia.

The European world record carp weighed in at 101lb 4oz, and was reeled in in Hungary in 2012 by Austrian angler Roman Hanke. In Europe only common carp and mirror carp are counted as world record fish.

CARP RECORDS AROUND THE WORLD

World record: 101lbs 4oz, caught by Roman Hanke in 2012 in Hungary
England: 67lbs 140z, caught by Ozz Holness in 2008
Germany: 91lbs 4oz, caught by Mario Winnekes in 2012
Italy: 76lbs, caught by Massimo Mantovani in 2006
Romania: 82lbs 3oz, caught by Christian Baldemair in 1998

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2014-08-22

• Like 2

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"...the idyllic three-acre Palm Tree Lagoon fishing resort"

"After posing for a few obligatory photos with his prize, Mr Harman released the giant carp safely back into the water."
cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif
This is no big feat.
These fish are confined in shallow small ponds to be caught over and over again.
Granted, he caught a big one. But, this is by no means a wild game fishing expedition.
You pay for a photo-op.
It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Gimme a break...

Really? And here I was thinking what a decent sportsman he was, to have released the fish after finally catching it. huh.png

• Like 2

Is he from surrey or Australia? In the beginning it says he is from surrey and then towards the end of the article he is from Australia.

Probably born in Surrey but now living in Australia.

So how much do these fish weigh in real terms, ie Kg.

What is a stone apart from something you throw at dogs?

They are quoting the imperial weights, ounces, pounds, stones, hundred weights, tons. Go on Google when you want to learn things.

• Like 1

clap2.gif

Speak in kgs, please, I am lazy to convert ( stones and pounds mean nothing to me )

Are you too lazy to google "conversion pound kg" and enter a value?

post-91253-0-49530700-1408764872_thumb.j

Stone is a measurement used in the Stoneage in GB and Scottland. The rest of the world since adopted Kilos and Pounds.

As has UK but the good all USofA still insist on Pounds and miles and Deg F.

sorry but IMHO catching fish at some tiny over stocked dam managed and controlled for the sole purpose of fishing tourism simply doesn't count, taking your kid there to teach them fishing is one thing, counting World records is another all together. Personally I couldn't think of a worse way to go fishing.

...battling for almost an hour with his hands gripped to his rod and adrenaline pumping through his body...

I used to do that when I was young, how come I never caught anything?
It's only when someone else does that to you do you run then risk of catching something :) Edited by Absolut

I understand where you are coming from.....it's an age thing

I'll tell you in exchange for you telling me how many kiliograms there are to a mile.tongue.png

Edited by Tanlic

...battling for almost an hour with his hands gripped to his rod and adrenaline pumping through his body...

I used to do that when I was young, how come I never caught anything?

I fought some flak when my mom walked in on me once.

Always remember: the other sock is for the doorknob on the outside.

T

• Like 1

Yes it is strange how people,particularly the Brits, seem to be averse to metrication. Shopping in a grocers in England is a laugh, where were these people educated, this is basic stuff after all. The youngsters may be wizzes on their iPhones etc, but regrettably their awareness about everyday matters is sadly lacking. I forgive the oldies, but only just.

Yes it is strange how people,particularly the Brits, seem to be averse to metrication. Shopping in a grocers in England is a laugh, where were these people educated, this is basic stuff after all. The youngsters may be wizzes on their iPhones etc, but regrettably their awareness about everyday matters is sadly lacking. I forgive the oldies, but only just.

I'm French and therefore, I am more familiar with the metric system, but it didn't take me long to find a conversion tool (see one of my previous posts above). Actually, it probably takes less time to get the results using Google than to post the question in this thread, but I am a forgiving person too... wink.png

By the way, if everything were the same and standardised globally, the World would be a less interesting place, IMHO. In Thailand, you also sometimes have to use other units of measurements (rai, tarang wa, etc.)! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_units_of_measurement

• Like 1

What a score! Catch and release? I myself don't care for the taste of carp as they are bottom feeders

but have been told that if cooked correctly is pretty tasty.

My wife tried to tell the same thing, when she cooked it, NOPE, tasted like mud...

• Like 1

Britain has been metric for many years now. It is illegal for grocers to sell produce in pounds and ounces.

The only hangover as far as I know are road speeds which are still in mph due to cost of metric replacements.