Briton on holiday in Thailand catches 10 stone carp using a piece of bread

Lite Beer

What a score! Catch and release? I myself don't care for the taste of carp as they are bottom feeders

but have been told that if cooked correctly is pretty tasty.

My wife tried to tell the same thing, when she cooked it, NOPE, tasted like mud...

Fish should go immediately into ice slurry after you catched it.

Muddy taste comes from the histamine in the fish. As the body temperature rises through stress, the histamine levels will also get higher, and that's why you will get a muddy taste.

Cooling your fish immediately gives a better distribution of blood levels in parts you won't eat.

For me carp flesh is on it's best around 1 kg : less fat.

And euh, next time don't blame the missus.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is strange how people,particularly the Brits, seem to be averse to metrication. Shopping in a grocers in England is a laugh, where were these people educated, this is basic stuff after all. The youngsters may be wizzes on their iPhones etc, but regrettably their awareness about everyday matters is sadly lacking. I forgive the oldies, but only just.

Absolute nonsense.

I left the UK ten years ago and it was then well versed in using the metric and decimal systems.

Being an 'oldie' as you put it, also means that I don't need to reach for the electronic calculator if I need to multiply by twelve, or divide by six for that matter.

Handy when dining out.

• Like 1

So how much do these fish weigh in real terms, ie Kg.

What is a stone apart from something you throw at dogs?

I understand where you are coming from.....it's an age thing

I'll tell you in exchange for you telling me how many kiliograms there are to a mile.tongue.png

A stone is 14 lbs, (around 6,36 kgs), and an amazing coincidence that there are exactly the same number of kilograms to a mile as there are centimetres to a ferkin :)

• Like 1

Stone (not of the Rolling category): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_%28unit%29

Pound (not the currency): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_%28mass%29

Google is your friend, mate! wink.png

Can English and Irish people use proper modern measurements?! The Imperial measurements were abolished 30 yrs ago, it's in your link above: "With the advent of metrication from the mid-19th century on, it was superseded by the kilogram. It remained in limited use for trade in the United Kingdom and in Ireland until prohibited by the Weights and Measures Act of 1985"

Stone (not of the Rolling category): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(unit)

Pound (not the currency): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)

Can English and Irish people use proper modern measurements?! The Imperial measurements were abolished 30 yrs ago, it's in your link above: "With the advent of metrication from the mid-19th century on, it was superseded by the kilogram. It remained in limited use for trade in the United Kingdom and in Ireland until prohibited by the Weights and Measures Act of 1985"

I'm neither English nor Irish, but converting those measurements is no big deal in this day and age, right? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/754035-briton-on-holiday-in-thailand-catches-10-stone-carp-using-a-piece-of-bread/page-2#entry8286494

Stone (not of the Rolling category): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_%28unit%29

Well they say we were togo metric, but it's just not caught on in everyday use. The death knell for the whole process was when the politicians instead of saying that it was their decision to change over, they instead blamed it on the EEC and that was that, It then became a diktat by a bunch of foreigners, so no way in hell was the process going to go any further from that point on. Hence the mix - metric in work / goods (mostly notable exceptions are MPG for fuel efficiency (even though petrol sold in litres for decades) and screen width) but imperial else where i.e. road signs, speedometers, markets, every day conversation etc

• Like 1

I'll tell you in exchange for you telling me how many kiliograms there are to a mile.tongue.png

A stone is 14 lbs, (around 6,36 kgs), and an amazing coincidence that there are exactly the same number of kilograms to a mile as there are centimetres to a ferkin smile.png

A FERKIN WHAT ?????????????????????????

• Like 1

Hahaha

Well they say we were togo metric, but it's just not caught on in everyday use. The death knell for the whole process was when the politicians instead of saying that it was their decision to change over, they instead blamed it on the EEC and that was that, It then became a diktat by a bunch of foreigners, so no way in hell was the process going to go any further from that point on. Hence the mix - metric in work / goods (mostly notable exceptions are MPG for fuel efficiency (even though petrol sold in litres for decades) and screen width) but imperial else where i.e. road signs, speedometers, markets, every day conversation etc

You hang on to that. As long as beer stays at pints who cares about the rest? Not much of a fishing discussion though.

Great news for the fish park. Many anglers will be looking to book and catch the same fish next year when it will

be a few KG's heavier. Everyone gets a world record. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

"...the idyllic three-acre Palm Tree Lagoon fishing resort"

"After posing for a few obligatory photos with his prize, Mr Harman released the giant carp safely back into the water."
cheesy.gif cheesy.gifcheesy.gif
This is no big feat.
These fish are confined in shallow small ponds to be caught over and over again.
Granted, he caught a big one. But, this is by no means a wild game fishing expedition.
You pay for a photo-op.
It's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Gimme a break...

Really? And here I was thinking what a decent sportsman he was, to have released the fish after finally catching it. huh.png

Them fish are so used to getting caught they just luv to get hooked for a photo shoot,, cheesy.gifclap2.gif cheesy.gif

All this talk of about how much 10 stone 6 lbs is in just pounds could have been solved by reading to the second paragraph, where it says the fish was 150 lbs.

You'll note, however, that 10 stone 6 lbs does not equal 150 lbs, but almost does. Guess the article author was confused as well.

In any case, appears like nobody even noticed.

• Like 1

All this talk of about how much 10 stone 6 lbs is in just pounds could have been solved by reading to the second paragraph, where it says the fish was 150 lbs.

You'll note, however, that 10 stone 6 lbs does not equal 150 lbs, but almost does. Guess the article author was confused as well.

In any case, appears like nobody even noticed.

Must be the difference between dry (= 146 lbs or 10 stone 6 lbs or 66.2245 kg) and wet weight (= 150 lbs or 10 stone 10 lbs or 68.0389 kg), then! wink.png

Yeah, I know, it's a fishy explanation! tongue.png

This may help some people.

16 ounces = one pound

fourteen pounds =one stone

one hundred and twelve pounds= one hunredweight.

Twenty hundredweights =one ton.

2240 Pounds = one ton

We had to learn these multiplications when I were at school.

Money,

4 farthings =one penny

2 halfpennies = one penny

12 pennies = one shilling

2 shillings = one florin.

5 shillings = one crown.

twenty shillings = one pound ( currency)

One guinea = twenty one shillings.

Metric is much is much more simple.

Is he from surrey or Australia? In the beginning it says he is from surrey and then towards the end of the article he is from Australia.

Probably born in Surrey but now living in Australia.

I reckon they left out Hills and he is from Surrey Hills a Melbourne Australian suburb w00t.gifburp.gif