Retirement Visa

At your local immigration office in Thailand, you can change your tourist visa to a non-visa (fee 2,000 Baht) and afterwards get a one-year extension for retirement. After your arrival, go to your immigration office and ask for their requirements.

• Like 1

For the sake of God where do all of you guys "learn" to use the word "retirement-VISA" It is completely false most of the times as there are NO such thing as a Retirement-VISA, the closest you get to that name is probably "Non Immigreant O-A" which is a VISA that is directed towards retired people.

But for you and all you other people using this faulty word (retirement-VISA), that has absolutely no bearing here in Thailand or elsewhere for that matter. You are talking about getting an extension of stay - based on retirement, and that is NOT a VISA. It is an extension of stay from that permission to stay you already got via your "traded" Non Immigfrant O. As you are going from a touristVISA via a Non Immigrant O that the immigration will help you with, and than applying for an extension of stay based on retirement.

So forget that Retirement-VISA....

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

Just went to visa shop to get them to renew my non-im O (Retirement Visa). Bad new if you're a Brit.

They can no longer get the OVER CHARGED letter from the Embassy for you.

All us Brits have to go to BKK in person to get that letter.

Same as for us Swedes as well. They all seems to make it as troublesome as possible for us poor tourists

and expats.

Glegolo

Just went to visa shop to get them to renew my non-im O (Retirement Visa). Bad new if you're a Brit.

Only 2 weeks ago I used the postal system to get my Embassy proof of income letter with no problem whatsoever. A very prompt service with a turnaround in 7 days. No visit to BKK.

• Like 2

You can get the letter by mail and that seems to be the embassies preferred method.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

For the sake of God where do all of you guys "learn" to use the word "retirement-VISA" It is completely false most of the times as there are NO such thing as a Retirement-VISA, the closest you get to that name is probably "Non Immigreant O-A" which is a VISA that is directed towards retired people.

But for you and all you other people using this faulty word (retirement-VISA), that has absolutely no bearing here in Thailand or elsewhere for that matter. You are talking about getting an extension of stay - based on retirement, and that is NOT a VISA. It is an extension of stay from that permission to stay you already got via your "traded" Non Immigfrant O. As you are going from a touristVISA via a Non Immigrant O that the immigration will help you with, and than applying for an extension of stay based on retirement.

Glegolo

good post but can you now tell me what is a visa shop?

Glegolo

good post but can you now tell me what is a visa shop?

No I won´t.... plse ask to the people that are using this strange word instead..

Glegolo

• Like 1

At your local immigration office in Thailand, you can change your tourist visa to a non-visa (fee 2,000 Baht) and afterwards get a one-year extension for retirement. After your arrival, go to your immigration office and ask for their requirements.

Although some larger offices such as Jomtien (Pattaya) will process a non-O conversion, I gather that most offices will send you packing to Chaengwattana Immigration in Bangkok for this purpose.

"Just went to visa shop to get them to renew my non-im O (Retirement Visa)."

You cannot renew a visa. You are attempting to get an annual extension of stay.

And what is a visa shop? Visas for Thailand are not issued, let alone extended or renewed, in Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69

I am coming to Thailand on a Single Entry 60 day Tourist Visa. can I convert this to a Retirement Visa in Thailand ? I am a UK citizen aged 62.

If you can manage it, coming to Thailand on a non-immigrant o visa based on your intention to retire here would save a step, although it seems it isn't that easily obtained in UK anymore.

If you come to Thailand on a tourist visa you can convert to a non-imm o entry stamp at some immigration offices and then in the last 30 days of your permission to stay you can apply for an extension of stay (NOT a visa) at immigrations. At some offices, such as Jomtien, if you are all documented up, you can do both the conversion and the extension in one visit.

You'll need to have the Baht 800,000 in the bank and/or the letter confirming your pension income from your embassy. If you do the conversion and then extension of stay in two separate visits and you are using income for all or part of the requirements, you MIGHT need two original embassy letters.

What you are ultimately aiming for is an extension of stay based on retirement, not a visa. If you intend to exit and re-enter Thailand while on an extension of stay you MUST also apply for a re-entry permit.

Edited by Suradit69