Ooredoo’s services lacking, customers say

DagonKhan

Ooredoo’s services lacking, customers say

Despite promises of better voice connection and access to the Internet, mobile phone users in Rangoon say that Ooredoo’s services are falling short of high expectations.

Launched in Rangoon on 2 August, Ooredoo is the first foreign company in Burma’s telecoms sector, which previously had state-run Myanmar Posts and Telecommunications (MPT) as the sole telecoms provider.

For the last few years, the cost of MPT SIM cards ranged from US$50 to hundreds of dollars, making mobile connectivity a rarity in Burma. With only one other foreign competitor, which has not yet launched, Ooredoo appeared poised to take over a large part of the market share with its allure of low-priced SIM cards starting at about US$1.50.

But less than three weeks on, customers are already disillusioned.

Continues here:- https://www.dvb.no/news/ooredoos-services-lacking-customers-say-burma-myanmar/43381

• Like 1

Ooredoo to reduce Internet charges Published on Sunday, 24 August 2014 23:12

Ooredoo Myanmar will work to reduce its current Internet charges, the company has said.

The news follows criticism that Ooredoo’s Internet charges are at a high level for Myanmar citizens and higher than fees in some other countries.

Myint Zaw, managing director of marketing for Ooredoo Myanmar, said: “To talk about the Internet package after learning from all sides, it is better. Now we charge 25 Kyats (US$0.03) for 1MB and 12,000 Kyats (US$12) for 1GB. There are 1024 MB in 1GB. And we allow customers to use 20MB in free of charge for Facebook. So, if all these facts are included in considering, it cost 7 Kyats (US$0.007) for 1MB, I think.

“We will try to solve all the criticisms. We will arrange to reduce the Internet charges gradually, later,” he said.

For Ooredoo’s Internet service, it costs 500 Kyats (US$0.5) for daily usage of 30MB, 3,000 Kyats (US$3) for usage of 200MB in a week, 12,000 Kyats (US$12) for usage of 1GB in amonth, 19,000 Kyats (US$19) for 2GB, 45,000 Kyats (US$45) for 5GB, and 79,000 Kyats for 10 GB.

Despite promotional deals being included, such as one for using Facebook for a limited amount, IT experts and users criticised Ooredoo’s Internet charges as being high.

Myint Zaw said: “Ooredoo is an organisation with stable funding. And they have communication experience in international countries. They have technicians. So, the current problems will be solved as soon as possible.”

http://www.elevenmyanmar.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7324:ooredoo-to-reduce-internet-charges&catid=44:national&Itemid=384

• Like 1

I've downloaded 24.54Gb so far this month, about 1Gb/day. I pay Ks2/minute and in one minute I download just over 5Mb (sometimes more, I've found my download speed varies from 90Kb/s to 180Kb/s), I actually tested it the other day and no, I'm not a techie by any stretch! I typically pay around Ks40,000-50,000/month for my phone and that of course includes calls.

If Ooredoo knew anything about Myanmar people then they would know how good they are at working out which deal is best. From my conversations with local people, they had Ooredoo sussed within 48 hours, they all know that they're way more expensive as far as the internet goes, they were the ones who told me, they had already worked it out.thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I'm not surprised there are moves afoot to change from a time based data package to a volume based data package.

If I was paying per minute I'd be downloading all the time while connected, and keeping the data turned off when I didn't need to be online.

• Like 1

If I was paying per minute I'd be downloading all the time while connected, and keeping the data turned off when I didn't need to be online.

And that's exactly what I do SVB.biggrin.png

I know some foreigners who have signed up for companies like Redlink who charge an arm and a leg and I think people like Ooredoo think they are competing against them. They're not. They're competing against Yatanarpon and MPT. I gave up my Yatanarpon account last year, but even when I did have it I was paying US$60/year as an annual fee and US$25/month for the internet with no data limit.