Authorities begin demolishing buildings on Phuket beaches

Lite Beer

At least they're finally making good use of today's technology. Of course, Google Earth has been around for a long time now for free, and for relatively small dosh offers enhanced real-time pix. This begs the question why, over the past several years, did they not have one clerk scanning Google Earth for encroachment, illegal logging, and illegal burning? So many problems could have been nipped in the bud.

Because the local officials did not want to know about the illegal encroachment. Sort of turn a blind eye.

• Like 1

At least they're finally making good use of today's technology. Of course, Google Earth has been around for a long time now for free, and for relatively small dosh offers enhanced real-time pix. This begs the question why, over the past several years, did they not have one clerk scanning Google Earth for encroachment, illegal logging, and illegal burning? So many problems could have been nipped in the bud.

Because the local officials did not want to know about the illegal encroachment. Sort of turn a blind eye.

Hmmmm, I suppose the local ones knew since they likely derived some benefit from the whole shady process. I was more referring to the P.M.s since Google Earth became available. Well, at least now we've got the A-Team working to right the wrongs. Here's hoping it doesn't go back to the way it was...

• Like 1

I, for one, believe that 'most' of the actions of the junta in reclaiming beaches or land that had been illegally used in national forest reserves are correct and warrented. However, I think the NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work. Consideration must also be given to families who have engaged is subsistence agriculture over a long period of time without exploiting the land for other than their family's welfare.

In addition, this program clearly illustrates that Thailand needs to implement meaningful land use and zoning regulations. For example, you neighbor should not be able to open a car repair garage in what is predominately a residential neighborhood and so on. All beaches should be the property of the people to the high water line -- no exceptions. With current satellite technology, it should be feasible to monitor and capture those engage in illegal logging or the trafficking of endangered species.

Lastly, those who have been the source or corruption in land use matters should be named and prosecuted.

NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work.

Agree however it should have been addressed before the jobs were lost.

Lastly, those who have been the source or corruption in land use matters should be named and prosecuted.

Yeah I'd like to see this too, however it is looking a bit unlikely, which I find to be the best argument this isn't at all about corruption, but about eliminating the working class take of the tourism spoils

I, for one, believe that 'most' of the actions of the junta in reclaiming beaches or land that had been illegally used in national forest reserves are correct and warrented. However, I think the NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work. Consideration must also be given to families who have engaged is subsistence agriculture over a long period of time without exploiting the land for other than their family's welfare.

In addition, this program clearly illustrates that Thailand needs to implement meaningful land use and zoning regulations. For example, you neighbor should not be able to open a car repair garage in what is predominately a residential neighborhood and so on. All beaches should be the property of the people to the high water line -- no exceptions. With current satellite technology, it should be feasible to monitor and capture those engage in illegal logging or the trafficking of endangered species.

NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work.

Agree however it should have been addressed before the jobs were lost.

Yeah I'd like to see this too, however it is looking a bit unlikely, which I find to be the best argument this isn't at all about corruption, but about eliminating the working class take of the tourism spoils

Sorry, but when is any problem addressed in Thailand before it becomes too big to cover up anymore? Where was or is there any sort of planning or infrastructure improvement here in Phuket before they allowed all the development? Developers probably paid, but it just went in someone's pocket...

• Like 1

Because she was stuck on Facebook.

Hopefully we'll see beach cleaning machines taking care of the beaches soon. And the job will be done. The lack of using modern technology to keep the beaches clean along with the careless encroachment has left plenty of trash behind. Anything short of a mechanized approach will be like digging the foundation for a high rise building with a tablespoon.

4th Army Area Commander reviews reorganization progress in Phuket

PHUKET, 24 August 2014 (NNT) -The Commander of the Fourth Army Area has reviewed the progress of environmental reorganization efforts in Phuket.

Lt.Gen.Walit Rojanaphakdee chaired a meeting to follow up on progress in enacting this key initiative of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)’s reconciliation and reform policy. He revealed that after popular areas in Phuket were reorganized to protect natural resources and the environment, that residents had expressed satisfaction because beaches and tourist attractions are now more readily accessible and their natural beauty restored.

According to the Governor of Phuket, Maitri Inthusut, the province has been working with the NCPO to eliminate Mafia influence and availability of contraband in the area. As some people such as sellers of small items are affected by the reorganizational drive, the province will conduct an in-depth survey with them next week and find solutions such as job recruitment or job training for them.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-08-23 footer_n.gif

I upgraded to Google earth pro some time back, same same as standard version with few useful options The sat images are up dated every few years, did I miss something enhanced real time pix?

OK a little off the topic but if they wanted to fix encroachment there are many ways for them to do so, they just have to want to do it.

Dear Army, Please stay in power forever as this country needs a good cleanup , refuse everywhere beaches and water polluted.

Thank you ! Generals

Fully agree and General please don/t back away from the mafia running jet skis on pattaya beach they also pay and control other foreigners to negotiate for them ALWAYS IN FAVOUR of the jet ski owner.

• Like 2

I would like to see that anyone who was given permission to develop business and paid rents or ssuch like for that, on the encroached land should be given the assistance to fast track legal proceedings against anyone taking money for that .to reclaim some of there losses if they have lost their lively hood . If they are innocent there will be someone further up who's responsible ..Many of the business owners are uneducated and unaware to the harm the've done..

"The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work." Really? They broke the law for years without prosecution and you want to reward them? Perhaps when a bank closes we should compensate bank robbers too?

I strongly doubt that the workers (not owners) of these shops and restaurants didn't have a clue about the legal status of the deeds or issues involving encroachment. Under the Thai Labor Code, the workers are entitled to severance pay. Is following the law an issue with you?

I upgraded to Google earth pro some time back, same same as standard version with few useful options The sat images are up dated every few years, did I miss something enhanced real time pix?

OK a little off the topic but if they wanted to fix encroachment there are many ways for them to do so, they just have to want to do it.

Google Earth Pro is USD 400, IIRC. There is a level above that is called Google Earth Enterprise, designed for multi-national corporations and governments. They won't quote a price until you give them the exact parameters you want. I suppose you could Google them ;)

Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see any of the corrupt officials or government workers dragged over the coals for any of this. These things wouldn´t have happened without them lining their pockets.

And what about the main source of corruption here in Thailand, or are we just creating a monopoly?

Although some good is coming from it, it still seems like a big show to me, too little to late and not addressing the crux of the matter......

Could not agree more. Not one report that any officials have even been investigated for allowing all this encroachment and their financial assets investigated to see if any tax was paid on their wealth.

I hope that the corrupt officials go to prison for a LONG time! It will serve as a warning to future corrupt officials that their day in prison could come any day when there is a change of government.

Karma gets you in the end!

Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see any of the corrupt officials or government workers dragged over the coals for any of this. These things wouldn´t have happened without them lining their pockets.

And what about the main source of corruption here in Thailand, or are we just creating a monopoly?

Although some good is coming from it, it still seems like a big show to me, too little to late and not addressing the crux of the matter......

Could not agree more. Not one report that any officials have even been investigated for allowing all this encroachment and their financial assets investigated to see if any tax was paid on their wealth.

Yeah it´s a bit like where we come from receiving stolen goods is punished more harshly than those stealing the goods. If no one was receiving them then no one would steal.

I think everyone knows where the real corruption is and what is the biggest ¨mafia¨ organization in this country, but nothing has been done about that !!

However I guess it´s a beginning, but starting with the ¨roots¨ and not the leaves would seem a more efficient way to deal with the corruption tree, IMO.

Hmmmm, I suppose the local ones knew since they likely derived some benefit from the whole shady process. I was more referring to the P.M.s since Google Earth became available. Well, at least now we've got the A-Team working to right the wrongs. Here's hoping it doesn't go back to the way it was...

Just corruption for decades on every level.

Here in my small Udon Thani province Amphoe, the road out of the village to the Amphoe - District main city (village) since 12 years, since I come here, is never substantially-really repaired.

Only in a way, so it breaks after some weeks, this year, better, month again, old big potholes open

and they can again ask for money, end of the year.

Seems all have their finger in that pot and take, repair a bit and next year again!

When I told that to a senior Immigration officer in Udon city some years ago, he smiled, I know, he said,

it is "corruption!".

The sheepish people from the villages who have now in and after rain season that f@#$%! up road, do not complain. Only me, but that is not enough, crazy!

I heard also some years ago, that local politicians ran around and looked to get signed petition papers for a pay out (final one?) for old war participants and victims or families from war victims. (invalid ect)

I heard two sums, the sum they asked for in Bangkok and the sum they wanted to pay out than.

That was open discussed, as my GF told me, the difference, a BIG ONE, was for the incessantly, for such funds fighting politicians.

The Issanis accepted that, as no corruption money meant, they would get nothing. blink.png

Edited by ALFREDO