Authorities begin demolishing buildings on Phuket beaches

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they're finally making good use of today's technology. Of course, Google Earth has been around for a long time now for free, and for relatively small dosh offers enhanced real-time pix. This begs the question why, over the past several years, did they not have one clerk scanning Google Earth for encroachment, illegal logging, and illegal burning? So many problems could have been nipped in the bud.

Because the local officials did not want to know about the illegal encroachment. Sort of turn a blind eye.

• Like 1

At least they're finally making good use of today's technology. Of course, Google Earth has been around for a long time now for free, and for relatively small dosh offers enhanced real-time pix. This begs the question why, over the past several years, did they not have one clerk scanning Google Earth for encroachment, illegal logging, and illegal burning? So many problems could have been nipped in the bud.

Because the local officials did not want to know about the illegal encroachment. Sort of turn a blind eye.

Hmmmm, I suppose the local ones knew since they likely derived some benefit from the whole shady process. I was more referring to the P.M.s since Google Earth became available. Well, at least now we've got the A-Team working to right the wrongs. Here's hoping it doesn't go back to the way it was...

• Like 1

I, for one, believe that 'most' of the actions of the junta in reclaiming beaches or land that had been illegally used in national forest reserves are correct and warrented. However, I think the NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work. Consideration must also be given to families who have engaged is subsistence agriculture over a long period of time without exploiting the land for other than their family's welfare.

In addition, this program clearly illustrates that Thailand needs to implement meaningful land use and zoning regulations. For example, you neighbor should not be able to open a car repair garage in what is predominately a residential neighborhood and so on. All beaches should be the property of the people to the high water line -- no exceptions. With current satellite technology, it should be feasible to monitor and capture those engage in illegal logging or the trafficking of endangered species.

Lastly, those who have been the source or corruption in land use matters should be named and prosecuted.

NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work.

Agree however it should have been addressed before the jobs were lost.

Lastly, those who have been the source or corruption in land use matters should be named and prosecuted.

Yeah I'd like to see this too, however it is looking a bit unlikely, which I find to be the best argument this isn't at all about corruption, but about eliminating the working class take of the tourism spoils

I, for one, believe that 'most' of the actions of the junta in reclaiming beaches or land that had been illegally used in national forest reserves are correct and warrented. However, I think the NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work. Consideration must also be given to families who have engaged is subsistence agriculture over a long period of time without exploiting the land for other than their family's welfare.

In addition, this program clearly illustrates that Thailand needs to implement meaningful land use and zoning regulations. For example, you neighbor should not be able to open a car repair garage in what is predominately a residential neighborhood and so on. All beaches should be the property of the people to the high water line -- no exceptions. With current satellite technology, it should be feasible to monitor and capture those engage in illegal logging or the trafficking of endangered species.

NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work.

Agree however it should have been addressed before the jobs were lost.

Yeah I'd like to see this too, however it is looking a bit unlikely, which I find to be the best argument this isn't at all about corruption, but about eliminating the working class take of the tourism spoils

Sorry, but when is any problem addressed in Thailand before it becomes too big to cover up anymore? Where was or is there any sort of planning or infrastructure improvement here in Phuket before they allowed all the development? Developers probably paid, but it just went in someone's pocket...

• Like 1

Well I agree with you , problems in Thailand are not faced and all this recent beach activity is making more problems for more people and it will have negative effects that could have been abated.

Because she was stuck on Facebook.

Hopefully we'll see beach cleaning machines taking care of the beaches soon. And the job will be done. The lack of using modern technology to keep the beaches clean along with the careless encroachment has left plenty of trash behind. Anything short of a mechanized approach will be like digging the foundation for a high rise building with a tablespoon.