Authorities begin demolishing buildings on Phuket beaches

Lite Beer

At least they're finally making good use of today's technology. Of course, Google Earth has been around for a long time now for free, and for relatively small dosh offers enhanced real-time pix. This begs the question why, over the past several years, did they not have one clerk scanning Google Earth for encroachment, illegal logging, and illegal burning? So many problems could have been nipped in the bud.

This is very true but as you might know; Thais at work do just enough to cover their job description and will never take an initiative on things like this (it might make their boss look as if they're not doing their own job properly for example which = loss of face for the boss and lack of job for the other chap). So the order to do something like you suggest would need to come from above - probably from the person who is getting the backhanders for letting this happen in the first place. Initiative at work is not something that is looked upon as a good thing, I have so many ridiculous anecdotes on this it boggles the mind.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the NCPO. About the BS for these poor people who lost their jobs. Phuket has a very low unemployment rate. The resorts are always looking for people. Whenever they have job fair, no one shows up.

Every last one of the people who worked or profited from these illegal jobs on the beach knew they were illegal. I have no empathy for them. Go find another job and stop the whining.

Pattaya could use a good cleaning next

yes I hope so

a few buildings to high and too close to the sea

plus the baht buses double parking and parking in red zones

plus the buses double parking at the floating gardens

plus the motor cycles going up the wrong side of the road

and the.................................................

and of course the................................

I, for one, believe that 'most' of the actions of the junta in reclaiming beaches or land that had been illegally used in national forest reserves are correct and warrented. However, I think the NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work. Consideration must also be given to families who have engaged is subsistence agriculture over a long period of time without exploiting the land for other than their family's welfare.

In addition, this program clearly illustrates that Thailand needs to implement meaningful land use and zoning regulations. For example, you neighbor should not be able to open a car repair garage in what is predominately a residential neighborhood and so on. All beaches should be the property of the people to the high water line -- no exceptions. With current satellite technology, it should be feasible to monitor and capture those engage in illegal logging or the trafficking of endangered species.

Lastly, those who have been the source or corruption in land use matters should be named and prosecuted.

"The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work." Really? They broke the law for years without prosecution and you want to reward them? Perhaps when a bank closes we should compensate bank robbers too?

I strongly doubt that the workers (not owners) of these shops and restaurants didn't have a clue about the legal status of the deeds or issues involving encroachment. Under the Thai Labor Code, the workers are entitled to severance pay. Is following the law an issue with you?

i do not believe that illegal work in an illegal biz is covered in the labour code. Apparently following the law is flexible in your opinion. Would your opinion be the same if the biz was a boiler room or meth lab?

But some of these businesses, on Bang tao at least had legal permits issued by local govt so maybe they did pay social security, If they did the workers are certainly entitled to compensation

More sucking up of public funds; How to drive an economy into the ground 101

At least they're finally making good use of today's technology. Of course, Google Earth has been around for a long time now for free, and for relatively small dosh offers enhanced real-time pix. This begs the question why, over the past several years, did they not have one clerk scanning Google Earth for encroachment, illegal logging, and illegal burning? So many problems could have been nipped in the bud.

This is very true but as you might know; Thais at work do just enough to cover their job description and will never take an initiative on things like this (it might make their boss look as if they're not doing their own job properly for example which = loss of face for the boss and lack of job for the other chap). So the order to do something like you suggest would need to come from above - probably from the person who is getting the backhanders for letting this happen in the first place. Initiative at work is not something that is looked upon as a good thing, I have so many ridiculous anecdotes on this it boggles the mind.

I agree with you 100 % and find it a very negative and very accurate view of Thais and Thailand.

In 6 years of hiring Thais - about 25 I've gone through, the only one with any kind of work ethic is actually Burmese and got a Thai ID through family somehow. The work is dangerous and requires a lot of training so I pay him 700 baht a day and on some days when he works alone- 1000 and he is worth it.

I lose Thai workers who are lazy and unreliable as they get angry they don't rise above the starting wage of 500.

Edited by EBlair48

Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see any of the corrupt officials or government workers dragged over the coals for any of this. These things wouldn´t have happened without them lining their pockets.

And what about the main source of corruption here in Thailand, or are we just creating a monopoly?

Although some good is coming from it, it still seems like a big show to me, too little to late and not addressing the crux of the matter......

Could not agree more. Not one report that any officials have even been investigated for allowing all this encroachment and their financial assets investigated to see if any tax was paid on their wealth.

+2

Amazing how no one seems to be held accountable for allowing it to happen in the first place.

many years ago there was a beach on kho chang called white sand beach it had all you needed ,then they got a roro ferry that was the end of that.

within two years half the beach was built on and thats a national park, a former telecom billionair/premier wanted it to be a new phuket and his

wish came true,might go back if the clear the beaches.

I, for one, believe that 'most' of the actions of the junta in reclaiming beaches or land that had been illegally used in national forest reserves are correct and warrented. However, I think the NCPO should take into consideration those innocent individuals who lost his/her jobs because of this program. The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work. Consideration must also be given to families who have engaged is subsistence agriculture over a long period of time without exploiting the land for other than their family's welfare.

In addition, this program clearly illustrates that Thailand needs to implement meaningful land use and zoning regulations. For example, you neighbor should not be able to open a car repair garage in what is predominately a residential neighborhood and so on. All beaches should be the property of the people to the high water line -- no exceptions. With current satellite technology, it should be feasible to monitor and capture those engage in illegal logging or the trafficking of endangered species.

Lastly, those who have been the source or corruption in land use matters should be named and prosecuted.

"The junta should insure that each and every worker who lost their job received severance pay and should receive assistance in finding other meaningful work." Really? They broke the law for years without prosecution and you want to reward them? Perhaps when a bank closes we should compensate bank robbers too?

I strongly doubt that the workers (not owners) of these shops and restaurants didn't have a clue about the legal status of the deeds or issues involving encroachment. Under the Thai Labor Code, the workers are entitled to severance pay. Is following the law an issue with you?

i do not believe that illegal work in an illegal biz is covered in the labour code. Apparently following the law is flexible in your opinion. Would your opinion be the same if the biz was a boiler room or meth lab?

I fail to see the the comparison you are making. The buildings weren't torn down because it was an illegal business it was because the building was built on public lands. There has never been any claim or assertion that the workers at these establishments were engaged in any illegal activities - right?

Maybe I missed it but I have yet to see any of the corrupt officials or government workers dragged over the coals for any of this. These things wouldn´t have happened without them lining their pockets.

And what about the main source of corruption here in Thailand, or are we just creating a monopoly?

Although some good is coming from it, it still seems like a big show to me, too little to late and not addressing the crux of the matter......

Could not agree more. Not one report that any officials have even been investigated for allowing all this encroachment and their financial assets investigated to see if any tax was paid on their wealth.

+2

Amazing how no one seems to be held accountable for allowing it to happen in the first place.

Actually, it´s not just amazing, it´s criminal in it´s own right. Prunining the tree of corruption will only make new branches grow in different directions, it looks pretty for a while but that is all. If you want to kill the tree then rip it out at the roots. The problem is it starts at the base where it is the strongest and most powerful.

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the NCPO. About the BS for these poor people who lost their jobs. Phuket has a very low unemployment rate. The resorts are always looking for people. Whenever they have job fair, no one shows up.

Every last one of the people who worked or profited from these illegal jobs on the beach knew they were illegal. I have no empathy for them. Go find another job and stop the whining.

I believe the constant references to 'whining' is misplaced. People who were allowed by the OBJs to take generous advantage of the beaches for what I would assume to have been generous 'fees', and yet, as has been stated many times here, not one official has been brought to book, the vendors themselves being comparatively visible and therefore soft targets in this show of er, strength by the army, and are, IMO rightly aggrieved that they are the only ones being blamed for this mess.

On another issue, It would behove the junta to remove the skanks now infesting what was the once lovely lower stretch of Sai Yuan. As far as I'm aware prostitution is just as illegal as setting up businesses on the beach, is it not? And just as ugly to look at. bah.gif And before any of the resident mongers remonstrate, take a look at the noisy pissed up bunch of tarts who seem to have taken over the grassy area between the main road and a slip road in front of 'Familymart'. Although, having seen a YT vid of a junta inspired 'Happiness Show' with scantily clad girls bending over for the predominantly family audience, they probably see nothing wrong with this show of a Quality Holiday Destination coffee1.gif

• Like 1

<All beaches should be the property of the people to the high water line -- no exceptions.>

I hope you are right. A lot of condos to the south of Hua Hin will be losing a great deal of reclaimed land that goes below high tide mark- good job too.

Just took a gander at Pattaya beach in Google earth. You can see a little sand between all buildings. Too bad don't seem to have direct overhead shot. Also trails from jet ski scams in progress. Don't really need Google earth. Just take a plane or helicopter up and snap some photos. "From the lookin' comes the seein' " -George Clinton Parliament/Funkadelic

severence pay from the resraurant owners not the taxpayers ok..no problem is that ok with you now