What is the best way to start teaching English in Thailand. What are the most common mistakes?

alexx44

Hi guys. I'm hoping you can help me.

I have a degree, and live in England. I want to teach English. There's a maze of information out there on how to get a job, and there's a lot to understand, visas, agencies, culture, location, private vs public etc.

I'm a little overwhelmed, so I thought I'd get your expert opinions wink.png.

Here's the deal. I want to get a job near to bangkok. I want it to be relatively stress free. Money is NOT a priority. I'll take a smaller salary, if I can have better hours. I'll take less money if an agency sorts out all the paperwork. I want the process to be straight forward and painless. I want to save my energy for the teaching!

So I guess I want to go with an agency. Can anyone recommend a good one. I've heard a few horror stories...

Thanks, smile.png

Alex

Edited by alexx44

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK here is my opinion:

DO NOT work with an agency or take a job that someone offers you over the internet. These are always the worst jobs. Who else would hire someone sight unseen! They are desperate and you are going to suffer because of it.

Arrive in Bangkok and go to interviews looking really good. Appearance is more important in Thailand than almost any place I have ever been.

The first you get will likely not be that great.

Networking is the key to getting a good job in Thailand. Let me give you an example:

I have a friend who worked at one of the best schools (great pay, top students, good hours) in Bangkok. One day we were having lunch and his phone rang. One of the teachers at his school had quit. Within 5 minutes he had called another friend, told him about the position and put him in touch with the woman who hires teachers at his school.

Once you know a lot of teachers you can find a job that meets your needs.

• Like 1

Well, thinking you won't get a job pdq without an agency. Schools are crying out for NES with a degree. (Disclaimer, if you would work for aout 30 grand. I have no experience with higher paying jobs over here).

One mistake has been to allow a school to sucker you. there are variations of the general theme:

Foreign teacher getspromised a contract on certain terms. 12 months & xx,000 Baht.

a) Several girls flew in from China and upon arrival, the 'remuneration committee" decided that they could only pay thousands less than the promised amount.

B) My own '12 months' contract" was changed into a 10 months' contract. (After much soul searching, I decided to stick around and not walk out). Although this has been done according to the school's plan.

c) Clarify stuff like "personal days", sick leave, paid hols and who pays for the necessary paperwork? B-Visa, WP and the 1,900 B to change the immigration status?

d) What about health insurance? TBH, I'vebeen asked to pay cash, ad hoc. Bla bla,choose a hospital. Months later, I was hit with a high bill, because the hospital never received the paperwork. (Or payments?). ** It's shameful scams like this which makes it necessary to clarify the small stuff as well.

Yes, someone will likely try and embezzle some monies from your pay check. For example, the monthly matched SS contributions are now 750 at my school. (They used to be 600 B before at the school which never paid the hospital). But to qualify, one needs the WP. Guess what, each month, they have been trying to take out 750 B while the WP is still awaiting some boss's signature. Now the trick question, what do you think would have happened with the money if I had paid up as they requested?!? No way would they have i. passed it on to the SS or ii. refunded it voluntarily backto me.

Then there is housing.Be prepared to get substandard places with Thai toilet.

When you pay rent for a house or motorcycle, you better transfer the money. (I've had shocking issues after handing over several months' rent in advance. Not sure it it was genuine amnesia or some evil scheme. But you gotta play it safe).

When you see a school, check out the students' toilets. Many have no working wash basins. // Why not ask someone who's been working there?

The level of incompetence and lack of planning is often staggering. You might get hired without being asked a single professional or CV related question. => Your picture matters like hell.

Check out Ajarn.com and trust me, you can pick and choose among those low paying jobs.

cool.png My own '12 months' contract" was changed into a 10 months' contract. (After much soul searching, I decided to stick around and not walk out). Although this has been done according to the school's plan.

How exactly did that happen? You either had a 12 month contract or you didn't. Are you saying 12 months was promised then they reneged on it and offered only 10 months?

Then there is housing.Be prepared to get substandard places with Thai toilet.

Teachers are not forced to stay in the provided housing. Often if not always, an allowance is offered and you can apply that towards more suitable housing. Not everyone is from the Philippines where five or six teachers share a provided accommodation to save money.

When you see a school, check out the students' toilets. Many have no working wash basins. // Why not ask someone who's been working there?

The students bathrooms can indeed be disgusting. However, I think most teachers have their own bathrooms which are well kept by the janitor. How the students put up with it is beyond me but they seem to and keep on smiling. This is one thing which keeps some of us teaching. The will and desire to learn overshadows things like bathrooms without water.

" I want it to be relatively stress free. Money is NOT a priority. I'll take a smaller salary, if I can have better hours. "

It doesn't work that way mate. It's all about the money and handling stress. As for "better hours" you can forget that as well. The Thai's get the best schedules and the farangs are often with 1st and last period, leaving huge breaks in between to do nothing. If you go through with this, make sure you get a room near school. You can go home during these breaks despite it being against the school policy.

Don't bother teaching in Thailand, do yourself a favour please.

Teach in a place where people genuinely want to learn and have the motivation like China.

You'll get paid more too.

Please do yourself a favor and learn how to read and understand what people are saying. The OP didn't ask about a job in China.

Plus the OP did mention that it's not about the money.

OP, please try checking ajarn, pretty soon there'll be plenty of jobs available. ( Midterm break's usually the whole October, second term starts in November)

You could already have a job when arriving in Bangkok, look for a place to stay which isn't too far away from school. The traffic there's terrible.

Another way would be to fly to Bangkok and go to schools in person. I do not reckon to work for an agency for several reasons.

Best of luck.

edited by Slyanimal to remove URL

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your responses. :)

You mentioned that the picture is important. What can I do to make mine more 'acceptable'. For example I have a beard. Should I get rid?

Short hair?

Body shot or close up face shot?

And anything else I should know.

Yeah, looks like I'll check out ajarn as well!

edited by SlyAnimal to remove URL

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your responses. smile.png

You mentioned that the picture is important. What can I do to make mine more 'acceptable'. For example I have a beard. Should I get rid?

Short hair?

Yeah, looks like I'll check out Ajarn as well!

Shave your beard, get a decent haircut, wear a suit and a neck tie. Being well dressed and mannered is already half way in.

Create some sets of resumes and visit schools in person in the area you'd like to live/stay.

You might consider to read "my private dancer" first....Best of luck.

• Like 2

"For example, the monthly matched SS contributions are now 750 at my school. (They used to be 600 B before at the school which never paid the hospital)."

The SS fee is a percentage of your salary with a maximum of 750 baht. If you make 15k a month or more, you're going to pay 750 baht. The employer pays an equal amount. It's been like that for many years.

Over the last couple of years the government has subsidized the SS fee at a couple of different levels, which might account for 600 baht being collected. Or you were only making 12k a month.

The school does not pay the hospital.

For anyone in the SS system, I'd suggest you learn about the benefits available to you. They are actually pretty good. SS used to have a brochure explaining all the benefits in English. You might ask if they still have them.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your responses. :)

Short hair?

A tidy beard is fine, they'd probably prefer if you didn't have it but usually they're not too fussed.

They'll basically want a passport photo of you in the type of shirt you'd wear to work.

Hair wise, think about your teachers when you were at school and how you would expect them to wear their hair (e.g. Tidy)

If you want a relaxed job and aren't too fussed about the money, then at the interview stage ask questions like:

When I don't have a class, is it ok for me to go outside the school grounds?

When the students are on holiday, do I need to still come to school and sign in?

Will the school want me to teach from a text book or create my own lessons? If creating my own, will I need to submit lesson plans to the school or similar?

How many periods would I be required to teach each week?

Would I be required to attend morning assembly?

Will the school do all of the required paperwork for my visa/work permit? And will they send someone with me for any required trips to immigration/DoL?

Every school is different and so then you can gauge how relaxed the school will be in comparison to others.

Clean shaven and short hair is preferred. Since you don't bring anything to the table use that. Also hide any tattoos. There are many teachers with long hair, beards and visible tattoos however most of them have great qualifications and or experience.

Get a criminal check before you come. Make sure you have your original diploma, transcripts and letters of reference.

"When I don't have a class, is it ok for me to go outside the school grounds?

When the students are on holiday, do I need to still come to school and sign in?"

Don't ask these questions at an interview unless it is a foreign DOS. Better to ask this question to other teachers at the school.

I prefer not being the only foreign teacher at a school, but since you are new, you can't really be that picky.

You don't want to come across as a lazy temp worker looking for an extended holiday. Be professional, ask about the curriculum, teaching methodology the school employs.

Try and meet any co-teachers if you have them. They will either make your year wonderful or a living nightmare.

For the photo, just use a passport style photo. Dress professionally for photos and interviews. I don't care how hot it is to you, wear a suit to the interview if you want to get the job.

Don't bother teaching in Thailand, do yourself a favour please.

Teach in a place where people genuinely want to learn and have the motivation like China.

You'll get paid more too."

Not in my experience. Students are lazy and disrupting in every country I have taught in. It is your job to find ways to make it bearable for them. As for pay entry level EFL jobs pay about the same. China does pay slightly higher (6-10k RMB=30-50k baht) but has higher taxes and higher cost of living.

The only benefit with starting in China or Korea (harder for non-North Americans) is that they pay for airfare and housing. You will save more in the year and then come to Thailand with some experience and some extra savings.

But since money is not an issue, then just come here directly and beat the street for work. You will get a job within 2-3 weeks. Best to Come in October or March-April for best hiring season though.

Bring enough money for about 3-4 months to live on. Most people recommend a minimum of 3-5K pounds plus a round trip ticket

Short hair?

Shave your beard, get a decent haircut, wear a suit and a neck tie. Being well dressed and mannered is already half way in.

Create some sets of resumes and visit schools in person in the area you'd like to live/stay.

Not to distract from the OP, but curious about Age. If you are a retired teacher over age 55 with great qualifications, but with wrinkles and gray hair, what are the chances? smile.png

thx.

Edited by StrandedBusinessPerson

I am in a non-tourist area and the few English teachers here mostly come through agencies. They seem pretty happy and some don't leave, others spend a year and have a great time. Having a stress free life can often boil down to other people, so is less predictable than you might think. I never hear any of the teachers who come through here complain of the things that people do in other parts of Thailand. They seem to feel appreciated and respected, not caught up in power struggles etc…

As to appearance, generally clean cut is more respected out here in the coutnryside, though some of the teachers I have seen are bearded too. So, up to you, if you don't feel compromised by shaving, then that is better - - also cooler and feels better in the tropics… good luck and enjoy. Others manage it, surely you can too.

Hi

I'm really intrigued, you say you have a degree- but do you any experience or training in teaching methodology?

I think your idea of looking for a stress free teaching position is a little naive - teaching is one of the more stressful professions. It never ends- preparing materials for your lessons can take hours, marking ( if you bother to set home work etc) monitoring progress/ learning of your students - target setting ( vital) remembering the names of dozens of your students ( absolutely necessary )

Do you understand the functionality of smart boards.

Can you structure a lesson- starter activities, checking previous learning , activities throughout the lesson, group work, directed questioning, check individual learning and progress, plenary session etc etc

To be a successful teacher you have to be very organised and slick in everything you do- it takes time and experience.

Ajarn's website. Look good.

Write a thorough CV/Resume with picture and a knock-their-sox-off creative Cover Letter to post at Ajarn and send to replies. Get their attention!

Go for the universities and colleges if you have the credentials.

Your ORIGINAL college or university DIPLOMA is an absloute requirement.

Avoid language schools and agencies, albeit many agencies hire for schools.

Check your energy and tolerance levels for teaching the younger students. Stress is a personal issue, but if a job has you teaching upwards of 25 hours a week, expect stress.

Few schools are hiring now. Best times are Mar-Apr-May, though many are transitioning to the International School year - August to June.

Once you come to Thailand, Network every farang and English-speaking Thai. Someone knows a school hiring.

Facebook communities like Good Times Nakhon Si Thammarat here in the south.

Once you get a job, networks magically expand.

'Close to Bangkok' is relative,Busses, trains and vans that can get you to BKK Sky Train in 1 - 2 hours is close for many.

Good luck.

Edited by SlyAnimal to remove URL

• Like 1

Hi

I'm really intrigued, you say you have a degree- but do you any experience or training in teaching methodology?

I think your idea of looking for a stress free teaching position is a little naive - teaching is one of the more stressful professions. It never ends- preparing materials for your lessons can take hours, marking ( if you bother to set home work etc) monitoring progress/ learning of your students - target setting ( vital) remembering the names of dozens of your students ( absolutely necessary )

Do you understand the functionality of smart boards.

Can you structure a lesson- starter activities, checking previous learning , activities throughout the lesson, group work, directed questioning, check individual learning and progress, plenary session etc etc

To be a successful teacher you have to be very organised and slick in everything you do- it takes time and experience.

I think that the environment/school in which you teach makes a huge difference. As does the individual teaching, as different people handle different types of stress in different ways.

E.g. Personally I don't usually get stressed out by teaching, and teach for the love of it. Although I've been lucky to have great working environments in the 3 1/2 years I was teaching in Thailand, where the school's goals and my Goals were aligned, and I felt well respected in my job. If I had of been in another environment/school, it might have been a different story though.

Short hair?

Not to distract from the OP, but curious about Age. If you are a retired teacher over age 55 with great qualifications, but with wrinkles and gray hair, what are the chances? smile.png

thx.

He could still play "Santa Claus" with the right costume.....

Why exactly do you have to near Bangkok? Why not teach near Hatyai which is the biggest city in South Thailand? It has all the amenities of the Bangkok like pubs, beaches, malls, etc without the traffic jams. You get paid the same amount, too, but the cost of living in Hatyai is definitely lower than in Bangkok.

• Like 1

Short hair?

Your appearance is just as important as your ability to teach, facial hair is definitely a no no. I have long hair covering my ears, and the schools never had a problem with that.

I did a lot of research about school teaching on arrival here in March 2014. I suggest you need someone really experienced in every aspect of entry, qualification, work permit, job search, costs and contract to advise you before you start - and before you leave UK.. I was lucky enough to find a German who met all the criteria and gave me advice and guidance free. I have been teaching school children for 3 months now and if you like that type of role (or teaching older school kids ) theres a lot of demand provided you understand ahead what to do. I do not have his consent to publish his details but if you care to contact me I will give you his telno and email. (I dont know if we're allowed to give contact details on here but heres my phone no xxxxxxxxx. If its not permitted , maybe someone can tell me how one achieves personal private contact on here. ) Parajon

Edited by SlyAnimal - removed phone number as per forum rules, please contact the poster via pm if interested.