What is the best way to start teaching English in Thailand. What are the most common mistakes?

alexx44

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your responses. smile.png

You mentioned that the picture is important. What can I do to make mine more 'acceptable'. For example I have a beard. Should I get rid?

Short hair?

Body shot or close up face shot?

And anything else I should know.

Yeah, looks like I'll check out ajarn as well!

edited by SlyAnimal to remove URL

A tidy beard is fine, they'd probably prefer if you didn't have it but usually they're not too fussed.

They'll basically want a passport photo of you in the type of shirt you'd wear to work.

Hair wise, think about your teachers when you were at school and how you would expect them to wear their hair (e.g. Tidy)

If you want a relaxed job and aren't too fussed about the money, then at the interview stage ask questions like:

When I don't have a class, is it ok for me to go outside the school grounds?

When the students are on holiday, do I need to still come to school and sign in?

Will the school want me to teach from a text book or create my own lessons? If creating my own, will I need to submit lesson plans to the school or similar?

How many periods would I be required to teach each week?

Would I be required to attend morning assembly?

Will the school do all of the required paperwork for my visa/work permit? And will they send someone with me for any required trips to immigration/DoL?

Every school is different and so then you can gauge how relaxed the school will be in comparison to others.

Would I be required to attend morning assembly? Do not ask that question, just attend morning assembly as the normal, the Thai teachers do it, so you should too.

• Like 1

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the most common mistakes?

Trying to obtain coherent, practical advice here.

... so I thought I'd get your expert opinions

Well, at least you recognize that most of what you're getting here belongs in the opinion and gossip category.

I'd say the second biggest mistake following taking advice from strangers is seeking out other farang for company once you settle in. Remember what mom told you about choosing friends.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I'm another one that would recommend not teaching here unless it's only for a very short time. The whole education system and most schools are geared towards just turning out drones with no motivation to learn. The students automatically pass every subject as the school doesn't want a reputation for failing students, it really is pathetic. How do I know this? I've been teaching here, on and off, for about ten years and I'm heading back to England for a year or so to earn enough so I never have to teach here again.

You're obviously younger than me, more motivated and eager to teach than me but after a few months you'll see that most Thai schools take advantage of peoples' good nature - extra activities etc for no extra pay, getting students ready for competitions in your free time for no extra pay once again, and generally working you as hard as they can for the least pay they can get away with. The basic 30,000 baht salary hasn't changed in over ten years but the Thai teachers still complain that they're paying you too much.

Yes, I'm very pessimistic about the whole Ingrish teaching scene in this country and I'd recommend somewhere better in Asia. Apparently, Malaysia is looking to hire British folks to help out in the classroom and help train teachers. I'd do that at the drop of a hat but I'd never step into a classroom in this country again.

Another gripe of mine is that even these supposed "world class" schools still have blackboards and no sort of AV equipment unless you count an old tape player. In the classrooms that do have equipment such as projectors, expect them to be broken by the students after a few weeks into term or needing the bulbs replacing but that'll never get done.

That's it. My moan's over and I hope it prepares you for what teaching here entails.

• Like 1

Why exactly do you have to near Bangkok? Why not teach near Hatyai which is the biggest city in South Thailand? It has all the amenities of the Bangkok like pubs, beaches, malls, etc without the traffic jams. You get paid the same amount, too, but the cost of living in Hatyai is definitely lower than in Bangkok.

A great one. Yep, why not teaching in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumpon, Phang Nga, Krabi, or even in Phuket?

I live my life in Isaan, because my wife's from here.

Would I be single, there's no doubt that I'd look for a job near a nice beach. Honestly speaking, Bangkok is just too much for me.

Even the traffic jams in Sisaket are annoying. And that's a little town...

Edited by lostinisaan

Don't bother teaching in Thailand, do yourself a favour please.

Teach in a place where people genuinely want to learn and have the motivation like China.

You'll get paid more too.

But the problem is that you would be in China.

David

Its important above all to understand this one thing about teaching:

ESL teachers on message boards are often the most holier than thou avatars youll ever likely engage with. Dont sweat it. They dont mean anything of it, it's just something we all do. You'll do it too in a few years :)

With that proviso aside, let me advise you :P

Dress smart in your photo.

Refresh your CV on ajarn often.

Accept that with no experience youre not top billing.

But dont accept anything less than 30k.

Public school jobs are SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult... they re

• Like 1

My first major mistake (I started teaching in Thailand eight years ago and have been teaching steadily since) was trying to be a teacher. You are not here to teach, you are here to give the appearance of teaching. No student can fail so you will spend the bulk of your time greasing the ultra-stoopid [sic] students to squeeze them through the goalposts of passing. If you REALLY want to teach, get the necessary credentials to get into an international school. Good luck!

Edited by quandow
  • Like 1

I have just returned from an interview at a large school, close to BKK ( I got the position). They were virtually pleading to know if I knew of any other native English ( and Chinese) speaking teachers ( They need five). I think there's quite a shortage, since the visa crackdown.

I have just returned from an interview at a large school, close to BKK ( I got the position). They were virtually pleading to know if I knew of any other native English ( and Chinese) speaking teachers ( They need five). I think there's quite a shortage, since the visa crackdown.

Yes indeed, NES teachers are in rather short supply at present. I advertised my old job (it paid quite well considering the few hours I actually taught) and the only replies I received were from Filipinos, Indians and Africans even though the ad stated NES only. It was well above the 30,000 baht so I was shocked that no one applied.

I'd hold out for 35,000 to 40,000 in the BKK area as it's a buyer's market. The last thing I'd do is work for an agency unless it's one of the better ones. Am I allowed to name one or two? A_C or B_ll Language look after their teachers and pay well above the base salary.

Teach in a place where people genuinely want to learn and have the motivation like China.

Rubbish! China? You are more likely to get fired just before your contract is to end and wide up not getting paid or that "bonus" being paid to you. Also, if you think that you will be able to complain about them breaking the contract... forget it! It is China and they do not have to care.

David

What is the problem with that, the women are better looking, more caring and have more ambition that Thai people.

You have obviously not taught English in China

No but I have taught Mathematics.

Firstly, learn how to speak Thai to a reasonable level. Your students will respect you a whole lot more if they can see you have made the effort to learn their language. This respect leads to a positive environment in the classroom. Once you have gained a reasonable level of Thai use it to take advantage over all the others fools that have lived here for years and years, and cannot even order food without their girlfriends help. By this I mean NETWORK, that is as simple as chatting with people in your local restaurants etc.In Thailand word gets around. If a respectable, well dressed, polite farang gentleman that can speak Thai lives in the area you will become known by others very quickly.

Basically, in this country even a highly qualified teacher will fail if they dont learn to adapt. I have seen many many in my times that had ALL the qauls, but just couldnt handle it. I would say that most of the time it was down to them not being willing to integrate. I will get flamed for this BUT if you want to live here and have relaxed and happy life, you have to leave some of you western expectations at home. Things just dont work here sometimes....and I MEAN dont work! The education system is a joke. Unless you work at an international school you will very quickly see this. Your best bet is to try to work within the limitations that you are presented with. To say that it is a lost cause is not correct. There are students that want to learn English, they may be hidden in amongst 40 others in your class but you can reach them. As ridiculous as it sounds this can mean basically ignoring the other kids that dont care (to an extent) and concentrating on what you have. Thailand CANNOT expect teachers to teach 'conversation' with 40 + kids in each class.

Its ok to work for an agency when you first come here BUT investigate beforehand. Ask people on this and other forums about the schools. Do this through private messages as sometimes the websites themselves have a vested interest in not naming and shaming language schools.....for obvious reasons. I have worked both directly for schools and for agencies. Actually at the moment I am working for an agency and its certainly one of the better ones. At the end of the day though, its a middleman and they are taking a cut that you could 'possibly' be gettting. A good agency 'should' know what its doing in regards to workpermits etc.....if not, you are wasting you time.

Be careful of the company which you keep. As I said before, you will, unless living smack bang in the middle of Bangkok become known very quickly. As a teacher you are expected to carry yourself with a certain level of decorum. Even if you are a twenty something, as I was when I first came you still need to carry yourself in a way that resembles a professional teacher. If you want to have fun, let your hair down...maybe mix with the ladies of the night DONT do it in your local area! Dont bring it home with you! I worked with a teacher that brought an obvious prostitute into the school one day. He was oblivious to it, but the Thai's were not. His image INSTANTLY went from being a good one to being dirt. Its just not worth it. Thailand is often hypocritically conservative. I had a teaching assistant once ask me "why do farang like prostitute"? to which I pointed out all the brothels in out local area that serviced exclusively Thai men.....she closed her ears.

Something that grates on certain people that first start teaching here is the emphasis on not being 'too serious'. I am fine with this and its one of the reasons I enjoy teaching here. However, I have worked with others that just cant stand it. You will find that if you start to expect too much.....you will often be disappointed. What constitutes a good lesson in Thailand wouldnt hold any water in Germany! Thats just the way it is and I like it. This doesnt mean that you shouldnt try, it just means that you will get a lot more out of your classes if the students have fun learning AND they can see YOU are having fun. This is even the case for adult classes. I am teaching at a company in the evenings at the moment. There are managers, engineers....all manner of professional people in the class BUT the reality is its still like teaching kids (I actually mean this in a positive way) I CANNOT get too serious or I lose them. They want to have fun, they want a relaxed atmosphere in the class, they want laughter and teasing...GAMES!!!! This is fine by me but I can imagine that some people are not suited to it. There are other countries to teach English in. For a more serious set of students you need to look elsewhere.

Living here for me is great. I enjoy my job most of the time, and that more than a lot of people I know can say. In a way I envy you, stepping off the plane, everything being new.....its great! Just be smart about it. Maintain a professional but not too serious demeanor. Get rid of the beard, at least to start with. First impressions count for a lot anywhere in the world BUT even more so here. Get your hair cut. Buy some nice clothes when you get here, clothes are cheap and no one will know the difference. The end of term is approaching, its a decent time to be looking but sometime in March/April is better. Actually, at the moment there seem to be a lot leaving, so I dont think you should have too much trouble. The fact that you actually have a degree (a lot here dont) will stand you in good stead for a while.

Goodluck

• Like 2

Say, I speak both English and Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese and Hokkien, in fact). Besides Thai and Malay. Are they really looking that badly?

OK this picture question brought up a fond memory for me...

I have hired many teachers and trainers in my day, so I have received many resumes. One resume came complete with a very professional picture of the gentleman wearing a very nice suit and tie, clean shaven, hair neatly combed... and just behind him to the left a pair of and cuffs lined with pink fur!!!

LOL

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your responses. smile.png

You mentioned that the picture is important. What can I do to make mine more 'acceptable'. For example I have a beard. Should I get rid?

Short hair?

Body shot or close up face shot?

And anything else I should know.

Yeah, looks like I'll check out Ajarn as well!

Shave your beard, get a decent haircut, wear a suit and a neck tie. Being well dressed and mannered is already half way in.

Create some sets of resumes and visit schools in person in the area you'd like to live/stay.

You might consider to read "my private dancer" first....Best of luck.

There is no way Chinese girls are better looking.

There are some gorgeous women in China. Amazing. But they are 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 100,000. China has 1.3 billion people, so ther are plenty of them, but your average Thai girl is way more attractive than your average Chinese girl, and its not even close.

David

What is the problem with that, the women are better looking, more caring and have more ambition that Thai people.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. Even the tongue in cheek ones. ;)

I feel like I'm starting to understand what to do and what to expect.

Some of you are asking why Bangkok. I have a friend there already, he's a teacher too. Oh, and of course I've met my Thai Soulmate online and we're going to get married... joke!

I'm going to start applying for jobs before I go. Maybe it is super easy to jump on a plane and get a job when you're there, but that would be kinda intense right? I mean, to land in a country where you don't know where anything is, and you don't speak the language, and you don't understand the culture all that well...

I think, at the very least, I would like to know I've actually got the job sorted.

That sounds promising. I'm a native speaker.

Can you tell me where to apply, or the name of the school?

Yes indeed, NES teachers are in rather short supply at present. I advertised my old job (it paid quite well considering the few hours I actually taught) and the only replies I received were from Filipinos, Indians and Africans even though the ad stated NES only. It was well above the 30,000 baht so I was shocked that no one applied.

I'd hold out for 35,000 to 40,000 in the BKK area as it's a buyer's market. The last thing I'd do is work for an agency unless it's one of the better ones. Am I allowed to name one or two? A_C or B_ll Language look after their teachers and pay well above the base salary.

I don't know what those names are. Can you pm me?

Do not get a job online. First of all if a school hires you without a demo lesson or without you actually seeing how they run their operation, you might not last. I know it may seem daunting but it is much easier to get a job here then from emails. The majority of jobs that are posted online don't respond to emails. I know it sounds ridiculous but it is true.

There are plenty of jobs and coming here and getting settled first might be better than being stuck in a job/area of the city you don't like.

Several off topic and rude posts have been removed from view. And a member has received an official warning.

Please abide by forum rules, specifically, these:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Thanks for all the responses. Even the tongue in cheek ones. wink.png

Some of you are asking why Bangkok. I have a friend there already, he's a teacher too. Oh, and of course I've met my Thai Soulmate online and we're going to get married... joke!

I'm going to start applying for jobs before I go. Maybe it is super easy to jump on a plane and get a job when you're there, but that would be kinda intense right? I mean, to land in a country where you don't know where anything is, and you don't speak the language, and you don't understand the culture all that well...

I think, at the very least, I would like to know I've actually got the job sorted.

Since you already have a friend in Bangkok who is a teacher there, then the simplest way is just to fly in, squat at his place for a month, go out and sell yourself to all the schools nearby. Come about a month before the new term starts.

Wait, you can even come now, if you want, because there are many schools caught with their pants down, so to speak, because their foreign teachers went for their regular visa runs and never came back or were not allowed to come back.

You have obviously not taught English in China

-------------------

Look into teaching English in Vietnam.

Especially if you are English teacher that is really a English national.

The Vietnamese, at least in Ho Chi Minh city and other areas in the South ,really want to learn English. They regard it as the way to secure a good future job.

And if you are actually an English person by birth you will be looked on as the real deal, the elite with real English, and in demand.

The only drawback is that the salary is still low.

And in Vietnam, while there are clubs and bars,you need to learn that Ho Chi Minh is not Pattaya or even Bangkok

So don't expect the same "nightlife".

Thanks for all the responses. Even the tongue in cheek ones. wink.png

Dont sweat the details man, getting a job is INCREDIBLY easy. It also gives you a month or so of acclimatizing to the whole "holy shit holy shit holy shit!" of it all.

Roll in, book a serviced apartment with a pool for a month, chill out for a few days to get your bearings. Take a few sojurns into town to see the main sights. Then after a week or so of adjusting to the heat (and if youre like me, only leaving the hotel after dusk because crotch rot/chafing is NASTY), get on your computer, post your resume up, send out some applications to agencies. And voila, within a week youll be picked up. If youre quick, well, you get to decide if youre going to suck up the loss on the service apartment and head to your new gig. If not, then youve got a month to score a job. The only people who need a month to score a job are the serious basket cases. And theres plenty of them in Thailand making you almost instantly marketable by comparison.

You'll need at best two days to pick up a paying gig around 30,000.

And none of this even speaks of just popping to nearby schools, dressed sharp, and clutching your CV in hand. Meet the head of English, ask them about their situation. If you have any kind of charm or charisma, you now get to price yourself into your job.

One word of warning:

Many agency contracts will contain a clause that means you are in effect a term by term employee. Understand that outside of those terms, you get paid squat. You need to supplement your income. Understand further, that Thailand schools take rather long holidays. This means somewhere around 9/12 months of pay and 3 months of whatever other work you can get. This is one of the advantages of calling your own wage and doorstepping. Agencies are in competition with other agencies for contracts, so its a race to the bottom. Speculative enquiries arent. If youre there, good to go, and the head of dept likes you, well, you have a bit more leeway.

Of course it also means that you are now beholden to your employer and dont have that buffer we all enjoy with the agency (if you screw up, or if the school just doesnt like you, agencies will look after you usually because they have more jobs than teachers). Swings and roundabouts.

What else?

Ah, if you hate public school teaching, dont fret. Have a crack at another age group or even private lessons. Private lessons usually pay better as well. They're also far easier than public school teaching. Lots of ways to make a buck so to speak. Dont just assume you hate teaching just because public school is a bit more... complicated :)

One last thing. DO TRY and stick with a contract for a full year. I know you might be tearing your hair out, but having at least one year experience under your wing means that you have the startings of a career. So long as youre still pretty young, one year of experience puts you above the people in your exact situation right now (outside the country, having to pick from a very small number of the actual positions (usually garbage), and looking just to get your foot in the door). This gives you opportunities in countries outside Thailand. If theres one great thing about Teaching in Thailand for me, its that you can get an entry level, no aggro job to at least learn some of the fundamentals and get that valuable classroom experience. Outside of Thailand, things get more picky and youre competing with cats with lots of experience, decent qualifications, and all for a limited number of placements. That one year experience puts you in the running for most ESL positions.

Anyways, good luck dude!

• Like 1

Have you thought about Korea?

I made $2,200 USD a month. I got my plane ticket reimbursed, and the school paid for my flight home. I got an extra paycheck at the end of my contract. Free housing and the cost of living in Korea is still cheap. You can expect to save $10-12 thousand dollars a year. This depends on your spending habits.

You look young so you're not going to have issues with your age. Yes, being old can be an issue when looking for a job in Asia.

Edited by benj005

Meh, just to add-on I worked in Korea for a few years, saved a bit of money and paid for further eduaction. Having said that, Chinese salaries seem to be creeping up or even passing the Korean ones. Living in Korea was pretty good though, not sure if I can say the same about China...